Interlude 3: Operation Rescue

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Interlude 3: Operation Rescue

#121 Post by kalstone »

Solaine says, "No, we have two more who are with us. We lost two others in our party. One was called to perform service for Tyche. Another we lost to a tragic carousing accident."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by sulldawga »

Strange, says Zim. This is the first time in my life I've ever heard the words 'tragic' and 'carousing' in the same sentence that didn't also involve a bar closing early.

Still, those are two companions not lost to Dwimmermount so perhaps there's hope after all, yes?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr looks at the man, head cocked sideways.

"Hope for those who choose not to return to Dwimmermount? Absolutely."

He looks around the bar, half hoping to catch sight of Ranulf among the patrons.

"Wherever he is, I have no doubt he's better off. We are waiting on the potential sale of some artifacts. Once complete, we can return to the mountain. I would advise you to carry blunt weapons alongside your other arms. They have proven more effective on some of the residents we've encountered."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by drpete »

Several hours after he was expected back, Randolpho returns. It seems that he was questioned at length about the group's adventures, and he was telling his friend and former mentor about the group's adventures.

His mentor wants nothing to do with the scarab, partially because, it seems, he knows that the appearance of the thing has stirred up some "bad people" who recognized its mark on Solaine. Randolpho didn't get a clear picture of who these people were, but he did hear his mentor use the name of their leader... Orcus.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by sulldawga »

Zorroroaster wrote:"I would advise you to carry blunt weapons alongside your other arms. They have proven more effective on some of the residents we've encountered."
Zim smiles back at the man. I'm a cleric. Blunt weapons are what I do.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr looks at Solaine, concern on his face.

"What do you want to do? Look into this now or go back down the hole? I'm inclined to head to Dwimmermount. Let these followers of Orcus try and follow us down there. We'll see how brave they really are."
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#127 Post by kalstone »

Solaine purses her lips as she thinks. "It's not my style to run from a fight, but I agree that Dwimmermount is our top priority. I have oaths to two gods I have to keep now."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr chuckles ruefully.

"Yeah, good luck with that. Ok, let's make a move. If anyone has anything they need to pick up here before we head out, do it today. We'll leave at sunrise."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by sulldawga »

Zim says Will we be gone long? Should I bring food? And what's the weather like out there? Do I need a cloak or something?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Dress warmly, yes. The approach to the entrance is a long, winding stair and it's exposure all but guarantees hypothermia for the unprepared. I would take a few emergency rations along, too. We do have a base camp set up, but it would be easy to get cornered inside. Some food in your pack would be a good idea."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Stirling »

Quinn Coburgexplorer

Quinn finished his ale and leans across the table offering an introduction to the party.

"Quinn is my name, the last of five siblings. I've just finished my militia draft in Gloris. Spent the last few months traversing the Winterburg range, playing scout to some arcane archeologists. We dug up a few fossilised bones and sadly laid down fresh ones from comrades lost. Hawked my share of the trove here in Adamis doing a bit of R&R with other troopers. I wouldn't mind doing some further under mountain exploration if you'll have me along. Not sure what I can add to your knowledge but I speak a little Bestial if you contact 'wildlings' and I know. how to navigate. My belly is full but my purse will get hungry soon. "

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by drpete »

You all know that the trip from here to Muntburg will take about 2 days at normal speed on the road. The area is well patrolled up to Muntburg.

I sense that you want to head over there. Let me know if there's anything else you want to do in Adamas before we go (get winter gear, or whatever). You probably don't need it yet, but you probably will in a month or so, though it'd not so hard to come get some in Adamas.

A note on PCs: there are a number of people sort of around but sort of not active in the game. My gut says I'd like to have us in the dungeon, barring major developments, near the end of the week, or maybe monday. Characters who do not appear active IC before that time are NOT coming on the next delve, though they can come on the next one. Active players need to post regularly, at least several times per week. I'm not interested in playing your characters for you.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by sulldawga »

Zim buys a week's worth of iron rations, some leather boots, and a cheap woolen cloak (3 gp, 6 sp).

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#134 Post by barkman »

"Well, I don't think that went as well as i first envisioned, unfortunately. MU mentor wasn't interested in the, uh,err, Solaine's broach,, and had some pretty nasty things to say about it, that i'd like to share in private. He roughed me up and went over interrogating me about what all we had done. I found it very gard to resist, but didn't really share anything that wouldn't be common knowledge after a quick delve. I do think we need to clear town quickly, maybe pick up a few things before we leave, like crossbows.... or something to stay warm over the winter, if we go up the mountain"

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#135 Post by Lamech »

"I think I might be most useful if I sit the next foray out and rebuild my walking tin can. You guys think you'll be okay? I don't want to delay you, and with luck I'll be ready with a new bot for the foray after."

Steel would like to take the chance to get some craftsmans tools, so he can be productive when not tinkering or adventuring.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by drpete »

Their numbers bulked up, the group organizes themselves to head back to Muntburg. The next morning, at the Crack of dawn, the group gets underway.

Fortunately, the sun is out, and the cool fall weather makes the extended walk very comfortable. You pass farmers working in the fields, and stands of trees turning various shades of red and yellow.

After two days of walking, you reach the gates of Muntburg, which are much as you left them. It doesn't take long to locate Climent, having a drink at the bar. The mousy mage greets the newcomers, and fills you in on the latest news.

It seems that there's another adventuring party that's been making a name for themselves, called "The Delvers". Climent tells you he had a drink with their party's mage, who told him about running into a big group of scurrying little kobolds who attacked them *with fire*. Climent isn't sure where the Delvers are at at the moment. They might be up on the mountain right now.

We can keep the question of who came with a little fluid for a little longer, but Steel and Galen were the lantern holders, and we've (maybe) lost them, so think about how you'll want to handle light.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Stirling »

Quinn Coburg

"This group of ' delvers'. Would they have climbed the same long staircase and entered the Dwimmermount through the same statue hallway as the party did previously? Apart from the secret dwarven doors, do you know if other ways in? Maybe they chased off your ape man friend?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by drpete »

Climent doesn't know, but he assumes that they are going through the main entrance. He can confirm that Nilus, the giant ape man, is still up there, and he is happy to get his pig tribute, but Climent doesn't know how the Delvers get past him, or if they do.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by sulldawga »

Zim says The answers are above us. Let's proceed and see what we see.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#140 Post by kalstone »

"Sounds good," says Solaine. "When we get in, watch out for the jewelry."

She picks up one of the masks from the stash near camp. "I think it's time to give one of these things a try."

She turns to Em and Audi. "Saddle up, girls. Time to kick some ass."

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”