Part 8: Once more unto the Barrowmaze

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Part 8: Once more unto the Barrowmaze

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

The morning passes quietly and soon you once again come upon the field of barrows that surround the Barrowmaze. Looking out at the mounds of earth you spy a small group of humanoids (5) wandering about the nearest barrow. They do not seem to notice your presence.

Map of progress to date provided for easy reference.
Attachments
Barrowmaze Map.png
Barrowmaze Map.png (93.66 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Part 8: Once more unto the Barrowmaze

#2 Post by Zhym »

"Hey!" whispers Milo, "I think they may be trying to steal our stuff we haven't actually taken possession of yet!"

Does "humanoid" mean goblin/orc/kobold/etc., or just "something vaguely human shaped that we can't tell any more about?"

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ybn1197 »

Zhym wrote:Does "humanoid" mean goblin/orc/kobold/etc., or just "something vaguely human shaped that we can't tell any more about?"
Vaguely human shaped and size but you can not tell anything more due to distance and shadows from the mound.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

About how far away are they?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ybn1197 »

About 100 feet

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Let's announce ourselves from a distance and be prepared for attack. Then we take them down with missile fire from a distance. If they get close, they meet me. They do not wish to make my acquaintance." He smiles broadly.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

"Go ahead," says Milo. He crouches near the ground—well, nearer than he already is—and nocks an arrow into his bow.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by kalstone »

"This should go well," Simoni says. "Most people are nice enough if you give them a chance." He looks down at his sling. "I hope I remember how to use this thing."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Stirling »

Grigg

"I don't think announcing our expedition is a wise thing. Maybe gives them time to fortify a defense or signal to others. If this is not the Barrow we want, why not sneak around unnoticed. Unless you prefer to wait a moment and have someone sneak up for a closer view."

Grigg will mark this Barrow on a map for future reference.

100ft is not that far to see. Can Grigg discern if this group is just a bunch of scavenging undead or a group acting in a co-ordinated way such as being guards, digging an entrance, talking together. Any weapons and equipment visible?

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#10 Post by RiotInferno »

Pyrrhic takes cover behind whatever he can, readying his bow. At the first sign of trouble, he will let an arrow fly and switch to spear.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ybn1197 »

From they way they are walking and moving about, it appears that they are undead mindlessly moving about. They wear scraps of clothing and armor though they carry no weapons.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zorroroaster »

Bronn unslings his massive sword and plants it in the dirt before him for quick retrieval. He nocks an arrow and holds it loosely ready.

"Anyone else want to parlay? 'Cuz I don't speak 'Unnnnghh.'"
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Stirling »

Grigg

"yeah, I want to parley. Pentagrams and death cults. If there is any truth in them and unseen powers are raising bodies from the dead, maybe their spirits will talk. I don't talk 'undead'...but he can."Grigg points to Simoni."why don't we capture one, take it back to town, St Yggs' or inside a Barrow. If you pray Bro Simoni, maybe Ygg will grant you a séance with one of these creatures."

Grigg grins and laughs, "now you know why I suggested some cuffs from the traders."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by kalstone »

Simoni ponders. "They do seem like they could be dealing with some grief issues. I would be more than happy to help ease them through their transition from life to death to partways back to life. They make take some convincing though. Maybe if I talk really loudly and wave my arms around."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

Milo looks at Simoni, Grigg, and Bronn as if they'd each sprouted petunias from the tops of their heads. "So...you're not planning on killing them, then?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Stirling »

Grigg

Grigg waits for the decision from Pyrrhic to either keep the group moving or fight these undead. At a nod to stay, Grigg will drop his packs and draw his longsword.

"Okay Simoni, you stand here and attract those guys over this way."Grigg taps little Milo on the shoulder, "Maybe we both can creep over to hide in some tuft and surprise them from behind?

Grigg will crouch low and move off to one flank.

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#17 Post by RiotInferno »

Pyrrhic looks at his companions and makes a quick assessment of the situation, letting his militia training kick-in.

"Okay, Let's fight. Ambush tactics if possible. Every fight is a chance for one of us to die, and that is not to be taken lightly. Lets do our best to capture one, but if that isn't possible, I'd rather have living friends than a captured zombie."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Stirling »

Grigg

Okay, Grigg, waving at Milo to do likewise, will sneak away to the side, about halfway between where the party are now and the shuffling group are. Downwind of them too. He wants to get a view were he can be hidden but also overlook where they are coming from. Also to identify the type of creature, shuffling slow zombies, gray skinned ghouls, skeletons?

If Simoni does attract their attention, Grigg will let the group pass then try to surprise attack the one in the rear.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by SocraticLawyer »

With a silent nod to Claude, Peaches readies her sling, aiming for one of the undead closest to the group. When the time is right, she'll let it fly.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Zhym »

Milo tries to disappear in the brush, trees, or whatever other natural cover is available, then moves to a position where he might get a shot at the creatures from behind (if possible) or the side (if not) without also shooting at the other party members. When everyone is ready and the monsters' backs are turned, he fires. If any start towards him, he tries to fade into the scrub.

Short bow (THAC0 19): [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19, [1d6] = 2
Roll does not include any bonuses for attacking from behind or to the side, nor does it include 2x damage from backstab if that can be done using missile weapons.

Return to “Valnwall: The Barrowmaze (LL)”