Strategy Thread

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Strategy Thread

#1 Post by rredmond »

For you all to use, or not. :)

Basically for strategy that may have been worked out beforehand. These are amateur, but skilled adventurers, so even though you technically can't talk out strategy mid fight, some familiarity with each other, and non-verbal communication and SOPs is assumed. Thus the perfect use for this thread... or for any other ideas really. I won't monitor this thread too closely.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Strategy Thread

#2 Post by tkrexx »

I haven't played any AD&D for nearly 20 yrs, and never online, so to my fellow players, I'll do my best, but please be understanding, and correct me when I err. I'm what you might call a "Sub-Classaholic, preferring to play Illusionists, Druids & Rangers. Dunno why.

My PC in this adventure doesn't have the CHR, nor do I have the contemporary experience to be the leader-type. That being said, I honestly believe Rangers were meant to take point during exploration, and designed to take the 1st hit (That 2-16hp at 1st level). Part of the bargain. I don't have a problem with this, but I always like a backup PC behind me, preferably a stealthy class (Illusionist or Thief) or a Druid outdoors. Someone who can quickly move aside to allow the 2nd rank (Fighters) to barrel past at the 1st sign of trouble. I like to launch at least 1 round of missle attacks if possible, before joining melee. Of course this often means others take the 2nd, and possibly 3rd hit while the Ranger fires arrows.

Just my initial thoughts, based on past adventures. Eager to see some other strategies.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

I've always struggled with playing magic users and illusionists, which is probably why I picked one. I'm determined to play it until I get it right. The other casting classes (clerics and druids) are able to arm and armour themselves enough to at least be somewhat useful; the challenge with the mage (for me, anyway) is to continue to be useful even after their two spells are used up for the day.

I realize I could get more mileage out of the class by multi-classing, but I've never been a fan of spreading the XP so thin. Makes for very slow progression.

Of course... I've yet to "end" a PbP campaign or module and then take that same character into the next campaign or module, so... maybe I SHOULD dual-class her for some armour and attack capabilities.

Let me think on it over night and see what sticks in my little grey cells as the right decision. :)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

tkrexx wrote:I haven't played any AD&D for nearly 20 yrs, and never online, so to my fellow players, I'll do my best, but please be understanding, and correct me when I err.
You and I are in very similar situations... I just made my return about a month before you. I'm familiar with most of the players in this group from the other game I'm involved in and you're in a good place... I'm sure you'll fit right in.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote: Let me think on it over night and see what sticks in my little grey cells as the right decision. :)
Apparently I'm sticking with a straight Magic User.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Nuke66 wrote:with darts or crossbow for a WP. lol
Yeah... I've never been able to wrap my head around the dart-throwing bit.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by tkrexx »

As a party we need to design silent hand signals: stop, hide, defensive positions, leader-come-check-this-out, a signal to scatter during rest, etc. Maybe I'm thinking too much like a Ranger (Or a Marine), but communication of events on an other-than-verbal level has saved many a soul.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Argennian »

Agreed on the communal hand signals, animal noises, whatever for the party being able to communicate silently/quietly. As at least slighty experienced adventurers, I'm fairly sure Ron wouldn't see that as too much of a stretch! :wink:

Man, I'm psyched to do this! Do gots to finalize/confirm my gear/spells/equipment...

Oh yeah, and since we're here, Strategy On!! 8-)

Do we have enough rope? Any 10' poles? Any thoughts on specific dungeoneering equipment/supplies, or even spells for that matter?

(Maybe us spell casters could compare notes and maximize our range/capability?... :) )
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Nuke66 »

I have 50' of silk rope and a grappling hook, 2 flasks of oil....and either feather fall, or Shield not much offense magic.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar started off with 20 gp - barely enough to get most of the necessities. I suppose she could have picked up 50' of hemp rope, but... she didn't.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by tkrexx »

Son of Thunder has 50' rope, 12 iron spikes and a hand axe to whack 'em in, using the hammer end, of course. We should certainly take the rope offered by the good townsfolk. Even poor quality rope may prove useful in an emergency.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Argennian »

Nuke66 wrote:I have 50' of silk rope and a grappling hook, 2 flasks of oil....and either feather fall, or Shield not much offense magic.
Alethan wrote:Ilhalevar started off with 20 gp - barely enough to get most of the necessities. I suppose she could have picked up 50' of hemp rope, but... she didn't.
Nuke66 wrote:I have 50' of silk rope and a grappling hook, 2 flasks of oil....and either feather fall, or Shield not much offense magic.

Ok then, Zafalia also has a 50'silk rope and grappling hook, 12 spikes and a small hammer, 2 flasks of lamp oil, hooded lantern, 2 torches. She still has @ 30gp or so and is now fully equipped with 2 days rations.

Al - :shock: Holy Shatner on that starting gold roll! Not sure if we're allowed to but Zafalia could certainly spare some coin for extra logistics! If Ilhalevar still needs some stuff, her trusty halfling friend would surely help! Besides, she's only 4.5lbs away from being encumbered and losing her reaction bonus, so she's pretty much set gearwise. :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:
Alethan wrote:Ilhalevar started off with 20 gp - barely enough to get most of the necessities. I suppose she could have picked up 50' of hemp rope, but... she didn't.
Al - :shock: Holy Shatner on that starting gold roll! Not sure if we're allowed to but Zafalia could certainly spare some coin for extra logistics! If Ilhalevar still needs some stuff, her trusty halfling friend would surely help! Besides, she's only 4.5lbs away from being encumbered and losing her reaction bonus, so she's pretty much set gearwise. :)
Actually, I think I did pretty well. With a MU, you don't have nearly the expenses as everyone else. No armour and no weapon if you go with the free quarterstaff. And since you start off with your first spellbook, that isn't an issue, either.

Plus... it just adds to my challenge and I'm ok with that. ;)

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Computer +1 »

Sorry guys that fleshing out my character is taking so long.

Just to let you know he is going to be a useless whimp with little value :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by rredmond »

Computer +1 wrote:...Just to let you know he is going to be a useless whimp with little value :)
That's usually the only one left standing at the end of the near TPK! :)
No worries on my part, still working out some stuff behind the scenes... maps in particular are going to be interesting but I think I've got it figured out.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by Alethan »

Computer +1 wrote:Sorry guys that fleshing out my character is taking so long.

Just to let you know he is going to be a useless whimp with little value :)
Off your pity pot, mister.

A cleric starting off with 4 lvl 1 spells (WIS bonus), especially since you can pick any from the list and don't have to worry about a spell book, is hardly of little value. CLW has its obvious benefits. Command can be a devastating spell if you use it right (a guy once told me how their cleric used that spell multiple times to help the party fight some minotaurs. Pretty simple, really, but most brilliant plans are... the fighters set their spears and then the cleric would command a minotaur to charge. Rinse and repeat with minimal effort.). Cast a light spell in the main bad guy's eyes and watch their leadership skills suddenly become very ineffective (ask the players of the Legacy campaign how effective an evil dwarf cleric with a scroll with multiple light spells on it can mess with a party... actually, I can tell you; it sucked.).

Play to your strengths (which, in this case, happens to not be STR)! You have twice as many "magic uses" as my lvl 2 magic user. If you only look at it that way, I'm just half as useful as you! Plus, you can wear armour and swing a mace! And you can turn undead! I get robes and a stick. Once I get some gold and a chance to spend it properly, I might be able to call a familiar, who could be useful for spying ahead, but who knows when that will happen.

But I'll figure out a way to be useful. And so will you.

Plus, you're less than five hundred XP from lvl 3. We could conceivably go down, do some adventuring, get some gold and XP, and come back up and rest a bit and end up with a lvl 3 cleric who then has 4 1st level spells and 3 2nd level spells.

You are indeed formidable, master cleric! :)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by tkrexx »

What HE said. Tho I personally don't like to play Clerics, I never go anywhere without one. Just you wait 'til you get that Hold Person. As we lack the Sleep spell, HP will make you top dog. That undead thing alone is worth taking hits for your PC.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

tkrexx wrote:What HE said. Tho I personally don't like to play Clerics, I never go anywhere without one. Just you wait 'til you get that Hold Person. As we lack the Sleep spell, HP will make you top dog. That undead thing alone is worth taking hits for your PC.
I have sleep.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by tkrexx »

I have sleep.
Never mind.

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”