Carthage 621

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Carthage 621

#21 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Axel perks up at the mention of a party. "Didn't know it was going to be that kind of meeting."

He then takes the glass and downs it cleanly. "A toast to the man with a chainsaw arm? Hell yes. If you all are a sample of what is out here, this is going to be fun."

"Yeah, I got a message from that Harry guy. Nothing better to do yet, and it did make me curious. While we wait, how about you all tell me more about this place."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Pulpatoon »

Tel looks around. "I've only just arrived, and can't say I know any more about it than you do. It's a dinner from mid-to-late 20th Century North America. The attached garage is equipped to handle models from considerably later along the time stream, however. So, perhaps this is a replica? Or a... uh, point of convergence between time streams? I don't know, transdimensional stuff is hardly my area of expertise. The food is period appropriate, and the gas prices out front are reasonable."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Stirling »

Ash perks up, still waving an empty glass in front of him. "So you miss..ter..Tel, you have an area of expertise? A major skill or knowledge that we lack perhaps? I myself could be considered an authority, more based on practical experience of course than literary theorem, professor doctor of 'occultic ritual' and nefarious diabolic necrotic exotica. You seem such a more practical wom-man in your dungarees. Could you share your expert craft, we are all Harry's eager students ready to learn." Ash gesticulates with his arm, inviting Tel to indeed tell.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Pulpatoon »

Tel: "Nothing so grandiose, I'm afraid. As I was just telling the... ah, Breeze, I'm a mechanic. I, um, could take a look at your arm, there... Ash, is it? You're leaking a bit of oil, and it looks like your fuel mix doesn't burn as cleanly as it might."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Stirling »

Ash will toss the screwdriver to Tel and lean forward with his left arm. "I put most of it together myself, not bad for a beginner, course an expert like you could ratchet up those revs just nicely. In case we need to 'cut through any arguments' . Careful of the rip cord, don't want to startle you folks"

Ash will look around at the assembled crew. "So maybe we are all pieces in Harrys' jigsaw. Where do you fit son? he says raising the glass go Bait.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#26 Post by Spectreman17 »

Bait, Desert Runner:

I jump at mention of my name, I was just getting ready to dash off to the bar for another pitcher. I figured if Ash was going to throw down that sweet glorified floor cleaner, I'd keep up the pace as well. I was about to go get a second pitcher. "Oh, uhh, well I can fix just about anything. whether it will come out as pretty as it started is up to interpretation, but repair is definitely within my realm of possibility. But they probably got me because my speed. I'm running about eighteen-hundred horse on twelve-hundred kilos in my skimmer out there. may not be the prettiest to you shiny city folk, but you'll never keep pace when I kick the nitro on."

"So we have an expert on dead things, a mechanic, myself, what abut the rest of you bunch?"

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by ylinett »

Spectreman17 wrote:Bait, Desert Runner:

I jump at mention of my name, I was just getting ready to dash off to the bar for another pitcher. I figured if Ash was going to throw down that sweet glorified floor cleaner, I'd keep up the pace as well. I was about to go get a second pitcher. "Oh, uhh, well I can fix just about anything. whether it will come out as pretty as it started is up to interpretation, but repair is definitely within my realm of possibility. But they probably got me because my speed. I'm running about eighteen-hundred horse on twelve-hundred kilos in my skimmer out there. may not be the prettiest to you shiny city folk, but you'll never keep pace when I kick the nitro on."

"So we have an expert on dead things, a mechanic, myself, what abut the rest of you bunch?"
It would seem that everyone is so talented, perhaps it was time to share.

First looking to Tel "I can show you how to do-si-do."

Then to Axel "I can show you how to scratch a record."

Then Bait "I can take apart the remote control, and I can almost put it back together."

Back to Tel "I can tie a knot in a cherry stem."

Then to Ash "I can tell you about Leif Ericson."

Axel again "I know all the words to 'De Colores'".

And again to Bait "And "I'm Proud To Be An American".

Surveying the looks on the other's faces having heard his various talents the man put down the bottle and focused on Ash "I'm an American bad ass. Watch me kick."

He did sound very intense and quite sincere; But then his face dropped and addressing the group he started again "I've got a few relatives giving the family drama. Always got their hands out when they see me and my mama. One could have been a doctor, the other a chef." He takes a moment to collect himself "...But when he got his own kitchen he was cooking something else. Now his life's in the drain, a trifling shame. He's all washed up, wife took everything. No car no more, no house. And everywhere he goes he stole so they throw him out."

Finishing he stands up and buttoning his jacket turns his back to the group. He takes a few paces and exhales hard. Running his hand through his hair he composes himself, turns and unbuttons his jacket as he sits back down. Reaching for the bottle he pours everyone who is willing to drink another round and addressing the group replies "I'm sorry for everything. Oh, everything I've done. Am I out of touch? Am I out of my place?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Axel stares at the Breeze for a second or too, then breaks out in a wide grin.

"See! This! Right here! This is why I left. Never could I even imagine such a thing possible back home. There you would have been detained and examined to see what makes you tick, but here? Here you are applauded."

Axel seems to stare off in the distance for a moment, then shakes it off.

"But no more of that now, now let us drink to the future and where it may take us if we but let it."

"Ah, the Breeze, what a life you must have led. So free, so lyrical."

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by ylinett »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Axel stares at the Breeze for a second or too, then breaks out in a wide grin.

"See! This! Right here! This is why I left. Never could I even imagine such a thing possible back home. There you would have been detained and examined to see what makes you tick, but here? Here you are applauded."

Axel seems to stare off in the distance for a moment, then shakes it off.

"But no more of that now, now let us drink to the future and where it may take us if we but let it."

"Ah, the Breeze, what a life you must have led. So free, so lyrical."

Grabbing the bottle and a glass in one hand he motions for Axel to step aside with a nod of his head towards the corner. Standing he uses his free hand to once again button his jacket and if/when accompanied to the corner says in a low almost conspiratorial whisper "You can call me Al." He proffers and hand to shake and then afterwards hands the now filled glass to Axel. Once Axel drinks (assuming he does) he leans in even closer and almost as if he is admitting something he is trying to hide he says in the faintest of whispers "If you want my future, forget my past." Proffering the bottle he will look to see see if Axel will allow him to refill the glass.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Stirling »

Ash still sitting while Tel administers to his chainsaw leakage, waves the empty glass around one final time."Well Mister Breeze, come sit down, you button your jacket up, you button your jacket down. Sign of nerves, fidgeting like that but hey, you've made friends with Mister Badger here. So lets' all be just cool. "He looks at the now empty bottle and pushes it away down the table."This Harry is no fool. He is a researcher, a man of knowledge, guile, a 'watcher of watchers' (Ash nods to Axel), a spy, dearly beloved we are gathered here today..."Ash pauses for a moment. "my guess is that Harry needs us to accomplish that which he can do but won't do himself. A degree of danger perhaps, certainly a man of wealth to pool all of our talents. Are we here to take something somewhere or to go fetch it back? Maybe both, maybe a little trade on the side.

Ash pauses for another moment. "maybe we should do our own research, why don't one of you handsome young fellas' turn on the charm and ask the head waitress over there what she knows about him."

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by ylinett »

Stirling wrote:Ash still sitting while Tel administers to his chainsaw leakage, waves the empty glass around one final time."Well Mister Breeze, come sit down, you button your jacket up, you button your jacket down. Sign of nerves, fidgeting like that but hey, you've made friends with Mister Badger here. So lets' all be just cool. "He looks at the now empty bottle and pushes it away down the table."This Harry is no fool. He is a researcher, a man of knowledge, guile, a 'watcher of watchers' (Ash nods to Axel), a spy, dearly beloved we are gathered here today..."Ash pauses for a moment. "my guess is that Harry needs us to accomplish that which he can do but won't do himself. A degree of danger perhaps, certainly a man of wealth to pool all of our talents. Are we here to take something somewhere or to go fetch it back? Maybe both, maybe a little trade on the side.

Ash pauses for another moment. "maybe we should do our own research, why don't one of you handsome young fellas' turn on the charm and ask the head waitress over there what she knows about him."
Looking over to Ash and appearing mildly perturbed replies "Well versed in etiquette." But at his suggestion he heads out of the room and find a server.

With a big smile on his face and a glint in his eyes he approached the one his gut leads him to. "Hello Darlin'. Nice to see you, it's been a long time. You're just as lovely as you used to be." Nobody likes to admit they don't remember an acquaintance. Pulling out the note he hands it to her and says "Has anyone here seen my old friend?" Regardless of her answer with a look of sincere thanks he nods his head and leans in and offers to compensate her for her help, but first to solicit the request. "So, tell me what you want. What you really, really want."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Urson »

The woman 'Breeze' approaches is a sweet-faced redhead with an impressive figure and no front teeth. "Who? Oh, Harry. Yeah, he'll be along enny tahm now. Jest lissen for thet big diesel of hisn'."
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by ylinett »

Face with the possibility that she somehow has no desires he smiles and intones "My cinnamon girl. What is he like?"

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#34 Post by Spectreman17 »

Bait, Desert Runner:

"This Harry Gentleman had better hurry up and arrive if he expects to be fit to travel this day. The drink flows too freely here, especially if I keep putting it on Harry's tab," Bait says with a wink towards the nearest waitress, waving his now empty second pitcher, "But it's his lost day, not mine, keep it coming dollface."

I look to the man with the chainsaw hand and ask, "So how is it you got that thing attached? It seems like it would make driving a bit of a challenge, you must have one of those magical ah-to-matics or something. but the possibilities..." I whip out my shotgun, "Could we slap one of these on?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Stirling »

Ash puts his glass down and thanks Tel for the fine tuning on the chainsaw. Looking at Bait he points to his elbow stump and explains the gadget.

"well, I had to hack through my arm at this point here, the axe wasn't sharp and it needed a couple of extra blows. Diabolic forces had killed my friends, they became blood thirsty zombies and I was under threat of demonic possession. With my own arm srangling my throat I had little choice otherwise to rid myself of this necrotic evil. The saw is unwieldy but once in the swing it can cut and slice with power. The fitting on the bone and stump is a bit agricultural but with a bit of bionic help and this bayonet fitting I can remove it. Or even add a hose and fuel tank and it can be a mini-flamer if needed. As for driving, I get by, if I need an extra hand, well...you see I didn't actually lose my arm completely...'Fingers' always found a way to crawl back through the nether world to me. So now I just have him around..."

Ash picks up his duffel bag and opens the drawstring. Slowly a green-gray disembodied hand, long dirty fingernails and still dangling tendons crawls across the table towards him.

"Wave hello to everyone."Ash says. The hand makes itself stand erect, bending at the wrist in mock bow and waving the finger digits on greeting.

"He is quite harmless. 'Fingers' shoot the man with the gun. Play dead. " The hand, still erect on the bone stub makes a two fingered gun and thumb trigger pointing at Bait. Then it drops and rolls over. It performs a few other minor actions before crawling back once more into the duffel bag.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Stirling »

Ash smiles. So, how do you travel this Highway Tel. Any zombies where you come from?"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Pulpatoon »

Tel finishes up with Ash's chainsaw prosthetic. "That's a very... ah, unique solution to a... um, well, it sounds like a rather dire situation. But surely you'd rather something more... you know, handy, now that those circumstances are past?"

When the reanimated hand emerges, Tel blanches. "You're saying that's not a genesculpt, or anything? That's a real zombiehand? Your real zombiehand?"

Tel pokes at the hand with a french fry. "No offense. But. Would... uh, would you mind putting it away? It... it has an odor that is not... well, some of us are still trying to eat."

In response to Ash's question: "We don't have anything like that where I come from. I mean, we have reanimated corpses, of course. But, you know, it's AIs inhabiting discarded corpsemeat as functionaries in order to more easily interact with humans. Normal science stuff, nothing supernatural.

"Oh! and my ride? It's the '36 Citroën, outback. Refurbished her, myself. A lovely piece of machinery."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Urson »

>>Regardless of her answer with a look of sincere thanks he nods his head and leans in and offers to compensate her for her help, but first to solicit the request. "So, tell me what you want. What you really, really want."

Sorry, I missed the second part of this before.

The young woman's face crumples a bit. "I jest wanna go home- but I cain't figure out how!" Briefly, she explains how she was picked up in Alabama while hitch-hiking. The guy raped her and dropped her here. She can't Travel the Highway by herself, so she's stranded. (DP's -or Displaced Persons- turn up along the Highway occasionally)

She begins to smile again as she describes Harry. "He's old- but still as handsome as kin be. Looks an' dresses like an Old West cowboy. Drives the goshdarnedest big truck you ever saw."
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by ylinett »

Urson wrote:>>Regardless of her answer with a look of sincere thanks he nods his head and leans in and offers to compensate her for her help, but first to solicit the request. "So, tell me what you want. What you really, really want."

Sorry, I missed the second part of this before.

The young woman's face crumples a bit. "I jest wanna go home- but I cain't figure out how!" Briefly, she explains how she was picked up in Alabama while hitch-hiking. The guy raped her and dropped her here. She can't Travel the Highway by herself, so she's stranded. (DP's -or Displaced Persons- turn up along the Highway occasionally)

Ah, there we go..."Sweet home Alabama." With a look of deepest pity in his eyes he continues "Country road, take me home to the place where I belong." A hand comes up and gently caresses her cheek. "I can take you there.". Looking at her, watching the of hope begin to shine. "What would you say?". Assuming she assents he will pull a paper from a jacket pocket along with a pen. Read it or not he will offer her the pen and cooingly in lulling tones say "Hold your breath, make a wish, count to three, come with me...". Sign or not he will take the contract back and parting says "All in due time. See the world through different eyes. All in due time shadow will give way to light."

She begins to smile again as she describes Harry. "He's old- but still as handsome as kin be. Looks an' dresses like an Old West cowboy. Drives the goshdarnedest big truck you ever saw."
The man in the suit then returns to the room and retakes his seat. " Time is on my side." And slides his glass across the table.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by ylinett »

Sorry screwed up formatting. Look inside quote above.

Return to “The Possible Highway (GURPS)”