Who Are You?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Who Are You?

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

So.........tell us a little bit about yourself. (this is optional of course)

I'll start.

My names Rob.......I'm in my mid 40's......and I'm a gameoholic. :roll:

I played in a D&D group way back in high school (mid 80's) but then stayed away from the gaming table for a long time. About 4 years ago I started attending some of the local gaming conventions around our area (east central Wisconsin) and fell head first right back into gaming, hard core.

I'm an old-schooler as far as RPG's go. I like anything D&D that was before 3rd edition. (I don't know anything about the editions past 2nd and have just started looking into 5E) I think AD&D will always be my favorite. I have tried several others at cons and with our FtF group, but I haven't found anything that I like better yet and maybe never will.

I'm married with no kids and luckily for me, my wife has recently taken a liking to gaming also, so we have been attending cons together for the last couple of years now It's been a blast so far and I feel blessed that the 2 of us have found something enjoyable that we can both do together.

I work at our city's Electric and Water Utility. I enjoy sports, riding my motorcycle, and reading. In my spare time.......I'm on here. :)

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Who Are You?

#2 Post by Mant72 »

My name is Mark. I'm in my early 40s, and I'm a lowly high school English teacher.

When I was about 9, I bought a set of minatures (they were lead back in the day...explains a lot). Well, I eventually met a kid in my neighborhood that saw them and asked me if I played D&D. I said, "What is that?" and well...it was over from that point. I played religiously in my teens, and then like most, stopped until recently.

I'm married with two young boys, and that's what really rekindled my interest in D&D. One day I was thinking, "Man, D&D was such a really cool game, and I can't wait to introduce my guys to it!" I then got to poking around the net, and I found this site.

I look forward to shaping imaginative stories with you all, and killing a few beasties in the process. :D

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by coil23 »

I'm Matthew,mid 40s as well. I got into RPGs in 6th grade (AD&D 1e) and played all 7 years of middle and high school, including some other systems like Star Frontiers, TMNT, Twilight:2000, Robotech. When I went away for my undergrad I stopped because I didn't have a group and pursued other things. Years later D&D 5e came and awakened the RPG passion all over again. These are the only two versions of D&D I have ever known- 1e and 5e. I sidled over from BoardGameGeek to also start spending time on RPGGeek and just recently found this site.

Fun Fact: growing up in small-town Indiana in the 80s, playing D&D, and being the DM meant I got to be singled out and repeatedly brought in and lectured by the school guidance counselor through all 3 years of middle school because he was afraid of what this game might lead to. I was seen as the ringleader so I guess it made sense to try and break me first.

Since my renewed interest I have been seeking out new systems (Shadow of the Demon Lord looks so promising, Call of Cthulhu, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Labyrinth Lord, Traveller, Trail of Cthulhu) and am still searching. Right now I am hungry to play and want to experience the player side of things. In the past I was almost always the DM and, while that was a blast, I want to see this side of things right now. Though in the back of my mind I am already wondering if I get my comfort level and courage up enough I may want to get back into the DM thing too at some point.

The other personal stuff? I currently do inpatient psychiatric nursing and hope to start a PhD program in nursing in the fall. Was in a 20 year relationship (I'm gay) but that ended a few years ago. Now it is me and the critters, hobbies include wood carving, gardening (focus on wildlife), cooking, building PnP games, etc. And I'm glad to be here.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Stirling »

Hello I'm really Stirling (!), and live near a small town mostly inhabited by the near-dead in the western isles of Scotland. Fiunary, could double for many a Cthullu setting, especially when the sea mist rolls in from the Mull of Kintyre. (Que to sentimental McCartney music). Certainly the old manse I live in looks sinister and spooky. There is a famous old oak tree in the garden from which the vicar used to climb and preach from to huddled masses at garden parties, though now from under it eaves I am inspired to write. Occasionally I script for a gaming group. My first foray with D&D was entering the world of Greyhawk and the Red Box set. That should give my approximate age...

I married with 7 kids, and have travelled extensively around Morocco and the Magreb, leading expeditions of students by Landrover across the Atlas mountains or Sahara desert.

My other passions are watching the best of British horse racing at Cheltenham, the odd bottle of finest malt and telling my kids fantastical stories of my epic and romantic adventures while gathered around a flaming campfire.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Mant72 »

Wow, Mathew. That's crazy that you were called into the counsellor's office so much over D&D. What a close-minded world we've come from and still live in to some extent. Welcome aboard!

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Stirling »

Yep people were afraid that if would lead wholesome young kids down the road to demon worship, occultic practice and psychological disorders. Some quoted a famous murder case as an example of extremes though this was categorically disproved..

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by coil23 »

Very disturbing back then (and I didn't even know anything better was out there at the time). Now I'm just incredulous. They were genuinely worried about satanism and our souls. If it weren't for Pizza King in Lebanon, Indiana (best pizza in the WORLD) then I would write off the state altogether. As it is I simply try to never go back. Thank you, Mark.

And I can picture the Scottish countryside in my mind. Sounds amazing.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stirling wrote:Hello I'm really Stirling (!), and live near a small town mostly inhabited by the near-dead in the western isles of Scotland. Fiunary, could double for many a Cthullu setting, especially when the sea mist rolls in from the Mull of Kintyre. (Que to sentimental McCartney music). Certainly the old manse I live in looks sinister and spooky. There is a famous old oak tree in the garden from which the vicar used to climb and preach from to huddled masses at garden parties, though now from under it eaves I am inspired to write. Occasionally I script for a gaming group. My first foray with D&D was entering the world of Greyhawk and the Red Box set. That should give my approximate age...

I married with 7 kids, and have travelled extensively around Morocco and the Magreb, leading expeditions of students by Landrover across the Atlas mountains or Sahara desert.

My other passions are watching the best of British horse racing at Cheltenham, the odd bottle of finest malt and telling my kids fantastical stories of my epic and romantic adventures while gathered around a flaming campfire.
Wait.....we have an actual adventurer in the group?

And he lives near Saltmarsh? :D

Really good stuff so far guys and it's cool to sorta meet you all.

I can tell already that I am in way over my head. I should warn you now that I am a total hack. :lol:

Ringleader eh? I will keep my eye on you mister! :)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by coil23 »

I am remarkably well-behaved. And I am digging' your avatar. That picture just demands obeisance.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Mant72 »

Yeah, I remember watching a made-for-TV movie,Mazes and Monsters, with Tom Hanks that reminds me of that kind of anti-D&D crap. It was a cool movie though. :D

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Mant72 »

I second the sentiments of our esteemed DM, glad to "meet" everyone, happy adventuring!

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#12 Post by Spectreman17 »

Hi all, I'm Jacob, 21, in southern CA.

i'm a full time student in my last semester at my local Community College and am sitting around waiting for my transfer applications to get back to me.

I also work full time at a feed store to pay the bills.

As far as everything else goes, I like Warhammer 40k, RPGs, Boardgames, and Reading. I only recently discovered RPG games,2 years ago when I found a group playing a pretty loose homebrew that I enjoyed for a bit, but the lack of structure killed it for me, so I bought 5e, joined a new group and it's grown into this, since work and school keep me away from IP games now.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, and I'll post the rest of my stuff soon.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

Who am I? I think I have it mostly figured out but it’s a continued work in progress…

My name’s Larry, mid-40’s from Pennsylvania and AD&D has been part of my life since middle school. Still remember the day when I got the PHB and some dice for the first time… still have the books (dice have long since been replaced). Played with a group from the neighborhood in those days but that died off in high school as we did our own things – have continued to read and re-read and re-re-read the modules, books, and articles from 1e to this day. It never gets old :)

Love the ability to play again using this medium (PbP) as it fits into no defined schedule, let’s you play a few different games at a time, and isn’t cancelled every week due to availability for a RL game. Remarried a few years ago and now have 4 teenagers (2 daughters of my own, 2 sons from her previous) and it’s never boring. Run and golf a lot between the family, work, and everything else.

Looking forward to yet another adventure….

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Nordbo »

Hi all!

My 1st attempt at A/D&D took place in 1979, trying to DM The Lichway using the blue Basic rulebook, for only one player. A thoroughly confusing but thrilling experience for both of us. We soon developed into a small gang of gamers that later went separate ways.... until I rediscovered gaming two years ago. That very same gang responded to my call for a Pool of the Standing Stones session - just like old times! Then, via Dragonsfoot I found this forum, where I now DM The Pits of Wob.

Where I live ? Where vikings came from...... :o

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by wolfpack »

Hi I am Todd, mid 40's grew up in Florida but lived in Ohio since 98.

I started playing Basic D&D back at about 8 years of age and graduated to AD&D in 7th grade and played through middle and high school and a few years beyond in live groups with friends. We also played Twilight 2000, Shadowrun, and MechWarrior.

I now work in IT as the time and attendence administrator. I am married with one daughter. Most of my time is spent with her as she is a travel softball player hoping to one day play in college, so she practices and plays all year round and starting in the spring through summer her team is traveling and playing in tournaments pretty much every weekend.

I have also written several modules that were published on Dragonsfoot (the HM modules The disappearance of Harold the Hedge Mage, Hunt for Istan, Pop goes the Meazel, Chaos Halls, Isensan's Secret .) I have never played any addition beyond 2nd.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by hedgeknight »

Hey fellers > guess I'm the old timer in the group seeing as how I'm in my early 50's. ;)
Discovered D&D, purple box in '82 while attending community college in rural Virginia. Our group began with the Basic module B4 - The Lost City, and quickly moved on to Expert adventures and then into AD&D.
After community college, I transferred to East Tennessee State University, and fell in with a large gaming group just by sheer luck. Played all through college and even through grad school, which was my early days of being a DM.

Attended the Atlanta Fantasy Fair (now called Dragon Con) in '84 (I think) and had the honor of meeting and sitting around the table with Gary Gygax. Attended Gen Con for the first time in 1990 and just met some great folks in Milwaukee and we are still good friends.
Moved to NC in 1998 where I work as a middle school counselor and started an email game with some of my old gaming buddies back home. Continued that until I discovered pbp gaming in 2005 and since then, I have DM'd and played in numerous games from 3.5 to Pathfinder, and now 5E. I currently run a 1E game on RPoL.net and a 5E game on U.S. I also play in three games, having recently dropped two others.

My wife and I have one son who is a freshman in high school and we love taking family trips, going to see live music (bought tix for AC/DC today!), enjoying the beach, and working puzzles. I still collect comic books and love working in the yard.

This is going to be a fun game!
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Urson »

I'll have to debate hedgeKnight for the title of Old Timer- I'm 55, and started playing AD&D in 1979. These days, I work in a factory making transmission parts and screw around online when I can.
FA FO

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by hedgeknight »

Urson wrote:I'll have to debate hedgeKnight for the title of Old Timer- I'm 55, and started playing AD&D in 1979. These days, I work in a factory making transmission parts and screw around online when I can.
No debate needed, Bob > both of us are old timers! :lol:
Winter is coming...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by ravenn4544 »

Old timers? Nahhhh... i consider 70's to be still young :)

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by Spectreman17 »

well, I think all y'all are old farts.

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”