Session Strategy

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Session Strategy

#41 Post by dmw71 »

Xaxyx wrote:... so we can all have infravision.
I had been searching for an image of a human wizard (thankfully I hadn't found one yet), but I do like the idea of having an entire party with infravision capabilities.

Maybe I will make my character an elf or half elf instead?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by Alethan »

Of course, any proper searching for hidden doors, secret doors, traps, or anything of the like, would have to be done by torch or lantern light, not by infravision.

So... light sources are still necessary. Only, maybe bulls-eye lanterns? Or, at least, lanterns that can be fully shuttered?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#43 Post by Xaxyx »

dmw71 wrote:
Xaxyx wrote:... so we can all have infravision.
I had been searching for an image of a human wizard (thankfully I hadn't found one yet), but I do like the idea of having an entire party with infravision capabilities.

Maybe I will make my character an elf or half elf instead?
Sorry, I forgot that you still had the option to be human, and didn't mean to assume. It's entirely up to you, of course.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by dmw71 »

Xaxyx wrote:Sorry, I forgot that you still had the option to be human, and didn't mean to assume. It's entirely up to you, of course.
Knowing there's no level limit on non-human characters, it almost doesn't make sense to play a silly human with no racial benefits. ;)

I will almost certainly be playing an elf.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by Nuke66 »

Xaxyx wrote:You have a race/weapon preference, Nuke? My suggestion would be to put your 15 in dex, choose elf to make it a 16 (+1 initiative; -2 AC) and specialize in long sword (for which elves get a natural +1 to-hit).

Assuming this appeals to you, I'll probably go with a different weapon. Two-handed sword is always a good conversation starter. Perhaps a half-elf, so we can all have infravision.

I was thinking much the same way, It would be nice to get at least one stat bonus.

I'll get into it over the weekend, when there isn't so much time at work.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by saalaria »

DMW - I guess we will prob have the most spare cash due to not buying expensive armour. Do you want to discuss miscellaneous equipment purchases so we don't duplicate?
SAM

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by saalaria »

Is that party makeup then 3 elves, 1 half elf and a dwarf?...should get some interesting reactions from those pesky humans!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by dmw71 »

saalaria wrote:DMW - I guess we will prob have the most spare cash due to not buying expensive armour. Do you want to discuss miscellaneous equipment purchases so we don't duplicate?
SAM
I haven't rolled for my starting money yet, but I'm always willing to discuss party strategy. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#49 Post by Xaxyx »

None of my business really, but coordinating purchases in this manner seems a tad suspect to me, unless your characters know each other in their backgrounds or something.

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#50 Post by Omega1143 »

Agreed Xa...Make your purchases seperate of one another. And also, Xa, can you come up with a last name for your PC? Im anally thorough LOL

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by saalaria »

Okay - fine by me but I don't see the difference between that and discussing character classes and stats allocations ...

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#52 Post by Xaxyx »

(Disclaimer: I am not the DM, this is just my opinion, etc etc).

In my view, offering abstract advice as pertains to the construction of one's character is a wholly objective concept. So too would be making recommendations as to specific gear to buy; for example, I often suggest players splurge on splint mail when they can afford it, and so forth.

Coordinating purchases between characters, on the other hand, is applying out-of-game knowledge to in-character decisions. Why would your *character* not have any water skins? How would he possibly know that just inside that tavern is a fellow adventurer who happened to have bought some extra?

Here's another example: I suggested to dmw71 that he build a character revolving around the use of the long sword. I, in turn, built a character revolving around the use of the two-handed sword. That's fine, insofar as that each of our character concepts have nothing to do with one another, no influence over one another and their decision-making. It's a completely distinct process.

Whereas, what if I had asked dmw71, who may have rolled very well on his starting gold, to start with an "extra" two-handed sword in his pack, so he could hand it over to me after we meet? Even though he has no use for the weapon, no justification for having one? That would be using out-of-character knowledge to directly affect a character's decision to purchase an item.

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by Omega1143 »

Agreed that there is a difference. I don't have a problem with you discussing general purchasing advice etc. It's like Xa stated where you coordinate to benefit each other.

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#54 Post by Omega1143 »

Also, you should not view this as a "PC party vs. DM story" as something to be won, defeated or conquered when creating your PC's or equipping them. You should view this as a story to be roleplayed and don't rely so much on what stats make your PC the best or advantageous in exchange for not playing a PC you would enjoy playing. I'm not out to kill everyone, it's not an impossible adventure with the stats you rolled up, and I expect players who will embrace the roleplaying part as much as the hack and slash. Furthermore, this adventure is very NON-Linear. I have a direction I'm sure you will all eventually end up going in, yet I'm more excited about how you are going to get there. I'm not sure about any previous campaigns everyone has played but mine do not have one direction, one town, one dungeon, etc. My campaign's are very well thought out and prepared with many locations to visit, NPC's/monsters to interact with and rewards and consequences with every choice made. My campaigns are not static but dynamic and I try to make them as LIVING as possible. That is the reason the supplemental website is created to keep it all straight. You will not be able to defeat everything you come across. You will not be able to solve every puzzle. And you will not find every magical item that is there. That is the fun that I find in PbP games is I am afforded time to prepare for anything possible the party throws out there. So have fun and don't pay so much attention to "advantages".

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by saalaria »

Looks very good to me so far - I like the level of detail you have crafted and work you have put in Omega so definitely looking forward to getting started. Will have the CRS done tomorrow I hope.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by Nuke66 »

well, looking over the specialization rules, I am re-thinking it.

Bows cost 3 WP slots, and only really give a +2 to hit at point blank range. With the elf +1 to hit, and +1 for DEX that is a +4 total. No additional attacks, and with no STR bonus, I get no bonus to damage.

Long Sword costs 2 WP slots but gives +1 to hit, and +2 damage. With the elf +1 to hit, that is +2,+2 for hit and damage, and 3/2 attacks/round

with 1d8 damage on an arrow, and 1d8,1d12 on a long sword the math for damage works out:

1d8 x 4 vs 1d8+2 x 3 over two rounds. Just for comparison, assume 4.5 mean damage on a 1d8...so

4.5x4 = 18 for the bow and
6.5x3 = 19.5 for the long sword. Obviously, that goes way up for large creatures at 1d12 at 8.5x3 = 25.5

but, considering the 'to Hit' of +4 vs +2 I would discount the sword damage by 10% (2 points on a d20) or about 17.5 & 23 damage for the sword.

So, all told, it is almost a wash, but only at 'point blank' range.

Just being proficient in a Bow still gives +2 to hit, so me thinks a Long Sword specialization is more appropriate use of the rules.

Now, IF I had more STR and DEX, the bow becomes much more effective.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#58 Post by Alethan »

Ummm... To hell with the numbers and the math. It's a game. Which ever one you would ENJOY playing the most is the one you should do.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by Nuke66 »

agreed, I want to be effective....I would enjoy playing an archer more if I had better STR and DEX, so Melee it is.

Just as an aside, our HP rolls all suck.

3 fighters with rolls of 3,3,1

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#60 Post by Omega1143 »

Looks like you will be forced to me more tactical and charismatic to start off with!

Return to “Tavern Tales”