Chapter 3: Third time's the charm

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 3: Third time's the charm

#261 Post by kalstone »

bobloblah wrote: Teeth? You know I rolled a 1 on the d6 for Mortal Wounds, right? Don't get me wrong, if you wanna roll, that's cool!
I certainly wouldn't complain. :D

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Zorroroaster »

Wait, it was in her belt pouch, started burrowing for her heart and after all was said and done, she lost 4 teeth? So did it just keep on going, or did she hit her face as she fell down? Brutal either way. Thanks for the nightmares. :(
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by drpete »

That is a nightmarish vision... actually I just got caught by the backwards formatting of the table. It's much worse than teeth, unfortunately, and seems much more appropriate. I'll fix it :(
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#264 Post by bobloblah »

That is really the most hilariously nasty thing I've seen in a D&D game in a long, looong time. I should be taking notes for my own game.

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#265 Post by barkman »

This has suddenly turned from a treasure mission to a recovery mission. If we need to get Solaine healed, should we send someone ahead to town to request a healer come out? How long will it take before you can do more for her Galen? Should we lock some of you in here, then the rest go out for help?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Zorroroaster »

If she is to have any chance at all, we've got to get her out of here asap and swiftly to whoever can help her. Every day we wait makes it worse.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#267 Post by Lamech »

Did anyone see where the beetle got too? Screw it. Lets get her out of here. Everyone grab a corner and let's move. Steel says moving over to Solaine to help lift her.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr is poised over the scarab with his hammer raised to strike. "I'm watching over it right now. Someone tell me why I shouldn't smash it? Galan, you're the expert here. Do we have a chance at saving her? What do we do?"

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#269 Post by bobloblah »

"Eh?" Brother Galen looks up from his charge, "She will live. But the scarab has done grave harm. It would take a miracle for her to recover fully. Fortunately, I know where we can get one, but it will require a trip to Adamas. Audi, Emm, Steel...gather her up on one of our blankets. Randolpho, Torgyr, Climent and myself can divide her gear..." Galen stands and gazes at the bloodied scarab, "As for that...thing...it may yet prove to be of some use.."

How big are the amphorae? I'd like to empty one and try to scrape the scarab into it using a weapon in order to carry the thing.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by drpete »

They're pretty big... it would totally fit, though it wouldn't be easy to carry... to get a sense of size, it's in the ballpark if the big bottle in this picture (though made of pottery, with handles)
wine-bottle-sizes-red-wine.jpg
wine-bottle-sizes-red-wine.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 924 times

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Will it fit in a tinderbox?"

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by drpete »

A tinderbox is a little metal box with flint, Steel and "tinder" in it... generally about the size of a deck of cards or so. If you emptied the tinder and stuff out if the box, you could fit the scarab in there, sure, though it would greatly reduce its effectiveness for starting fires...

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr dumps out Solaine's tinderbox. "We can always get her another. Besides, I'm also carrying one." Setting the open tinderbox down on its side near the inert scarab, he uses the head of his hammer to nudge it into the box. Once inside, he'll tip the box over, closing it.

He tears a couple of strips of cloth from his blanket and after easing them under the box, ties them tightly in a small package.

He looks up from his work. "Good enough? Let's get moving. We don't have any time to waste."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by drpete »

It can be slid into the tinderbox without incident.

It is entirely possible to have everyone grab a part of Solaine and share the burden. Generally, this is not how people would be carried over very long distances... it probably makes sense to have a stretcher of some kind. I'm not totally sure how to model this, but, how about....

Helping to carry the body means you can't hold anything else "useful" in your hands... torches or lanterns, polearms, etc. If you just carry her, each person takes an equal share of the weight, if they actually contribute. If you put her on a stretcher, you can distribute her weight as you like among the bearers.

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#275 Post by barkman »

We may not want to have everyone hauling on whatever method we use to get Solaine out, if only to prevent her from getting dropped if we end up having to fight anything on the way out. I don't think i'm strong enough to hold on to Solaine, but should have my sling out and ready.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#276 Post by kalstone »

drpete wrote:It is entirely possible to have everyone grab a part of Solaine
Everyone better just be damn careful about which part. I'm looking at you Ranulf!

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#277 Post by Dogma »

Ranulf is genuinely concerned for Solaine's well-being...but he likes the way you think :)

Emm and Audi have spears right? Can we improvise a stretcher with those and a blanket?

Also, Dr. Pete mentioned that Galen can use his comfrey now...has he done this?/ooc]

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#278 Post by bobloblah »

There's currently no need to do so. As long she receives healing within 24 hours, the result will be the same, regardless of how that's achieved.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by drpete »

bobloblah wrote:There's currently no need to do so. As long she receives healing within 24 hours, the result will be the same, regardless of how that's achieved.
That is true, though Comfrey can only help contribute to that now, not 23 hours from now.

And yes, you can create a stretcher out of a blanket and two spears. In producing a stretcher, you will quickly discover that rope would really help, too. The spears, of course, would deprive Emm and Audi of their use until you got back to civilization.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr has a rope they can use as well.

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”