Interlude 3: Operation Rescue

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Interlude 3: Operation Rescue

#61 Post by kalstone »

Feeling relieved, Solaine thanks Torgyr. "With all that's going on, I would appreciate some company." She looks disapprovingly at Ranulf. "You'll have to behave yourself, though."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by drpete »

Though it's "allowed" in the area around the gate, people don't go around wearing armor and carrying polearms and such around the city except in very unusual circumstances. This goes for the good guys and the bad guys, too. Leather armor and daggers maybe, but not full combat gear.

Solaine leads Torgyr to a plain looking building on a very narrow street near the main market. Above the door is a sign with a picture of a ripe and juicy peach. Solaine enters the building, revealing what at first looks like a regular public house, but there are large number of women here. Some of them instantly recognize Solaine, and rush up to embrace her, happy to see her and concerned about her condition.

An older, but still attractive woman, Loiza, comes over with a motherly smile on her face, and gives Solaine a big, deep hug. "Welcome home, Soli. Welcome home..."
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#63 Post by kalstone »

Solaine has been fighting to hold her tears back, but seeing her home again causes them to come bursting out. She sobs in Loiza's arms. "Loiza, I'm in trouble. I don't know what's going on." She goes on to explain the beggars watching her every move.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#64 Post by Lamech »

Steel will be non-committal about the workshop idea. He does want to figure out what's wrong with the Dwimmermount, but he might very well be able to better support that as a supporter in a workshop, but even if he continues it would be very useful to have a place to return to. Especially for working on machinery. Regardless they'd need capital, which probably means selling the gems and possibly more crawls. He also might want to start a workshop closer to the mountain. But when I do manage to start a workshop I'll make sure to contact you. Do you have a place to leave messages? Even if we can't set up a place together we could certainly share plans and so forth.

I still have 18gp to deduct.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by drpete »

Torgyr & Solaine:

Loiza listens sympathetically to Solaine's sobs. She offers to help Solaine however she can, but she does not know what she can do. She knows that the beggars are ruled by a figure called the "Beggar King" and his center of power is in the slums down near the waterfront. She cautions you not to go there, because it could be very dangerous.

Aside from this, she is very concerned about your health. She thinks you "stink of death" and wishes that there was something she could do for you.

Steel:
The dwarf is disappointed that you don't want to work with him. He'd be happy to look over your plans, if you have any that you might want to share, but he's not interested in giving any of his secrets to someone who wouldn't want to work with him.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Zorroroaster »

Once out of earshot of the people gathered in the room, Torgyr tries to reassure Solaine.

"Once we've gotten some coin for our goods, we can try and get you fixed up better. I wonder if Galan has found someone who can help us with that?"
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by drpete »

After about a week of shopping the jewels around, Steel is able to find someone who seems quite interested, and is willing to pay you quite well for them. For the lot of jewels (the star ruby and the various gems from the vault) he's willing to offer 2200 gold.

Galen, meanwhile, has been doing his duties at the Temple of Tyche. He comes by for a visit and tells you that the High Priestess has agreed to see you.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr nods at the price.

"Seems fair, and it'll keep us fed for a good while. Let's hang onto the masks and the...other thing for now."

He turns to Solaine. "Let's use some of that cash to get you fixed up and then quit this place. I think I'd rather brave the dungeon than stay here."
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by drpete »

Alright, consider the gems sold, and the group gets 2200 gp.

You head over to the Temple of Tyche, which consists of a a complex of buildings on the top of a hill. You are met at the entrance by a a group of young ladies, who lead you to a round room with a marble floor. The walls have frescoes of various scenes of people... taking in the harvest, selling at the market, winning a war, and so on.

When you enter, a finely-dressed woman stands up from a desk and greets you. This is Morna, Matriarch of the Temple of Tyche, and Senator of Adamas. How do you interact with her?

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#70 Post by barkman »

Randolpho warily steps back, looking at the magnifience compared to his shoddy clothes, he looks downward and allows those with breeding to take the lead in interactions with the Senator.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr bows his head and speaks with respect and humility.

"Matriarch, we come before you out of a great need. One of our fellows is Galan, who I believe is known to you and is a follower of your order. He has been vital in assisting us plumb the depths and mysteries of a fell place called Dwinmermount. We endeavour to uncover it's secrets and hopefully purge it of the evil that resides within. While inside, one of our number was grievously injured and we have journeyed here to Adamas to humbly seek aid in seeing her made whole again."

He indicates Solaine, and clears his throat. "Please, is there anything you can do?"

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#72 Post by kalstone »

Solaine steps forward. Eyes downcast she says, "I understand that I am not of your faith, but I need your help. Please, you are my only hope."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by drpete »

The Matriarch looks over Solaine with a critical eye, assessing the state of her injuries. She seems somewhat skeptical.
"Though Brother Galen is an agent of Tyche, I don't know you, Blade Sister of Mavors, and Fortune hasn't smiled upon you, as she does on Her servants. Are you a friend of Tyche?"

"Many forces are interested in Dwimmermount. We ... might ... be able to help those who would do Tyche's work there, but why should we help you? Can you ... would you demonstrate your appreciation in some way?"
She smiles, somewhat coldly, as she looks from Solaine to Torgyr, and back.

Though she's not on board with helping at the moment, she's signalling that if you make an offer, either financial or for service, she may reconsider...

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by kalstone »

Solaine says, "I understand that Tyche teaches that fate is a Wheel, and that you can't expect to always come out on top. You could say that I am fortunate to even be standing here. My friends here and Brother Galen brought me back from the brink of death. Surely if it was Tyche's will that I die, she would not have permitted Galen to heal me. I was allowed to live for a reason, and you have alluded to that reason."

"The interests of Mavors and Tyche are aligned in this case. We seek to prevent the return of the Turmaxian heresy. That would be a disaster for both our faiths. In order to prevent that though, I need your help. I can offer the sum of 500 gp to contribute to the temple of Tyche. I can also offer my service in whatever capacity Tyche requires. Please, for the sake of all who worship the true gods, help me to prevent this."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by drpete »

Morna nods, thinking it over.

"I will do this for you on one condition. I have heard that there is an Oracle in Dwimmermount which will answer any question put to it truthfully. Locate this Oracle, and ask it a question for me. I must know ... if Termax has escaped."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by kalstone »

Solaine does not hide her shock at the request. Her eyes go wide, she pauses a few seconds, and then says, "Escaped? Termax is dead. He was executed for his heresy."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by drpete »

Morna looks at Solaine carefully, thinking, then answers..."Something survived the execution of the man. A demon? A ghost? That is why the Termaxian heresy arose. That force has not been seen since the Sealing of Dwimmermount. We must know if it is dead, or if it is ... free."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr clears his throat.

"We will do this for you. Please accept the donation from us as a token of our appreciation. Would you have knowledge of Dwimmermount that might help us survive within its walls? We have found it a difficult place to survive up until now. We have lost comrades and barely gained a foothold. Any information as to the location of this Oracle or strategies for dealing with its residents would be of great use to us in accomplishing what you ask."

Torgyr arranges the 500 gold pieces and offers them to the Matriarch.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by kalstone »

Solaine's mind is reeling with the implications of what she has just heard. She tries to sound confident, but her voice is shaky. "Yes. We will find the Oracle. This I vow."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by drpete »

Morna doesn't answer, at first. She pulls a heavy rope, and a minute or so later, a group of young, female acolytes enter.

Morna motions to the money, and one of the girls takes it away. She then tells two others to bring Solaine to the baths. They bow, and lead her away.

She then instructs one to bring refreshments for the rest if the group.

Finally, once things are a bit more civilized, she answers. "We know that Termax created large magical armies... beastmen, undead, demons. All manner of abomination. Through the intervention of Typhon and Tyche, we were beating them back, when the mountain was sealed."

"Many creatures of darkness cannot be harmed by iron weapons, but only by silver, adamantium, or other precious metals. Magic or divine might can be powerful against these foes."

Meanwhile, the girls bring Solaine down into an underground chamber with a thermal bath. They try to remove her clothes and bathe her. They are quite curious about you, but they seem harmless enough, but much more innocent than the girls Solaine grew up with.

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”