OOC Discussion 2

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC Discussion 2

#601 Post by Dogma »

bobloblah wrote:I agree too. Plus, that way, individual characters can get the whole group into deep trouble.
I second this.

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#602 Post by barkman »

Thirded.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#603 Post by thirdkingdom »

Look, this is a big friggin' dungeon. I firmly believe that the best way to tackle it is a systematic exploration, room by room, starting with our current location, instead of moving through vast swathes of unknown territory to get to a destination we're not really sure of. If you guys want to go tackle the orcs I'll go along with it, but request that we at least check all the rooms we pass so as to not be surprised. I think what Pete needs is as follows:

1)A route. We've got room numbers, let's use them.
2)How fast we are traveling? I suggest mapping speed to reduce the chance of surprise and blundering into traps. I also think it is foolish to assume that any rooms cleared over say, a week, will remain cleared and safe.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#604 Post by Zorroroaster »

I'm good with that - it was what we were doing before the whole kobold thing. We were mapping the northeast when Solaine got hit by the scarab.

I went along with the Orc idea as IC Torgyr didn't like the idea of orcs aware of us in the dungeon and becoming a bigger pain in the arse. But OOC I'm fine with (and agree with) the logic of systematically moving through.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#605 Post by Dogma »

thirdkingdom wrote:Look, this is a big friggin' dungeon. I firmly believe that the best way to tackle it is a systematic exploration, room by room, starting with our current location, instead of moving through vast swathes of unknown territory to get to a destination we're not really sure of. If you guys want to go tackle the orcs I'll go along with it, but request that we at least check all the rooms we pass so as to not be surprised. I think what Pete needs is as follows:

2)How fast we are traveling? I suggest mapping speed to reduce the chance of surprise and blundering into traps. I also think it is foolish to assume that any rooms cleared over say, a week, will remain cleared and safe.
Yup...IC Ranulf is ready to charge into battle, OOC I totally agree

for a route I propose that while we are at location #27 we investigate the writing on the floor by the statue. We then go back to #24 and move to #23 then to #17. We can spike the door leading to #18 to cover our back and then move into the corridor. We can then check #15. This also gives us access back into #1 if we need to evacuate due to injuries at this point. If not we continue west to #16.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#606 Post by kalstone »

I'm fine with that too. One thing we have to keep in the back of our minds though, is the possibility that the orcs have barred all the doors to the entrance room and/or are holding that room in force. When we get ready to leave, we may have a pretty large fight on our hands. We can't let ourselves get worn down by whatever we find in these rooms.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#607 Post by bobloblah »

While, in principle, I agree with thirdkingdom, I share kalstone's concern about the entry room. You can't really plan to not get worn down.

EDIT: Let's go with Dogma's "plan of attack."

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#608 Post by Dogma »

bobloblah wrote: You can't really plan to not get worn down.
“No operation extends with any certainty beyond the first encounter with the main body of the enemy.” - Helmuth Von Moltke

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#609 Post by thirdkingdom »

Dogma wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:Look, this is a big friggin' dungeon. I firmly believe that the best way to tackle it is a systematic exploration, room by room, starting with our current location, instead of moving through vast swathes of unknown territory to get to a destination we're not really sure of. If you guys want to go tackle the orcs I'll go along with it, but request that we at least check all the rooms we pass so as to not be surprised. I think what Pete needs is as follows:

Yup...IC Ranulf is ready to charge into battle, OOC I totally agree

for a route I propose that while we are at location #27 we investigate the writing on the floor by the statue. We then go back to #24 and move to #23 then to #17. We can spike the door leading to #18 to cover our back and then move into the corridor. We can then check #15. This also gives us access back into #1 if we need to evacuate due to injuries at this point. If not we continue west to #16.

Okay.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#610 Post by sulldawga »

Dogma wrote:
bobloblah wrote: You can't really plan to not get worn down.
“No operation extends with any certainty beyond the first encounter with the main body of the enemy.” - Helmuth Von Moltke
"Plans are useless but planning is essential." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#611 Post by drpete »

So... is this a consensus to go back up that way? It sounds like it...

I'll update with the info about the statue area before officially moving you to 24 and then to 23. Are you going to want to listen/check for traps at the door out of the "ghost room"?
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#612 Post by sulldawga »

Zim wholeheartedly endorses the plan to go 24 -> 23 -> 17 -> 1.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#613 Post by Stirling »

He who fails to plan is planning to fail.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#614 Post by Dogma »

I wasn't advocating that we shouldn't have a plan...just that we need to be ready when that plan fails apart :)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#615 Post by drpete »

Good planning is important. I've also regarded a sense of humor as one of the most important things on a big expedition. When you're in a difficult or dangerous situation, or when you're depressed about the chances of success, someone who can make you laugh eases the tension.

- Edmund Hillary
l
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#616 Post by Zorroroaster »

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."

- Woody Allen
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#617 Post by Dogma »

“Even the good plans of wise wizards like Gandalf and of good friends like Elrond go astray sometimes when you are off on dangerous adventures over the Edge of the Wild, and Gandalf was a wise enough wizard to know it.”

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#618 Post by Zorroroaster »

"I have a cunning plan..."

-Baldrick

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#619 Post by barkman »

"Baldrick, what begins with Come here, ands with 'ow'"?
-Edmund Blackadder

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#620 Post by Zorroroaster »

Damn, that was a great show.

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”