Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Strategy Thread

#21 Post by Alethan »

tkrexx wrote:
I have sleep.
Never mind.
It's the only offensive spell I have. But it's the best crowd control a lower level group can have, as well.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by tkrexx »

Absolutely. I mistakenly thought we were doing without. This changes things!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by Computer +1 »

Alethan wrote:
Computer +1 wrote:Sorry guys that fleshing out my character is taking so long.

Just to let you know he is going to be a useless whimp with little value :)
Off your pity pot, mister.

A cleric starting off with 4 lvl 1 spells (WIS bonus), especially since you can pick any from the list and don't have to worry about a spell book, is hardly of little value. CLW has its obvious benefits. Command can be a devastating spell if you use it right (a guy once told me how their cleric used that spell multiple times to help the party fight some minotaurs. Pretty simple, really, but most brilliant plans are... the fighters set their spears and then the cleric would command a minotaur to charge. Rinse and repeat with minimal effort.). Cast a light spell in the main bad guy's eyes and watch their leadership skills suddenly become very ineffective (ask the players of the Legacy campaign how effective an evil dwarf cleric with a scroll with multiple light spells on it can mess with a party... actually, I can tell you; it sucked.).

Play to your strengths (which, in this case, happens to not be STR)! You have twice as many "magic uses" as my lvl 2 magic user. If you only look at it that way, I'm just half as useful as you! Plus, you can wear armour and swing a mace! And you can turn undead! I get robes and a stick. Once I get some gold and a chance to spend it properly, I might be able to call a familiar, who could be useful for spying ahead, but who knows when that will happen.

But I'll figure out a way to be useful. And so will you.

Plus, you're less than five hundred XP from lvl 3. We could conceivably go down, do some adventuring, get some gold and XP, and come back up and rest a bit and end up with a lvl 3 cleric who then has 4 1st level spells and 3 2nd level spells.

You are indeed formidable, master cleric! :)
You misunderstand me, he is going to be a whimp because I am going to play him that way! :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by Alethan »

Computer +1 wrote:
Alethan wrote:
Computer +1 wrote:Sorry guys that fleshing out my character is taking so long.

Just to let you know he is going to be a useless whimp with little value :)
Off your pity pot, mister.

A cleric starting off with 4 lvl 1 spells (WIS bonus), especially since you can pick any from the list and don't have to worry about a spell book, is hardly of little value. CLW has its obvious benefits. Command can be a devastating spell if you use it right (a guy once told me how their cleric used that spell multiple times to help the party fight some minotaurs. Pretty simple, really, but most brilliant plans are... the fighters set their spears and then the cleric would command a minotaur to charge. Rinse and repeat with minimal effort.). Cast a light spell in the main bad guy's eyes and watch their leadership skills suddenly become very ineffective (ask the players of the Legacy campaign how effective an evil dwarf cleric with a scroll with multiple light spells on it can mess with a party... actually, I can tell you; it sucked.).

Play to your strengths (which, in this case, happens to not be STR)! You have twice as many "magic uses" as my lvl 2 magic user. If you only look at it that way, I'm just half as useful as you! Plus, you can wear armour and swing a mace! And you can turn undead! I get robes and a stick. Once I get some gold and a chance to spend it properly, I might be able to call a familiar, who could be useful for spying ahead, but who knows when that will happen.

But I'll figure out a way to be useful. And so will you.

Plus, you're less than five hundred XP from lvl 3. We could conceivably go down, do some adventuring, get some gold and XP, and come back up and rest a bit and end up with a lvl 3 cleric who then has 4 1st level spells and 3 2nd level spells.

You are indeed formidable, master cleric! :)
You misunderstand me, he is going to be a whimp because I am going to play him that way! :)
lol. Never mind, then. :)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Argennian »

Marching Order: Zafalia's fine going where needed but could do some good in the 2nd rank. She can use her spear and be close enough to the front to cast offensive spells. If single-file, she'd vote to go between 2nd and 4th in line.

Spell Roster: Zafalia has a pretty decent amount of spells at 2nd level. This is what she has memorized right now:

Memorized spells currently:
1st level
1. Animal Friendship (no big surprise what I was trying for earlier? 8-) )
2. Faerie Fire
3. Speak with Animals
4. Speak with Animals

2nd level
1. Cure Light Wounds
2. Cure Light Wounds
3. Produce Flame

So, I'm curious if taking Entangle might work with certain subterranean things such as fungus and molds. That could be huge if so. Speak with Animals, is the best 1st level spell available to druids, imho, so I might still want to go with 2 of them. Also have Detect Magic, as well as some potentially useful 2nd lvl spells.

Computer +1: what are you going with spell wise for Wulfgard?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Argennian »

Nuke66 wrote:well, what is the plan?

Rope, Ladder, Oil, Lantern?
Yes to all of the above! :)

If we can't or don't want to predetermine what our M.O. & watch rotations are then I guess we'll just have to take it on a case by case basis. I'm fine with whatever, just think it would be good to have figured it for Ron's sake.

~ Is there anyone here that still needs to finish up sorting their character (sheet)?
Last edited by Argennian on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by Alethan »

Hopefully we won't spend too many nights holed up in the caverns themselves to worry about watches? Random monster checks happen all-too frequently within dungeon environments for my taste. I'd suggest entering the caverns early in the morning, keeping track of time (burned torches is an easy way), and then leaving the caverns before night if distance is not a great barrier.

But, if we must, I'd then suggest we put all humans at either the beginning or the end of the watches, and put anyone with infravision in the middle. That way, we can consider saving on fuel/torches/lamp oil by having people with night vision stand guard during the least-active (in the party camp) times of the night.

Other than being allowed the appropriate amount of uninterrupted sleep and time in the morning to memorize spells, my character is fine with whatever watch. Possibly one of the last shifts before waking up, as she could easily switch from "on watch" to "preparing spells" as others get up and moving about.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by tkrexx »

Not picky about watches. My PC will go wherever needed.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by Nuke66 »

Well, I have 50' of silk rope, a Grappling hook, 2 flasks of oil and flint and tinder, but only one GP left.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by tkrexx »

I still have some gp, could cover some costs.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by dmw71 »

tkrexx wrote:Not picky about watches. My PC will go wherever needed.
Same here.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

There are a lot of us in the party (presumably still 7 or 8 of us, right?). At some point, at least a few of us will have to be specific.

If we have eight, then we can run 4 shifts of 2 people in each one. We should try to have a burly type with a non-melee type when possible...

Sleeping Shifts:
1st: Name Name
2nd: Name Name
3rd: Name Name
4th: Name Ilhalevar

I'll put in Ilhalevar for the last shift of the night.

But I'm going to stay back from party organizing in this game; give some others a chance, so we'll need someone to stay on top of this until we get it figured out. This is also probably a good time for everyone to check in and let us know you're still around.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia would offer to go for the 3rd watch shift, that way she has enough time to rest and repray for her spells before her rotation.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by dmw71 »

Argennian wrote:Zafalia would offer to go for the 3rd watch shift, that way she has enough time to rest and repray for her spells before her rotation.
Sleeping Shifts
1st: Name Malak (Human Thief)
2nd: Name Name
3rd: Name Zafalia (Halfling Druid)
4th: Name Ilhalevar (Elven Magic User)

Wanting to avoid paring a "weak" character with another "weak" character, Malak the useless thief will volunteer to take the first watch.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by tkrexx »

Son of Thunder will stand with Malak.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Watch Rotations

#38 Post by Argennian »

So just thought to pop in here to see if mayhap we could establish Watch Shifts for our newly-combined larger group. Although we can certainly always modify things as situational needs/desires arise, this would go a long way to helping Super DM Ron at least have a default to reference.

And with all the characters we have here (10 currently, and possibly 9 soon), we’ve got some options for our watch rotations. We could go with multiple shifts (3-4) or just use 2 shifts while in hostile territory, that way we have a sizable force always at the ready.

Thoughts?

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Shambling Mound-Thingy...

#39 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:We can lays see if it chooses to remain near its lair. If not, then we fight it. But... I have a feeling we've only made but a dent. It is obviously harder to hit and has a lot more hit points...
All good points.

Zafalia is not opposed to flight versus fight, it's just that Ron had stated that it was already up and moving to attack on initiative, which I took to mean imminent engaged melee was already upon us. We might consider making a fighting withdraw and see if it follows? Not sure how fast that thing moves or if it has the ability to regenerate it's wounds! :shock:

Other than knowing it resembles a Shambling Mound, not sure how much the druidess actually knows about them and their capabilities, powers, weaknesses, etc. I know that this thing has been tough to hit but I'd almost rather deal with it now, lest it either get behind us later or inform it's mates, if it has any. Or it's master for that matter? :?

My 2 coppers anyways...

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”