OOC Discussion 2

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion 2

#641 Post by drpete »

It's cool. If Alex clarifies that bit, I'll adopt it. It appears from the discussion (which is sort of spread over 4-5 threads) that this description is good... the "spellbook" is just the repertoire, and you can have other formulas in spellbooks, but not copy other people's spellbooks.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#642 Post by sulldawga »

The rulebook actually gives a description of what happens when you swap a spell in your repertoire.
Quintus decides to stop actively monitoring the various stars, spirits, or taboos associated with Shield so he can start paying attention to those associated with Magic Missile.
It also notes that spells don't disappear when you remove them from your repertoire.
However, he still possesses a copy of the formula for Shield...
It just seems overly complicated to say that when you remove a spell from your repertoire, not only do you stop studying the signs and rituals associated with the spell, you physically remove it from your "A" spellbook and copy it in your "B" spellbook.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#643 Post by bobloblah »

drpete wrote:It's cool. If Alex clarifies that bit, I'll adopt it. It appears from the discussion (which is sort of spread over 4-5 threads) that this description is good... the "spellbook" is just the repertoire, and you can have other formulas in spellbooks, but not copy other people's spellbooks.
I'm really not trying to beat you over the head with some kind of "official" response... I don't care what Alex says vis-à-vis your ruling. Your ruling goes until you say otherwise, and I no more expect you to change it than I would change my own campaign based on what he says. My post is really just for curiosity's sake.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#644 Post by Stirling »

Does the phrase 'Pillar of Magistus' mean anything to anyone. Is it a name of a famed noble, lord, priest, wizard? or an order like a magistrate, court? Did a Magistus do anything in the time of Termax internment?

Oh and as an idea, if we get to ask the Oracle another question, why don't we ask, " Oracle, what would you like to know?" ( a bit of reverse psychology, you can often find out more what they know by understanding what they don't..).

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#645 Post by drpete »

Magistus doesn't mean anything to anyone. It sounds like a name, but who knows? Definitely not a name in use around Adamas.

The level of available knowledge of history is definitely a controlled thing. There may be sages with that info, who knows?

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#646 Post by bobloblah »

What do you mean when you say "a controlled thing?" Controlled by whom?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#647 Post by drpete »

Just that there are "depths" of knowledge that can be discovered in play, rather than a universally known setting you can read in a sourcebook.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#648 Post by thirdkingdom »

bobloblah wrote:What do you mean when you say "a controlled thing?" Controlled by whom?
The Knowledge Mafia, obviously.

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#649 Post by barkman »

"That's a nice book there, be a shame if anything happened to you or it, if you mention anything from it to someone else"

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#650 Post by bobloblah »

thirdkingdom wrote:
bobloblah wrote:What do you mean when you say "a controlled thing?" Controlled by whom?
The Knowledge Mafia, obviously.
:roll: :)
drpete wrote:Just that there are "depths" of knowledge that can be discovered in play, rather than a universally known setting you can read in a sourcebook.
Ok, I wasn't sure if you meant in-game or not.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#651 Post by drpete »

Yeah, various knowledge (lore) proficiencies can give you bits of the history, there are sages, etc, and Dwimmermount itself contains a lot of info. The general person just doesn't have that much info. By default, you know about your local area, and a broad brush coverage of the history.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#652 Post by Zorroroaster »

Before we move on - we are in room 16 (Orc squat) and Plud had originally suggested heading to 14, correct? There are now suggestions to go to 18, which would leave 14 unsearched.

Did I miss something?
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#653 Post by sulldawga »

Let's do 14 before 18.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#654 Post by kalstone »

sulldawga wrote:Let's do 14 before 18.