[IC] Into the Unknown

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

[IC] Into the Unknown

#1 Post by Julius Sleazer »

15th Springmonth I
Country East of Pontes

A consensus forms, and the adventurers proceed according to the given directions. Along the way, they pass a handful of farmhouses. They can see men and women busying themselves with agricultural and domestic tasks; a few polite greetings are exchanged, as well as customary remarks concerning weather and crops, but nothing of great import is said.

Finally, the adventurers come to the eastward-leading winding lane that begins near a dried-out pond. After half a mile, the party passes by a large farmhouse next to a great barn. An enormous extended family of farm-folk busy themselves about tasks, and a number of mules and draft-horses are to be seen. The dwelling seems like an ordinary farmhouse that has expanded over many years to contain successive generations, rather than a house purpose-built for grandeur.

The party continues on for another half-mile, at which point they can see the pine woods ahead. The trees are truly thick, and no paths or trails or immediately evident. From a cursory visual examination, it seems as if it would be difficult and slow for a man to trek through these woods, let alone a horse. Low-growing branches are in abundance, and being familiar with woods, the four from Durans Well surmise that the forest floor is likely slick indeed from previous years' accumulations of dead, brown pine needles.

The sun is low in the sky; perhaps forty-five minutes of daylight or so are left. Off in the distance, a baying noise can be heard, coming from somewhere far in front of the adventurers. A touch of coolth creeps into the air.
Cadmus the Confused

"I say we advance into yon woods, just past the tree line, and establish a cold camp for the night. We can maintain a watch at the perimeter of the trees and try and ascertain if anyone passes by and, if they do, what route they take."
Alfius the Aeviternal, Fighter

Alfius agrees.
Tacitus the Multiloquent

"I like not the role of creeping spies, but...well, the game may be worth the candle."
15th Springmonth I
Country East of Pontes

Following the lead of Cadmus, the adventurers venture a few feet into the thick woods. Passage is quite difficult; the horses have to be carefully guided to avoid from slipping on the carpet of slick, dead pine needles, and furthermore, the youths have to bend back or break off many a branch to allow the horses entry and continued progress. It is easy to determine that faring further into the forest with the horses will be practically impossible if any sort of reasonable pace is to be maintained.

For now, however, the horses are safely within the tree line, shielded from the eyes of any passersby walking outside of the planted pine forest and attempting to gaze within for any purpose. Keeping watch without the aid of light or hot food, the adventurers keep their eyes and ears peeled, looking for any sign of evil-doers, lurkers, or the like. Soon, their vigilance is rewarded.

Roughly a long spear's-throw deeper into the woods, they espy a crouching form which does not seem to notice that it has been noticed. The thing has a foul, horrid, and unusual form---it appears to a bipedal thing dog-like or wolf-like, yet neither, and not a man wearing the pelt of such! It crouches on hands and feet, and its tongue lolls out of its mouth disgustingly as it keeps big ears pricked. An unnatural and off-putting yellow light gleams in its eyes.
60 yds distant, PCs have advantage of surprise, all the branches and trees means everyone gets partial cover. Declare intentions.

EDIT: Surprise rolls. Party rolls first, as always.: 2#1d6 6 1
Last edited by Julius Sleazer on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [IC] Into the Unknown

#2 Post by thirdkingdom »

Cadmus the Confused

"Halt!" cries Cadmus, fingering his holy symbol, "advance no further, unnatural beast!"
Cadmus casts Hold Person. Not sure if it affects werewolves, but Cadmus wouldn't know that.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Julius Sleazer »

15th Springmonth I
Country East of Pontes

The dun-hided lurker lets out a screeching howl that almost sounds as if it was made by a woman or a panther. It does, however, seem firmly frozen in place following Cadmus' command. The horses rear up and make frightened noises. No other lurkers seem to be nearby, but the moon is only half-full and many of the stars are hidden by clouds; vision is currently quite limited.

Saving Throw vs. Spells; saves as 4th level fighter: 1d20 5

Saving throw failed.

I'm basically calling combat over; if someone wants to take a blade and
coup de grâce this creature, it shouldn't require a roll.

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by Vektunaxa »

Alfius dismounts and strikes the chaos creature with his halberd.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Julius Sleazer »

15th Springmonth I
Country East of Pontes

Aflius strides through the dark forest, maintaining his footing in the dark through a combination of fleetness and fortune's favor. After striking down the man-beast or beast-man, as the case may be, he gazes upon the creature he has slain. Its hideous hide is a dunnish golden color, with flecks of grey or black strewn throughout in a few places. The thing's leering visage is made even more disgusting by the presence of large ears that stand up several inches above the crown of the thing's skull.

Its long, lolling tongue is foul to look upon, and its fingers end in sharp claws. The hands have opposable thumbs and look as deft as any man's hands. Alflius looks about nearby, reasoning that a creature with hands such as these might also have a man's powers of reason, or something like unto such.

The farm-youth's gaze soon falls upon a hollow log. Within, five gems sparkle faintly in the dim moon- and starlight. Furthermore, the hearty halberdier espies a cunningly-wrought glass-and-metal vial which contains a murky liquid of some sort. The absence of proper light makes detailed appraisal of these finds difficult.

x: 5#1d100 53 75 50 23 86
x: 1d6 5 1d100 4
x: 1d100 46
x: 1d8 1

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by thirdkingdom »

Cadmus the Confused

Cadmus looks dubiously at the corpse. "That looks to me like a werewolf from the tales of old, but from what I can remember such beasts were not easily slain by mundane weaponry. Regardless, its appearance stinks of chaos; we should burn the body to make sure it is properly dead." He pauses a moment. "But burning the body will bring attention to ourselves. Let us bind the body with many strong ropes and separate the head from it by some distance, then in the morning we can emerge from the woods, saturate both with oil and set them alight!"

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus Numerous

"Indeed legend has the true Were beast impervious to all but enchanted weapons, but as this beast is dead let us separate the body and head and burn it in the morning as Cadmus suggests".

Decimus dismounts to take the gems and vial of potion from the log.

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by Vektunaxa »

"I had become momentarily concerned that this was not a creature of Chaos and that we had fallen to the level of murder, but I accept Brother Cadmus' absolution and I am relieved to know that we are still on the side of Law. I will follow whatever funeral rites that Cadmus dictates."

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus Numerous

"Let us move a reasonable distance from that body and establish our camp, then let us wait to see if any lights or other signs show us things happening out here or if that story was misleading".

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Julius Sleazer »

15th Springmonth I
Night
Pine Woods, East of Pontes

The party settles in for a cold watch. Before long, they hear the noise of men crashing through the woods and uttering ear-searing oaths. Eighty yards to the northeast or east-northeast, the adventurers spot seven or more torches bobbing up and down in the dark, along with dim glances of sweating faces. It would seem that denizens of this dark wood are advancing upon them.

Okay, MM's IC statement and Todd's OOC statement are in line with each other; that constitutes a consensus.

Encounter?: 1d6 6

Yeah, that's an encounter.

Is the party surprised? Party is surprised only on a 1 because they are keeping a watch.: 1d6 6

x: 2d6 8

Distance of eighty yards.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by thirdkingdom »

Cadmus the Confused

"I think we should spread out and announce our presence if they approach within thirty yards," whispers Cadmus, "if we stay beyond their torchlight and maintain ten or so yards between ourselves we should be able to take them."
Last edited by thirdkingdom on Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by Vektunaxa »

"Your plan is sound, but the axiom is in question. Do we want to take them, or leave them unmolested?" Alfius whispers back. "This does not sound like the Bacchanalian party that we expected."

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Wyzard »

Tacitus the Multiloquent

"We ought not burn the body. We should take it back in to town, and take credit for destroying a cackling creature of chaos!"

Tacitus draws his sword and finds a big tree to hide behind. He whispers, "Should we escape, evade, or stand to meet them? I think we should conceal ourselves, and see if they merely pass by."

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus Numerous

"Yes, let us stay hidden and wait to see what they do before we act, only fight if we are discovered and threatened".

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Julius Sleazer »

15th Springmonth I
Night
Pine Woods, East of Pontes

The adventuring youths opt for concealment, hiding behind trees. The lights bob and dip, advancing forty yards all told. Some of the men whose faces can be seen by torchlight look grim and angry; others seem scared or shifty.

"Can't we go back?" one of these later whines.

"Shut your fool mouth!" another responds.

"Don't see anyone. If anyone was this way, they're gone by now," another opines.

"Someone was here. No, someone is here! Look, behind those pine-trunks: horses! Four of 'em! You think someone's going to hide four horses and then just leave 'em?"

Following the fourth man's words, all seven draw forth weapons. Blades shimmer in the torchlight, some being but daggers, but others are full swords. One of the men, a broad-faced bearded sort, opens his mouth to yell out in a booming voice.

"Come out now and state your business, and no harm will come to you! Hide in the trees like a bunch of damned rats, and we'll cut your swiving heads off!"

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus Numerous

"We are merely travellers on our way towards the farmlands here to follow a rumour of gold in the hills ahead, we had started to set up camp when alarmed by the sounds of your approach we hid in case you came in hostility. Who are you and what brings you out into the woods in the darkness?"

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by thirdkingdom »

Cadmus the Confused

"We are but simple travelers!" calls Cadmus, concealed behind his tree, "weary from the road and wary of danger!"

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by Vektunaxa »

Alfius steps out into the open with his sword drawn; his halberd he leaves with his horse. "Here we are," he says. "Your hostility is unwarranted -- and, frankly, offensive."

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Wyzard »

Tacitus the Multiloquent

Tacitus also emerges, holding his sword at rest. "I think everyone would be best served if we put all thoughts of decapitations aside. It can be hard for a man to guess which way the wind will blow when setting out on that course."

Return to “Into the Unknown (B/X D&D)”