"Shadows Over..." - The Investigations of Josephine & Gordon

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: "Shadows Over..." - The Investigations of Josephine & Go

#201 Post by Grognardsw »

Gordon, Eddie and Josephine walk down the streets of Innsmouth toward the church. It is about a 15-minute stroll. They are about to pass a few folks on the sidewalk, but they seem to all cross the steet to avoid the out-of-town investigators.

The sky has filled with gray clouds over the course of the afternoon. A cool breeze blows in from the sea, carrying the smell of fish and brine. The town seems quiet, the silence occasionally broken by the caws of seagulls flying overhead. As they get closer to the church they see other people walking in from the streets, several horse-drawn wagons, and a few beat-up Model-T cars.

Rev. Hillman stands at the door greeting parishioners. He sees the investigators and waves.

"So glad you could cast ashore here for the good ward!" he says. "We're pooling down below for the pot-luck dinner."

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#202 Post by makken123Tabs »

"Thank you, Reverend. Good, I'm famished! Let's swim down to the depths," answers Eddie, beaming and trying to get into the "fishy" mood.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#203 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gordon Pym "Ah yes appears your charms have caught us. We shall swim down stream and join the others." joining Mr. Sharpe and the fishy banter.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#204 Post by makken123Tabs »

Eddie smiles between the Reverend and Gordon, hopefully his eyes and mind seem empty, in a religious, putty-ripe-for-moulding kind of way.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Grognardsw »

Josephine smiles pensively at Rev. Hillman. She doesn't have a good feeling about this. The investigators go up the stairs and step into the church. It is gloomy inside as dusk's dim light comes through stain-glassed windows into the unlit worship hall.  Folks are headed downstairs and Gordon, Eddie and Josephine follow.

The basement meeting hall has several long tables and chairs. A motley crowd of parishioners are seated, making small talk. As the investigators enter, it grows uncomfortably quiet as everyone looks at the out-of-towners.

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#206 Post by makken123Tabs »

"Howdie," says Eddie, shaking numerous hands whether they want to or not. "Eddie Sharpe of Arkham, pleased to meet you all!"

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#207 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine has a REALLY bad feeling about all of this.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

GreyWolfVT

#208 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gordon too does not feel well about this anymore and merely smiles slightly and nods to everyone.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Grognardsw »

"Let's all give these folks a warm St. Joad welcome!"

The investigators hear the voice of Rev. Hillman behind them as the priest enters the meeting room.

"They've drifted in from Arkham, interested in swimming in our holy waters as members of our school," says Rev. Hillman, walking up and putting his arm on the shoulder of Eddie. The reporter notices the brush of cold sweaty skin against his own.

The crowd of parishioners seem to suddenly relax, some even smiling. "Welcome... Come sit... We have a good catch today... Praise be..." Smatterings of greetings from different people across the tables.

The investigators have a chance to see the crowd in more detail now and are disturbed with the look of many of them. Do the townsfolk in-breed? They have a odd look. Several of the people have more than just an odd look, they have actual deformities.

"Good to see you again," says Hezebiah Crawley.

the woman at the dock-side scene of the dead body from earlier today.

"Hello," croaks the clerk
from the Gillman Hotel.

The little deformed girl met earlier
smiles at Josephine. She's holding a mermaid doll. "You're pretty," she tells Josephine. "Do you know how to swim?" she asks.

The food set out on the tables is a medley of seafood dishes, as well as many exotic dishes that Josephine is told are from the West Indie islands. The townsfolk make civil small talk with Gordon, Eddie and Josephine. After 20 or 30 minutes of this, Rev. Hillman engages them.

"Joining any church is a serious proposition," he says. "Were you religious before, part of any flock? Why did you leave? What prompted you to seek us out?"

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#210 Post by makken123Tabs »

"I feel like you do," whispers Eddie to Gordon and Josephine, "but let's act-up or we'll be swimming home."

"Why, thank you, Reverend, your welcome is appreciated."

"Ms. Crawley," he responds when she greets him.

"I woshipped at a small Methodist chapel, Reverend Hillman, St. Christoph's outside Arkham. I'd been part of the congregation there since I was a child." He affects a strained expression: "When my sister drowned, I began to question my faith . . . and then I heard about St. Joad's."

GreyWolfVT

#211 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gordon Pym holds up the pamphlet that was found in an earlier investigation "This is what inspired me to come here. Something about how things were phrased, just spoke to me. It really reeled me in."

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#212 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine smiled at the....creepy little girl, "Thank you sweetheart. And yes, I can swim.." she said nervously then faced the congregation. "I am looking for a new home, as it were. My last church disbanded and I wanted a change of scenery. This is someplace new and you all seem a friendly lot."
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Grognardsw »

Rev. Hillman nods at the investigators words. "Many are the streams flowing into Joad's holy waters. I am glad each of you find your way to us. Now let us break fin and partake of this god bounty."

Hezebiah sits next to Gordon. "Try Lith-iana's kelp biscuits dear, they are to die for," she says handing the P.I. a plate of heaping slightly green biscuits.

The little girl smiles at Josephine, her face scars making the smile difficult to look at. "Maybe we can swim together someday."

The investigators settle in to eat and talk with Rev. Hillman and the congregants. "It is not often new catches arrive in our boat, but we wellcome them with open nets. Fresh currents make for healthier waters." 

The Rev. discusses the church beliefs, which seem based on the secret gospel of St. Joad, a thirteenth apostle of Christ, earthly brother to Jesus of Nazareth, and fisherman of men. There are similarities to traditional Catholic and Jewish belief, but it veers into new waters that frankly astonish the investigators. Conversation touches upon volunteer activities, the season's fishing results, weather, and town gossip.

"We will gladly baptize you after our dinner," says Rev. Hillman with a smile.
Feel free to converse and ask questions amid all this.

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#214 Post by makken123Tabs »

Eddie laps it all up, so to speak.

"The baptism, Revd. Hillman," he asks, "is it the traditional holy water from the font sprinkled on the convert?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Grognardsw »

"Ours is a more immersive and uplifting experience," answers Rev. Hillman. "We have a pool in which the supplicant is baptized under witness of parishioners and the spirit of St. Joad."

GreyWolfVT

#216 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gordon Pym "That does sound more uplifting." the P.I. chimes in.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Grognardsw »

The food is passed around during conversation...

"Crocodile?" says an ugly buck-toothed young man to Josephine.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#218 Post by FantasyChic »

Josephine smiled, but shook her head "Oh no thank you, I had crocodile for lunch." She helped pass the plate along.

-Dr. Seuss

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#219 Post by makken123Tabs »

Eddie nods to the Reverend:"Uh huh,"and then food is served, which gets his attention. He tucks into the grub, apparently with relish."I've never tried croc.--must eat it once--'Good boy for trying' as my mom used to say.

"Miss Clark, you're teasing us."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Grognardsw »

Dinner passes with more small talk religious and mundane.

Then Rev. Hillman stands up and announces to the investigators, "Are you ready to be baptized into the sacred order of Joad?"

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”