XIII. Flooded Quarry - Trip Two

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

XIII. Flooded Quarry - Trip Two

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Having concluded their business, the group exits town, crossing 'Rogue Creek,' and begins heading east on 'Old Quarry Road' which grows more overgrown the further from town the group travels. Just as before, the group splits two low, rolling hills, and a second pair of low hills line the roads to the north and south, shortly after passing the first pair. As the group begins passing through this second set of hills, the flooded quarry comes into view straight ahead in the distance.

"How many of those kobolds have you already killed?" Sorsha asks as the group continues to make their way. "We killed six of them outside, and three more inside. Plus, there were several dead from an explosion a few days ago, as well. My guess is, they are on high alert and most likely planning for us as we speak," Fulp shares. "We killed three more in a side tunnel past the cave-in," Ciar adds. "Which puts us at... thirteen. And there were ten giant rats in all." Ciar also volunteers a brief overview of previous party members, and adds that, if Sorsha was to prove herself useful, she could make a claim for the share of the prize offered by Lady Devy to clear the kobolds out.

The group hushes as it draws close, and moving cautiously. The familiar 50-foot wide strip of shore stretching between the lake’s edge and the 40-foot high quarry wall greets the group once they arrive. The area is still strewn with stony debris, and the larger boulders which stand against the middle of the quarry wall, shielding the two known entrances come into view.

Believing he spotted something, Ciar motions for the group to stop in their tracks while he studies the boulders which are still about 50-feet in front of them. Sure enough, the halfling spies a cloaked figure, with a sword and shield in their hands, crouching down and peering between a gap in the boulders, looking into what Ciar and the group know to be the kobold caves.

Because of the distance still, and the fact that they're crouching and looking away, it's difficult to make out more details about this surprise visitor at the entrance, but the group has not been spotted.

Actions?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: XIII. Flooded Quarry - Trip Two

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow looks around at the ground, trying to discern which way this man came from.

He tries to remain unseen.

Perhaps we aren't the only ones that the Barroness asked to do this task?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by onlyme »

Fulp whispers,
Probably that Ingroc fellow. He must have stayed within earshot while we were battling, and is trying to get the glory for himself.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by tooleychris »

Sorsha will pull two dagger from their sheaths and whisper "Ya didn't say we'd have competition. He a problem or a friend? Maybe if them kobolds WERE planning for your return, he'll spring their trap for us."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by AleBelly »

"Whoever it is, they're soft in the head, poking into a kobold lair alone. I'll go talk to them - I seem to have luck with this sort of thing." Sylvan winks at Sparrow, recalling his conquest at Sandpoint not too long ago.

If nobody objects, Sylvan will approach the cloaked figure with empty hands and give a low "sssssssst!" to get the figure's attention.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

Just as Sylvan is hissing to get the cloaked person's attention, Ciar remembers something.

"Oh, remember that note of Hunclay's that Sparrow found in his bedroom? Didn't it say something like, "Confirm demolition date with A's kobolds"? Maybe that's this 'A' fellow, checkin' to see where his kobolds have gone off to..."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

"Whoever it is, they're soft in the head," Sylvan starts. "Poking into a kobold lair alone. I'll go talk to them - I seem to have luck with this sort of thing." Sylvan continues, winking at Sparrow, recalling his conquest in Sandpoint not too long ago. Absent protest, Sylvan approaches the cloaked figure with empty hands and gives a low "sssssssst!" to get the figure's attention.

The startled stranger whips their head around quickly at Sylvan's calling which causes a long braid of blonde hair to flip from one side of her head to the other. The mysterious, sword wielding and shield toting stranger is a petite female elf who now stares at the druid. "Do you make strange noises at every armed individual you come across?" she snaps quietly. "You're lucky I didn't have a crossbow and mistake you for a snake."

She eyes the cave again before fully turning to the man, still keeping cover behind the bolder she's crouching behind. "Who the hell are you? I was told this place would be occupied with only kolbolds, not some, admittedly, ruggedly handsome individual." she says in a hushed tone.

"Whatever is in that cave is mine!" she says with an unexpected determination.

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan blushes and smiles at the obvious flattery. "Sorry, I don't go for elves" the druid jokes.

His demeanor takes a more serious turn.

"I'm afraid your claim holds no water. We've already been in there, and have come to finish the job. You got some bad information. But if you really want to take everything for yourself, we'll wait out here while you go in alone. And we'll step over you when the rats gnaw at your body."

He waits a few beats. "Want to try that introduction again?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

Seeing that Sylvan is engaged in conversation, and not battle, Ciar quickly closes the distance to see who he's talking to.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by tooleychris »

'Crap!" Sorsha hisses under her breath and follows the halfling trying to stay out of view to any who might be watching from the cave. "Careful. She don't look to make nice."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Is that another female?

Sparrow also moves in with the others to gang up on the elf for maximum intimidation factor.

There's nothing in that cave for you but death if you try going in alone. Trust me, we've lost one good companion in there already.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

The elf maiden glances once more at the cave, making sure only her new "friends" can see her before she stands up. "If you've already been in there, I'll assume you are not as incompetent as you look," she quips. "And I trust you have cleared out a great deal... however, that still leaves the rest unclaimed which I will happily help myself too."

"I'll leave the rats to you, naturally."

It is then that she notices the others coming slowly behind Sylvan and she sighs, "Gods be damned, does everyone and their mother know about this cave? she asks, pointing at the entrance. "I obtained valuable information about this cave, and what is within it, and it took a large effort on my part to get it. I will not be leaving without going in there."

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by onlyme »

Fulp addresses the elf after hearing the end of the dialog.

Very well. Are you expecting anyone else? You can certainly come in with us and share your knowledge. We will even speak well at your funeral.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by AleBelly »

"Look, it's simple. We go in with you, we split what we find. If you want to keep it all, go in by yourself. We'll bury your body. Or at least burn it" replies Sylvan, unimpressed. "You don't know what you're getting into, do you?"

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by tooleychris »

Sorsha giggles at Fulps comment then tries to put on a serious face as Sylvan gets hard. "This might not be the best place to banter. Lets go in together or go back to our hiding spot and argue there who gets to be rat food."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

The elf smirks a bit, "You got jokes? Yeah, is that how you deal with these situations? Because that will get annoying real fast." She shrugs and takes a step back away from the group as everyone starts getting nearer to her. "If you want to follow me in there, fine, I won't stop you, she says. "But I would be stupid to turn away help." she adds. Eying Sylvan "Look buddy, I have dealt with a ton of crap to get here. I'm not expecting a leisurely stroll through the meadow, if that's what you are asking. I am aware of the danger, but I am also aware of my abilities and talents. They have gotten me this far, I don't plan on dying today."

With a flick of her cloak, she makes her way to the entrance. "Let's get going then. The rats are getting hungry."

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow

What could possibly be so valuable about a cave full of kobolds and rats?

I guess at least she will take the brunt of any newly constructed traps in there.

Bird follows the party in his usual order.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by Alethan »

Ciar waits to see which entrance the elf maiden uses before saying anything or moving to follow.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

Ciar and the rest watch as the elf enters the northern tunnel, and the low tunnel ceilings fail to present a challenge to the group's brave new leader who barely stands over 4-feet tall herself.
TripTwo.png
TripTwo.png (5.05 KiB) Viewed 1303 times

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

Once the elven maiden reaches the southeast bend in the passage, she motions for someone in the group to lead, "Since you all seem to know your way around here already, far be it from me to insist on leading this crusade."

While waiting for someone to pass her, she adds "For what it's worth, I am sorry you lost a man in here. I know this cave to be dangerous and not for the faint of heart, but no one should be lost in here."

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”