chapter 1- just arriving

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 1- just arriving

#61 Post by coil23 »

Turie gives you directions to the Comfrey Leaf.

It is the eastern most building on the Goat's Plum map, nestled in that nook of trees.

Following Turie's directions you see the walled compound on your left for that huge central building you passed earlier. The methodical clanging of metal brings you to a long building directly behind the compound. A large open barn door displays the inside of a smithy with a dwarf working metal on an anvil.
Attachments
Toldren's smithy-Goat's Plum Crossing.jpg
Toldren's smithy-Goat's Plum Crossing.jpg (188.4 KiB) Viewed 262 times

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by coil23 »

Continuing on you come to the walkway up to the house on your right, a sign in front confirms this is the Comfrey Leaf. To the right of the house you see the edge of what looks like a sizable garden and a woman kneeling, working the ground. She looks up as you approach and greets you.

Good afternoon. I'm Silring. How may I help you?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by Mant72 »

Tip Briarberry:

"Good afternoon, kind lady. Might perhaps we have a look at your wares? We are in need of replenishing our supply of pipeweed. You wouldn't have any shire smoke by chance? I would also be interested in any healing herbs you might have. Thank you very much."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by coil23 »

Now I don't have Shire Smoke but I have something I have been told is very similar. If that works for you then I can help you on both counts.

Standing up and wiping her hands on her pants, she walks over to lead you into the store. Inside the building your nose is met with myriad smells and you see bundles of plants hanging on the walls to dry. A large cabinet against one wall holds numerous small drawers, shelves on another wall hold small boxes and bottles and dried bundles of vegetation. Sunlight through the windows cheers the room considerably though there are many candles burning throughout the room. A large kettle sits over the fire burning in the hearth. A tall young man kneeling on the floor sorting through plants looks up as you enter. Stairs on the far side of the room lead up.
Comfrey Leaf shop-Goat's Plum Crossing.jpg
Comfrey Leaf shop-Goat's Plum Crossing.jpg (43.35 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Retrieving a packet from one of the small drawers she hands it to Tip. Try that and see what you think. Like it and I have some to sell. Multiple flavors though. As for healing herbs, what do you need? Is someone in your group ill?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by Mant72 »

Tip Briarberry:

Tip greatfully accepts the sample packet, opens it, and smells its contents. "This smells excellent! I think this will serve just fine. I'll go ahead and take a pouch of your finest, please. As for healing herbs, no ma'am, no one is injured. Thanks for asking; however, we are embarking on a journey to the local outpost, and we might be in need of some plants with medicinal properties. Do you have anything that can staunch wounds or counter the effects of poison? Oh, and can you tell us anything about the outpost or the surrounding forest?"

Realizing he is prattling and bombarding Silring with questions, Tip pardons himself. "Excuse me for being overly inquisitive, ma'am."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn > Dwarf

Walking down the road, Graela is enjoying the day, she's even forgotten (for the moment) that all she wanted was a nice place to rest and a bath. As she passes the forge, she sees another dwarf working the ore and can't help but stop and watch a bit. If he notices her, she nods and says, "Whatcha workin' on?"
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Pulpatoon »

Comfrey Leaf

Salt Peter
pokes around, shoving his nose in anything he can reach and inhaling deeply, and then rubbing his nostrils appreciatively. "Wolfsbane? Belladonna? Garlic? Osha? Sounds like ther surroundings is infested w' spirits 'n ghoolies."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by coil23 »

in Comfrey Leaf:

Oh, you're the ones Unburr is sending out there? Shakes her head. I guess it is a testament to you looking capable. He and the mayor are on the lookout for capable people lately. Probably paying you better than usual too to keep you. Well, if you are going out there we want to make sure you come back so... She retrieves a piece of leather folded and tied closed. Unfolding the packet you see some bandages, small packets of herbs and vegetation, needle and gut, and accessories. She places a small leather bowl on top for mixing the poultices. She places three small vials next to these items.

The tobacco pouch for your morale will be 2 gold, the healing pouch is 4 gold and is good for four treatments, the antidote vials are 1 gold apiece-they help but are no guarantee. All told this would be 9 gold. I do have a lesser tobacco blend for 1 gold if you prefer.

And another thing...while you're probably ok in the woods between here and the outpost since they patrol that stretch pretty heavily, who knows what is beyond that. I can send Hennoth here indicates the kneeling young man in the room with you if you like. He knows the near woods and is an acolyte of Pelor so is able to tend the ailing.Though he is a bit...simple At that she points to her head. he is a good lad and will do as he's told. The choice is yours. Now when you get to the outpost, talk to Mom. She runs the place and knows the area.

Some people say they see things that can unmoor a person. Just remember who you were before all this, stay true to that to stay grounded. And come see me anytime.

While talking to Tip and Travix her eyes follow Salt Peter's explorations. Her facial expressions seem to hover between mildly amused and a shopkeeper's concern over an errant child.

Graela's stroll:

After a few moments the dwarf raises his head and sees Graela watching. Nodding a greeting and cracking a smile he stops working. God day to you. Just fixing a plow for a farm. You just passing through?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#69 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

Knowing full well that this woman might be one of the groups number one allies, the mage listens and looks on intently. He shows her the utmost in respect and tries to judge her impression of the group, despite the curious halflings questionable antics.

We would welcome the company of your Hennoth gladly, goodly Silring. If he is indeed skilled in the healing arts, then perhaps we can learn from each other along the way. Do not fret his simplicity, this group is not lacking on intellect.

Looking over the herbalists wares while jingling his new coin, Travix smiles. We will take what you have, and toss in another packet of your best pipe herbs for an old man, would you please. Travix counts out ten gold coins and sets them down on the counter.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Mant72 »

Tip Briarberry:

"Nothing but the best smoke for me, gracious lady!" Tip willingly accepts the healing bundle and pouch of tobacco, then pays the good lady. He also throws in an extra gold coin to demonstrate his appreciation. "Thank you kindly for everything." He bows to her, showing the utmost respect.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by coil23 »

in Comfrey Leaf:

While Silring's kindness and concern seem genuine, she does certainly seem to be appraising the group. You note nothing to suggest a negative impression of you though it is clear she is still making up her mind. She adds another pouch of tobacco as requested.

Nodding her head to indicate she is referring to Hennoth, It was a childhood incident that caused him some difficulties but he stood strong and protected the other children.The blow to the head had the most lasting effects.
She seems to be referring to Hennoth appearing a little ragged- when he first glanced up and smiled at your entrance you saw he had an eyepatch over his left eye and several teeth missing. He continues to sort plants on the floor, apparently oblivious of being the topic of conversation.

Silring humbly bows her head upon receiving the extra pay for the items and murmurs a thank you.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by Mant72 »

Tip Briarberry:

Tip walks over to Hennoth and crouches beside him to see what he is doing with the plants. He extends his small hand to shake the tall man's hand, "Hi, I'm Tip. Nice to meet you. Would you like to show us the way to the outpost?" Tip is in no way trying to being facetious or trying to ridicule the young man; he is simply being kind.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth reaches out to shake Tip's hand and nods his head. Hello.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Pulpatoon »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Do not fret his simplicity, this group is not lacking on intellect.
On cue, Salt Peter falls off a stool with a particularly large clove stuck in one nostril. He bats at his own face with hands and feet, sneezing violently, until he dislodges it.

Picking up on what the others are doing, he fishes out four gold and passes them to Tip. With his purse still out, he says to Silring, "I weren't just countin' yer stock. I'd like a store of herbs fer haints 'n whisps. Wolfsbane, belladonna, garlic, 'n osha. I'll take a bagga salt, if'n ye gottit."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn > Dwarf

"Yep, just passing through. Might be heading to the outpost on the morrow. Maybe we can have a beer later tonight at the Nanny."

Graela smiles then and moves on, entering the Comfrey Leaf.
Seeing her companions and the man sifting plants, and Salty acting a fool, she chuckles and says, "Why didn't ya wait for me? I was just about to get some good information."

Seeing the owner of the place, she smiles. "Graela is my name. Have my friends about wore you out?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth stares wide-eyed at Salt Peter, frozen, seemingly wondering if this is all some horrific fit and if it is contagious.

With a sigh Silring nods in assent to the herbal requests by the halfling. Looking up at the newcomer she smiles. Well met, Graela, I am Silring. Just getting to know your friends. Feel free to look around though I can't say I recommend the cloves any longer.

Turning back to Salt Peter she points at the clove lying on the floor, That one is now yours. Silring gathers the items for Salt Peter and places them next to the others on the table. That will be 10 gold for the specialty items.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#77 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix smiles at the motley fools he's now gotten himself involved with.

If we have what we need from this fine woman, we should be off.

Graela, do you wish to speak further with this smith?

Does anyone have other interests still to shop for?

He follows Tip's lead and also introduces himself to Hennoth, extending his hand. Hello my boy! So, you are somewhat of a hero in these parts already then? We will be glad to have you come along on our journey if you please! I am Travix! Welcome to our group!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Pulpatoon »

coil23 wrote:That will be 10 gold for the specialty items.
Salt Peter forks over the cash. "A pleasure, miss."
Catching up on bookkeeping: Subtracting 5 sp from gambling, 4 gp for a share of the healing kit, and 10 for ghost herbs.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth reaches out to shake Travix's hand and nods, saying hello, exactly as he did with Tip.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by Mant72 »

Tip Briarberry:

"I am prepared to depart if everyone else is." Tip looks around expectantly at the others, stands up, and brushes the dust from the tops of his feet. He looks to Silring, "Thank you very much for introducing us to our guide, Hennoth, and for the herbs. Is there anything you would ask of us? You have been very helpful and generous."

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”