The Keep IC

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: The Keep IC

#121 Post by Jack »

Alfri walks up to her, makes a small bow, and with a broad smile says "Good morning Laerwen. My name is Alfri von Drach, a servant of the Sun Father, and I would welcome any assistance in ridding that keep of the darkness there.

Friends,
" he says, turning to the party, "what do you think of growing our ranks in our struggle against the hordes of shadow?

Sammy stares at the elf, the first one he's ever seen, with his mouth open.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#122 Post by Jack »

Sammy stares at Laerwen's ears, her shortswords, and her ears again. "Do you have any experience fighting with those swords - not just training but close up figh... oh, uh, hollo, my name is Sammy-uel, Samuel, Porter. You can call me Sammy." he says as he takes his halberd in his left hand for a friendlier stance.

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#123 Post by SterlingBlake »

Well met, Laerwen. Alastair Understowey at your service, Alastair says with a deep bow, but without his usual smile.

He glances at Duin and then adds, Stories may be exaggerated for effect over cups, but 'tis no tall tale that the four of us before you each owe Mister Duin our lives.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#124 Post by Tamerlaine »

The elf ignores the human's obvious attention to her ears. "Yes, I do have some experience fighting up close with these swords," she replies, lifting a hand to one of her shortswords and gently patting the pommel. "And Sammy it is," she adds with a nod.

Then she eases herself off the wall, landing onto her feet. There is mirth in her eyes as she matches the halfling's bow with one of her own. "A pleasure, Alistair. As for dwarves and their tales, I meant no disrespect. I know that for every embellishment that falls from the lips of a dwarf, there is always a measure of truth and I do believe Duin here of the Stonefoots. If I believed you all to be liars, I certainly would not be here this morning. Let us see this meeting here a fortuitous moment for I wish to join your ranks and share in your dangers as well as your rewards."

Laerwen's words seemed to have mollified the dwarf yet he still sputters under his breath, something about tree hugging, berry munching elves that a stiff wind would blow over.

mumble
Strider
Strider

#125 Post by mumble »

It takes Daro a while to realise that the party has stopped and is busy conversing with someone. Such was his aloofness from the current goings on, as he was still coming to grips with the finality of Deldo's existence. Unbeknownst to the others, he had visited the grave before the party left Speddenfield. There, he had sat down with a basket of food that he ate while he regaled the earthen mound with stories of adventures yet to come, of dreams and ideals. As his tales dried up, he started contemplating the life of the adventurer and the potential loss of more companions. The light of the setting sun shining straight into his eyes had brought him out of his reverie. He packed up his basket, leaving a good portion of food on the grave in memory of the short time spent together, and headed back to the inn.

Making his way to the front of the group to be able to observe the newcomer, Daro is pleasantly surprised at the prospect of a female joining their party. With a flourish and a bow, he introduces himself. "Ah, fair maiden, Daro is pleased to make the acquaintance of such a majestic elf! Mayhap Daro and yourself can converse about the differences and similarities between our magics? Did these louts at least offer you more than that delicious-looking apple to eat? Daro would not be surprised if they didn't. Please, join us for a light snack and let us get to know one another. Surely it is fortuitous that our paths would cross on this day!"

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#126 Post by Tamerlaine »

The elf Laerwen, or 'Leaf' as she is known to many outside her home, the Vesve Forest, politely accepts Daro's invitation for a light snack. The dwarf simply ignores her, drinking much more ale than he would have normally, a dark cloud hanging over his head. The party finishes up and they are on their way again. Leaf proves herself an affable companion, responsive to any questions and curious about each member of the party.

Nothing happens during their journey to the keep and once again, the party finds themselves in the woods NE of the keep. It is the middle of the afternoon.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#127 Post by Jack »

Alfri sits down, and says "Alastair, do you want to go scout out the keep alone for another way in?"

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#128 Post by Tamerlaine »

Jack wrote:Alfri sits down, and says "Alastair, do you want to go scout out the keep alone for another way in?"
Leaf turns to the halfling. "If you wait till night, I'll go with you. I can see in the dark. I'll hang back far enough to cover you but not so close that i'll compromise you sneaking around."

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#129 Post by SterlingBlake »

Alastair considers Leaf's offer, "Trouble is, Leaf, I don't see especially well in the dark and the nasty goblins in the keep do. Might be best if we scout it out now. This seems the hour they're most likely sleeping within, but when night falls they may rouse and patrol. Let us see what we can now and make a decision about this evening with that information in hand.

mumble
Strider
Strider

#130 Post by mumble »

Don't know if I'm jumping the gun a bit, but Daro's got Sleep memorised for the time being...

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#131 Post by Tamerlaine »

A surreptitious circuit of the old keep is attempted and the party notes the southeast tower walls have collapsed, just a hill of rubble. A pond lay at the east side fed by a stream.

EDIT: It is the southwest tower, not the southeast.

Last edited by Tamerlaine on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#132 Post by SterlingBlake »

Alastair eyes the collapse at the southeast corner for some time. Seeing no movement there he turns to Leaf, "I will search the rubble to see if we cannot slip into the keep through that damaged wall. Would you keep an eye out for any threats?"

Alastair stays low crossing as little open ground as he can to reach the rubble frequently looking up for any defenses at the keep. Once he reaches the rubble he will begin searching for any possible path through it or perhaps another entrance that has been hidden by the fallen wall. As he searches he will keep glancing toward the keep for any danger.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#133 Post by Tamerlaine »

Leaf trails behind the halfling with her bow out and a arrow knocked. Alistair crawls up the rubble strewn incline before reaching the ruined tower at the southwest. The floor is a tall mound of stone and broken beams of wood where the ancient walls and ceiling of the tower simply fell in. From the top of the heap, Alistair notes two corridors, one branching north, the other east.

Alistair, roll for a DEX check. If you fail, take 1 HP of damage from slipping and falling among the sharp jagged ends of the rubble.

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#134 Post by SterlingBlake »

Alastair's check Dex check [1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11

OOC: I assumed his DEX bonus applied, but if not, please subtract 1. Sorry, not sure how the check works. If I was meant to roll less than his DEX to succeed then that's success.

Alastair works his way back to Leaf keeping low and watching over his shoulder.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#135 Post by Tamerlaine »

SterlingBlake wrote:Alastair works his way back to Leaf keeping low and watching over his shoulder.
Leaf watches the halfling makes his way back down the hill of rubble, a pair of wide, expectant eyes scanning the ridge of broken stone. Together, the pair reunites with their comrades as Alistair reveals his findings.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#136 Post by Jack »

Alfri looks at the ground below the tree canopy, "Should we rope together some of the longer fallen branches to walk on, to make it easier to cross the rubble?"

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#137 Post by SterlingBlake »

Alfri, I think that depends partly on our timing.

Alastair turns to address to whole party, I reckon we have just a few hours of daylight left and our best chance for catching goblins asleep is probably during the day. If we are all prepared to enter the keep now, and my opinion is that is best, then we should not delay. If, however, we need more time to prepare or would like to give ourselves more daylight hours for this business, then we should move away and camp the night.

What are your opinions on this question?
Alastair asks them all.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#138 Post by Jack »

Sammy steps towards Alastair, "Let's go."

Alfri thinks for a second, looks at Daro, Duin, and Leaf, and says "The higher the sun, the more of the roofless areas will be bathed in light."

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#139 Post by Tamerlaine »

Duin nods at Sammy's words, giving everyone a huge toothy grin. "Aye, I'm wi' Sammy. Let's go an' bash some heads!" he growls gleefully, giving his shield a rap with his war hammer.

Leaf smiles in spite of the dwarf's enthusiasm and shrugs her shoulders. "I'm game."

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#140 Post by SterlingBlake »

Alastair trails the party in his usual fashion until the group approaches the keep at which point he'll lead the way over the rubble showing the best way to go over learned from his slip earlier.

Return to “Keep of Shadows (S&W Core)”