Re: OOC Lounge

#81 Post by Jack »

Is the tunnel entrance collapsed?

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by Tamerlaine »

Jack wrote:Is the tunnel entrance collapsed?
Yes. I'm going to assume that the party collapsed the mouth of the tunnel after the fight with the rats.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by Tamerlaine »

** UPDATE **

The party is (tentatively) located in the County Of Ulek (of Greyhawk's Flaeness setting). More info can be found here...

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... ty_of_Ulek

herostyle
Squire
Squire

#84 Post by herostyle »

Tamerlaine wrote:If the party is waiting for dawn, the party will need to camp overnight. Will there be a fire? What is the watch rotation?
Alfri will take 3/3 (assuming three watches) and there will be a small fire in order to prep a quick breakfast. He'll try to hide the light as much as he can, going for heat over brightness, but he's a cleric so who knows what kind of woodcraft skills he has.
Keep of Shadows (S&W Core)
Alfri von Drach - Lawful Cleric of Pelor (1), HP: 6/6, AC 5

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by Tamerlaine »

herostyle wrote:
Tamerlaine wrote:If the party is waiting for dawn, the party will need to camp overnight. Will there be a fire? What is the watch rotation?
Alfri will take 3/3 (assuming three watches) and there will be a small fire in order to prep a quick breakfast. He'll try to hide the light as much as he can, going for heat over brightness, but he's a cleric so who knows what kind of woodcraft skills he has.
Let Alfri reflect this in the IC thread.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#86 Post by Jack »

Marching order outdoors and indoors:
A fighter in front and back? Sammy, Alastair (to quickly and quietly go to the front if he needs to scout ahead), Daro (protected in the middle), Alfri, Duin?

Or because Sammy's halberd allows him to fight second rank (standing behind someone) even in confined spaces: Duin, Sammy (second rank), Alastair (to quickly and quietly go to the front if he needs to scout ahead), Daro, Alfri?

Watch rotation:
Whoever has least health after damage should get a long rest (1+2, 1+5, or 4+5) to recover. Since the fighters are likely to receive most damage, and the magic user being lowest when receiving any damage, how about a default of:
1. Daro, Duin;
2. Duin, Alastair;
3. Alastair, Alfri;
4. Alfri, Sammy;
5. Sammy, Daro?

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#87 Post by Jack »

Do the spell casters need to take the last watch to be up early in the mornings to read/pray for spells?

herostyle
Squire
Squire

#88 Post by herostyle »

Hey guys, I'm moving and will be frequently without internet access outside of work. I'm not sure I can keep up with this after all. I'm sorry to pull an in-and-out again but I'm going to withdraw.

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#89 Post by SterlingBlake »

Jack wrote:Marching order outdoors and indoors:
A fighter in front and back? Sammy, Alastair (to quickly and quietly go to the front if he needs to scout ahead), Daro (protected in the middle), Alfri, Duin?

Or because Sammy's halberd allows him to fight second rank (standing behind someone) even in confined spaces: Duin, Sammy (second rank), Alastair (to quickly and quietly go to the front if he needs to scout ahead), Daro, Alfri?

Watch rotation:
Whoever has least health after damage should get a long rest (1+2, 1+5, or 4+5) to recover. Since the fighters are likely to receive most damage, and the magic user being lowest when receiving any damage, how about a default of:
1. Daro, Duin;
2. Duin, Alastair;
3. Alastair, Alfri;
4. Alfri, Sammy;
5. Sammy, Daro?
That watch schedule works for me. For marching order having Alastair in the middle indoors makes sense, but out-of-doors he will trail well behind the party since he's so much quieter. This way he can see what has reacted to your loud passing and attack from behind any that attack the party from behind.

My suggestion for outdoor marching order is:
1. Sammy
2. Alfri
3. Daro
4. Duin
Alastair trailing behind within bowshot.

For indoor I'd say either:
1. Alastair
2. Sammy
3. Alfri
4. Daro
5. Duin

OR
1. Duin
2. Sammy
3. Alastair
4. Daro
5. Alfri

I don't really like Duin, as an NPC and maybe a drunk, in either the lead or the end, but I'm not sure how to better position us. I also kind of like having Alfri near the middle to heal and bless the fighters. What do you guys think?

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#90 Post by SterlingBlake »

herostyle wrote:Hey guys, I'm moving and will be frequently without internet access outside of work. I'm not sure I can keep up with this after all. I'm sorry to pull an in-and-out again but I'm going to withdraw.
Jay, are you OK with your character going NPC?

Dave, is this too many NPCs? We could make a call for replacements.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#91 Post by Jack »

SterlingBlake wrote:
My suggestion for outdoor marching order is:
1. Sammy
2. Alfri
3. Daro
4. Duin
Alastair trailing behind within bowshot [and] see what has reacted to your loud passing and attack from behind any that attack the party from behind.
Sammy's low int (6) and wis (10) means he probably shouldn't ever be in front, so swap him and Duin? If Alastair's taken out silently, we may not notice.
SterlingBlake wrote:For indoor I'd say either:
1. Alastair
2. Sammy
3. Alfri
4. Daro
5. Duin
I like this indoor order, and since Sammy was an indoor guard he's okay this high up indoors. Can we swap Daro and Alfri to protect Daro more (but unfortunately then not have Alfri in the middle anymore)? These changes mess with the neatness of outdoor/indoor just being Alastair moving from 5th to 1st tho, and characters getting used to fighting between 2 others.

Alastair
stealthy
missiles
dex = 14
movement = 12?

Alfri
no missiles
dex = 9
movement < 12?

Daro
missiles
dex = 7
movement < 12?

Duin
fighter tank

Sammy
missiles
fighter tank
int = 6
wis = 10, so he probably shouldn't ever be in front, but then
str = 12 to open doors and
dex = 13
movement = 12

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#92 Post by SterlingBlake »

OK, Jack, you make a good point. How about we proceed with the indoor marching order:
1. Alastair
2. Alfri
3. Sammy
4. Daro
5. Duin

This lets Alastair watch for traps, etc. and keeps Alfri close enough to the front that he can get engaged in the melee since he has no missile weapons. Then Sammy is in second rank (because Alastair will be out of the line once combat starts) to use his pole weapon.

Then for outdoors, we go with the same order except with Alastair last instead of first. It's true that makes it easier for Alastair to be picked off without you knowing, but he's pretty confident you guys make so much noise in the woods that you'll completely mask the little that he makes, and he will go unnoticed.

This keeps Daro sandwiched between two fighters all the time too, which I think is good.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#93 Post by Jack »

Ettienne, how are you with

watch rotation:
1. Daro + Duin
2. Duin + Alastair
3. Alastair + Alfri
4. Alfri + Sammy
5. Sammy + Daro,

outdoor marching order:
1. Alfri
2. Sammy
3. Daro
4. Duin
5. Alastair,

and indoor marching order:
1. Alastair
2. Alfri
3. Sammy
4. Daro
5. Duin?

herostyle
Squire
Squire

#94 Post by herostyle »

SterlingBlake wrote:
herostyle wrote:Hey guys, I'm moving and will be frequently without internet access outside of work. I'm not sure I can keep up with this after all. I'm sorry to pull an in-and-out again but I'm going to withdraw.
Jay, are you OK with your character going NPC?

Dave, is this too many NPCs? We could make a call for replacements.
Yeah, I'm totally fine with Alfri being an NPC.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by Tamerlaine »

Nice work with the marching orders and watch rotations. Once its set in stone, I'll post it somewhere 'official.'

Just a couple of things...

One, I put in an recruiting advert for a new player. Keep your fingers crossed.

Two, with Alfri now considered an NPC, I'm not all that excited to run two NPCs. Would anyone consider taking Alfri and playing him in the short term?

Now let's get back to the story and get this sucker going.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#96 Post by Jack »

Tamerlaine wrote:with Alfri now considered an NPC, I'm not all that excited to run two NPCs. Would anyone consider taking Alfri and playing him in the short term?
I'll play Alfri as NPC, unless someone with experience wants to do it. I'm currently still more of a roll player than a role player, so Alfri2 will be a bit more laconic.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#97 Post by Jack »

How do magic levels work?

Table 6 (p. 9) has 2 different types of levels, the cleric level (CL) on the left, and what I think is the cleric spell levels (CSL) at the top.
Alfri is CL1 and so is at CSL0.
A CL2 can have 1 spell from CSL1.
A CL4 can have 2 CSL1 spells and 1 CSL2 spell.

So "Cure Light Wounds" (p. 52) is a CSL1, which means a CL1 can't cast it, only a CL2+. Do clerics just pray for something in their CSL or lower? Do CL2+s have slots?

Daro is a magic-user level (MUL) 1, and can have 1 MUSL1 spell (p. 13). At MUL3 he can have 2 MUSL1 spells and 1 MUSL2 spell. His 16 INT allows him to only advance to MUSL8 (p. 6). What does "Minimum / Maximum Number of Basic Spells Understandable per Level" mean?

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by Tamerlaine »

For clerics, class level and spell level are two different things. As a 1st level Cleric, Alfri (as an example) he receives no spells as he is proving himself worthy of his god. When he reaches 2nd level as a cleric, that's when the spells kick in and at this point he is eligible for only one 1st level cleric spell. Just try to keep the idea that class and level of spells are different.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#99 Post by Tamerlaine »

Jack wrote:What does "Minimum / Maximum Number of Basic Spells Understandable per Level" mean?
Say you are a 1st level Magic User with an Int of 14, which gives him a Min/Max of 5/8. He has a 65% chance of knowing a spell. At first level there are only 10 spells listed. You go through the list, rolling your percentile dice to know each spell up to your maximum, which is 8. If your rolls are really bad you go through the list yet again until you finally get the minimum number allotted, which is 4.

After that, the only way to get new spells from the lists is to find one in your adventures, trading with other mages or buying them. Again, you have to roll to 'know the spell.' The only way he can know more spells than his maximum number is by finding new and unused spells from outside the known lists.

Hope this helps

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#100 Post by SterlingBlake »

For a cleric the spells known is irrelevant, that's just for magic-users. Magic-users can only memorize spells for the day from those they know. Clerics pray for their spells each day and ask for whatever they want on their allowed list. By default, that's any on the cleric spell list (by spell level), but in some campaigns the list might be different by god, race, alignment, etc.

Return to “Keep of Shadows (S&W Core)”