Chapter 3 > Redbrand Hideout

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 3 > Redbrand Hideout

#301 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton takes a listen at the eastern secret door.

Perception Check [1d20+3] = 13+3 = 16

If he doesn't hear anything, or see something that looks off, he tries to open it ever so slightly.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by hedgeknight »

Aslaan opens the secret door to the west to reveal a set of stairs descending into darkness.
Kelton opens the secret door to the east to reveal a short hallway with two doors > one directly across from the secret door and another at the end of the hall.
Redbrand Hideout Secret Doors 2.jpg
Redbrand Hideout Secret Doors 2.jpg (415.03 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Winter is coming...

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by ybn1197 »

hedgeknight wrote:ybn1197 rarely checks in on the weekend, so I'm posting for him; his passive Perception score easily picks out the two secret doors. Map to follow in a bit.
Thanks HK. The wife and I were celebrating our anniversary this past weekend. Had I checked in, we would not have been celebrating. ;-)

Gerland looks between Kelton at the western door and Aslaan at the eastern door. "I suggest we secure whatever may remain here on this level before delving further down."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#304 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

I agree.

Aslaan sticks his head into the passage and takes a deep breath to see whether the air is musty or feels fresher than would be expected for underground. Then carefully closing the secret door and looking to see if it looks undisturbed from this side, he goes to take second place behind Kelton with arrow nocked.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#305 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton

I agree as well. No point getting in over our heads.

He has a listen at both of the new doors to see if he can hear anything beyond.

Perception Check [1d20+3] = 13+3 = 16

If he hears nothing from beyond, he carefully opens the door leading to the east a crack and peers in.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#306 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston readies himself to follow the others cautiously.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by hedgeknight »

Kelton hears nothing behind the eastern door, nor the southern door. When he tries the eastern door, he finds it is locked.
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#308 Post by wordoftheoracle »

While everyone seems paralyzed with inaction, Ioriston will read the Scroll of Spider Climb and add it to his spell book. He is also contemplating the likelihood that one of the potions is a healing potion...
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#309 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton checks the other door to see if it is locked as well.

If you think that potion will help, give it a taste and lets see what happens. He says to Loriston, only somewhat joking.

Hey Stitch! You want to try your skills out on these locked doors? Or, perhaps you have the master key in your pocket?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by hedgeknight »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Kelton checks the other door to see if it is locked as well.
If you think that potion will help, give it a taste and lets see what happens. He says to Loriston, only somewhat joking.
Hey Stitch! You want to try your skills out on these locked doors? Or, perhaps you have the master key in your pocket?
The southern door is not locked and swings open to reveal a dark room. Assuming someone has a torch (I need someone to speak up here), the flickering light reveals the following:

Three large stone sarcophagi stand within this dusty crypt, and propped up against each sarcophagus is a human skeleton clad in bits of rusty mail. False columns along the walls are carved in the image of spreading oak trees. The double doors in the southeast corner are sheathed in tarnished copper plate.

Stitches sniffs and says, "I have no master key in my pocket. I ran off when I was just a recruit, remember?"
Redbrand Hideout Crypt.jpg
Redbrand Hideout Crypt.jpg (482.76 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#311 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston responds to Kelton: In the pursuit of knowledge, risks must be taken.

Ioriston drinks one of the potions.

PC History:

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by ybn1197 »

Gerland enters the crypt slowly, pulling his holy symbol out and reciting prayers to himself. He will approach each crypt and say a prayer out loud.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#313 Post by wordoftheoracle »

hedgeknight wrote: The southern door is not locked and swings open to reveal a dark room. Assuming someone has a torch (I need someone to speak up here), the flickering light reveals the following:

Three large stone sarcophagi stand within this dusty crypt, and propped up against each sarcophagus is a human skeleton clad in bits of rusty mail. False columns along the walls are carved in the image of spreading oak trees. The double doors in the southeast corner are sheathed in tarnished copper plate.
I am an Elf. I can see more than just this I think.
PC History:

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#314 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan, uneasy seeing the skeletons, stays standing at the north door the group just came through. Flail is loosened for easy access if needed but then resumes stance with arrow nocked for now.

Whispering to the group, Try to leave me an open shot to both sets of doors, just in case.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#315 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sorry, no torch on my sheet. I hope someone else has one handy.

Kelton looks around the room for any signs of recent inhabitants. He tries to discern if anyone has been in here recently and if there are any tracks in the dust on the floor leading to a certain door.

Perception Check [1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18

Perhaps the redbrands and assstaff didn't even know about these rooms. I don't like the looks of those skeletons and I am most certainly not a grave robber but, we do need to check the whole place over I suppose.

He moves in and walks towards the first sarcophagus.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#316 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan sheepishly recalls that he DOES have torches. He lights one and passes it to Kelton, lights another and looks for a wall sconce to set it in. Looking to the others, Aslaan sees if anyone else indicates they need a torch.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by hedgeknight »

The Crypts

Gerland is the first in the room, pulling his holy symbol as he stands near the first sarcophagus and begins to recite a prayer.
Kelton follows and then Aslaan, who hands the noble warrior a torch, before going to look for a wall sconce. This takes him toward the single door to the east...and when he places the torch in the wall sconce, the skeletons stand up from where they are propped upon the sarcophagi...and move to attack!

Gerland and Kelton are standing at the northern most sarcophagus on the western wall, while Aslaan is about 10 feet from them at the northern wall. Ioriston, Kael, and Stitches are out in the hall.

Initiative and Actions!!

Stats:
Ioriston is down 8 hp
Kael is down 7 hp
Stitches is down a few hp
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#318 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Initiative [1d20-1] = 18-1 = 17

Kelton drops the torch and raises his ax. He chops at the creature in a downward motion for maximum bone chopping affect.

To Hit [1d20+3] = 12+3 = 15, Damage of Great Axe [1d12+3] = 3+3 = 6

Now I wish we would have avoided this room altogether. We have nothing to gain by fighting the undead!

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#319 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

My bad!

Aslaan sets down his bow and draws his flail to attack.

Initiative [1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5

To hit: [1d20+4] = 5+4 = 9, damage with flail [1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#320 Post by Computer +1 »

Kael (if he can see what is happening) spits when the skeletons start moving. F'ing hell! he blurts out before pushing past whoever is in the way to get in the fight.

Attack:
[1d20] = 19 +3 = 22
Damage:
[1d10+3] = 6+3 = 9

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”