Burning Glaiz

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

Burning Glaiz

#1 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

Name: Glaiz Goldenhook

Concept/Bio: Glaiz was born into an incredibly poor family; striving to do better, she desired to start a family with her husband. However, seeming unable to have children, she grew mad in her desire to please her husband and be a good wife, and stole the child of a fellow villager. The child then died of a sudden illness, and Glaiz knew she couldn't return to her family until she had cleared her name.\

Lifepaths: Born Clansman, Herder, Wife, Lead to Dwarven Outcast, Oathbreaker

Stats: Wi: B7, Pe: B4, Po: B2, Fo: B5, Ag: B4, Sp: B6, Stride: 6

Attributes: Ref: B4, Ste: B5, Hes: 3, Hea: B6, MW: B10, Greed: B5, Circles: B3, Resources: B0

PTGS: Su: B3 Li: B6 Mi: B7 Se: B8 Tr: B9 Mo: B10

Beliefs:

It is the duty of every woman to bring a child into this world, and thus I will

If I do no better than my parents, I have failed.

A clean reputation is of the utmost importance.

Instincts:

My word is my bond: I will always fulfill a promise.

I will never let someone weaker go unprotected.

Traits: [Dt] Accustomed to the Dark, [Char] Bearded, [C-O] Booming Voice, [C-O] Disputesettler, [Dt] Greed, [Char] Matriarchal, [Char] Merciful, [Char] Oathbreaker, [Dt] Oathsworn, [Char] Psychotic, [Dt] Shaped from Earth and Stone, [Char] Silent Hatred, [Dt] Stout, [Dt] Tough

Skills: Animal Husbandry B3, Baking B2, Child Rearing B3, Clan Wise B2, Family-wise B6, Haggling B4, Midwifery B2, Soothing Platitudes B6, Ugly Truth B2

42 resource points

Affiliations:

Reputations:

Relationships:

Gear:

Property:

Spells:

Weapons:

Greed: 1. power 2. physical beauty 3. craftsmanship 4. riches
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
-Carl Sagan

Glaiz Goldenhook, The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

Re: Burning Glaiz

#2 Post by Spectreman17 »

So, let's work on your beliefs, Instincts, and resources.

Beliefs need to be more of a statement of action, check out the thread the Elf, Drumrin, and my character (undercompleted sheets) for ideas on how they should look. ideally they should be acheivable objectives that build towards an over arching concept like clearing your name.

and you need a 4th belief that attaches to your oathbreaker trait. either your broken oath that you need to remedy or steps towards that

Instincts seem fine, you just need a 3rd

resources I suck at, so paging Marullus

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Take a look at our earlier conversation about Oathbreakers. viewtopic.php?f=289&t=4885&start=20#p215598

It applies in this case only if you 1) made a formal promise to keep the child from harm, and 2) are percieved as breaking that promise by intention or negligence. It would be a wierd promise to make, so we need to flesh that out.

You have three relationships to expound on from your story (and likely buy with resource points). So, expound on these, too.

* Who did your make a formal promise to about the child? What was the specific promise? What are you attempting to make it up to them (which becomes our fourth belief?)

* Who in your family is disapproving, and who's acceptance you are seeking?

* tell us about your husband? He is key to your dreams of babies, right?

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

#4 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

I forgot to mention that while she was putzing around and living in Erebor, she worked as a nanny of sorts and would care for other, busier dwarves' children. She was aware of this child's illness whilst working, but in her psychotic break wherein she stole the kid, she forgot about the medication and he died. So, I suppose the broken oath would be to the child's mother, to whom she promised the care of her child (even though, you know, she kidnapped him).

Her husband's name is Lann. He is surprisingly tall (for a dwarf) and stands at a whopping 4'7. He had deep, black hair which easily hides the grime. His beard hangs thick and frizzy: he's not a man of physical narcissism. Due to this lifelong commitment to mining, he is also fairly well-built; thus, he is popular with the dwarven ladies. Glaiz met him while she was picking up bread at a nearby marketplace, as he was heading to the bar after a long day's work. After catching each others' eye and striking up a conversation about their mutual distaste for those "pointy-eared treefolk", they were soon a pair. Lann is incredibly loyal to Glaiz and shared in her desire to start a family. He is disappointed when she is unable to bear children; however, this is by no means a dealbreaker. Glaiz, on the other hand, feels immense pressure to please him because he was so heavily sought after by other dwarves. She feels like a failure because she has disappointed him. The only true time Lann was ever disappointed in Glaiz was during her psychotic episode where she kidnapped the child, simply because she was no longer the dwarf with whom he had fallen in love.

She is seeking redemption, not only from her husband, but from her town. She was outcast due to her actions which led to the unintentional death of the child. While she was living on the outskirts of Erebor, alone, she witnessed Smaug's entrance and figured that by getting her keep back, she will have saved many lives to make up for the loss of one.
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
-Carl Sagan

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

Good brainstorming! That is some great material to work with! Some of it we can even make true. ;) There a few ways that we add things as fact to the game - mostly, Beliefs and Wises. Burning Wheel encourages us to determine things in-play beyond them. So, we'll use the brainstorming above to come up with some very rich and flavorful beliefs. We make major facts true by including them in our beliefs, stating them in play if they don't have any repercussion, or by rolling Wises at the table if there is weight/consequence resulting from the fact.

Below, I'll pull facts from your narrative and try to help you hone your beliefs to them.

First, the oathbreaker details.

You promised a mother (in a formal, contractual way in front of a clan Graybeard) that you'd care for her child. We need the mother's name, and what caste she is from (Noble, Artificer, Guilder, Clansmen).

You will need to buy a relationship with the woman. You gain an infamous reputation (-1D) with her entire social caste. Your 4th belief (reserved for oaths) must always be about the baby's mother until she holds you forgiven.

Facts we want to be true: You kidnapped the baby you swore to keep from harm, and the baby died as a result of your actions (or is publically believed to have done so).

Belief: I swear to repay (NPC Mother's Name) for my dereliction. [Add action you intend to do because you think it will make it better.]

Also, we buy a relationship with her:
3 pt - Mother of the baby, [Name, caste]. (5pts -2 hostile)

Second, the belief that led to your psychotic break.
Such a significant life-event surely is in your top three things in her life.

Facts we want to be true: She is desparate enough to raise a child that she was willing to go to any length for it. She still has some lingering belief to this effect.

Belief: I am a great mother and I just need a chance to prove it. [Add action you intend to do because it will show everyone you are a great parent.]

Third, your belief about your husband.
I read in your notes above that: She feels unworthy and desires to please him. She has broken his trust and disappointed him. He no longer sees her as the person whom he fell in love with, because of the psychotic break. Great stuff for a belief. (The statements you made about his thoughts and feelings are consequential, so will need to be further sorted through play as you explore this belief.)

Belief: I will prove myself to Lann, restoring his trust and his love. [Add action you intend to do because you think it will make it better.]

Also, we buy a relationship with him:
1 pt - Lann the Husband Delver. (5pts -2 immediate family -2 love)

Fourth, a belief about the present situation.
You said: "She is seeking redemption, not only from her husband, but from her town. She was outcast due to her actions which led to the unintentional death of the child. While she was living on the outskirts of Erebor, alone, she witnessed Smaug's entrance and figured that by getting her keep back, she will have saved many lives to make up for the loss of one."

That's great stuff. So, there is a belief that restoring their home will secure the favor of her people.

Belief: I will save lives from Smaug to atone for the one I cost. I will offer my own life to the cause of whomever moves against Smaug.

Thoughts? This character is very motivated - add clear goal statements to each belief and you are in a good place. We'll then look over the rest of your sheet. If you want to tweak or change any of the beliefs, please do - this was to get you the idea.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

That is a hard-luck-character!

Kidnapping a child and allowing it to die... I don't believe any mother would ever forgive that. If there is a belief associated with trying to convince the mother that she was not negligent, then perhaps Glaiz is still in the midst of the psychotic breakdown... :(

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

Very hard-luck indeed. If she wants to soften it slightly, kidnapping the child would be enough to break the oath, even if she later returned it. This gives some added grist in that the child in question is still in-play, too... the one she wanted to raise, being raised by someone else, and to love and/or resent her.

Either way, (by virtue of the Oathbreaker trait) it is something that will never leave her. She has a 4th belief slot reserved for Oaths, and can swear no other oaths until she is forgiven and makes it whole. That other mother will be a focus of her existence forever if the act was unforgivable.

This group has an amazing array of dishonored misfits. :)

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

#8 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

She is very hard-luck - and I like it that way. :lol: I have a few ideas that I'll post as soon as I get back from class.

Marullus: thank you so much for the input! Can't wait to play!
-Carl Sagan

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

You're welcome!

Once you look over your beliefs and add your actions, that part looks good. We need to know about the child's mother, including her caste, for sure.

Quick look at the rest of the sheet: Stat cap is 6, so the Willpower B7 needs to come down one. We'll need to work on Instincts. "Never break a promise" is covered by the Oathsworn trait already for all dwarves, so not really usable as an instinct. "I will never let someone weaker go unprotected" should work. For greed, you need to choose which of the four she is NOT affected by. You only need 3 of 4.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

Concept/Bio: Glaiz was born into an incredibly poor family; striving to do better, she desired to start a family with her husband. However, seeming unable to have children, she grew mad in her desire to please her husband and be a good wife, and stole the child of a fellow villager. The child then died of a sudden illness, and Glaiz knew she couldn't return to her family until she had cleared her name.

Stats: Wi: B6, Pe: B5, Po: B2, Fo: B5, Ag: B4, Sp: B6, Stride: 6

Attributes: Ref: B4, Ste: B5, Hes: 4, Hea: B6, MW: B10, Greed: B5, Circles: B3, Resources: B0

Beliefs:

Belief: I will save lives from Smaug to atone for the one I cost. I will offer my own life to the cause of whomever moves against Smaug.

Belief: I will prove myself to Lann, restoring his trust and his love. [Add action you intend to do because you think it will make it better.]

Belief: I am a great mother and I just need a chance to prove it. [Add action you intend to do because it will show everyone you are a great parent.]

Oath Belief: I swear to repay (NPC Mother's Name) for my dereliction. [Add action you intend to do because you think it will make it better.]

Instincts:

I will never let someone weaker go unprotected.

(Add one.)

(Add one.)

Traits: [Dt] Accustomed to the Dark, [Char] Bearded, [C-O] Booming Voice, [C-O] Disputesettler, [Dt] Greed, [Char] Matriarchal, [Char] Merciful, [Char] Oathbreaker, [Dt] Oathsworn, [Char] Psychotic, [Dt] Shaped from Earth and Stone, [Char] Silent Hatred, [Dt] Stout, [Dt] Tough

Skills: Animal Husbandry B3, Baking B2, Child Rearing B3, Clan Wise B2, Family-wise B6, Haggling B4, Midwifery B2, Soothing Platitudes B6, Ugly Truth B2

42 resource points, pick options below.

Affiliations:
Where did she find friends after being outcast for the baby incident? It has been a number of years. 1D Affiliation, 10pts.

When she stole the baby, what group did she hope to go to to live and hide with it? These also might be an affiliation. 1D Affiliation, 10pts.

Reputations:
-1D Infamous Reputation with (pick a caste) dwarves (given by Oathbreaker trait)

Relationships:

3 pt - Mother of the baby, [Name, caste]. (5pts -2 hostile)

Gear:
3pts - Clothes, Traveling Gear, Sturdy Shoes.
10pts - Her prized baking pans (+1D Baking)
5pts - does she have a weapon for protection?
8pts - perhaps she has a pony instead of a cottage, if she was homeless at the end?

Property:
10pts - Herders Cottage, lost to Smaug (Define 1D Cash - precious items grabbed when fleeing)

Spells: N/A

Weapons:

Greed: 1. power 2. physical beauty 3. craftsmanship 4. riches. Drop one of the four.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

Happy Monday! *bump* How do things look for you?

If we can wrap up characters this week, then we can move to the first Chapter next week. :)

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

#12 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

All done! :mrgreen:

Concept/Bio: Glaiz was born into an incredibly poor family; striving to do better, she desired to start a family with her husband. However, seeming unable to have children, she grew mad in her desire to please her husband and be a good wife, and stole the child of a fellow villager. The child then died of a sudden illness, and Glaiz knew she couldn't return to her family until she had cleared her name.

Attributes: Ref: B4, Ste: B5, Hes: 4, Hea: B6, MW: B10, Greed: B5, Circles: B3, Resources: B0

Beliefs:

Belief: I will prove myself to Lann, restoring his trust and his love. To do so, I must first find him and confirm that he is still alive.

Belief: I am a great mother and I just need a chance to prove it. I will protect my friends like I would a child.

Oath Belief: I swear to repay Hidratha for my dereliction. I will reunite her with her child by finding a wizard capable of bringing Ginny back to life.

Instincts:

I will never let anyone weaker go unprotected.

Food is the best way to bring people together, so there's always a meal around when something important is to be discussed.

I always carry a lock of Ginny's hair to remind myself of my transgressions.

Affiliations:
Urchins and Beggars of Dale 10 pts.

Reputations:
Infamous with guilder dwarves

Relationships:

3 pt - Mother of the baby, Hidratha, guilder. (5pts -2 hostile)

Gear:
Clothes 1 pt.
Shoes (sturdy) 1 pt.
Traveling gear 1 pt.
Her prized baking pans (+1D Baking) 10 pts.
Small decorative dagger (doesn't do much, as it was just a shiny object in her old home) 5 pts.
A cute 'lil pony named Goldie 8 pts.

Property: none

Greed: 1. power 2. physical beauty 3. craftsmanship
-Carl Sagan

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

Belief: I am a great mother and I just need a chance to prove it. I will protect my friends like I would a child.

Belief: I will prove myself to Lann, restoring his trust and his love. To do so, I must first find him and confirm that he is still alive.
Approved. Lann is Born Guilder, a cousin to Drumrin, and a Nephew to Trombley. I will also suggest that the Blacksmith PC join that kin network, which also makes him related to Lann.
Oath Belief: I swear to repay Hidratha for my dereliction. I will reunite her with her child by finding a wizard capable of bringing Ginny back to life.
Flavorful choice!

Add Fear-of-Mirkwood-Wise B2 to your skills. Wizards are rare, but you've heard of the Necromancer who lives in the south of Mirkwood on the Hill of Sorcery, though most whisper his name. This would certainly be supposed to be within the power of one so-named. How you seek to find him (or if you seek another) is up to you in-play. If you want to narrow the goal for a specific attempt, that's fine, otherwise I'll take it from here.
Good.
Food is the best way to bring people together, so there's always a meal around when something important is to be discussed.
This has to be tweaked to be oriented to your actions. How about:

"I will always prepare food when something important is to be discussed."
This is very flavorful. I'm not sure how it will impact play, though, at first glance. Is it hung conspicuously on a locket, that it might impact interactions with Hidratha and Lann? Will the reminder of your transgressions cause enough guilt to be an obstacle to your actions?

I want to be clear on how you see me calling on this for you. Spectreman and Enoch - can you weigh in with suggestions?
Add to your equipment:

Weapons:
Decorative Dagger: Power 1, Add 1, WS X, VA -, Shortest, One-handed
Frying Pan: Power 2, Add 2, WS 1, VA -, Shortest, One-handed

You have 2 points left over, by my count. Consider adding a member of your extended family who loves you truly despite your shortcomings. Glaiz should have at least one friendly face and confidant to turn to in your scenes.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by Spectreman17 »

Marullus wrote:
pointyearedrogue wrote:I always carry a lock of Ginny's hair to remind myself of my transgressions.
This is very flavorful. I'm not sure how it will impact play, though, at first glance. Is it hung conspicuously on a locket, that it might impact interactions with Hidratha and Lann? Will the reminder of your transgressions cause enough guilt to be an obstacle to your actions?

I want to be clear on how you see me calling on this for you. Spectreman and Enoch - can you weigh in with suggestions?
Pointyearedrogue: The reason this is important is because you earn Persona/Fate/Deed points whenever your instincts get you into trouble. i.e. Hidratha sees the locket and gets super sad/angry, thus making your interaction with her harder. If it's something you just have on you, there a few opportunities for Marullus to get you into trouble and give you bonus points.

It all depends on what form this lock of Ginny's hair takes. A locket or strand of it tied around your neck would make for a great way to work with it. Or if you had a nervous habit to take it out and smell it (or some other weird thing) whenever you were stressed. That could be awkward for a conversation with Hidratha as well.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

Right. I can have it impact others (upsetting them and making things difficult for you when they see you with it), or it can impact yourself (the reminder to your conscience making it hard for you to do X).

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

#16 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

Alrighty, I believe this is final now!

Beliefs:

Instincts:

I will always prepare food when there is something important to be discussed.

[will be taken out when discouraged in order to keep motivated, or when stressed]

Skills: Animal Husbandry B3, Baking B2, Child Rearing B3, Clan Wise B2, Family-wise B6, Haggling B4, Midwifery B2, Soothing Platitudes B6, Ugly Truth B2 Fear-of-Mirkwood-Wise B2

Affiliations:
Urchins and Beggars of Dale 10 pts.

Reputations:
Infamous with guilder dwarves

Relationships:

3 pt - Mother of the baby, Hidratha, guilder. (5pts -2 hostile)

2 pt - Glaiz's aunt, Melgiel, guilder. Hateful because she would have disappointed her late mother, Melgiel's sister, with her actions. (5pts -2 hostile)

Gear:
Clothes 1 pt.
Shoes (sturdy) 1 pt.
Traveling gear 1 pt.
Decorative Dagger: Power 1, Add 1, WS X, VA -, Shortest, One-handed
Frying Pan: Power 2, Add 2, WS 1, VA -, Shortest, One-handed
A cute 'lil pony named Goldie 8 pts.

Property: none

Greed: 1. power 2. physical beauty 3. craftsmanship
-Carl Sagan

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

Looks great! No more changes are required to enter play. :) Go ahead and post it in the final sheets thread.

One thing for further thought: now that you've fully-developed her concept and beliefs, I'm looking back at your traits. You picked Matriarchal, Merciful, and Psychotic, which are all clear. You also picked "Silent Hatred" too, which seems a bit incongruous to me. I could see "Resentful" or "Self-loathing" from what you have, but Hatred, to me, requires a clear external object. I'd expect to see a Belief about what she silently hates, or some other target specified. If you want to switch it to Resentful, that's fine. If you want to keep it as the stronger Silent Hatred, that is fine, too... I'll just look for it in your roleplay as game progresses.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

I'm going back and checking the Greed of folks. Please step through this post and tell me what you think: viewtopic.php?f=289&t=4891#p220631

You currently listed as B5 Greed.

I am interpreting her episode with the baby as greed-induced. The infant was an object of physical beauty - it triggered a Steel test and you opted for a "I Must Have It!" result. It is therefore an object you coveted that belonged to another and stole.
+ 1 Greed if the Dwarf has coveted something owned by another.
Has the Dwarf ever stolen something he coveted? If so, + 1 Greed.
So, that gets from the base B3 to B5.

You now have more relationships:
Relationships: Each romantic relationship is -1 Greed. Each hateful relationship is + 1 Greed. A hateful immediate family member is +2 Greed.
Hidratha hates you, that is +1.
Melgiel hates you, that is +1.

So, we're at B7.

The baby died... was that "stolen" from you? That could be B8. (Or did someone's act cause her to lose her natural children?)
Has the Dwarf ever had his prized treasure stolen from him? + 1 Greed. (Besides Smaug)
If she stays Black Shade, her greed remains a central part of her struggle and she it is possible for her to perform truly exceptional feats when overcome by the desire to obtain what she covets (i.e. a baby, home, security, etc.) If she made headway in suppressing it during her exile among the paupers of Dale, she can shade-shift to Gray. It no longer controls her as much, but it is more potent when it does.

You always can use your Psychosis trait in combination with this. If you (as a player) WANT to fail a greed check in a situation because it triggers her instability, you could agree to fail (use the trait against you), earn a Fate point, and the roleplay through the result.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

Melgiel -
She is identified as your Aunt (mother's sister).

Niping posted with her as Lann's mother. (For incest reasons, she is not both)

Would you be okay with making that switch? Having her as a displeased mother-in-law is pretty flavorful and keeps the story Lann-focused. Your call, though. What story did you foresee for her as an Aunt?

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

#20 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

Marullus wrote: Would you be okay with making that switch? Having her as a displeased mother-in-law is pretty flavorful and keeps the story Lann-focused. Your call, though. What story did you foresee for her as an Aunt?
That's fine with me!
-Carl Sagan

Return to “2015 Archive”