Chapter 8 - Orc Recon

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 8 - Orc Recon

#561 Post by AleBelly »

Hellebore used her SWA spell that morning to tell Rrkox where to find them after delivering the message. Maybe Tempus can talk to the raven instead?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#562 Post by Marullus »

Wow, this has REALLY been a long day.... :)

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#563 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus, if asked, will relay the elder druidess' message, and try and charm the birds non magically with a bit of rations to boot, by casting his speak with animals spell.
Greys Campaign.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#564 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore asks, very politely.
:D

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#565 Post by AleBelly »

That should work. Someone will need to use a light source for those wimpy humans to see - will also allow the raven to see you...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#566 Post by Zhym »

Angus shoots the tree another dirty look, disappointed that he won't get to find out if his arboreal intimidation worked.

"Gotta get me a lantern when we reach town," he mumbles. "I could light a candle, for what little good that's worth against this damned darkness."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#567 Post by tkrexx »

I still got a torch left, Hyde grins at the prospect of something warm, And a candle, but it's real small.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#568 Post by Nuke66 »

Galan decides to speak. "Since we's decided to press on forward, I will volunteer to lead so's we don't get to far in trouble. I can kinda see just hope I don't mistake."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#569 Post by AleBelly »

Tempus enters a state of concentration, staring at Rrkox while he chants in a language only he and Hellebore can understand. He caws back and forth with the raven, and relays that it is tired but willing to scout. It requests a light source to track the party by, and Hyde lights a torch. The party is on their way, anxious to escape the cold and darkness. One suspects the tree is relieved to escape the blade of the belligerent Angus.

But the sky is cloudy, and no moon is visible. Consequently, Galan and Hellebore fall off course several times as they scout ahead, grateful for the guidance of the raven, who apparently has spotted the well-lit Sambord fort. As they travel, Hyde’s torch runs out and Hellebore is forced to dig into her stash. Things are getting desperate, for the party is down to its penultimate torch when finally they arrive at the clearing. Many pyres are spaced at intervals a couple hundred feet apart. And although they cannot see the walls of the fort, fixed points of light about a hundred yards in the distance betray its presence.

Hyde, please deduct your last torch and Hellebore please deduct two.

The raven, exhausted from flying back and forth, perches on Hellebore’s shoulder.

After an initial discussion with anxious guards, the party is ushered into the compound, though like their last visit they are confined to a large holding area. “Sarge,” who some of the party may remember from last time, welcomes them. ”Welcome back! We are glad to see you! Things have become more difficult since your last visit. I hope you have good news for us. Unfortunately, Jobin is occupied until morning. You look weary. I will save my questions for you until tomorrow morning, when Jobin will visit. Please rest here.” He gives the party an apologetic look. ”I’m afraid we can offer you nothing to eat. Our stores are nearly bare, and we have nothing to spare. A great embarrassment to us, I’m afraid.”

Feel free to perform any actions. Let me know if you will be setting up sleep shifts or all just sleeping. The Sambords have prepared a nice fire for you…

Date: 18 Hewing, Year 42
Time: 21:33
Conditions: 32F, mostly cloudy, south breeze at 6 mph, 6 inches of snow on the ground
Known Spells in Effect:
Light bearers: Inside well-lit fort
Intended Direction of Travel: ~165 degree bearing, 1.2 mph, 11.0 miles traveled today
Injury Status: Hyde lightly wounded

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#570 Post by Zhym »

Angus lays out his bedroll near the fire and settles in, trusting that someone will wake him if the party decides to set watch shifts. Not many minutes pass before is he snoring loudly.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#571 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion offers, as she warms by the fire,

I am not hurt nor in need of praying time as some of y'all. I will gladly take whatever watch you need me to whether it now or the middle shift.

She will then watch or sleep (but hopefully not both at same time) as prescribed.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#572 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus will approach the fire with fluffy, and as the massive shaggy hound curls up the blonde dreadlocked Druid gathers his green robes around him and snuggles up to his furry friend and drifts off to a much needed sleep.
Greys Campaign.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#573 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore is visibly relieved as her little group finds the fort with her last, guttering torch. With the flapping of giant eagle wings, the snarls of a possessive wolf near the guards, and the raucous cawing of an overtired raven, she gets everyone in and settled in the "guest room" with the others ensuring that their gear and bags from the mounts come as well before they are stabled.

She listens with pity to Sarge's words. "I look forward to Jobin's coming. Remind him, I wish to see the progress with the ghost-children of the Orcs." She pauses. "Have you planted your winter wheat? I would see your fields to aid you, as well."

After this exchange, she sees Hyde's discomfort as he readies for sleep, having missed his prior injuries. With a comforting touch and whispered words, she soothes him before he sleeps.
CLW [1d8] = 3

She is contemplative, poking through the bags and coins from the town for several minutes, not speaking to the others. When she finishes, she curls up in her fur cloak, a little she-wolf dissappearing beneath it's folds and slumbering next to Qatkir.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#574 Post by Zorroroaster »

Once shown inside, Arnulf flops down onto his bedroll and curls his arms around his spellbook. He whispers softly, though to whom is anyone's guess.

"Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow..."

He is soon asleep, though he tosses and turns fitfully.

Arnulf will take a watch if we are setting one up.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#575 Post by enn.in.me »

After removing her armor, Yenny sets herself down to pray, and any watching can see her eyes flick to Arnulf from time to time. After a bit, she begins a new chant and slowly seems to fall into a trance and eventually to sleep.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#576 Post by tkrexx »

Ahhh, it's WARM in here! Hyde grins hideously and stomps toward the fire, hands out. He seems to have forgotten how tired he is, especially after the healing gift from Hellebore. He stands by the fire a while, until some of his tribe have slumbered off. Finally he sheds his poncho and coat, sits next to Yenny and begins fumbling with the straps on his armor.

EDIT: LAST torch removed!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#577 Post by AleBelly »

Next chapter here:

viewtopic.php?f=176&t=5532

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”