Burning Drumrin, son of Trombley

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Burning Drumrin, son of Trombley

#1 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Character Sheet

Name: Dumrin Trombley

Concept/Bio: Every dwarf should aspire to maximizing their dwarfiness. That is not to say that every dwarf be the same, rather they should strive to maintain their composure and act like a dwarf no matter what life throws at them. Take Dumrin. "Guilder born. Guilder bred. And when he dies, he'll be Guilder dead."

By sticking to dwarf values, Dumrin has done well for himself, his family and his clan. He is the patriarch of the Trombley clan - a lynchpin between his family and his wife's, the Snodgrims. And both have prospered through his retention of dwarf values. Dumrin uses the Trombley clan, which includes many carters and haulers, to transport goods along his now-established trade routes. Their primary ware is the Snodgrim's beer, who are now enjoy a reputation as master brewers throughout the region.

Dumrin and his wife, ??? have one son, Derfrin, who acts as Dumrin's right-hand dwarf in the business.

Lifepaths: Born Guilder, Carter, [Clansman] Husband, [Guilder] Trader

Stats: Will B6, Perception B5, Power B5, Forte B4, Speed B4, Agility B5, Stride: 6

Attributes: Reflexes: B4, Steel: B3 (modify by the questions), Hesitation: 4, Health: B5 (modify by the questions), Mortal Wound: B10, Greed: (modify by the questions), Circles: B4, Resources: B5

PTGS: Su: B3 Li: B5 Mi: B7 Se: B8 Tr: B9 Mo: B10

Beliefs:

Answer this

Answer this

Answer this

Answer this (Dwarven Oath)

Instincts:
1. Always haggle for a better deal.
2. Always tend to the animals first thing in the morning.
3. Always check in with [son] before going to bed to be sure all wagons/goods are secure.

Traits: [Dt] Accustomed to the Dark, [Char] Bearded, [Dt] Greed, [Dt] Oathsworn, [Dt] Shaped from Earth and Stone, [Dt] Stout, [Dt] Tough. [C-O] Dispute-Settler, [Char] Patient, [Char] Patriarchial, [C-O] Refined Taste.

Skills: Stentorious Debate B5, Clan-wise B5, Animal Husbandry B2, Brewer B2, Crossbow B2, Driving B3, Grain Appraisal B2, Shrewd Appraisal B3, Soothing Platitudes B3, Beer-wise B2, Family-Wise B2, Fear-of-Mirkwood-Wise B2, Mule-Wise B2

Affiliations:
1D Affiliation with the Trombley Kinfolk. (Your significant extended family)
1D Affiliation with primary external trading partner. Answer this

Reputations: 2D Regional Reputation as "Purveyor of High Quality Drink"

Relationships: - 1 point to spend still
3pts - Relationship with Son who works with you (i.e. your go-to lieutenant)
1pt - Relationship: An immediate family member who is a challenging pain in your butt (make a belief about him/her) This will happen enough with defunctdeity's character. I will invest the point elsewhere.
1pt - Relationship:for your wife who you love, if you want her to feature in the story (she may or may not be a pain in the butt) (make a belief about her)

Gear: Sturdy Shoes, Clothes, Traveling Gear, Shoddy Crossbow

Property:
15 points for Property in Erebor: a "large home" - what you abandoned and lost to Smaug. (Describe the 2D cash item(s) you saved in fleeing)
30 points for Carts and Baggage.

Spells: N/A

Weapons:

Code: Select all

Weapon  Power     WS     Add    VA
pick one   -
Also, List the Crossbow stats.

Greed Idiom: Answer this

[quote]If that works, you need to:
* Name and briefly describe one of your sons, who works for you and manages the wagons.
* Name and briefly describe your wife (a complex, love-based relationship)
* Name and briefly describe another immediate family member who you bear responsibility for and who is a pain-in-your-ass.
* Choose your best trade partner; their whole group then is +1D predisposed towards you. Primary choices for the region include:
-- The Woodland Realm (elves in Mirkwood)
-- Prince Dain's Folk (dwarves of Iron Hills)
-- Men of Dale (humans now dispossessed)
-- Men of Framsburg (human city at the foot of the Gray Mountains)
-- Northmen Smallfolk (humans of all the tiny hamlets across the region)
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Burning Drumrin, son of Trombley

#2 Post by Marullus »

So far, I feel like Drumrin has been created in a silo, so I would like to explore how he can best interconnect with the other characters while maintaining his story.
The character may seem a bit bland, but I think you just aren't to the interesting part. A Young Republican Family Man is awesome - his life is not made interesting by his own questionable past choices but by the people he has taken responsibility for. You have about 100 resource points - that's a little reputation, but likely a lot of affiliations and relationships!

Not only good ones, either. You get cost discounts to define people who dislike and work against you! Be creative in your relationships, then you can flesh out beliefs around them.
Utilizing his relatives and in-laws, Drumrin sells beer from the dwarves to Dale.
This, for example, could be an "I need a gang or crew" moment. Your trader has a passel of extended kin who are your wagoneer/trading team. It requires you buy a reputation related to the role, an affiliation with your dwarven kinfolk / trading crew, and a relationship with your second-in-command. Perhaps that is a protege. Perhaps it is your father-in-law. If your character is suddenly the titular leader of a wagon train, that cements you as a central figure to the pending story.
He has no regrets for this and knows he is obligated to see them safely to a new home, and then to provide for them.
That sounds like a driving Belief. Also, a place to buy a Relationship to whom this promise (or Dwarven Oath) was made.
It is a lucrative business model and has created a life of comfort for his wife, child, parents, siblings and in-laws.
Those are some key people to buy Relationships with and to tie into your beliefs. Extra credit if the promises you made to them conflict. :)
A dwarf that lives within his station will prosper within the Hold. I must establish my family (and clan) in a new community.
The sooner I can re-establish trade lines, the sooner my family (and clan) can be heal from this event. But I must avoid going into debt whenever possible.
My gut says that it would be something about the Clan being responsible to one another - mutual success being shared. But I also feel it should involve the other characters in the party.
"A dwarf that lives within his station will prosper within the Hold. " -- Good belief. Lets look to tighten the action statement.

What is the first step in getting your family somewhere new and established? It should be something that will require some challenge or negotiation with NPCs or other players, but possible to finish in a story arc.
- "I will convince our families to lay down old grudges and travel together."
- "I will sell my last cargo to the Woodland Elves to get the funds to travel onward."
- "I will barter with Dishonest Dunwhittle to get the extra oxen I need."

Or, go for the importance of proper station on this one.
- "I will prevent my son from leaving the merchant life of our clan with Slipwater Sue and her adventurers."
- "I will help my wife's drunken uncle Yorick to fulfill a purpose by convincing him to be a forward scout."

Also remember dwarves will have an Oath as a fourth belief.
- "I swear to my wife that I will protect her family members from harm on this journey."
(Nicely in conflict with putting Uncle Yorick out drunk on the front line...)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

It is incredibly interesting -and foreign - to me that I can mak not just one character, but also a handful of NPCs. I guess I figured we would remain a small group of dwarves - one for each PC. How large is this refugee group?

As to your comments, thanks. Much to ponder!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

The size of the caravan and the number of NPCs depends entirely on the characters Beliefs and Actions. :) It could be an adventure group of four, or you could be leaders of a caravan of hundreds (for example, if Fulci sets a goal to inspire the populace to follow him to the Penitents and succeeds). Each will present challenges and thus will be driven by what beliefs you decide to pursue. It could include the King, if someone's beliefs drive it, and/or be personally pursued by Smaug if someone invests in a story and Relationship to bring him into play as an enemy. It might be merchants and dispossessed clansmen, or include a company of soldiers if Dogma or FantasyChic make a military leader and invest that way.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Enoch »

Brain fart: I might take a (possibly antagonistic) Relationship with the king, since I want his perspective on the last days of the Kingdom Under the Mountain. A Belief about keeping him safe from harm could be fun, given that I'm unlikely to have a weapon skill.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Circling back for some more mechanical answers.
Rusty Tincanne wrote: Never stand behind a beast of burden.
Always haggle fro a better deal.
Those work for me. :)
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Every decision/course of action must positively affect the family (and clan); consider wisely.
This one isn't action-y enough... it is more of a belief.
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Trait Points:
1 (born Guilder) +1 (Carter) +2 (Husband) +1 (Trader) = 5 pts.

Current Traits:
Common

Traits to think About Getting:
Patient (1), Iron Nose (1), Stubborn?
The first trait on each list is required. So, you have:
Patient, Dispute-Settler, 3pts to spend
- The option to take Iron Nose and Pragmatic Outlook at 1pt each.
- The ability to take any other trait at normal cost.
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Skills:
General Dwarf Skills, Animal Husbandry, Clan-wise, Stentorious Debate.

Skills I would like:
Driving (3), Mule WIse (3), Haggling (5), Soothing Platitudes (5), Shrewd Appraisal (7), Persuasion (7), Beer-wise.
What are the numbers after them? (If it is desired skill level, remember there is a starting cap of B6.)

You have 16 skill points and 4 general points. Mule-wise would be general points.
You are skipping: Mending and Family-wise. I always like looking at what people skip, too. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Every decision/course of action must positively affect the family (and clan); consider wisely.
Marullus wrote:This one isn't action-y enough... it is more of a belief.

Quite right. I'll look into that. In Torchbearer the best instincts were there to force a test without taking up a turn. Without the Grind, what is a best practice for Instincts in BWG?
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Skills I would like:
Driving (3), Mule WIse (3), Haggling (5), Soothing Platitudes (5), Shrewd Appraisal (7), Persuasion (7), Beer-wise.
Marullus wrote:What are the numbers after them? (If it is desired skill level, remember there is a starting cap of B6.)
I have no idea! :lol: I remember seeing them in the book or some guide somewhere... I thought they were the cost of each... :?

Anyhow, with Enoch's character example coming along, I will get back to work on mine, following his flow. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Okay, lets simplify this down to help you. :)

Lifepaths:
Born Guilder --> Carter --> Husband --> Trader
156 years old
103 Resource Points
+2M, +1P
17 Class skill points, 4 General skill points
5 trait points

Traits:
Required: Patient, Dispute-Settler
Optional (1 point to open): Pragmatic Outlook, Iron Nose
3 points remaining

Skills:
Required: Animal Husbandry, Clan-wise, Stentorious Debate (2pts)
Optional (cost 2 points to open): Shrewd Appraisal
Optional (cost 1 point to open): Driving, Mending, Mule-wise, Family-wise, Haggling, Soothing Platitudes, Persuasion

It costs 4 points to open your required skills, which leaves you with 13 points. If you open all your optional skills it takes 9 more, leaving 4 class points to then allocate to raise them. You than have 4 General points that can be used on these, or to open any other non-class skill (such as a weapon or other wises).

You have two Dwarven Magic skills on your list - Stentorious Debate and Shrewd Appraisal. They cost two points to open, but only one point to advance after that, like any other skill. These skills are woven into the fabric of dwarfiness, allowing dwarves supernatural success with them. All 6's automatically count as a success and then reroll for a chance at an additional success. (Normally this costs a fate point per roll.)

Depending how you allocate your Stat points, your skills are likely to open at 2 or 3; this is the appropriate level for a skill you are learning or which isn't your character's focus. (Often these are good for FoRKs - they add +1D when your roll is for a different skill but you relate this skill in the narrative. Like adding Illuminations as a +1D when rolling Dwarven Script or Obscure-Text-Wise.) A skill of 4 is considered Competent. A skill of 5 changes the rules - at this level, you give +2D when offering it to help another character instead of +1D, and routine tests no longer count for its advancement (everything for advancement must be difficult and heroically done). A skill of 6 is the maximum for a starting character.

Stats:
At 156 years old, he gets 9 mental and 17 Physical. You have +2M, +1P from your lifepaths for a total of 11 mental and 18 physical.

Mental stats are divided between Will and Perception. Dividing 11 points with a maximum cap of 6 means one will be at 6 and the other at 5. Stentorius Debate, Persuasion, Haggling, Soothing Platitudes are traditional Will skills. Shrewd Appraisal and Wises are traditional Persuasion skills. Decide which way his aptitudes lean.

Physical stats are well described by Enoch in the other thread; 18 points is a nice amount to distribute.

Instincts:
Instincts are well-described in the book for game terms. What are the hard-wired life lessons which drive him and are emblematic for how he acts?

They have two mechanical purposes:
* Insurance and off-camera action. "Always draw my sword at the first sign of trouble" or "Always forage the roadside as I travel" are examples. They are committing an instinct as a limited resource to ensure that your character can and will act in a certain way.
* Causing problems for you, which earns you a Fate point. If triggering your instinct causes you complications in the current scene, the GM can offer you a Fate point to do so.
* They can bend the rules. Always drawing a sword, for example, essentially gives a free action. I've seen a Village Idiot with the instinct "Always blurt an ugly truth when confronted" allowing a free Incite action at the beginning of Duel of Wits. A military leader with the Command skill might have "Always rally my men when confronting fear" allowing use of the skill to reduce the hesitation of everyone in their group.

The best instincts can do both. They use the example in the book of "Always draw my sword at the first sign of trouble." Hey, that's great, they automatically start with their preferred weapon in-hand when combat initiates and won't get caught having to use an action to draw it. However, when they are pleading their case to the King in his court and their nemesis walks in... do they instinctively draw and face him, causing a faux pas? That's worth a fate point. For someone with a Husband lifepath, perhaps you made the decision to have young, rambunctious children. "Always keep an eye on my son, Rumbert." You won't get surprised by the GM with "oh no, he was kidnapped by the villain!" But the primary role of small children is to interrupt and make doing productive things more difficult. This trait could frequently work against you, earning fate points as you take Obstacle penalties for your child being in the way.

They should be emblematic of your character. As an example, a situation came up in another game on this site which would have worked well in Burning Wheel. I had a hobbit with an instinct, "Never engage in business before breakfast." It is therefore standard roleplay that she cooks and describes a meal before the group sets out each morning. The GM introduced some strangers who came to her house before dawn (presumably a new plothook). She offered them to come in and wait an hour or two and she'd feed them before discussing their business and they insisted it be done under cover of dark, before the dawn. She chose not to yield, and accepted unknown consequences but earning a fate point.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

Let's move this forward...

Please assign attributes, choose skills, and choose traits.

Mental attributes are pretty easy. Your guy looks pretty will-focused, so I'd recommend B6 Will, B5 Perception.
Physical attributes: how do you see him? Is he big and strong, but slow? (Power 5, Forte 5, Speed 4, Agility 4) or is he more nimble? More extreme in some direction (accepting a B3)?

For traits... You have Patient and Dispute-Settler. Three points is a significant thing as it lets you consider a more potent Die Trait, ora 2pt Call-On (re-roll). Take a look through the Trait Index in the book, starting on page 584. Charismatic, Charming, Cool-Headed, Driven, Extrovert, Fearless, Healthy, Inspirational, Iron Stomach, Iron Will? Decide what best defines him.

Skills...
How do you communicate?
You have the rare option of two good social skills.
- You are required to open Stentorious Debate. "This skill is a combination of Haggling, Oratory and Persuasion. It is loud, boisterous and heated."
- You can also open Persuasion. "Persuasion is the art of convincing someone to act on your behalf because it is in his best interest. This skill often involves an exchange of agreements-something very different from Falsehood or Oratory. Those two skills tell someone what to do or believe, whereas using Persuasion, one carefully crafts a suggestion for the victim to agree with. With luck, he'll think it was his idea in the first place."
Mechanically, they both can be used in most circumstances, including as a primary skill for Duel of Wits. Stentorious Debate is woven into the magic of dwarven nature, and so has slight differences. For the same expenditure of skill points you can have either Stentorious Debate at B5 and all 6's are rerolled for more success, or you can have Persuasion 6 and need to spend a Fate point to reroll 6's on a given test.
Story-wise, they are quite different, however, and your choice regarding these two skills will tell you a lot about who your guy is and how he operates.
GM-Caveat: Stentorious Debate can be used in a wide array of circumstances (haggling, oratory, and persuasion) but it is always a hard sell approach. If that approach is likely to be ill-received (such as by non-dwarves), I will assign an obstacle penalty.

Your Resource Points will be important, as you're the only guy who really has them. They are key to who your guy is, as they'll scope your family, relationships, and means. You have 103 points to spend, which is quite a bit.

From what you've said so far, I'd start by considering:

7pts - 1D Reputation as "Honest Dealer" (or some other appellation describing you as either a merchant or a family-man.) (25pts if you want it to be 2D)
10pts - 1D Affiliation with the Trombley Kinfolk. (Your significant extended family)
3pts - Relationship with Family Member (Wife, Father-in-Law, Son, etc) who works with you (i.e. your go-to lieutenant)

That gives you a "Gang or Crew" - the extended group of family members who make up your normal trading caravan. You can call on your direct employees as NPCs without having to use circles, and they generally do what they should in regards to keeping and caring for the merchant wagons, etc.

1pt - An immediate family member who is a challenging pain in your butt (make a belief about him/her)
1pt - for your wife who you love, if you want her to feature in the story (she may or may not be a pain in the butt) (make a belief about her)

8pts for a personal mount in your caravan.
3pts for clothes, traveling gear, and sturdy shoes (you are prepared for this journey, even if others aren't)

15 points for a "large home" - what you abandoned and lost to Smaug.
* Will count as 2D Cash instead of resources, per house rules. Define what personal effects you rescued in your escape to define what the cash is, and what you're giving up when you spend it.

That is 48 of 103 points, leaving 55 to spend.

Other options beyond that...

15 points for Carts and Baggage.
* You can buy this as many times as you choose. Each expenditure counts as B1 Resources, not cash. Because you are a merchant who already had carts full of goods ready for your next trip, you might be the only person with Resources instead of Cash, as these wagons are large and full enough to travel with you perpetually as you make deals to increase or decrease their value and contents. That's what this represents.

10pts - 1D Affiliation for any specific community away from Erebor where you have particularly good trade relations as a merchant

10pts - If you want a dedicated follower - bodyguard, apprentice, or assistant (perhaps your son). You roll up a second character with 3LPs and B5 caps and play them both.

20pts per barrel - Kegs of Nog. Legendary dwarven beer (likely made by your wife's family). Each Keg contains 12 mugfuls, special effects included.

20 pts for an heirloom dwarven weapon or 20 pts for a dwarven heirloom shield, rescued from the wall-display in your home when you escaped.

More relationships to add family members to your story. (Make beliefs about them.)
3pts for an immediate family member.
4pts for an extended family member.
-2pts if they are rivals and work against you.

Your guy could be pulled different directions by different demanding relatives, with up to 4 relationships and a belief for each. You've already mentioned your Wife and Father-in-Law. It depends how conflicted/interesting you want the guy to be.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

On a small device so I will do this piecemeal for my sanity. And tha is for braakin all this down for waxy of us separately!
Please assign attributes, choose skills, and choose traits.

Mental attributes are pretty easy. Your guy looks pretty will-focused, so I'd recommend B6 Will, B5 Perception.
Physical attributes: how do you see him? Is he big and strong, but slow? (Power 5, Forte 5, Speed 4, Agility 4) or is he more nimble? More extreme in some direction (accepting a B3)?
His Will has developed from dealing with menfolk and elves over the years. And he has others in the caravan that keep watch for thieves and brigands.
I see him as strong (having helped with animals and loading carts for a lifetime. But also agile to avoid injuries and counting coins - which I believe plays into his use of a crossbow which is good because that stat will be opening low. So:
Will B6, Perception B5, Power B5, Forte B4, Speed B4, Agility B5

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I will need to read through the traits and skills again, but Drumrin is a good dwarf, and while he deals with menfolk and elves, he expects them to deal with him the way he is - they obviously recognize that dwarf goods are superior, so our culture must be, too. As such, he will rely on Stentorious debate, opened at level 5. It is what he does.
That's all I have for now.

As for resources, his family was neither wealthy nor martial, so it is unlikely there is an heirloom crossbow kicking around. I will use a normal one.
He was loaded up to leave Erebor just as Smaug was coming. He will have at least two wagons, loaded with as much ale as I can afford! Other good too.

A lieutenant sounds fun, but creating one character is enough if a chore... But maybe.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

Shoddy crossbow costs 6rps. If you want any melee weapons, they collectively cost 5rps more. You can open and advance the Crossbow skill with General Skill Points.

Story-wise and from the description (carts plural), I would see it as two wagon trains, not two wagons. :) But that color is up to you - describe the size of your operation (wagons, employees, etc) in your initial IC post.

Your concept really requires you had property in Erebor for your family; the large house costs 15 pts. That and two Carts and Baggage gives you B2 resources and 2D Cash by itself. In addition, total up the amount spent on Reputations and Affiliations, divide by 15, and add that to your resources as well.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Wow Marullus. You are making wish I had made a beggar. :lol:

Seriously though, I am sure most of the players are used to one player = one PC with their world on their back. If my character - having an entire wagon train with him - is too cumbersome for any of the other players, just say so and I can change him. (An unlucky, blind beggar from the man-city of Dale?)

As to the number of carts, I figure that only a small portion of Drumrin's wealth would have survived Smaug's arrival. Which will be of great irritation to him and his family over time, I am sure.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by Spectreman17 »

Well, Drumrin, being a kind soul, would probably take his good fortune and use it as an opportunity to help a few in need and gather up a small group to help him with security and other such necessities on his temporarily final load. A great over all way to tie us together, plus easy enough to clear space for my small quantity of belongings in your carts :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

Bottom line: redesign until it is something you want to play. :)

My suggestions here are not requirements - they are to help you achieve the vision you initially expressed:
How do dwarfs do trading, anyhow? I imagine it is a group effort, with the Trader leading a band of dwarfs as they haul goods to and fro.
If you want to have a Crew that is your band of dwarves doing a group effort, that is okay. They are background characters who take care off the off-camera tasks. Burning Wheel supports individuals and also groups... No requirement to be murderhobos here.

If you want your belief to be about getting your whole family to a new place, that too is okay, and defines something about the traveling group, too.

If you want to have it be just one wagon with you as the driver and no crew at all, this also is fine. If your belief is still about family, you could "come back for them when you find someplace safe."

You have a point, though... You are the only one who decided to make a successful dwarf. We have a coward, an oath breaker, an outcast adventurer, and a disgraced chronicler. Plus a near-exile elf. :)

I see no problem in that, though. Having a straight-arrow Young Republican dwarf is a good foil to the others. Your caravan becomes a natural hub for the populace and each other character wants to appeal to 'the populace' for something. I was planning for that to work.

But it doesn't have to go that way. Decide what you want and make your character that way. I will sort the rest.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Probably best for me to answer Spectreman's OOC question about where characters stand in this thread.

I need some serious help with Drumrin. Where I am stuck is choosing traits, skills and resources. And time. I just changed jobs and one child is sick, so I have had little time to work through everything. Alas. I like the concept that he has a train of wagons laden with goods/resources. A traveling (or not) hub for the rest of the characters to latch onto/play off of.

His primary character trait seems to be one of profit vs security for his family. So he might be willing to part with some resources to fund an expedition to route the dragon from Erebor, but he is more likely to take his goods and family to another dwarf hold and establish himself there.

So traits... Per Marullus I have
Marullus wrote:Traits:
Optional (1 point to open): Pragmatic Outlook, Iron Nose
3 points remaining
I think I like Pragmatic Outlook. I was also looking at one for sensitive taste buds - so he can gauge beer flavors better. Any other suggestions of useful/characterful traits based on my concept?

Thanks much.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#17 Post by Spectreman17 »

Traits: you could always opt for something simple like patriarchal, if you see him as a father figure to all around him, or traits are a great opportunity to define a physical trait. lets say you pick red headed, no body would have redder hair than you do, or height or weight, or scars, all physical stuff can just be made up and bought for 1 point.

Stats:

That means every skill you open will be a B2 unless it is Will based, they will be B3. (skills with 2 parent stats will be B2 as well.

"Skills I would like:
Driving (3), Mule WIse (3), Haggling (5), Soothing Platitudes (5), Shrewd Appraisal (7), Persuasion (7), Beer-wise."

Required: Animal Husbandry, Clan-wise, Stentorious Debate (2pts)
Optional (cost 2 points to open): Shrewd Appraisal
Optional (cost 1 point to open): Driving, Mending, Mule-wise, Family-wise, Haggling, Soothing Platitudes, Persuasion

Assuming a lot because I don't have the book in front of me,

We open Animal Husbandry B2 (1pt), Clanwise B2 (1pt), and Stentorious Debate B2 (1pt)

Optional, We open Driving B3 (2 pts.), Mule Wise B3 (2 pts), Haggling B5 (3 pts), Soothing Platitudes B5 (3 pts), Shrewd Appraisal B6 (6 pts), Persuasion B6 (4 pts), and Beer wise B2 (1 pt General)

If that is all correct (Someone check my math) then you have spent 23 regular points and 1 General point of your allowed 17 regular and 4 General.

Let new know what skills you want to tone back to get down to 17 points. as well as where you'd like to spend your 3 remaining General points. those should be on hobbies, like a home brewing knowledge or boxing or whatever he does when he isn't working.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

I'll assist in getting you forward with this proposal. It is my best-match to the concept you've conveyed so far. Tweak it if you like and you are good to go.

Stats:

Skills:
Clan-wise B5, Stentorious Debate B5, Animal Husbandry B2; Driving B3, Shrewd Appraisal B3, Soothing Platitudes B3, Beer-wise B2, Mule-Wise B2; Crossbow B2, Brewer B2, Grain Appraisal B2, Family-Wise B2

This results in:
* You can drive the wagons in normal situations, but its not your main thing.
* You are excellent at haggling and convincing as long as you do it with a hard sell and a big dwarfy mouth (your answer above).
* You're modest at appraising most goods, but excellent as long as it is grains or beers (due to having FoRK dice from Beer-wise, Brewing, and Grain Appraisal)
* You are the group's leading authority on "what it means to be a good Greybeard dwarf" which all the PCs are. Using Clan-Wise lets you specify the facts for normal behavior. If you aid someone with this knowledge, you grant them +2D instead of +1D.
* With Clan-Wise B5 and Family-Wise B2, you are an expert on how a Good Dwarf SHOULD be, but you are far less accurate when addressing the realities of how members of your family actually are. (More fun for stories that way.) :)

Traits:

"I was also looking at one for sensitive taste buds - so he can gauge beer flavors better."

I'll give you that. There is a Keen Taste trait, but it is 5pts and overkill. We will create a lesser version that meets your needs.
New Trait: Rarified Taste, 3pt (C-O)
You have a natural talent for judging the quality and textures of food and drink. It also means that poor food is that much less paletable as well. Call-on (i.e. re-roll) for Shrewd Appraisal, Grain Appraisal, Beer-Wise, or Brewer.
So, your traits are then Patient, Dispute-Settler, Rarified Taste.
- You can creatively use any of the three traits against yourself and earn a Fate Point.
- Dispute-Settler will be a call-on (i.e. re-roll) for Stentorious Debate (in your case) when resolving a dispute between two characters.
- Rarified Taste will be a call-on (i.e. re-roll) for appraising beers, or other food or drink.

If you're happy with all the above, consider them done.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

Resource Points - we still need a little work. Since you like having a rolling merchant company composed of family members, lets start with that.

25pts - 2D Regional Reputation as "Purveyor of High Quality Drink"
10pts - 1D Affiliation with the Trombley Kinfolk. (Your significant extended family)
10pts - 1D Affiliation with primary external trading partner
3pts - Relationship with Son who works with you (i.e. your go-to lieutenant)
1pt - Relationship: An immediate family member who is a challenging pain in your butt (make a belief about him/her)
1pt - Relationship:for your wife who you love, if you want her to feature in the story (she may or may not be a pain in the butt) (make a belief about her)
15 points for Property in Erebor: a "large home" - what you abandoned and lost to Smaug. (Describe the 2D cash item(s) you saved in fleeing)
30 points for Carts and Baggage.
8pts for clothes, Crossbow, traveling gear, and sturdy shoes (you are prepared for this journey, even if others aren't)

This means:
* You have a sizeable wagon train (describe it in-game), and a full business of your kinfolk who manage it and work for you in the business. (Gang or Crew rules)
* You start with Resources B5 and due to your reputation, affiliation, and carts and baggage. (75/15)
* You start with 2D Cash items from what you grabbed from home while fleeing Erebor.
* You start with Circles B4 due to B6/2 will score and then +1D for having 50pts in property and relationships
* You start with three fun, useful, and problematic relationships for your character to focus on.
* You start with one major trade partner defined who you have a good relationship.
* You have a reputation that extends throughout the whole region - from the Iron Hills to the Elves of Mirkwood and every local village in between, you are well-known for only selling the best beer.
* You start with crossbow, wardrobe, and gear suitable to make you pre-prepared for the trip and situations ahead.

If that works, you need to:
* Name and briefly describe one of your sons, who works for you and manages the wagons.
* Name and briefly describe your wife (a complex, love-based relationship)
* Name and briefly describe another immediate family member who you bear responsibility for and who is a pain-in-your-ass.
* Choose your best trade partner; their whole group then is +1D predisposed towards you. Primary choices for the region include:
-- The Woodland Realm (elves in Mirkwood)
-- Prince Dain's Folk (dwarves of Iron Hills)
-- Men of Dale (humans now dispossessed)
-- Men of Framsburg (human city at the foot of the Gray Mountains)
-- Northmen Smallfolk (humans of all the tiny hamlets across the region)

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by Spectreman17 »

Marullus wrote:Name and briefly describe another immediate family member who you bear responsibility for and who is a pain-in-your-ass.
That troublesome Durgar kid :P whom you've sort-a-adopted from your brother in law.

except you don't acutally pay for inter PC relationships, so you're getting more than one pain in your ass kid :D

Return to “2015 Archive”