Burning - Dwarven Blacksmith (Starbeard)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Burning - Dwarven Blacksmith (Starbeard)

#21 Post by Starbeard »

The third belief should be this:

‘Drumrin is a fine lad, but he lacks experience. I will get him to travel to to another dwarven hold, in the expectation that his trip will open his eyes and convince him that we would be better off elsewhere.’

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Starbeard »

I also need to pick three Instincts, don't I?

How about:

1. Never works on an empty stomach
2. Always tests a tool before using it
3. Always tidies up after he works

These are all specifically geared toward his profession, on the assumption that up to now those instincts have served him well. My intention is to eventually have the instincts change as the narrative pushes Niping forward into whatever his new role in life will be.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

Starbeard wrote:These are all specifically geared toward his profession, on the assumption that up to now those instincts have served him well. My intention is to eventually have the instincts change as the narrative pushes Niping forward into whatever his new role in life will be.
Works for me. :)

Here's where you stand....

Character Sheet

Name: Niping, Son of Kerdmen

Concept/Bio: Old and weary blacksmith looking for a trouble-less life.

Lifepaths: Born Guilder --> Apprentice --> Journeyman --> Trader

Stats: Wi: B4, Pe: B6, Po: B4, Fo: B4, Ag: B6, Sp: B3, Stride: 6

Attributes: Ref: 5, Ste: B3 (sheltered (lazy) life, high perception), Hes: 6, Hea: B6 (Dwarf, Physically active as Smith), MW: B10, Greed: [Fill in], Circles: B3, Resources: B2

PTGS: Su: B3 Li: B5 Mi: B7 Se: B8 Tr: B9 Mo: B10

Beliefs:
  • Life was bitter and bothersome then. We lived as the servants of men and elves, and our halls were homely and unbecoming of proper dwarves. I will make the men and elves aware that it was they who brought Smaug, by relying so much on our industry that we became a defenseless target of the dragon's greed.
  • It is a terrible thing, but the lot of our kind is to suffer loss, and a dwarf can always make new things. I will convince others not to try to retrieve anything from the mountain, and either do without it or make a replacement instead.
  • Drumrin is a fine lad, but he lacks experience. I will get him to travel to to another dwarven hold, in the expectation that his trip will open his eyes and convince him that we would be better off elsewhere.
  • I will always refuse Valafl's generosity.
Instincts:
  • Never works on an empty stomach
  • Always tests a tool before using it
  • Always tidies up after he works
Traits: [Dt] Accustomed to the Dark, [Char] Bearded, [Dt] Greed, [Dt] Oathsworn, [Dt] Shaped from Earth and Stone, [Dt] Stout, [Dt] Tough; Seen Not Heard, Hungry, Old and Weary, Grudgekeeper.

Skills: Black Metal Artifice B3; Cartwright B3; Carving B3; Haggling B2; Mending B4; Persuasion B3; Scutwork-wise B4; Shrewd Appraisal B4;
Stentorious Debate B3; Fear-of-Mirkwood-wise B3; Dragon-wise B3

Affiliations: 2D Northmen across Rhovanion

Reputations: None

Relationships:
(Lann, shirking apprentice)
(Drumrin, cousin)
Valafl the Artificer (Minor, Rival)

Gear:
Clothing, Sturdy Shoes, Traveling Gear
Rolling Home (Mule with Wagon)
Dwarven smithing tools (+1D with Black Metal Artifice)

Property:
(Lost to Smaug: Workshop and Large House)
10D Cash (possessions from home and workshop)

Spells:

Weapons:
[Fill in]

Greed Idiom: Craftsmanship, Beauty, and Riches. (Not power.)

Greed score...

Please go through the steps on this post. viewtopic.php?f=289&t=4891&p=220631#p220631

I calculate you with a minimum greed of B10, plus the answers to the questions below, which you can decide for yourself:
  • + 1 Greed if the Dwarf has coveted something owned by another.
  • Has the Dwarf ever stolen something he coveted? If so, + 1 Greed.
  • Has the Dwarf ever had his prized treasure stolen from him? + 1 Greed. (Besides Smaug)
  • Has the character witnessed an outsider (Elf, Man, Ore, Roden, etc.) in possession of a work of Dwarven Art? If so, + 1 Greed.
So, that is somewhere between B10 and B14. You must shade-shift once, which makes it G5 to G9.
Your guy has seen a lot, lost a lot, and strongly subject to a desire to reclaim what should be his. You can stay Gray (potent help to him, but nearly consuming him) or shade shift again to White - G6-G9 becomes W1-W4. His greed is nearly unquenchable within him, but small enough to still be contained... for now.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Starbeard »

Weapons:
Knife (Pow 0, Add 1, WS X, WL shortest)
Hatchet (Pow 2, Add 2, WS 3, WL short)

Greed: G6
  • Starting Greed score of B10 (lost prized possession: an intricate gold and sapphire brooch made by his father).
  • I'll add +1 Greed for coveting something owned by another: Valafr's own masterpiece, a beautiful and sturdy helm said to perfectly fit any head.
  • That makes B11, shifted down to G6. I think we'll keep it at that for now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Marullus »

Awesome. :)

Approved - go ahead and post it with the finished sheets.

(I'll continue to make comments here as we need to - by posting it on the Final sheets yourself, you retain responsibility for updating it there as we continue on.)

Return to “2015 Archive”