Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"Shadows Over..." - The Investigations of Josephine & Gordon

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

Arkham, MA
September 1, 1925

Josephine Clark

frantically shuffles through the papers on the desk searching for clues. The professor of English Literature at Miskatonic University and part-time amateur sleuth is looking into the murder of one of her students, Elsie Wendall. Josephine had been shocked, angered, saddened over her death. Being an accomplished woman of action she knew she wanted to look into this herself. Like her hero from literature Sherlock Holmes, Josephine set about investigating the student's past and her recent movements for some clue. Josephine came across a strange church newsletter in the bottom of Elsie's locker, and some school gossip about a boy. Now, after picking the lock, she is in his apartment searching for clues.

There is a sudden knock at the door!

Private eye Gordon Pym

listens at, then knocks on the door of Elsie Wendall's boyfriend apartment. Did he hear a noise in there? The gumshoe had been hired by the bereaved family of Elsie, who had been gruesomely murdered a month ago in Arkham. The Miskatonic University student's head and hands had been missing. Local police couldn't turn anything up, then similar murders were discovered in Boston and Providence. (See 'The Hunt - Marius and Eddie Take Aim' thread.) When no progress was made, the family hired Pym. It was a tough case. He poked around a lot, eventually learning from Arkham Gazette Reporter Eddie Sharpe about the Bureau of Investigation (BOI) involvement in the broader case. Eddie and Pym even investigated a freak show circus they thought could be part of a cult.

But no one was looking out for departed Elsie, and Pym was determined to see justice done. In the course of interviewing Elsie's school friends, he learned about a secret boyfriend, Tommy Johnson, and the apartment they had together on the wrong side of the tracks. Apparently Elsie had a wild streak in her, dallying outside campus at this palooka's shotgun apartment. It was worth checking out.

Pym knocks on the door.
Last edited by Grognardsw on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: "Shadows Over..." - The Investigations of Josephine & Go

#2 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine Clark

The girl's death bothered her. Elsie was a promising young woman who was going to take the future by storm. Now she was gone, a soul plucked from Earth too early.

That wasn't going to stand for her. She knew how to get evidence, she knew how to search for clues, and she knew how to handle herself. After picking the lock on the apartment of the boy Elsie knew, she began searching the room for any signs of Elsie's being there or, better yet, any fact that the boy may know more about what happened.

It was a short time after she came in and locked the door behind her that a knock rang out. Unsure who would be visiting the man, Josephine crept and waited behind the door opening to see if the person would enter or, better yet, leave.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gordon Pym

determined to search for evidence the private investigator knocked on the door bravely, daringly, or possibly stupidly after hearing a noise possibly through the door. Taking a steadying breathe he knocks once more this time adding "Private Investigator Pym May I please come in?" waiting by the door one trying to look calm and relaxed. "I'm here to investigate, I'd like to ask some questions if you will let me in."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine Clark

Josephine gives a long sigh. Figures a male investigator would be called on to the case. Composing herself, Josephine moves over to the door and opens it.

The investigator would see a well put together woman, with pale skin and blonde hair tucked behind a ladies fashionable hat. She appears to be in her late 20's.
She would also be wearing what could arguable be called a "man's detective trenchcoat",
She opens the door with a smile "Hello sir. I must admit, I am a tad embarrassed. I wasn't expecting anyone to come up here, let alone a private investigator. My name is Josephine Clark, a pleasure."
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gordon Pym

As the door opens the private eye composes himself straightens his hat and stands up straight. Upon seeing the woman he looks a bit surprised . "Hello Miss Clark. Might I inquire just what are you doing here?"

Josephine Clark sees a man in a trench coat and Fedora calm and composed standing before her. A clean shaven man who looks like he could be in his 20's or 30's. But then again looks can deceive.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine Clark

Josephine chuckles half-hartedly at the man's questions. "This is a bit embarrassing, but I am here to investigate a young woman's death. She was a student of mine and I cannot help but feel responsible to see she gets justice. She was too young to be taken like this."

-Dr. Seuss

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gordon Pym

Relieved that he has found an ally in this investigation he relaxes further. "Ah well that is fortunate then, for now we have two of us on this investigation. I would suggest we can work together on this. What do you say miss Clark."

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine Clark

She smiles and offers her hand "That would be fine Mr. Pym. I welcome the help."

-Dr. Seuss

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Grognardsw »

Josephine and Gordon search the apartment. (Please make Spot Hidden rolls.)

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine Clark

Josephine looks around the apartment for anything of interest.
Rolled for Spot Hidden: 25. Rolled an 8

-Dr. Seuss

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Grognardsw »

Grognardsw wrote: Josephine came across a strange church newsletter in the bottom of Elsie's locker, and some school gossip about a boy.
Josephine and Gordon search the apartment. They find tell-tale signs that a girl has been there frequently, but not so much as to say she lives there. This echoes the gossip heard by Josephine. The amateur sleuth comes across an an item that gets her attention. A copy of the same church newsletter that she found in the bottom of Elsie's locker.

The newsletter:

The church address on the back of the newsletter is in Innsmouth, a coastal town about 40 minutes from Arkham.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gordon Pym

Needed 50 rolled 85.

Searches the room with Miss Clark "Well I think we have another location to visit now. What do you think shall we seek the church out and find out just when they last saw Elsie."

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine Clark

Josephine looked over the pamphlet, much the same as the one she saw before. She put it away in her purse and looked at Gordon Pym. "Yes, I believe our next lead will be located at the church. That pamphlet was rather odd though. Just the way the wording was played. I've seen pamphlets for church before, but not one quite like that."

-Dr. Seuss

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gordon Pym

takes another once over of the room before the two decide to go looking for the church for further leads. "Very well. Church pamphlets are always trying something else to draw in folks but perhaps this one contains hidden messages and that may well be why it appears strange in wording."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Grognardsw »

As the two investigators are readying to leave, they hear footsteps trudging up the stairwell. Several seconds later the door lock is being opened from the outside.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Grognardsw »

Josephine and Gordon hesitate but do nothing as the door opens and in walks a young man.

"Hey, what are you doing here?!"

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gordon Pym "I'm a private eye. I'm investigating. Who might you be?"

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine Clark

She looks the man up and down "And I'm his assistant. We'll be asking the questions here now."

-Dr. Seuss

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Grognardsw »

"I'm Reggie Scarpetto, and this is my apartment!" the young man answers defiantly.

Josephine and Gordon realize this is the turk who Elsie has been seeing, and it is indeed his apartment.

"I should call the coppers on you! Breaking into my place - what do you think your doing here!?"

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine Clark

She looked over the man. He looked like a typical young adult male hoodlum in her opinion.

"For all purposes, we are the police. We are investigating the murder of Miss Elsie Wendall. I believe you know her."

-Dr. Seuss

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”