Six Steps from the Gutter II

AleBelly
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Six Steps from the Gutter II

#21 Post by VonAlric »

Bramren watches the Half-Orc for a moment as he speaks about his pals and begins to walk slowly to a table. He turns back towards the bar as he considers the new information. He went out and killed orcs? And is proud to announce that to Guffy here? His brow crumples with thought. Thurdal's beard, the world has changed a bit since I last paid attention to it. Is this what he wants?....

The Gnome's voice jolts him back to the bar and to the realization that he is still tense from the previous surprise. Drawing a deep breath, he tries to relax a spot. As the bright faced lass sits next Bramren, he lets a hint of a grin cross his lips when responding. "Well met, fair lass. This day started off... interesting. It continues to surprise, shock one even. I'm becoming aware that my knowledge of this land is not what it once was."

"And how about you? Your face and clothes say different things."
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny looks briefly startled at the dwarf's response, perhaps not expecting insightfulness or perhaps not remembering what she looks like. "Ahh, yes. I did not take time to change after the day's lessons. I forget that I'm in the city where people notice these things. I have had a wonderful day, touched by the light of Veles. And, I was not in the company of anybody that was trying to kill me, other than the snakes, and they didn't know any better. Guffy, put this man's next drink on my tab. Assuming that doesn't offend, master dwarf?" Yenny pulls a few stray twigs from her hair and rearranges her cloak a bit.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion eventually wonders into the establishment, realizing her social calendar isnt able to be filled on such short notice.
She follows her fellow adventurers to the bar and requests a pomegranate mimosa.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by VonAlric »

"What are they teaching gnomes these days? The way to offend a dwarf is to make him pay double for a drink." A quick wink and smile eases the look on Bramren's face. "My thanks for the drink."

While waiting on his next round, Bramren hears another patron approach the bar and ask for a drink. He takes a quick glance and pauses, thoughts beginning to race. Another half-orc? Are they really that prominent now? He leans over to speak to the gnome in a lowered voice. "I need to ask you something. Are there a lot of half-orcs these days or just a greater number of them show up here?"
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by enn.in.me »

"Well, this is where the most and least fashionable of half-orc society come. I'm not sure where all the ones in between go. Good afternoon Dandelion; you look ravishing, as always.
I'd introduce you to my new friend, but I haven't gotten his name yet. He is from Clan Char Beard, I believe."

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by VonAlric »

"Well, it should only be fitting that I know the name of the person buying me a drink as well. I am Bramren Honorjaw. Who am I sharing a drink with?"

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by enn.in.me »

« Bramwen Honorjaw, huh. Pleased to meet you. Yenny’s my name. This is Dandelion. »

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by tkrexx »

I'm Hyde! Booms the voice from the corner, again finding his enormous, hideous smile, "Heartless" they call me, but it's not true, no. Yenny and Dandelion, they be of my tribe, yeahh. He's beginning to think he might not get killed today after all. Ya look like ya got some fight in ya, hah? His grin just as suddenly disappears and his eyes go wide. Not that I want to find out, or nuthin', no.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion curtsies and gives empty flattery as she mentally critiques the stranger's lack of fashion.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Zhym »

A few days after his return to town—and quick departure from town—Angus shows up at the Six Steps and joins everyone else gathered there. He greets Bramwen Honorjaw with a smile and a nod and introduces himself.

"So. Y'all got any notion what the good folk what run things will be wanting next?" he asks those assembled.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by enn.in.me »

"It'd be hard to guess with that crew. I don't know if they're still interested in getting the orc lair cleaned out--kind of surprised we weren't asked to head back there immediately. Not that I mind a few days of good rest and cleanliness."

I think this conversation is before the one we just had that happens in a few days. I thought about giving Yenny precognitive powers...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Zhym »

What other conversation — you mean the one with the Protectors of the Crown? Angus isn't privy to that conversation. Side effect from being an independent sumbitch.

And, yeah, I guess we should figure out whether that conversation has happened yet, because it sort of affects this conversation.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by AleBelly »

Let’s play loose with time. So, anything that happened on one place can assume to have happened everywhere. Too complicated to keep track of it all.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by VonAlric »

"Yenni is it? Well met, fair lady." Bramren looks over to the half-orc and does a decent attempt to sound pleasant. "Well met, Dandelion." A small twinge creeps into his arm as the loud voice washed over him. He turns towards the corner and raises his mug. "The only time a dwarf doesn't have fight in him is when he is dead and taking his comfort at the Great Hall of Marrin. And, no. I am not here to fight. That is not the task that was set upon me."

[I personally would think that this conversation is happening after anything in the hall with the Protectors.]
Last edited by VonAlric on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion discusses their recent adventures and recalls how the mage is no longer held.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by enn.in.me »

"That cat's sprinted out of its bag! Yes, Angus, apparently the mage answered all the questions and then teleported away. They don't seem to be sure if he was still under compulsion of our friend Trona, and if even if he isn't, what his own goals in all this are. Due to some mysticism that I don't quite understand, we are in the midst of talking about what the crown would like us to do next as I sit here talking with you.
Perhaps the wine has something funny in it. But perhaps...Bamren, you too are working for the city or the crown, and have some project or other?
If it overlaps, I could bring that up in my other conversation as we discuss our plans."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Zhym »

Angus rolls his eyes and sighs. "Of course he did," he says. "Y'all signed up to take orders from morons what can't tell asses from mules. I just hope whatever information he had was worth all the people he's going to kill."

"Speaking of which—we still ain't killing orcs by sitting here gabbing. When do you reckon we can get back to what we were aiming to do in the first place?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion looks a bit confused by the desire to leave civilization so soon.

Well, I have a couple of Zuma classes scheduled, and an inversion massage tomorrow morning that is supposed to help with posture. And to be truthful, I am sure there will be a dinner at the least, and maybe even a ball to attend before heading out. Where are you wanting to go, anyway? There's some uncouth ogres menacing a sector that may be a more favorable challenge for us than disappearing wizards.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by enn.in.me »

"Jobin told us many things when we spoke. He says that Trona slays men with naught but his voice and has subjugated entire villages in the west. Worse, I must add, he is emptying the graveyards of the towns, compelling the dead to walk again. Apparently, Renard estimates the edge of his territory is but a week's march from here. This may make you happy Angus, he says that wiping out the filth underneath Strod is our highest priority. I'm not sure if this because of that, or that there is apparently a tome of great value hidden away. Something about making golems perhaps.

He also added, and I quote, 'And though it is too dangerous to scout too far ahead, that does not mean we can't look for allies. Our patrolmen have seen signs of a small band of elves, likely a few miles northwest of the lair Tempus, Zo, and Lucas liquidated. There's a chance the elves could be friendly. This is a mere diplomatic mission...probably best to exclude half-orcs and dwarves from a first meeting. But it is not without danger, being over a day's journey away.'

So, Angus, Hyde, Breman, if you're interested, I believe there are orcs to kill. Dandelion, Jobin said that Renard said that you were particularly attractive in combat. I do hope you will join us so that we may see the dance of death that you do so well! I do not feel comfortable permitting the dead to continue to walk above ground. Veles would surely likely to welcome them back to his arms. But if we can cleanse Strod's underbelly quickly, perhaps we can then bring succor to tortured souls that have been dragged out to fight for Trona."

After so many words with barely a breath, Yenny stops and drains her glass in one long pull. "I must give word to the church about the disturbance to the dead. Sunrise at the gate?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by tkrexx »

He turns towards the corner and raises his mug. "The only time a dwarf doesn't have fight in him is when he is dead and taking his comfort at the Great Hall of Marrin. And, no. I am not here to fight. That is not the task that was set upon me."
Hyde grins and raises his teacup in response as gracious as he is able, then joins in the conversation at hand. Ya shoulda let me execute the heathen, hah? I bet he told lies when he asna'd any polite questions. If I was amongst them askin' I bet he'da told the truth if I rapped him onna head once or twice. And that one, he be gonna kill again, yeahh. This be on us. I think maybe he run back to his hideout, grabbed all his goodies and runnofft, that be what I think. Them Ogres, they be bad things, yeahh, real bad things, but we ain't yet finished our work at Orc Town. Them Orcs, they be just getting stronga every day we don't kill 'em. They likely don't have much in the way of coin, but I don't wanna see any more kids born like me, no.
Our patrolmen have seen signs of a small band of elves, likely a few miles northwest of the lair Tempus, Zo, and Lucas liquidated. There's a chance the elves could be friendly. This is a mere diplomatic mission...probably best to exclude half-orcs and dwarves from a first meeting.

Elfs don't like me much, no. I think maybe you be right, Yenny, maybe this ain't the best place for me.

Dandelion, Jobin said that Renard said that you were particularly attractive in combat. I do hope you will join us so that we may see the dance of death that you do so well!
Again the shaggy Half-Orc grins and nods ridiculously to Bramren. It's true, yeahh, she makes killin' a fanciful thing! Somethin' to see.

Meantime, I orda'd suppa! I ain't ate any pig for a while, got me a hankerin'. Those familiar with Hyde's table manners may not look forward to the meal. He pauses in thought for a moment, then asks, What's a "Golem" be, hah?
Last edited by tkrexx on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”