Chapter 7 Epilogue

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 7 Epilogue

#21 Post by Rukellian »

After having met Matkinsai and the 'faceless' man, the group discussed plans of great importance. It would seem as if Matkinsai has found a safe place for the king to take refuge, but in order to safely move his highness out of the city, Fenrin must be dealt with. The 'faceless' man claims to be a sailor merchant and has spotted a suspicious individual who fits one of Fenrin's disguises.

After quite the fulfilling meal and a good night's rest, everyone feels ready to take on today's challenges. All that remains is finish collecting and sharing information and setting up a plan for when they reach docks. Captain Hal volunteers to stay behind at the tavern to help watch over the king. Deceidon's father, the tavern owner, agrees to this and asks that Amberlynn help tend to the king as well, given her talents and knowledge in the healing arts.

Elethil and Rand cannot help but shake the feeling that they know the 'faceless' man, Elethil even more so given his elven insight into such things. Regardless, everyone seems to trust the man enough and if Matkinsai shows passive approval, then all is well for the time being.

Rand mentions that he knows the docks well and tells the group of certain vantage points that can be exploited, certain areas for hiding and the walkway patterns of most sailors and merchants that frequent the area.

You guys let me know if you were prefer to skip over to the dock sequence, or if you want to do something else beforehand or something all together different.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by onlyme »

Rukellian wrote: You guys let me know if you were prefer to skip over to the dock sequence, or if you want to do something else beforehand or something all together different.
I'm fine with skipping over to it... thanks
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rukellian »

The city is alive with activity once more as a new day begins. Despite the horrible business of the king's passing and the disorder of the royal court, the common folk seem to go about their normal everyday lives. Stores start to open up, traders and customers from afar gather, the smell of delicious foods and breads fill the air, as well as the sounds of various craftsmen at work. There is a large amount of people within the city this day as many have not yet left after the execution; thus, all the local taverns and inns are filled to the brim. Even Deceidon's family tavern is starting to fill as well.

The city is great and the people flocking around right now is many. Under such conditions, it is easy to get lost if one is not acquainted with the lay of the city. Fortunately for the group, Deceidon and Rand seem to know there way around and brings the group to the docks within no time at all. The activity there is just as a big as the marketplace area. In the far distance, looking down a hillside, you see various ships at port, many of which are merchant ships dealing in the trade of goods from far away lands. Many sailors and dockworkers can be found performing various tasks: lifting, carrying and moving ship cargo, sharing a pint or two while chatting with fellow crewmembers. And then there are those who appear to be in charge of various facilities in the dock area, shipyard foremen, dock overseers, local fishery owners, etc..

Rand shows the group the areas that he spoke of as he points from afar. The dock is surrounded by a tall semicircular wall that serves as another security point between New Dathan City and everywhere else across the seas. You see people frequently stopped at certain checkpoints as guards go about their usual searches, much like your first time entering the city. As you approach one of the checkpoints, one of the guards steps forward and begins to ask you what could only be a long line of questions. The other guard stops him though, shakes his head and motions for you all to go through. They all nod their heads towards the 'faceless' man as he passes, and shows similar respect to the rest of the group. Even so, regardless of whatever agreement was made beforehand, it still doesn't stop them from shooting wary if not hostile glances towards Elethil, Rand and Matkinsai. Elethil does not hide the fact he is an elf, and most people do not welcome elves right now. Rand looks too shady of character to not keep your eyes on him, and Matkinsai, dressed as he is, hints towards a potentially magical background.

Everyone who is going to docks have passed the security checkpoints and are now situated in the heart of city's port.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn breathes deeply the sea air and sighs. "Nothin much says home ta me then the ocean breeze. Been run aground far too long." he smiles and looks to his comrads. "We're on the last leg of this adventure, I think. Soon we'll be done with this dirty business. "
Last edited by tooleychris on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell quietly looks around and then asks the two mysterious guides,

Do you see who we are looking for?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Grognardsw »

"We seek Fenrin," answers Deceidon.

He motions the others into an alley. "Its best if we garbed inconspicuously. There are enemy eyes and ears about that may give word of elf or suspicious looking men about. Can you draw your cloak hoods?"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rukellian »

onlyme wrote:Whitsell quietly looks around and then asks the two mysterious guides,

Do you see who we are looking for?
The 'faceless' man and Matkinsai take a quick scan of the area. They shake their heads no. "If the ships are anchored," says the faceless man, "then the person we seek must still be around, most likely complaining about it."
Deceidon motions the others into an alley. "Its best if we garbed inconspicuously. There are enemy eyes and ears about that may give word of elf or suspicious looking men about. Can you draw your cloak hoods?"
Matkinsai has no problem with this and does so, as does Rand, though Rand gives Deceidon a funny look that says, 'like this will make me any LESS suspcious'. :roll:

Some of the sailors recognize Flynn and invite him over for a drink. "Oy, if it isn't the saltiest dog I've seen yet! Gerald, look! It be Flynn, he's back!" The two grab a third mug and beckon the swashbuckler to join them.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

Elethil pulls the hood of Sunshine's cloak over his head. It won't fool anyone who gets a look at his eyes, but at least his ears aren't quite so conspicuous.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn smiles wide and accepts the offer, keeping an eye on his company.
"Not as salty as yer socks, Micah!" Flynn laughs. "Gerald, you two are a sight for my eyes! Tell me. What news at the docks?"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rukellian »

tooleychris wrote:Flynn smiles wide and accepts the offer, keeping an eye on his company.
"Not as salty as yer socks, Micah!" Flynn laughs. "Gerald, you two are a sight for my eyes! Tell me. What news at the docks?"
"While you've been busy doin' who knows what, the Frozen Maiden here has made quite a few voyages. The winds of have been good and the slavers have been off our backs, thank be the gods! We be settin' on heading back over to the Isles, once this nasty business clears up here." Gerald finishes a swig of his pint and wipes his mouth with a forearm. He then elbows Micah in the ribs and starts to let loose a hearty chuckle.

"So uh, Flynn my boy, you got anchored down by some lovely dove? We haven't seen ye in for... uh, a long time!" Gerald adds in with some laughter of his own, "aye, I be figurin' the only thing that would keep ye from yer first love would be another."

"Don't try to deny it," Micah says as he hands Flynn a drink, "yer smile says it all. And I swear I saw a little more swagger in yer walk as well." The two sailors both eye the swashbuckler up with silly grins of their own.

Sure enough, the Frozen Maiden, or as some like to call her, 'Elsa', is found right behind the men as they talk with Flynn. The ship is in good condition, and even as they speak, cargo is being loaded onto the ship. Flynn knows this ship well, having sailed on it with his crew some months ago before his encounter with the slavers; it looks like the ship made it out in once piece too.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell remains quiet, admiring the iron works found on the docks and the ships' outer hulls.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rukellian »

As most of the group convenes in a small alley to alter their attire, a loud voice can be heard bellowing out nearby. The voice is familiar, and as you turn around the corner to see who it is, you notice the silky blue tunic with frilly cuffs. It is the mayor of the Dunnet Community, Mr. Wessiwiser! You see a few of his villagers with him, no doubt following their leader after being freed back to the real world. "Now look here sir! I have rightfully purchased that ship and have a crew ready to go, you cannot keep us here just because you haven't heard from someone who probably isn't even half as important as me!"

The well-rounded mayor is causing quite a stir at the docks and has even resorted to finger pointing, a bold and dangerous move considering that the finger is pointing at an armed guard who looks like he's worked one too many days in a row. Alongside the mayor is a the shady gem merchant that Whitsell did business with, the freelancer twins that helped clear the bandit camp, their pockets now lined with coins and gems, and a couple of other store owners from the prison realm.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Grognardsw »

"Ask if they've seen anyone matching Fenrin's description," whispers Deceidon to Flynn about his shipmates.

Then quietly to Mstkinsai: "Do your magics detect whom we seek?"

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by tooleychris »

"Is good to see Elsa, for true." says Flynn to his mates. "And I look forward ta regaining me sea legs. Been land locked too long ..but first I'm needing to find someone. You fine fellas seen anyone looking like so?" Flynn gives a descriptionof Fenrin.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rukellian »

Gerald and Micah are both quite willing to share their account of what happened not too long ago. Upon receiving the description of the man that Flynn is looking for, they both nod their heads in agreement. "Aye, that be him, no mistakin'. He was a really shady one too, saying he was some kind of spice merchant down on his luck. A couple of hours ago, he was roamin' around the docks asking various ships to travel with them. He had a large pile of coin to jingle and everythin', but no one seemed convinced of his intentions."

Micah adds on after Gerald has his say, "We are all careful of letting criminals onboard, potential thieves, mages... you know, the obvious stuff. And there was definitely something about him that didn't seem right, not sure what, but it was a gut feeling!" He pats his stomach and Gerald laughs, Flynn and him having heard that one who knows how many times.

"That man is probably skulking around the Sally Conch, all the sailors grab a drink there. No doubt, he is trying to buy passage under a table somewhere."

-----

Matkinsai responds with a shake of the head and a slight frown. "I know he is in the general vicinity. We were right to look here; however, I cannot pinpoint his location. He seems to be countering my search with a screen of his own, a necessary precaution that any mage would take really. I'm afraid that our eyes will serve us better in this venture."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by tooleychris »

"Your gut was right, as always!" Flynn says hitting the sailors shoulder. He finishes his drink and excuses himself. "Need ta find'em. Got some words. When's ol'Elsa weighing anchor?" he asks as he walks away.
Flynn passes the news on to his companions.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell mentions,
Flynn, you think you should go alone to the tavern? Dont want to raise suspicion if we can avoid it?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Grognardsw »

"Aye, to the tavern then," agrees Deceidon. "We whould post some men at the back door just in case."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Rukellian »

I hope you all had a good holiday, and perhaps black Friday as well!

From what Flynn could gather, it seems that Fenrin has been asking around for passage out of this country. His efforts may now be in the local tavern by the docks, the Sally Conch. The group decides that this is the best lead they've gotten so far and pursues. The group breaks up into at least two groups, one accompanying Flynn as he enters the Conch, and another waiting near the back doors, just in case.

What do the groups look like, does anyone do anything in particular during this sequence?

The sailors Gerald and Micah let Flynn know that the Frozen Maiden will leave when the port lockdown is lifted. They've finished their business with Kinra and are planning on heading back home to a continent across the sea.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell will continue waiting outside, looking around for the evil mage.

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”