Chp. 9 - Keep on Keeping On

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chp. 9 - Keep on Keeping On

#141 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal winks back at the Lizardman.

Lets make it two. I don't like the looks of this guy.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry nods. "And for a lock on the door?"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion turns to Wulfhart. Might I borrow 10 gold? You know where I live and how I earn my keep, so you know I'm good for it or dead. I do need a replacement spell book.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#144 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh selects one of the Hobbits fingers then starts to bend it.

"You won't be doing any filching after thisss for a while so anything you want to tell usss before I proceed?."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown, Conjurer

"Well, I'm always game for a healing spell or two... if you carry those here? In some towns such things fall under the special province of the temple... Otherwise, I'd certainly be interested in any of the following you may have... in addition to a potion of Strength for my friend." He indicates Wulfhart as if pointing out an exhibit. "Let's see... do you have a potion of Fire Resistance? Clairvoyance or Clairaudience? Perhaps a potion of Diminution? Speed? Ooh, ooh, ooh...Gaseous Form?! Polymorphicationism?!!...Flying?? Wrenly is excited at the prospect of possibly trying out some new ones. Truth be told, his home town had quite a second rate alchemist who only sold love potions and and potions of livestock control, so his experience is quite limited. "Oh, um... what exactly is it that your potions on special do? Besides make one feel delightful?" he asks.
Whoops. Just noticed the post where he lists the price for healing and strength potions. I'll say Wrenly was so enraptured looking at the wares he missed it the first time.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Grognardsw »

At the Inn & Outs...

The innkeeper looks over Porphyry. "The doors have latches on the inside, so you'll be safe enough at night. Would you be liking a room now?"

Confronting the hobbit thief...

Swilbosh the lizardman breaks one finger and is applying pressure on another when the hobbit yells: "Alright! Stop! He's at the guild, beneath the Jolly! He has your ring!"

Groyn the dwarf digs through his pouch and scrounges up 11 gp. By the arkenstone, is that all I have after all these damn adventures?

Inside Antwon's Alchemy Abode...

Asherrion asks Wulfhart for 10 gp so the gray alien-elf can buy a new spellbook. The barbarian doesn't answer right away.

Antwon talks with Wrenly: "Bethideths the healing and sthrength pothions I menthioned, I altho have pothions of Friendths (75 gp), Mending (50 gp), Love (150 gp) and Locate Object (100 gp)."

"I do have a few trinkeths pothething minor dweomerths ath well, if that may be of interethst."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#147 Post by saalaria »

"The guild? That sssoundsss like your area, Fingal. Want me me to sstop now?""

Swilbosh waits for Fingal's assent.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#148 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal smiles at the sound of snapping finger bones and confessions.

I think that will do big guy. We don't want to attract too much unwanted attention.

He then turns to the halfling.

I'll give you some free advice little fella. Next time you look for a mark, try to avoid seasoned adventurers. They tend to grow rather attached to things that they find, especially if they almost die trying to get them. Tell your partner about your finger and my large green friend here. If he returns my ring, we won't have to do the same to him. If not, we will find your little club and take care of him ourselves. His choice!

With that, Fingal nods to his large accomplice and heads to the shop to find the others.
Lets go find our friends, Swilly. This little shite has already told us everything we need to know.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#149 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn looks at the 11 measly gold pieces...How could that be? I must be drinking it away, no more order'n the good stuff! He shakes his head in dismay and heads off with Fingal and Swill to find the rest of the party.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"...oh," says Wrenly momentarily crestfallen. "Well, I suppose all I really need is an elixir of Healing. Sorry, Wulfhart. We'll have to save up for next time." He forks over 50gp for a healing potion. "I do, however, have enough to lend you 10 for your book, Asherrion." He'll hand this over if needed. "What are your trinkets and amulets and whatnot, Antwon, for future reference?"
Will update my sheet with purchase.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Pulpatoon »

Not knowing how long the party plans to stay in town, Porphyry tells the innkeep he'll be back, and goes to the last place he saw them, the bar. Unless he spots them in the street on the way there.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by AleBelly »

Disappointed in his lack of gold, Wulfhart is enticed by the potion of healing. "What about this codpiece? Could make you popular with the ladies. I have these" he laughs, flexing his muscles. "I don't need it." He also sees what he might fetch for the ring of water...

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Grognardsw »

In the street...

Swilbosh lets go of the hobbit and Fingal gives him an ultimatum.

"Oh, I'll tell him alright," says the hobbit, holding his broken finger. He glares at the lizardman and human then runs off.

Groyn the dwarf joins the others and they make their way to the alchemy shop. They pass the Jolly Hobbit brothel, which the halfling thief said housed the local thieves guild in the basement.

As they walk down the road they hear the clap-clap hoof beats of Porphyry the satyr coming the opposite way. Together they go to Antwon's Alchemy Abode.

Meanwhile, at Antwon's Alchemy Abode...

Wrenly purchases an Elixir of Healing (1d6+2 HP recovery) and blank spellbook for Asherrion. The brown-robed magic-user inquires about the magic objects.

"We have a Broom of Cleaning!" announces Antwon proudly. "A muthst-have item for manor-ownerths. It iths only 100 gold. And here iths a Jerkin of Warmth (50 gp), gauranteed to keep you comfortable even in the coldethst weather. Never go hungry with my Sthpoon of Everful Bounty (150 gp). Here is a Rabbit'ths Foot of Luck (200 gp), for when you need Lady Luck on your thside.  Then we have the Cap of Comprehenthion (175gp) helpful when talking to thosth of foreign tongue."

Wulfhart offers his codpiece for sale. Antwon stares at the barbarian's crotch, perhaps too long,  and nods sagely. "I would need a night with your codpiece to confirm iths dweomer. If true, I can offer 100 gold piethses."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown

Wrenly wraps the healing potion carefully and places it in his backpack, near the top for easy retrieval. He listens to the list of magical items - of course he is most interested in perhaps the least practical, the broom. Perhaps next time, he thinks.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by AleBelly »

"Hmm..." thinks Wulfhart, trying to recall his mother's bargaining techniques with the traveling merchants of his youth. Unfortunately, he does not possess the anatomy to replicate her success.

"The codpiece and 75 gold for potions of strength and healing. Deal?"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#156 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion thanks Wrenly for the spell book and exits the store, book under arm. I wonder how Fingal, Swilbosh, and my new friend Snoogies are doing? he muses and goes to find out.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry inform the others that he has scouted out moderately priced lodging, while picking disdainfully at the magical wares on display. Pulling out the preserved brain from their last adventure, he asks the proprietor if he would care to make an offer.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#158 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As Fingal passes the Jolly Hobbit, he takes a very close look at the place. He searches the exterior of the place, looking for anything that might look guild-ish.

Im sure it's long gone by now but I sure would like to get that magic ring back.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Grognardsw »

Inside Antwon's Alchemy Abode

Antwon considers Wulfhart's proposal as Porphyry the satyr walks in. Wrenly greets him.

"The goat-man iths indeed real then," says Antwon with surprise, looking beyond Wulfhart at the dark fawn. "I will accthept your deal if you can procure two vialths of sthatyr urine. It iths a utheful pothion component."

After Porphyry looks dismissively at the shop's wares, he offers the preserved brain to Antwon. The alchemist places the brain in a tray. "I'll need a day to sthudy it and thee iths true worth. But I am very interested in something you have..."

In the Streets

Asherrion no sooner leaves Antwon's when he runs into the other adventurers on their way to the alchemist shop. The gray elf-alien sees Fingal casing the Jolly Hobbit brothel.

The thief sees that the large two-story building is normal in appearance and well kept. There are uniform windows along the second story, which he figures are bedrooms. Red lanterns are above the front door, along with a sign showing a grinning hobbit emerging from a hairy hole. There is a woman lounging near the door.

"Would you gentlemen care to come in?" says the saucy wench. Looking at Swilbosh the lizardman, she adds: "I'm sure you'd be lots of fun."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry looks aghast at Wulfhart. "Have you been bargaining on the promise of my micturitions? I... You... This is unseemly!" But his professional curiosity gets the better of him. Turning to Antwon, "What potion would you be talking about? And how much were you offering this man—who, I should add, is in no way authorized to promise so much as a stray hair from head."

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”