[OOC] Into the Unknown

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

Re: [OOC] Into the Unknown

#361 Post by Vektunaxa »

End Chapter One

And so did the adventurous youths from Durans Well defeat the bandits and gain custody of a noble worthy of a rich ransom, and so become known as bandit-killers, and wilderness-striders, and men not to be trifled with in the empty lands. In the days that followed, they participated in many sharp affrays, and began to glean some idea of the significance of the mithril weapon which they carried, and also learned much of the ways of the wider world, and become inured to hardship and peril. But that is a tale for another day...
Does this mean we've reached the end, or at least a point where there will be a pause? If so, thank you for the great game! (Actually, let me say thanks anyways.)

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#362 Post by Julius Sleazer »

You're more than welcome! Thanks for playing.

And yes, we've reached the end, or an indefinite pause, if you will. I really like this setting a lot, and would like to return to it someday, but I need to do some thinking before doing so. We've been playing for basically six months real time, and no one has leveled.

This setting is very influenced by fantasy novels, and I'm afraid that more thought may be needed on my part about how to best translate that to a D&D game. In other words, the D&D game is kind of predicated on an explicitly and aggressively post-apocalyptic setting in which ruins and treasure abound. This setting strays (only to a certain degree, admittedly) from that.

The (roughly) six-month mark seemed like a good time for me to gauge campaign health, and we were also at a high point---better to stop at a high point than a low point. If you guys had been playing poorly (as in unskillfully), I wouldn't feel bad about no one leveling, but I don't feel that that's been the case. This is a group with skilled D&D players.

What I would like to do, if any of y'all are interested, is start a new game in a more traditional milieu---one more immediately conducive to gradual progress (in terms of leveling and item acquisition). I want to think about this setting and how to best handle it for potential future games. I'm not burned out on gaming or this group or anything, though, by any means. I hope that at least some of you guys will interested in continuing on with a new game.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#363 Post by MonsterMash »

Thanks for running the game JS. I did enjoy it, but I think for a non dungeoneering style game it can be slow for levelling of characters that start at a higher level like this, particularly where there is not so much treasure about.

I hadn't really expected Decimus to level as MU need a lot of XP to get to level 5.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#364 Post by Julius Sleazer »

So, any of y'all interested in the new game I am starting?

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#366 Post by Julius Sleazer »

thirdkingdom wrote:Sorry, busy morning. Thanks for the game and I am interested. Are you thinking here or on rpg.net?

No need to apologize!

(And thanks for playing, as always)

I am undecided as to whether to play here or on RPG.net. What I might do is have a recruitment thread on RPG.net (strike while the iron's hot), and then have the game either here or on RPGnet, as I decide. I don't think that's a rules violation; I've seen people recruit for offsite Vampire and Star Trek games on RPG.net.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by thirdkingdom »

Julius Sleazer wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:Sorry, busy morning. Thanks for the game and I am interested. Are you thinking here or on rpg.net?

No need to apologize!

I am undecided as to whether to play here or on RPG.net. What I might do is have a recruitment thread on RPG.net (strike while the iron's hot), and then have the game either here or on RPGnet, as I decide. I don't think that's a rules violation; I've seen people recruit for offsite Vampire and Star Trek games on RPG.net.
Nah, you're good. The two things I like most about this site are the ability to use multiple threads within a single sub-forum -- the game I'm running now on rpg.net has four threads, and I wouldn't mind having more -- and the ability to edit posts indefinitely. That being said, I also really like the wiki, since everyone can edit it, as opposed to here where only one person can edit any one post.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#368 Post by Julius Sleazer »

thirdkingdom wrote:
Julius Sleazer wrote:

No need to apologize!

Nah, you're good. The two things I like most about this site are the ability to use multiple threads within a single sub-forum -- the game I'm running now on rpg.net has four threads, and I wouldn't mind having more -- and the ability to edit posts indefinitely. That being said, I also really like the wiki, since everyone can edit it, as opposed to here where only one person can edit any one post.

Oh, even if I run here, I will definitely use an RPGnet wiki page.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#369 Post by Julius Sleazer »

A Character for Todd: 7#3d6 12 11 11 7 6 10 8

STR 12
INT 11
WIS 11
DEX 7
CON 6
CHA 10

GOLD 80

Third level in the class of your choice (starting XP = minimum for that class). Max hp (future hit dice will be rolled). I have a preference for human PCs, but if there are a limited number of demi-humans, I won't complain.

Not a killer set of stats, but since you can rearrange as per the rules in my games (consult page B6), you have enough to rearrange and get a +1 bonus in either STR, INT, or WIS.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#371 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Anyway, I've decided to do initial chargen for interested parties here while I think over where I want to run the game, on the grounds that it could be kinda tacky to run a recruitment thread at RPGnet and then immediately move the game elsewhere. If I decide to run the game at RPGnet, shouldn't be anything at all tacky about just saying "these guys got their rolls on Unseen Servant; check out the link to this thread if you don't believe me."

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#372 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Equipment roll for Wyzard, who has said he wants in on this one:

Equipment Roll for The Wyzard: 3d6 14

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#373 Post by Julius Sleazer »

The starting PCs are going to be wandering out of the wasteland. Broadswords and attitudes, standard drill. Competent and fairly seasoned adventurers, but not knowing much about the land into which they've traveled. People will still speak the same Common, though. This isn't going to be a game about pantomiming to find out where the bathroom is.

This is going to be your standard kitchen-sink D&D setting with lots of weird monsters like hydra, manticores, otyughs, et cetera. Demi-humans dwelling on the fringes of human society. That type of stuff. Lots of underground complexes. Kind of a Wilderlands of High Fantasy vibe...big sprawling setting, lots of competing small kingdoms and city-states.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#374 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Wyzard is going to be playing a vat-born clone of Thuar the Dark Elf. The clone will have a similar personality to the original character. The clone (named Thuar 74) will also be scaled back somewhat in power level (to 8000 XP, minimum for 3rd level).

PCs (including the above) who start play as a 3rd-level Elf or 3rd-level M-U will know all 1st-level spells in the rulebook. They will also know either a.) two 2nd-level spells of their choice or b.) three RANDOM 2nd-level spells. If one chooses random, I will roll the dice, and if there are duplicates, they will be re-rolled until the character knows three distinct but randomly selected 2nd-level spells.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#375 Post by MonsterMash »

Ok, think I'll come in for the new game.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#376 Post by Julius Sleazer »

MonsterMash wrote:Ok, think I'll come in for the new game.

Glad to have you on board, MM.

A Character for MonsterMash: 7#3d6 9 10 7 12 11 10 14

STR 9
INT 10
WIS 7
DEX 12
CON 11
CHA 10

GOLD 140

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#377 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Random three 2nd-level spells for Wyzard:

Random spells for Thuar 74, a character played by The Wyzard: 3#1d12 12 3 10

Wizard Lock, Detect Invisible, Phantasmal Force.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by thirdkingdom »

Julius Sleazer wrote:The starting PCs are going to be wandering out of the wasteland. Broadswords and attitudes, standard drill. Competent and fairly seasoned adventurers, but not knowing much about the land into which they've traveled. People will still speak the same Common, though. This isn't going to be a game about pantomiming to find out where the bathroom is.

This is going to be your standard kitchen-sink D&D setting with lots of weird monsters like hydra, manticores, otyughs, et cetera. Demi-humans dwelling on the fringes of human society. That type of stuff. Lots of underground complexes. Kind of a Wilderlands of High Fantasy vibe...big sprawling setting, lots of competing small kingdoms and city-states.
Cool. This is my favorite premise out of the games you run.

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#379 Post by Julius Sleazer »

thirdkingdom wrote:
You are not the first person to tell me that. You are not even the first person to tell me that today.

One question for you: Select two 2nd-level spells, or take three randoms?

A question for all: How do you create an RPGnet wiki page again? Like, I can figure out, remember, or copy most of the actual page-making, I just can never seem to remember the initial step to actually get the page started/made.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#380 Post by Wyzard »

Julius Sleazer wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:
You are not the first person to tell me that. You are not even the first person to tell me that today.

One question for you: Select two 2nd-level spells, or take three randoms?

A question for all: How do you create an RPGnet wiki page again? Like, I can figure out, remember, or copy most of the actual page-making, I just can never seem to remember the initial step to actually get the page started/made.
That's because there really isn't such a step. You just go to the address of the page you want to have exist, and start editing it.

Return to “Into the Unknown (B/X D&D)”