Action Thread 2

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 2

#121 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:After her first miss, Elwita is able to recover and get in a good strike on the creature she has been battling. Striking home, the creature let’s out a more intense hiss of pain, but it sounds weaker.
Ron, I did not apply the -4 penalty to my to-hit roll. Without knowing the armor class of what we're fighting, can you verify that a 12 actually does hit?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#122 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Ogre on the other hand gets in two powerful blows. Causing the pained hiss to stop abruptly and scaley bits to fly through the air onto him and the front line fighters. There's a flump, and of the legs that you have all been intently staring at and using as targets, 8 of them fall to the ground. This causes folks to realize that the other 8 left are likely one creature. The 8 legs that flumped, don't even twitch, they just stop moving and bleed.
Perhaps newly motivated by Ogre's success, Elwita finds her hammer strikes more easily.

+2 War Hammer*: To Hit [1d20+4] = 19+4 = 23 (Shoot! I keep forgetting to subtract the -4 for blind fighting. Still a 19 should do it.)

+2 War Hammer* (S/M): Damage [1d4+6] = 1+6 = 7 However, her damage rolls continue to disappoint. Ron, please subtract 1 if the creature we're fighting is large.
-- Project --
-- DM --

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#124 Post by ToniXX »

Blodgett moves to the rear of the beast and attacks with his short sword, making sure to not meet the creature's gaze:

To hit: [1d20] = 9, damage short sword: [1d6] = 3 (medium opponent)

After -4 for blind fighting, this is surely a miss :(
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Llama
Runner
Runner

#125 Post by Llama »

Kayen utters a short curse in elvish as he notices the magic javelin strikes but does not kill a foe. He swaps javelin for sword, his first swing cutting nothing but air. Using the hissing sound as a guide, he looks for monstrous feet and takes another impotent swing with the blade.

To Hit: [1d20] = 3 And a -3 penalty, no good.
Kayen Telva - 4 Fighter/4 Magic User - Slaves Pits of the Undercity

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex - 1:33am
Round 5

Continuing to NPC-PCs until they can get back to playing. Please let me know suggestions on attacks (if you want the PC-NPCs to vary from hack-n-slash) for these characters.

Creature’s initiative is [1d6] = 1 :( Party goes first.

Delgath feels as if the time is not right for a spell, but he looks up and says “Karraway is turned to stone!”

Phanstern holds the lantern up high with an agreeing “aye.”

Freda misses again, but is cheered to hear a thwack of an axe strike home next to her.

Elwita is able to feel her axe striking true even before it hits scaly flesh. An angry, pained hiss confirms the successful attack.

Spear, short sword and long all split the air with misses.

Ogre on the other hand gets in yet another powerful blow adding another 9HPs of damage. But the creature presses its attack!

Unfortunately the creature is so confused that he misses his attack, poorly.

The creature can only retreat if it wants to, it can’t go forward. New Round is upon us

That’s everyone. Continuing my erroneous even rounds double attacks, for Round 6 Elwita with the axe, and Ogre with the longsword can both attack twice this round (they attack outside of initiative, so first in the round and last) for the rest of you schlubs we’ll need a new group initiative (1d6) and actions and rolls from everyone. I think Computer +1 is a little iffy on staying in the game, and Delgath is a definite NPC for a week or two, so feel free to suggest actions for them.

HPs: Elwita - 40/54; Ogre - 17/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 31/42; Blodgett - 25/25 ; Freda - 39/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 16/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer, shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light), shield; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword; Freda: long sword, shield; Phanstern: dagger, lantern; Eljayess: Spear, shield; Kayen: long sword, shield
MO: Blodgett, Elwita, Freda, Ogre, Eljayess, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
Consumables: Bullseye Lantern (Phanstern) - (1 hour, 53 minutes) 80' radius, 10' wide beam; Torch (none lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1: Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-3/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#127 Post by Alethan »

Alright... blergh. (These dice rolls are gettin' me down!)

First the initiative...

Initiative [1d6] = 6

Hmm? :) Things looking up!

To Hit, Melee (THAC017) [1d20] = 16

Oh, might have a chance there!

Damage, Long Sword (S/M) [1d8] = 6

*crosses fingers*
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#128 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:...for Round 6 Elwita with the axe hammer, and Ogre with the longsword can both attack twice this round
Elwita, determined to pound the beast before her, begins filling the air with dwarven profanity as the first swing of her mighty war hammer narrowly misses (I think)

+2 War Hammer*: To Hit [1d20+4] = 10+4 = 14 -4 = Adjusted Roll: 10 (Hits AC 5)

The intensity of her rate becomes even more violent when she brings her hammer around again and suspects she misses a second time (again, I think).

+2 War Hammer*: To Hit [1d20+4] = 11+4 = 15 -4 = Adjusted Roll: 11 (Hits AC 4)

Just in case, I made a damage roll. Figures, I finally get a good roll and I probably missed!
+2 War Hammer* (S/M): Damage [1d4+6] = 4+6 = 10 -1 if the creature is large.

My thoughts on the NPC situation were moved to the OOC thread.
-- Project --
-- DM --

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex - 1:34am
Round 6 end of the melee

Just going to finish this as...

The creature rolls an initiative of [1d6] = 1

Everyone strikes their Avengers poses, ready for action, but unfortunately for the basilisk, Elwita and Freda are too quick on the draw bringing down sword and axe and splitting the last lizard apart.

Before you lie two bloody an dead basilisks, and one stonified cleric. The map remains the same until y'all move elsewhere. Phanstern lowers his lantern a bit as his arm is getting a wee bit peckish.

From now on we will do the extra attacks on odd rounds. ;)

HPs: Elwita - 40/54; Ogre - 17/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 31/42; Blodgett - 25/25 ; Freda - 39/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 16/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer, shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light), shield; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword; Freda: long sword, shield; Phanstern: dagger, lantern; Eljayess: Spear, shield; Kayen: long sword, shield
MO: Blodgett, Elwita, Freda, Ogre, Eljayess, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
Consumables: Bullseye Lantern (Phanstern) - (1 hour, 52 minutes) 80' radius, 10' wide beam; Torch (none lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1: Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-3/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#130 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:...Elwita and Freda are too quick on the draw bringing down sword and axe and splitting the last lizard apart.
"Nicely done." Elwita claps Freda on his shoulder. "Next time don't take yer sweet time in making yerself useful, eh?"

As her adrenaline begins to calm, Elwita begins to survey the situation. While she is impressed with the parties ability to handle the two basilisks (sweet!), she stares sadly at her petrified friend."What now?" she wonders aloud.
-- Project --
-- DM --

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#131 Post by ToniXX »

Blodgett sheathes his short sword then moves over to the petrified Karraway. He touches his arm, as he can't believe this has happened to his friend.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by Nuke66 »

"Well, we had a good strategy, though we lost one to some silly acts. Well done folks."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#133 Post by Alethan »

Freda stands in front of Karraway in silence for a long time, chewing on her lower lip, deep in thought.

"Well..." she finally speaks, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"You guys remember that time when we found a nest of ghouls in that old cathedral crypt and Karraway found a scroll for a Protection from Undead spell? And we also found several vials of holy water. And then there was the one time we saved that village from the lizard men and Blodgett found that dagger that ended up working really well against reptiles? (Unfortunately, it didn't work so well sticking out of the leg of the bugbear when it ran away from us...)"

"It's like... sometimes the treasure we find has some kind of relationship to the creature we've defeated."
"Maybe..." she turns to the rest of the group, "maybe this is one of those times, too. Maybe somewhere in that courtyard is the lair for these vial creatures and we'll find a scroll or a potion or something that we can use to rescue Karraway."

Without missing a beat, Freda shoulders her shield and sheathes her sword. She readies her bow (normal arrow) and cautiously approaches the opening. Fairly confident there are no more basilisks, she steps into the courtyard and starts searching for what might be their lair. Incidentally, she will also try to retrieve the two +2 magical arrows she fired at the basilisks...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#134 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:"It's like... sometimes the treasure we find has some kind of relationship to the creature we've defeated."
"Maybe..." she turns to the rest of the group, "maybe this is one of those times, too. Maybe somewhere in that courtyard is the lair for these vial creatures and we'll find a scroll or a potion or something that we can use to rescue Karraway."
Elwita is shook back to reality with Freda's wise words.

"Let us hope."

Turning to the rest of the party.

"Let us also not waste time. Let's join Freda in tearing apart their lair, finding what we can."

Elwita will look around the bend to the right, from where the basilisks originally came, hoping to find a "nest" or other such formation.
-- Project --
-- DM --

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#135 Post by migellito »

Phanstern shakes his head sadly as he lowers his lantern and looks at his petrified friend. "I know a blinding spell, but I would have had to look at the thing to cast it.. It would have gotten stoned before I finished.."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#136 Post by ToniXX »

Blodgett follows his friends into the basilisk lair, cautiously with his short sword drawn.

Llama
Runner
Runner

#137 Post by Llama »

Kayen pats Karraway on the shoulder before helping search the lair.
Kayen Telva - 4 Fighter/4 Magic User - Slaves Pits of the Undercity

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#138 Post by Alethan »

Llama wrote:Kayen pats Karraway on the shoulder before helping search the lair.
lol

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by rredmond »

With the basilisks out of the way, new action thread (and treasure!) here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=551

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:
Llama wrote:Kayen pats Karraway on the shoulder before helping search the lair.
lol
:lol: 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Return to “Slave Pits of the Undercity”