[IC] Into the Unknown

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [IC] Into the Unknown

#521 Post by thirdkingdom »

Cadmus the Confused

Cadmus peers at the wall, attempting to espy movement or signs of life. "Is there a standard watch procedure?" he asks Tasco, "or are the men inclined to drunkedness or sloth?"

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#522 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Tasco, Bandit

"The common procedure is for one man alone to keep the whole night's watch. Some are vigilant and eagle-eyed, while others may shirk or even drink to the extent that they can do so without being discovered and punished."
Wall?

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#523 Post by Julius Sleazer »

13th Springmonth II
Shortly After Dawn
Environs of the Bandits' Castlet

Cadmus scans the exterior of the tower. The wooden door to the castlet is not visible; it faces the direction from which the adventurers originally came when they approached. The watchful cleric sees three different arrow-slit windows from which a man might fire upon the party. It looks as if one of the arrow-slits, likely on the second floor, is revealing some light. The one on the tall first story and another, likely on the third story, are dark.

I assume by wall you mean, like, the exterior wall? The surface of the castlet? Apologies if I am assuming incorrectly.

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#524 Post by Vektunaxa »

Alfius the Aeviternal, Fighter

"Where do the troops sleep? If Decimus casts his spell through an arrowslit, it may block the other bandits from either climbing up or down. If they sleep on the ground floor, that could force them to come to us, rather than fill the skies with their arrows."

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#525 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Tasco, Bandit

"You have the right of it, sir. The common lot sleep on the ground floor. The second story is for the lieutenants, and third is for the chief and his woman. You've already done for one of the lieutenants."

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#526 Post by Vektunaxa »

"Then let me ask Decimus to put his web through the second-floor arrowslit while we charge the gate. That will place a barrier between the ordinary men and the leaders, and prevent them from accessing means of shooting at us. We can probably be at the gates before they loose more than a single arrow. Then we either batter it down, or set it alight."

"What say you?"

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#527 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus Numerous

"My spell would not reach the upper floors as it is some way further away that it travels, however I could use it through a lower arrow slit on the ground floor. Let us approach on foot as the horses are likely to be too noisy and stealth is required."

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#528 Post by Vektunaxa »

"Yes, and they shy from combat as well. Even if your spell cannot catch them unawares inside, if we sneak up and hurry until we're right under their walls, they will not be able to target us effectively from those arrowslits. Then we just have to break down the door. Let us go."

Alfius ties Faenerator to a tree behind the hill and begins to sneak towards the castlet.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#529 Post by thirdkingdom »

Cadmus the Confused

Cadmus agrees to Alfius's proposal, ties his horse up and motions for Tasco to follow, quietly.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#530 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus, Mage of Mystery

Decimus ties his horse and looks to move stealthily up towards the tower.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#531 Post by Julius Sleazer »

13th Springmonth II
Shortly After Dawn
Environs of the Bandits' Castlet

The four from Durans Well tie up their horses and advance with attempts at stealth, followed by Tasco. All proceeds well for a few seconds, until Decimus puts his boot down on a clump of dry twigs. They snap and crack loudly in the morning stillness.

"Ho there! Beware of creeping lurkers!" booms a loud voice from within the castlet.

The party is 240 yards from the castlet. Intentions?

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#532 Post by Vektunaxa »

Alfius charges in accordance with the plan that he suggested earlier, billhook in hand.
I.e. get in close so that their bows can't deflect downwards enough to shoot at us.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#534 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus

Decimus charges forward looking to cast his enchanted web through the first floor arrow slit.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#535 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Combat Round One

Accompanied by a shouted insult, a crossbow bolt flies forth from the window, aimed at Decimus. The quarrel grazes the spellcaster's forearm, leaving a bloody groove. Meanwhile, a man comes charging around the south side of the tower, advancing to a distance of thirty feet west of the tower. He is shirtless and furthermore wearing a grimy canvas apron and shit-covered boots. He brandishes a wooden pitchfork in both hands and screams hideous defiance.

Decimus and the rest of the adventurers, followed by Tasco, run forward on foot towards the tower. Decimus and Tasco soon overtake their companions, being but lightly encumbered as they are. As yet, no further signs of lights being lit within the castlet are visible, but a considerable din is emanating and echoing forth from the windows.
Init: 2#1d6 3 6

Party loses init.

A bandit circles around from the other side of the tower.

The bandit in the window fires on Decimus: Crossbow attack on Decimus; -1 penalty due to long range: 1d20-1 15 1d6 2 That's a hit for two points of damage. Decimus, who had been healed up to 19/22, is down back down to 17/22 hit points. I have updated the wiki accordingly.

PCs: Decimus and Tasco each advance at 120 yds. The other three all advance at 60 yds.
For next round, can I have intentions? I might not wait to hear from everybody; I assume y'all are going to continue the charge, but I wanted to wait (very briefly) to see if plans are changing with the extra dude.

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#537 Post by Vektunaxa »

Alfius charges the bandit in the open.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#538 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus

"That will only serve to make me angry you fools" cries the mage making more haste toward the tower intent on getting where no quarrels will reach.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#539 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Combat Round Two

Tasco charges forwards and engages with the pitchfork-armed bandit. Although the runaway 'prentice's skill with swordplay leaves much to be desired, he does manage to draw the attention of the man and arrest his charge, at least. Decimus charges forward to the first story arrow-slit and casts his charm of ensnarement. From within, he can hear the satisfying sound of at least one man cursing and collapsing.

Alfius, Cadmus, and Tacitus continue running toward the castlet as fast as they can, taking no fire. Sounds of alarm and anger can be heard from within the bandits' dwelling. No further foes dash out from unexpected directions.

Round Two Initiative. Party rolls first as always.: 2#1d6 6 5

Party wins init this round.

Decimus advances another 120 yds. You know what? I had intended to announce that I am going to start enforcing the rule that you can't move and cast spells in the same round, but I don't think that I did. Since I didn't make the announcement, I'll permit him to cast a spell this round (see below in the magic phase).

All other PCs, including Tacitus (not currently a PC): 60 yd advance. Alfius is charging course as specified IC.

Tasco: 120 yd advance; intent to engage in melee with the pitchfork-wielder.

Decimus: Web.

Tasco: Attack on pitchfork-wielder: 1d20 3 1d8 4 Miss.

Okay, bandits:

The guy who was firing on Decimus is presumably busy reloading (crossbow).

The guy with the pitchfork: Declared intention to charge Decimus. Caught up in melee now (screened by Tasco, whether or not that was Tasco's intention). I would probably allow a PC in this situation to continue the charge (and also be subject to a free attack from the guy they're in melee with). The bandit is doing no such thing.
Combat Round Three

More crossbow quarrels issue forth from the castlet. One misses Tacitus, who jeers confidently. Another strikes Alfius, inflicting a mere flesh wound upon the polearm-lugging adventurer.

The pitchfork-wielder strikes Tasco a grazing blow. The young bandit, who was perhaps on the road to reform, keels over dead, seemingly slain more by shock than any actual harm inflicted. The bandit who slew him ululates triumphantly.

Aflius, Cadmus, and Tacitus continue their advance...

Initiative for Round Three (party rolls first as always).: 2#1d6 4 5

Okay, the bandits regain the initiative for this round. They are subject to a morale check. They will have a penalty of +1 (penalties are best expressed as positives rather than negatives in B/X; consult B27, for example).

Morale Check, +1 penalty: 2d6 6

Damn it, forgot to put the penalty in. Okay, that makes it a seven. They hold.

Bandit from second story window vs. Tacitus: Crossbow attack on Tacitus: 1d20 11 1d6 4 Miss.
Another bandit at third story window vs Alfius: Attack on Alfius: 1d20 15 1d6 2 Check the character name field on the roll, if desired---this guy is not a 1 HD foe. *Checks Alifus' AC*---okay, that wouldn't've mattered here anyway, as any foe could've hit his AC with that roll. Two damage for Alfius; he's back down to 21/26. I have recorded this information on the wiki.
Bandit in melee with Tasco: Um, spot ruling: the pitchfork will function as a spear, without throwing capabilities, and at -1/-1. Melee attack with pitchfork on Tasco. -1 to hit, -1 damage.: 1d20-1 16 1d6-1 1 That's a hit for one damage. How many hit points does Tasco have?: 1d8 1 Tasco is dead.

Okay, PCs:

Aflius, Cadmus, Tacitus: continued advance at 60 yd pace.
Tasco: Moot.
Decimus: See OOC post.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#540 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus

Decimus hugs the side of the building where no missiles can be shot towards him. He looks to avoid any attackers emerging from the building, but keeps his spells saved for a time where they can be more useful.

Return to “Into the Unknown (B/X D&D)”