OOC

#1 Post by max_vale »

Out of character conversation….

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC

#2 Post by kipper »

So I assume the Piloting skill would be of at least moderate importance to all characters?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by max_vale »

Yes.....and I forgot to mention; ALL characters will be getting a free +1D in Piloting, Gunnery and Ordinance AFTER character creation; so keep that in mind. (Which means a character's initial rating in these three skills can be as high as +3D above attribute as opposed to +2D per creation rules)

Unless somebody out there just really DOES NOT want to play a pilot for whatever reason.

-Max

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by kipper »

Actually, I just saw that you did mention about about Pilots earlier :D, somehow I missed that the posts on the recruitment thread went into a second page!

Anyway, I'm working on coming up with a character concept, I have not had any inspiration hit me yet so I'm still not too sure what I want to go with yet.

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by kipper »

Murdoch
Flies like a madman. Considered more than a little bit crazy. Was a pilot for the Nation of Hollywood in their recent struggle with Pacifica, but after seeing much war action he crashed his plane and was institutionalised and grounded afterwards. He escaped, and is now on the run. Murdoch joined the Pirates because they let him fly.

DEX: 3D

KNOW: 3D
-Languages: 5D
-Technology: 4D

MECH: 4D
-Piloting: 7D (includes +1D bonus)
-Gunnery: 5D (includes +1D bonus)
-Ordinance: 5D (includes +1D bonus)
-Zeppelin Operation: 5D

PER: 4D
-Con: 5D

STR: 2D

TECH: 2D
Last edited by kipper on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

My Process
I am no history buff, but with an urge to play a Spaniard I did a little reading. I find myself intrigued by the history of the time. Spain had just finished its own civil war prior to WWII, with the right-leaning Franco regime taking control. The left-leaning fighters had fled the country - many to France, many to join different armies to fight the Axis or the Franco regime. So that gives us:
Che Carlito Curador, former medic of the Spanish Maquis turned air pirate.
Che came from a life of privilege and went to school to become a doctor. His ideals and parents' social standing set him against the Franco uprising. He enlisted as a medic in the old regime's army. He was one of many that fled to France prior to WWII. He is now without a homeland, but dedicated to patching up his comrades so they can undermine any fascists regime out there.

Attributes and Skills
DEX: 3D
- Dodge 4D

KNO: 4D
- Languages 4D+2
- Medicine 6D
- Academics 4D+1

MECH: 2D
- Animal Handling/Riding 3D
- Navigation 3D+1
- Piloting 3D (includes free 1D)
- Gunnery 3D (includes free 1D)
- Ordinance 3D (includes free 1D)

PER: 3D+2
- Search 3D+3

STR: 3D
- Running 3D+1

TECH: 2D+1

Let me know if that is right and I will post it up to the character thread. Also, do we get any gear?
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by kipper »

I've added a little background to my character. However, I'd like some input (either Max or any of the players) as to what nation/army he used to fly for? Are there any more recent conflicts other than WWI?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by max_vale »

Hey there peoples!

I've only got a few minutes; but these character concepts look great! I'm liking Jean-Claude (Urson's character concept he PM'd me); 'Doc Curador' and 'Mad Murdoch'….the last reminds me of a certain helo-pilot from the A-team tv show I watched as a kid! (Captain H.M. 'Howling Mad' Murdock)

As for conflicts; the disunited states (and all over the world for that matter) have had frequent air-clashes over the course of the last 15 years (1922…when the states break up to 1937; the current year of the game); which include clashes between the Nation of Hollywood (Cali and Nevada) and Pacifica (Oregon, Washington and Vancouver Canada)….The Republic of Texas and Mexico…..The Republic of Texas and Louisiana….The People's Collective (Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, the Daokotas, Wyoming, Montana) and the Industrial States of America (Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, Minnesota); EVERYONE and the many pirates of the Colorado Free State; etc. (more on all of these nations later)

Internationally; there is the Spanish Civil War (which is very much still on-going; it just started 'last year'; 1936; in game….in reality; the Spanish Civil War ran from 1936-1939. The afore mentioned World War I (which at this point in time would be referred to as 'The Great War' or 'The World War') which ended in this alternate reality in 1919; the on-going Russian Civil War between the 'Whites' (mostly in Siberia and Alaska now) and the 'Reds' (most of what we think of as 'Russia')….which started in 1918 and is still going on almost 20 years later…..the 'Chaco War' in South America fought between Bolivia and Paraguay (1932-1935); numerous fights between the Communist and Nationalist forces of China…not to mention various Chinese War-lords and Imperialistic Japanese forces; Australia is in the midst of a civil war between 2 factions; Italy has invaded Ethiopia; and there are any number of various other conflicts out there as well…..

Hopefully this helps some….more later tonight and/or tomorrow!

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by kipper »

max_vale wrote:... 'Mad Murdoch'….the last reminds me of a certain helo-pilot from the A-team tv show I watched as a kid! (Captain H.M. 'Howling Mad' Murdock)
What are you talking about? My character is completely different! Just look, his name is spelled with an “h”! An “h”, I tell you!! “H”!!!!!!

Oh, and on a COMPLETELY UNRELATED note, I decided which country he’s from: the Nation of Hollywood :D. Perfect.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by max_vale »

kipper: Nice! Perhaps I'll have the mechanic of the group's Zeppelin be named A.B. Carracus….:)

Everyone: Sorry for the delay in getting the game underway; I'm hoping to use this week to get a lot of background info and what not on the boards and hopefully have the game start towards the end of the week/weekend.

Just so everyone knows: the basic idea is that the PCs will be the pirate/mercenary pilots whose planes are carried in a Zeppelin (I'll NPC the crew)….and after a recent job with a clash against some rival pirates/air militia/etc.; the pirate band is resting up in San Francisco (in the Nation of Hollywood); when a mysterious stranger happens by and….I don't want to give away the plot; but how's that for a start? :)

Everybody doing okay? Thanks for your patience!

-Max

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by kipper »

Waiting patiently, no rush!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I am sort of keen on the dust devil: http://crimsonskies.wikia.com/wiki/Hugh ... test_1.jpg

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by max_vale »

Hey Rusty; sorry I missed your last post here…..I sent you a PM about some possible plane types for your character but if your heart is one the Dust Devil; that's cool too.

Everyone: Okay, I'm throwing up and will continue throwing up more Game-related stuff all weekend, including the first Game Post at some point. It looks like it's going to just be 3 players; Rusty, kipper and Urson as I haven't heard back from Davethelost or rredmond.

I have created posts for the characters and kipper: I believe you still have 1D to spend on character skills while Rusty, I think you have 1D+1 (4 pips) to spend on skills. Feel free to put the points where you like and if anyone has any questions; don't hesitate to ask.

-Max

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I am counting that I used 6 skill points, so I have 1 die/3 pips to go. Thanks for double checking.

I never received a PM from you about plane types. Can you resend it, please?

I was also wondering about gear/trappings. What else do we get to take?

Edit: 1. Why would a band of pirates keep that name for the zeppelin? Lets rename it!
2. One of our missions will have to be breaking into an airfield somehow and stealing planes...
3. How does my languages skill work? How do I know what I am fluent in? Spanish definitely since it is his native tongue...

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by max_vale »

Hey Rusty: yeah, I got your character and kipper's mixed up; you have 1D to spend on skills while he has 1D+1; sorry about that! Also; somehow it seems the PMs I tried to send you and Urson never went thru….hmmm…..I'll have to send a test message in a bit to see if everything is still working. In the meantime; I'll stat out the 'Dust Devil' for you.

As for gear; I'll be putting up some info on personal weapons with game stats today/tomorrow; but almost any kind of reasonable gear you can be pretty much assumed to have. (I.e. a Doctor's bag; a sidearm; a thick leather jacket and helmet w/goggles for flying; etc. are all fine….a very expensive Rolls Royce….not so much. :) ) For a character with your background; a reasonable sidearm might be a Star B (basically a Colt 1911 re-tooled to fire 9mm Parrabellum bullet) which was made in Spain; or perhaps an Astra 400 'water pistol' (also made in Spain); although you may want to choose one that has been chambered for .32 or 9mm short (.380) rounds as opposed to the default 9mm Largo as this ammo is tough to find outside of spain. Just a few thoughts….

As for your points at the end:

1. The Zeppelin was re-named the 'Stormcloud' as it was originally the 'Spirit of Unity'; which can be read in the picture…(original post edited to reflect this)

2. While there certainly can be raids for planes; there is currently room for up to 6 more planes onboard the Zeppelin; some pilots would have to be found for them…or the pilots could have 'spare' planes and/or trade their current mounts for new rides.

3. Most skills in this game are very broad; so the Languages skill is basically used when trying to communicate with anyone who has a language you don't understand. The difficulty rises depending upon what is attempting to be spoken and/or understood….basically, it's easy to tell someone "Get down, you're in danger!"; and quite hard to say something like; "So, what do you think of Professor Tesla's work on Electro-magnetism in regards to being effectively employed as a weapon?". You character is obviously fluent in Spanish and it's your call if you want him to be fully fluent in English; or still learning……in which case; there could be times when rolls are called for you when you and your fellow PCs (or friendly NPCs) are trying to talk to each other. I'll leave that decision to you.
Last edited by max_vale on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by kipper »

max_vale wrote: kipper: I believe you still have 1D to spend on character skills
Isn't it 7D? I have spent 7D on skills:

Languages: 2
Technology: 1
Pilot: 2
Zeppelin Operation: 1
Con: 1

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by max_vale »

kipper: Yep, you're right….somehow when I recounted I forgot to add the 1D in con…..my bad. :oops:

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I edited my character sheet (above) to include the 1D+1pip.

I have no freaking idea what you are on about with all the in talk. Guns aren't my thing... So seeing as it was your primary suggestion, I will take the retooled Star B. other gear will include:
- an enhanced field med kit, though I will need to look up what I mean.
- aviators jacket, helmet, goggles and gloves
- Swiss Army knife/ multitool with a corkscrew on it
- matches, rolling papers and tobacco
- a pocket watch
- bandana

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by max_vale »

Rusty: Yeah, sorry….the History major/Pulp-era geek in me comes out some times….sorry! The funny thing is; while I have a ridiculous need to be 'period knowledgeable' (even in alternate-history worlds); with things like guns, while I can rattle off all kinds of info about various weapons….I don't have the slightest interest in owning/firing any of them. Weird, huh?

Everyone: Okay; I'll be getting more stuff up on the boards today and over the following few days; but I WILL have the first in-game post put up at some point today/tonight.

Also; I got to see an old-friend yesterday and I think he'll be joining these boards and this game….so yay!

Anyway, just thought I'd post that. More coming….in fits and spurts…..please bear with me! :)

-Max

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

max_vale wrote:3. Most skills in this game are very broad; so the Languages skill is basically used when trying to communicate with anyone who has a language you don't understand. ...I'll leave that decision to you.
Having been raised by affluent parents in Europe with a history of fleeing to France, I am going to say he is fluent in Spanish and French, passable in English (I reserve the right to make Faulty Towers-esque, "He is from Barcelona" jokes at will!), and poor in German. It is why I spent so many points on languages, after all! :D

Return to “Crimson Skies (d6)”