OOC Chat IV

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chat IV

#41 Post by Keehnelf »

Let me quote Fezzik: "I just want you to feel that you are doing well!"

No--I just mean that in the large scheme of things, good decisions on the battlefield will probably make more difference than a small handful of extra level one adventurers.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Zhym »

Fair enough. But Sleep spells have been awfully useful so far.

Plus, we've already had foreshadowing of smoke coming from town and something with really big feet among the approaching army. I'd like to believe those tracks are just the marks of Korok Longsoles, the famed hobgoblin with 4' long feet, but, alas, other options are more likely.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by KingOfCowards »

Zhym wrote:I'd like to believe those tracks are just the marks of Korok Longsoles, the famed hobgoblin with 4' long feet, but, alas, other options are more likely.
:lol: Thanks for the laugh Zhym.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Keehnelf »

Zhym wrote:Fair enough. But Sleep spells have been awfully useful so far.

Plus, we've already had foreshadowing of smoke coming from town and something with really big feet among the approaching army. I'd like to believe those tracks are just the marks of Korok Longsoles, the famed hobgoblin with 4' long feet, but, alas, other options are more likely.
Absolutely--just remember that sleep doesn't affect targets of 4+1 HD or higher, and that hobgoblins are 2 HD creatures, so a Sleep spell will definitely weaken a unit of hobgoblin soldiers but the most it can do is knock a unit down by 8. That's significant, but probably not more significant in the long run than, say, a cleric using a bless spell on a unit (or reversing it against a unit of enemies).

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Zhym »

Speaking of which, how will spell areas of effect convert to the hex system?

Bless is particularly nice, yes. One casting would seem to cover all the allies you can cram into a circle 120' in diameter.

Alas, Bless is a 2nd-level spell and I don't think we have a 3rd-level cleric yet.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Keehnelf »

Oh right--I keep forgetting about the level changes between editions!

And Bless is a 20'x20' area. (that makes it most likely to affect any size non-cavalry unit Vaul is fielding).

Basically an AoE spell will target up to one individual in a unit or melee per 1' of radius in the case of larger area spells (so a fire ball dropped on a unit would hit 20 targets).

AoE spells that are indiscriminate in their effect (like fire ball) dropped on a unit that is actively engaged will affect troops within that engagement randomly based on proportion (calculated by overall size of the engagement with larger troops like the Trolls or siege engines counting for multiple).

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Zhym »

Keehnelf wrote:And Bless is a 20'x20' area.
Oh right. I was getting AoE and range confused again.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Mister-Kent »

If I end up making a third character to replace Numen, it'll could be a mage or cleric...

Also, I think Constance ordered some infantry, so if she's back in time she'll gladly help.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Of all the 1st level cleric prayers, Detect Evil should get the most bang for the buck in this battle... :P just kidding. It seems Light, cast upon (the eyes of) their larger creatures or on their war machines might be a good idea because it would neutralize those beasts or make it more difficult to use the war machines.
Protect from Evil is for one person and that person cannot attack without dispelling it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Marullus »

KingOfCowards wrote: ...and Deliah, who we have seen very little of.
Deliah should be there for the battle. She just can't show up until Keehnelf introduces her because she started at the Tower of Wendall first and is out of sync.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Keehnelf »

Updates tonight. Been knocked more or less on my ass with a nasty bug the past few days.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Zhym »

KingOfCowards wrote:As Kennit struggles across the wilderness, his mind wanders to what his family would think about his current predicament. Before long, that progresses to an argument with himself within his own weary head, from two or sometimes three points of view.
"Well look at you Buckthorn, you've certainly seen better days. What do you think you're doing?""
"I'm running."
"Is that what you call it? Doesn't look very fast."
Kennit grunts and quicken his pace, albeit momentarily. "I'm tired...hungry. I'm thirsty."
"You're a pathetic excuse for a halfling, that's what you are. How'd you get in this mess?"
"I gotta find Rhodri"
"Hah...the elf? He's probably dead by now."
"He's alive. They took him."
"Why would you want to help him anyway? He never did nothin' for you."
"Loyalty. It's something you maggots know nothing about."
"I'm hurt. We always looked after you Kennit."
"You abandoned me. Sent me north after I killed that sheriff for you...for the clan."
"You drew too much attention to yerself. You were a liability."
"You set me up. You just wanted someone to take the fall. I was expendable, that's all."
"Well, I can't deny that. We had to do what's best for the family. We couldn't afford to have lost me or Ike?"
"Bah. I'm a better fighter than you or Ike put together. I plan on showing you if I ever see your sorry asses again."
"Like you showed those hobgoblins?"
Kennit growls to himself. "They had me outnumbered. There was three of 'em...and two gnolls."
"You're nothing special, Kennit. That's why you are where you are. Who have you ever bested in a fight?"
"I killed a dire wolf...I killed Nine Tongues." Kennit remembers fondly, beaming with pride.
"The goblin? Yeah, nice kill that. Besides the big man did all the work."
"You weren't there. Lug and Orrin went down, and I took off Nine Tongue's head." He chuckles to himself, until he remembers his old companions and a dark cloud passes over his face.
"That's funny. Where are your friends, Orrin and Lug? If you done so much for them."
"Gone. They left...because of Numen."
"Ain't he the other elf, where's he?"
"He betrayed us."
"Hah, what a joke. One elf stabs you in the back and here you are about to die trying to save another one. This seems to be a common trend for you, Kennit. Help someone out, and then get left behind. I guess we weren't the only ones to abandon you. You think you'd have learned your lesson the first time."
"I'll kill Numen, too. Just wait. That's why I need, Rhodri. He'll help. He knows what Numen has become. Rhodri will help me catch him. Rhodri will help. Rhodri...will...help." So sure of himself he is, that the voices seem to fade away, finally. And then its just him again.
Nice!

Never trust a hobbit who talks to himself or starts calling something "precious." :D

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Zorroroaster »

Yeah, that was all kinds of awesome. All kinds. Nicely done, KoC!
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by AleBelly »

Yeah, well done. Wonder if Kennit will be pissed when he finds out Numen has already been killed. I don't normally follow the other expeditions and didn't realize he was hated by others...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Zhym »

KingOfCowards wrote:Kennit gets a good look at the raiders who he is certain will be defeating whatever army Vaul plans to mount against them.
On their side: about 250 troops, including some of unusual size, plus siege engines. On our side: about 236, plus heroes. The town also has walls. I think we've heard about plans for additional fortifications, but I don't know if we'd been told yet what we have in the way of wall defenses (boiling oil, ballistae, etc.).

It's gonna be quite the battle.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by KingOfCowards »

If the odds were in our favor, what fun would it be?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Zhym »

I'd cheer on Kennit if not for what he's supposed to do if he wins this fight. :)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Keehnelf »

Just because they eat humanoids and want to destroy Vaul doesn't mean these are the bad guys. I mean, they're just preserving their homeland against invaders!

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by KingOfCowards »

Zhym wrote:I'd cheer on Kennit if not for what he's supposed to do if he wins this fight. :)
Always root for the underdog.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Keehnelf »

I'm actually rooting for him pretty strongly. It would be awesome if he could defeat a named bugbear NPC in single combat, after being the one to make the final blow against Nine Tongues. Kennit is a legend in the making at this point.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”