Chapter 4 > Thundertree

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 4 > Thundertree

#261 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston will attempt to identify the potion: Identifying Using Arcana Skill: [1d20+7] = 4+7 = 11

I still have a friend bound and terrified in the next building. I suggest we search for what we can find, rest, and start heading to Neverwinter with whatever intelligence Carl has for us. Perhaps he can give us a tour of the cultist headquarters and provide us with supplies or other arcana to repent his misdeeds.

Ioriston will head back to Carl and ask him if he will show us the cultist hideout.

Your cultist friends are dead or will be soon. I will give you a chance to recant on your cultist position and flee if you show us the cultist hideout and provide us with supplies from the now defunct cult. This chance will only be given once and the alternative is being turned over to the dragon herself.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by hedgeknight »

From the DMG on identifying properties of magical items:
Potions are an exception; a little taste is enough to tell the taster what the potion does.

Ioriston decides to unstopper the vial and stick his thumb over the opening to get just a small taste...and once he does, he feels slightly light-headed and affirms the vial contains a potion of flying.

Carl, the cultist prisoner, is glad to show the group the hideout...but when he arrives and sees the devastation...and the blood stains...he is confused and scared. "Did the d-dragon...where are all the others?"
Noting the box with the diamonds, he says, "Looks like you found our booty. Favric was going to offer the diamonds to the dragon as a means of appeasing her. He usually kept his spellbook in his...ah yes, here it is."
Carl moves into the corner of the room and lifts a piece of the flooring out near a cot. The inside space is just big enough for a small book. The tome is reddish brown and has a golden clasp. As far as you can tell there is no lock.

Carl sets it down carefully and takes a step back from it. "That's all I know. Can I leave now?"
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#263 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston will examine the spellbook for spells that he could possibly add to his own. He will then hold on to the spell book.

Run, Carl. And don't ever come back to Thundertree if you value your life.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#264 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton takes back the potion and stoppers it again.

Flying you say? Well, who could benifit most from something like that?

He tries to peer over the wizards shoulder as he looks at the book.

Anything good in there for me?

The young man looks around the room closely again for good measure, wondering if they should leave for Neverwinter immediately, instead.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by hedgeknight »

Favric's spellbook (luckily for you) is not trapped and contains the following spells:

Cantrips: Acid Splash, Chill Touch, Dancing Lights, Firebolt, Mage Hand
1st Level: Burning Hands, Detect Magic, Feather Fall, Shield, Thunderwave
2nd Level: Continual Flame, Melf's Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray

There are also six blank pages in the back of the book; room for more spells perhaps.
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#266 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Can I copy these into my spell book?
PC History:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by hedgeknight »

wordoftheoracle wrote:Run, Carl. And don't ever come back to Thundertree if you value your life.
Carl is not one to be told twice and he tears away from his captors like a man possessed, quickly disappearing into the woods south of the village.
It is approximately 9:00 am in the morning; the forest has returned to normal since the dragon's leaving. Ioriston and Kelton examine Favric's personal spellbook. Aslaan and Gerland are searching for the alchemist shop > Gerland made a promise to find a family heirloom and does not wish to leave the ruined village without it.

Where exactly are you looking?
Make a Perception roll...
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#268 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Perception: [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11

I suggest resting after we complete searching these ruins. We should then proceed to Neverwinter. Dragons seldom get distracted when their offspring is at stake.
PC History:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#269 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton

If we must rest before we depart, then we can take this whole day to search these ruins. We should be able to find what we seek in that much time.

We can set up a camp here and get some good sleep tonight before we travel.

Now....... what are we looking for here again? Some kind of heirloom?

Kelton will hold onto the potion for now but is happy to use it cooperatively at anytime.
adding P-Flying to sheet

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#270 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

We can search adjacent buildings in pairs for safety and to speed things up. I can start over here (building 8) and the other group can search there (6). Then we can move to search those two (4 and 5).

Aslaan begins to cautiously search in building 8, looking for anything to suggest an alchemist shop.

perception check [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#271 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton

Good idea Aslaan! I will go with you.

The fighter helps with searching the ruined buildings, looking for anything of interest.

Perception Check [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by hedgeknight »

Searching the ruins, the group breaks off into pairs > Aslaan and Kelton go search one building (#8), while Ioriston and Gerland go to search another (#6).

Aslaan and Kelton walk over to the building and see a wide chimney and piles of rotted firewood jumbled outside its walls; this would suggest it was perhaps a smithy in its day. Aslaan ventures inside with Kelton close behind. Slumped on the floor are two figures...which immediately begin to climb to their feet...
ash-zombie.jpg
ash-zombie.jpg (14.85 KiB) Viewed 503 times

Meanwhile, Ioriston and Gerland walk over toward the building north of their companions. They are startled to recognize all of the webbing from the spiders they fought the night before. Gerland looks at Ioriston and both wonder the same thing aloud, "Do you think the druid still lives?"
They ease around the structure and peer through a broken window to an inside room. There they see a horrific sight: strung up for food is a figure, which can be none other than the druid. The webbing is fresh and the spider guarding it is huge! Another spider, curled up dead, lies on the floor, doubtless one the druid, Reidoth, was able to kill before he was taken...
Spider_s_Victim_2003.jpg
Spider_s_Victim_2003.jpg (59.59 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Actions?
Aslaan > down 6 hp
Gerland > down 3 hp
Ioriston > down 3 hp
Kelton > down 1 hp
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#273 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

In a dramatic whisper Aslaan shares, I don't understand it. Splitting up is almost always helpful.

He backs away, firing his bow at the nearest of the two creatures. Whispering, splash oil on them and I'll use a fire arrow next. Let's avoid hand to hand with these things as much as possible.

To hit: [1d20+7] = 10+7 = 17, damage with longbow [1d8+3] = 3+3 = 6

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#274 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Initiative: [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18

Ioriston gestures towards the really big spider:

Gerland, it is time to make quick work of this spider with a spell I've been meaning to try. We can then save our druid friend.

Ioriston narrows his eyes and concentrates. As he does this he puts both his arms out and casts Scorching Ray!

Scorching Ray: Ranged Touch Attack: [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22 Damage: [4d6] = 18
PC History:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#275 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Initiative [1d20-1] = 4-1 = 3

Again, Kelton is slow to act behind his friend, but not too slow to argue.

These are creatures of ash. Do you really think that fire will harm them?

The Eldritch Knight instead backs away with Aslaan, willing to follow his instructions about avoiding hand to hand combat.

He fires off one of his spells at the closest monster, hoping that their combined damage will bring it down.

Magic Missile [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4 [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2 [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by hedgeknight »

Beating Up the Locals, Rd. 1

Aslaan and Kelton trade ideas as each back away, firing regular and magical missiles at one of the zombies. Aslaan's arrow punches through the undead's chest and out the other side, while Kelton's volley of energy bolts stagger it...but somehow it keeps on coming! (Total dmg 17)
Actions! The zombies move pretty quickly and will be on you in the next round...unless you run away screaming like little girls. :D

A house or so away, Ioriston and Gerland spy the giant spider and its cocooned prey and Ioriston eagerly tries one of his new spells. Invoking his magic, he unleashes a scorching ray of fire at the spider, hitting it directly and knocking it off the thick webbing. Hissing and spitting, the giant arachnid thrashes on the ground...and then rights itself, while searching for the one who hurt it so badly. Somehow, it is still alive and it appears to be preparing to fire its webbing at you!

Gerland gets an action (Dogma? Jump in here man!) and then Ioriston and Gerland get another action because they surprised the creature! So, roll me some dice!!
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#277 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

The point about how being made of ash may blunt fire's efficacy is disappointing. Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Looking quickly at the building's structure and stability, Ummm...could we trigger a collapse to at least slow them down?

He fires another arrow to buy them time.

To hit: [1d20+7] = 15+7 = 22, damage with longbow [1d8+3] = 4+3 = 7

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#278 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston, pleased with the effect of his new spell, decides that a simple magic missile should finish this angry spider off.

Gerland, do something productive! If you do not, the spider will see me a the sole antagonist!

Ioriston again fans out his hands in front of him and fires off three glowing missiles at the spider.

Magic Missile: 1st Missile Damage: [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4; Second Missile Damage: [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5; Third Missile Damage: [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5

The dice gods have finally smiled on me!!! Dogma, you're up! Welcome to Thundertree!
PC History:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#279 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton smiles at the effect of the spell he just cast. He stops smiling when he sees the things are still advancing.

I will see if my ax has any affect on them!

Pulling out his ax seems to give the man trouble and his swing suffers because of it.

To Hit [1d20+3] = 1+3 = 4, Damage of Great Axe [1d12+3] = 6+3 = 9 :roll:

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#280 Post by Dogma »

wordoftheoracle wrote:
Gerland, do something productive! If you do not, the spider will see me a the sole antagonist!
I would love to but I don't have Gerland's character sheet so I dont know what he can do :)

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”