Questions for the DM

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Questions for the DM

#1 Post by Omega1143 »

Post any and all questions for the DM regarding in and out of game concerns. The DM will answer these here for all players to see for the benefit of the campaign. Keep in mind that any questions you do not want other players to see need to be PM'd and will be kept private unless you indicate otherwise. This may occur in regards to PC actions in secret, PC actions when the other PC's are not present and even general game questions you may be embarrassed to ask. The DM is trusting all players that for the integrity of the game to PM certain questions instead of posting them if their PC is the only one privy to information in regards to that question (ie PC separation etc.).

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Spheres of Influence? Mythos?

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Are there not just plain clerics in 2E? What is a mythos? A sphere of influence? Are these required for priest characters in 2E?

If someone could shed some light on how clerics (or priests) are created in 2E, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
- Dave
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Proficiencies

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Forgive me if you've answered this question elsewhere, but are proficiencies (weapon and/or non-weapon) being used? Secondary skills?

Additionally, is weapon specialization an option for fighters?

Thanks,
- Dave

[edit: added question about secondary skills.]
-- Project --
-- DM --

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Questions for the DM

#4 Post by Omega1143 »

I will answer all of those questions in one post.

1. Weapon and non-weapon proficiences are seperate from each other and both are being used. You will need to select both for your PC. Keep in mind that on the intelligence chart in the PHB under # of languages, that number is also being used for bonus non-weapon proficiency slots so add that to your class total when creating.

2. Weapon specialization is just for fighters. If you need help doing the math and figuring it out if you make a fighter just PM me.

3. Secondary skills are not being used. Just ignore them. They were sort of a way to lump non-weapon proficiencies into a group for easier selection making your PC less customizable. Just select non-weapon proficiencies ala carte.

4. In my campaigns you can create "just" a cleric. You will choose a Greyhawk god to follow upon completion during your background phase and I will guide you through the benefits of following that god. It's not as complicated as it looks. I would walk you through it. The mythoi actually add a little bit of flavor to your PC and provide decent benefits if you want to go that route. PM me if you want to dicuss it further.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by saalaria »

As you may have seen I will go elf mu / thief. Can you advise number of starting spells? I go with thief cash - correct?
Is the roller now fixed do you know?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Encumbrance

#6 Post by dmw71 »

(2E PHB, page 102)
I see they list 'Basic Encumbrance' (table 47) and 'Specific Encumbrance' (table 48).

Can you share how encumbrance is tracked in your campaign?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Omega1143 »

The number of starting spells and your spellbook will be determined in the background phase which is last as I will go over it with you then. If you really need to know now if it affects how you you create your PC then I will be happy to delve into it tonight. You roll for thieves cash correct. As far as the dice roller, X is the pro on it . U think he said that only one roll at a time works? X help me out here!

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by Xaxyx »

ToniXX has made some updates to the roller today, and so far, it seems to be working correctly. So I'll give it a tentative thumbs-up, though I intend to perform some more rigorous testing tonight to confirm.

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Omega1143 »

Encumbrance is only going to be tracked for the purpose of max. weight allowed to be carried. I'm not going to get into the tracking of encumbrance in terms of combat pluses, minuses, movement etc. Common sense will be used in terms of combat movement in specific posts. It will be my descretion whether you reach a kobold in a 50' x 50' room from halfway across the room if you have a kitchen sink on your back. Use table 47 on pg. #76 of the PHB to determined your maximum weight allowance and that will help with equipment purchasing including armor as well as tracking it during adventuring.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by saalaria »

No happy to wait on spells - just asking stuff as I think of it or I'll forget...max hps at 1st level?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Omega1143 wrote:Encumbrance is only going to be tracked for the purpose of max. weight allowed to be carried.... Use table 47 on pg. #76 of the PHB to determined your maximum weight allowance and that will help with equipment purchasing including armor as well as tracking it during adventuring.
Good to know. Thanks! However, one point of clarification, is table 47 on page 76 of your PHB or page 103? I just want to make sure I'm using the right rulebook.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Omega1143 »

We roll for HP's even at 1st level. I like variety. Its pg. # 103 in your PHB. Yours is the latest 2nd edition book. It's practically the same. I have both so when you refer to yours I will now know. The charts are the same. Only very minor changes between the two books. You are good.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Player Characters

#13 Post by dmw71 »

Would you object to creating a new 'Player Characters' topic for players to enter copies of their character sheets? You may have notice many of us create links to our characters in our signatures and I know it has been helpful for me, and I would like to be able to do that for this game as well.

I would have no problem completing the character sheet attachment and sending it to you if you'd still want it, I just know that I would prefer to build and maintain all my character information directly here in the forums if you'd be okay with it.

Thanks,
- Dave
-- Project --
-- DM --

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Omega1143 »

Sure. They will alternately be available on the website also for those of you who want to use that as a supplement. Dave, if you enter it here make sure you include all information that is on that character sheet because I will fill one out for you. I like to have a hard copy for myself and to upload to the website.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Maximum Age

#15 Post by dmw71 »

Not that I expect for this to ever become an issue, but is the DM going to roll the maximum age for each character and record that value privately, or should the players randomly determine the amounts on their own and indicate it on their character sheets?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Omega1143 »

Leave that blank. I will have it recorded secretly. If it ever gets that far god help us LOL.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by Alethan »

Omega1143 wrote:Leave that blank. I will have it recorded secretly. If it ever gets that far god help us LOL.
I take it we won't be running across a baker's dozen of Haste potions, then?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Omega1143
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Omega1143 »

Point taken. I ain't revealing nothing!!! LOL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

Omega1143 wrote:Point taken. I ain't revealing nothing!!! LOL
Oh, sorry! I wasn't trying to make a point. I was just trying to be a smart a**. :) Even if we DID run across 13 Haste pots, our elves could quaff all of them and, for all practical purposes , not have any noticeable effects, what with them having a life span of 1200+ years. Even the dwarf, with a lifespan of 350 years, would be hard pressed to notice the aging effects of a few haste potions.

I suppose the half-elf would have to pay them a little heed...

I agree, though. Even with 20 haste potions in the party, if we ever had to worry about an elf reaching middle or old age... we'll be in trouble of dying from old age ourselves!
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by saalaria »

What are your rules around base languages? As an Elf do I need to spend an NWP picking up Elf/Common?

Return to “Tavern Tales”