Action Thread 11

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Action Thread 11

#101 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard chuckles a little to himself about the idea of dwarves tasting good. Then he snaps out of it, realizing that that's a very disgusting observation. ;)

He stays on the lower level for the time, making sure the ground floor stays secure and nobody (or nothing) else attempts to ambush the party.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#102 Post by Alethan »

*sigh* Can we just NPC one of the fighters to... oh, never mind...

Till sheathes his sword and pulls out his dagger. He clamps it between his teeth and begins climbing up one of the wrapped packages. When he gets high enough that he can reach it, he uses the dagger to cut the main webs/threads holding the body. He will jump clear of the body when it drops.

He will do this for all of the humanoid corpses he can reach using this method. If he can't get them all (i.e. the dwarf), then he'll have to wait on that one.

In the mean time, he'll cut the other bodies free from the web and thoroughly search them for anything of value, checking for worn jewelry (as in, worn on the body, not worn down), anything in pockets or bags or satchels. He'll examine clothing and any armour evident to see if it appears to be of good enough quality to warrant further examination.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#103 Post by Alethan »

As Till hops up onto the first spider victim, he turns to Yosef, retrieves his knife from his mouth, and says, "Looks like the tall people are going to hang out below, Yosef. No worries, though; we can handle this. To the looters go the spoils!" He winks and puts the knife back in his mouth, shimmies up the carcass, then uses the knife to cut it down. He leaps clear of the body before it lands.

He repeats the process with the second body and, standing on one of the larger bodies for a little more height, is able to make it onto the dwarf, as well.

After all three bodies are cut down, he removes the wrappings with his knife and starts going over them carefully.

Body #1 appears to have been a human magic user, by the looks of him (hooded robe, sissy shoes, that sort of thing). Till roots through his pack and comes up with 31 GP, various sundries that might be spell components, and a finely crafted bone scroll case, with with a scene of a whaling ship harpooning a whale scrimshawed along one side. Till pockets the 31 GP and pushes the backpack of components and the scroll case over to Yosef so that he might examine them further. "This lot is definitely for you, Yosef." Till moves on to the second one...

Body #2 also appears to have been a human and is wearing chain armour. Attached to a worn wide leather belt is a boiled leather scroll case with typical generic tooling going down it. He unhooks the scroll case from the belt and passes it over to Yosef, as well. Then he works at removing the chain armour from the body. "If it isn't magical, then at least one of our hirelings can wear some better armour." He stops while undoing a strap and looks at Yosef. "Just don't tell them we pulled it off of a body, ok?"

Finally, Till goes over the dwarf. His first examination reveals... nothing. But dwarves are a crafty lot. Till examines the body again, this time focusing on places that might be used to conceal valuables. True to the dwarf's nature, Till finds a finely crafted dagger inside the left boot. He pulls it free and exclaims, "Ahhh... aren't you a beaut? And you fit my left hand rather nicely!" Then he turns to Yosef and says, "Let's take the armour and dagger back to camp. In the morning, we can check to see if any of this lot is special, along with that ring you have..."

And... that's just what he does.

Till descends the stairs, tells the rest of what he and Yosef found, and asks, "Do we want to examine that northern building again? Or call it a day and head back to camp? I'm pretty well beat, myself, and wouldn't say no to a few hours of spider-free rest."

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#104 Post by migellito »

"I think going back to camp.. well.. Is there a reason we couldn't just stay here in the tower? Bring the things from camp here and put them in the bottom floor here?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#105 Post by Alethan »

Till shrugs.

"Sounds as good an idea as anything. Certainly more secure!"

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#106 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:a finely crafted bone scroll case, with with a scene of a whaling ship harpooning a whale scrimshawed along one side.
Bruard looks at the bone scroll case and says 'yar, that's good scrimshaw'. He continues Yes, let's return to camp or bring the camp to us... either one, I could use a rest and maybe we could examine our loot.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Argennian »

Yosef assists Till with the gathering of items from the corpses in the webbing. He follows his halfling companion back down to where the others are standing watch.

Although the elf tries to remain vigilant and business-like, he cannot help but expose his ever-growing curiosity and excitement at the items they acquired. He stifles his grin and looks to the others.

"Aye, we've bitten off a big chunk of this place already, as dear old Dravic would say. I would like to examine these new items further and also need to replentish my spells."

migellito wrote:"I think going back to camp.. well.. Is there a reason we couldn't just stay here in the tower? Bring the things from camp here and put them in the bottom floor here?"
Yosef nods his head in the affirmative. "I think this a good idea, Jeloon. The top of the tower would make the best lookout of the compound. Perhaps we should check the floor here for any trap doors or secret passages? I would not want anything... popping in to surprise us!"

Yosef will search the floor and lower areas of the walls of the tower for any potential secret or concealed doors or hidey holes.

OOC: Ron, would we be able to fit the DAMs and our entire party within the tower?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote: ...

Yosef will search the floor and lower areas of the walls of the tower for any potential secret or concealed doors or hidey holes.

OOC: Ron, would we be able to fit the DAMs and our entire party within the tower?
Your search reveals naught but an old watch tower that is 20' in diameter. The ground level goes up 20', to a pretty sturdy second level which has another 10' up before the wooden roof. It's tall but a bit narrow.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#109 Post by Alethan »

"If we clear the corpses (two dead spiders, the two humans, the dwarf, several animals) out to one of the side sheds, we'd have plenty of room upstairs and down for everyone - maybe even the DAMs." Till starts thinking ahead... "This might even be a good place to fall back to, should we have the need, now that we've cleared most of it (still need to make sure that northern area is totally cleared/examined). If only we could somehow secure the doors to the tower... Yosef, do you have any kind of a wizard door locking spell we could use?"

OOC: Which makes me wonder... why didn't the magic user we found on the second floor have some sort of a traveling spell book in his pack? Not a very good wizard, was he? Well, I guess not, seeing as how he was dead...

Anyway, I think the general consensus is to do this:
Go get the hirelings from the temporary camp.
Clear the tower of corpses and spider webs (we only have one laborer hireling, so I imagine some of us will chip in with that part).
(As an aside, Till will also cut the animal corpses free from their webs, just to see what they were... and if there was anything to note about them.)
Set up camp inside the tower for the evening. I think we'd be fine with keeping the DAMs tied up outside during the day and bringing them in just for safety when sleeping, then moving them back out in the morning. Don't want the place to stink up too much, right?
What kind of visibility do we have from the top of the tower? If we do two-man shifts at night again, we can have one person in the tower and one person outside the door on the ground level.

Once we're settled into the new camp...
Till will make a small pile of equipment for Bruard or Yosef to examine with a Detect Magic spell. This will include the chain mail armour, the ring, and the dagger. Is there anything else that should be checked?

If nobody wants to make any particular claim on the dagger, I have an idea for using it with Till that might just make him even more uber... will discuss in the strategy thread.

Then he will go about making a thorough examination of the upstairs of the tower, looking for any loose stones or hide-y-holes or secret compartments.

I can't say what anyone else wants to do. Please append as necessary!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#110 Post by ToniXX »

Sounds like a good plan to me, Alethan. I agree that bringing the camp here is a good idea, as well as using this tower as our new fall-back base.

Bruard will cast 'Detect Magic' on the parcel of newly found items.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by rredmond »

Day 15 – 2:00p

We can fast forward the gathering of the troops if you like, just let me know.

Till finds nothing out of the ordinary about the animals. But finds a beautiful 360 degree view at the top of this tower. You can pretty much see anything that's coming.

Bruard casts Detect Magic and finds that the Chain Mail is not magical, the dagger is magical, and the ring is of a magic even more powerful than that.

HPs: Jeloon - 22/29; Till - 33/36; Yosef - 9/10; Bruard - 15/19; Derek - 32/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-0/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-3/5, 2-4/4
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#112 Post by Alethan »

Yeah, that's fine.

As they settle in for the evening to discuss plans for the following day, Till brings up the finds from the day.

"Jeloon, I think Van should get the chain armour we... er, found upstairs, as long as it fits him. If not, then Eyman can give it a try..."

He holds up the ring.

"It's obviously magical... might just be that it isn't working for me. I agree with Jeloon that it has sommit to do with fire protection. Anyone care to try it on and stick their hand in the fire tonight? I think Derek is due something at this point, if he's interested..." He holds the ring out to see if Derek will take it. If he's not interested, Till then moves his hand towards Jeloon.

"Looks like we have a few more scrolls to read through, as well... what do we have Yosef and Bruard?"

"And then there's this dagger here..."He squints. "Would anyone be opposed to my taking it? I have a mind to see if I can use it in my left hand while wielding my shiny sword in the right..."
"So what's the plan for the morning?"

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#113 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard examines one of the scrolls. If it is not clerical in nature, he will hand it to Yesef.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:
... Till finds nothing out of the ordinary about the animals. But finds a beautiful 360 degree view at the top of this tower. You can pretty much see anything that's coming.

Bruard casts Detect Magic and finds that the Chain Mail is not magical, the dagger is magical, and the ring is of a magic even more powerful than that.

OOC: Yosef would have insisted that the scroll cases they found be included with the items being checked by Bruard's Detect Magic spell!

Is the ring being checked the one that Till gave to Yosef for safe keeping, that was found in the commander's quarters previous?

Alethan (from Action Thread 10, pg4) wrote:When Yosef makes it back to the group, Till explains what they've found. He also confesses that he's tried the ring on and nothing appeared to happen.

(Of course... this could have been because of the % chance that a halfling can try on a magical ring and it won't work; same for elves and dwarves; so maybe one of the humans should try it on? But... let's start with this, first...)

"So I don't know if it just didn't work for me or if it simply isn't even magical..."
He passes the ring over to Yosef.
[quote="Argennian" (from Action Thread 10, pg4)"]Yosef takes the ring and, without further inspection, places it in his small belt pouch.[/quote]

Guess Till crushed his pick pockets roll, eh? 8-)
Last edited by Argennian on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:"If we clear the corpses (two dead spiders, the two humans, the dwarf, several animals) out to one of the side sheds, we'd have plenty of room upstairs and down for everyone - maybe even the DAMs." Till starts thinking ahead... "This might even be a good place to fall back to, should we have the need, now that we've cleared most of it (still need to make sure that northern area is totally cleared/examined). If only we could somehow secure the doors to the tower... Yosef, do you have any kind of a wizard door locking spell we could use?"
Yosef shakes his head in the negative. "Sadly, I have not such a spell, Till. But surely we could gather enough wood and old furniture to make an improvised barrier of sorts."

OOC: Which makes me wonder... why didn't the magic user we found on the second floor have some sort of a traveling spell book in his pack? Not a very good wizard, was he? Well, I guess not, seeing as how he was dead...
OOC: Heh, I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe he was more of a cleric than a wizard?

Anyway, I think the general consensus is to do this:
Go get the hirelings from the temporary camp.
Clear the tower of corpses and spider webs (we only have one laborer hireling, so I imagine some of us will chip in with that part).
(As an aside, Till will also cut the animal corpses free from their webs, just to see what they were... and if there was anything to note about them.)
Set up camp inside the tower for the evening. I think we'd be fine with keeping the DAMs tied up outside during the day and bringing them in just for safety when sleeping, then moving them back out in the morning. Don't want the place to stink up too much, right?
What kind of visibility do we have from the top of the tower? If we do two-man shifts at night again, we can have one person in the tower and one person outside the door on the ground level.
Yosef agrees with Till's plans. It's the most defensible structure and really like having that view up top.

Once we're settled into the new camp...
Till will make a small pile of equipment for Bruard or Yosef to examine with a Detect Magic spell. This will include the chain mail armour, the ring, and the dagger. Is there anything else that should be checked?
Yosef will produce the scroll cases to be included as well.

Alethan wrote:If nobody wants to make any particular claim on the dagger, I have an idea for using it with Till that might just make him even more uber... will discuss in the strategy thread.
Yosef has no issue with this.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:As they settle in for the evening to discuss plans for the following day, Till brings up the finds from the day.

"Jeloon, I think Van should get the chain armour we... er, found upstairs, as long as it fits him. If not, then Eyman can give it a try..."
Yosef nods his agreement. "Makes sense to me. Looks like it needs a good oiling..."

Alethan wrote:He holds up the ring.
Yosef cannot hide his immediate look of concern...
Alethan wrote:"It's obviously magical... might just be that it isn't working for me. I agree with Jeloon that it has sommit to do with fire protection. Anyone care to try it on and stick their hand in the fire tonight? I think Derek is due something at this point, if he's interested..." He holds the ring out to see if Derek will take it. If he's not interested, Till then moves his hand towards Jeloon.
Yosef holds up his hands pleadingly and offers a few words. "We know that it is a very powerful magic that enchants it, Till. When you tried it on, I was relieved that you weren't negatively or malevolently affected. That does not mean that we can be certain what the magic is and how it is activated. I wish we had the use of an identify spell here but prehaps one of Bruard's augury spells would suffice? Shinare's wisdom in the matter would surely alleviate my worries in this."

"Looks like we have a few more scrolls to read through, as well... what do we have Yosef and Bruard?"
"Indeed!" Yosef eagerly, but carefully, assists Bruard in a thorough inspection of the scroll cases and whatever their contents may be!

"And then there's this dagger here..."He squints. "Would anyone be opposed to my taking it? I have a mind to see if I can use it in my left hand while wielding my shiny sword in the right..."
Yosef smiles at his halfling companion and sneaks a wink towards the others. "No opposition here, my young friend!"

Alethan wrote:"So what's the plan for the morning?"
Yosef looks over matter of factly. "Why we take apart this place apart piece by piece until we find something, of course."

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by rredmond »

Scrolls are easily added in to the detect magic pile. The ring I thought Till had. So DM error, nothing nefarious ;) The scrolls detect as magic, but IMC plain old scrolls with spells written on them detect as magical. This way it's hard to discern them from scrolls that are magically trapped/cursed etc. :twisted:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#118 Post by Alethan »

Ooc: wasn't stealing the ring back; just trying to consolidate group actions (creating a pile of things to detect magic on) in an attempt to save time.

Bruard (still) doesn't have the proper components for an Augury spell. Think it's going to come down to trial and error.

I've never known of anything that tells you about the contents of a scroll aside from reading it...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:Scrolls are easily added in to the detect magic pile. The ring I thought Till had. So DM error, nothing nefarious ;) The scrolls detect as magic, but IMC plain old scrolls with spells written on them detect as magical. This way it's hard to discern them from scrolls that are magically trapped/cursed etc. :twisted:
Alethan wrote:Ooc: wasn't stealing the ring back; just trying to consolidate group actions (creating a pile of things to detect magic on) in an attempt to save time.

Bruard (still) doesn't have the proper components for an Augury spell. Think it's going to come down to trial and error...
No worries, fellas, it's all good! 8-)

I figured that was the case & was just attempting to poke fun light-heartedly is all. :D

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#120 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:
rredmond wrote:Scrolls are easily added in to the detect magic pile. The ring I thought Till had. So DM error, nothing nefarious ;) The scrolls detect as magic, but IMC plain old scrolls with spells written on them detect as magical. This way it's hard to discern them from scrolls that are magically trapped/cursed etc. :twisted:
Alethan wrote:Ooc: wasn't stealing the ring back; just trying to consolidate group actions (creating a pile of things to detect magic on) in an attempt to save time.

Bruard (still) doesn't have the proper components for an Augury spell. Think it's going to come down to trial and error...
No worries, fellas, it's all good! 8-)

I figured that was the case & was just attempting to poke fun light-heartedly is all. :D

Me thinks you need to embrace your Chaotic Good alignment, Argennian. ;) Come! Join the Chaotic Neutral thief and roll around on the ground in the plundered gold and put rings on your fingers and grab swords and daggers without a second thought!

Help me help you.

Help ME help YOU!

:twisted:

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”