[IL] / [A]
...[W]...

Outdoors

...[S]...

[K] / [H]
[IN] / [Z]
[A] / [IL]
...[W]...

Incio takes the lead underground, with the fighters up front. The spell casters are in the middle and the cleric guards the rear.

Outdoors, the ranger takes the lead followed by the fighters. The thieves and spell casters are centered and the cleric still guards the rear.

Discuss, please.
Last edited by Norjax on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread TOP/SOP

#2 Post by rredmond »

Watches:

1st: SoT -- Malak (Human Thief)
2nd: Al’Zur -- Name
3rd: Name Zafalia (Halfling Druid)
4th: Name Ilhalevar (Elven Magic User)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

NPCs - who they are, what they got and what are their orders
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by rredmond »

SOPs: doors, stairs, chests, etc.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Moved post up.

But the discussion can continue here.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Argennian »

Norjax wrote:Marching order:

I based this on the ‘Slave Pits’ party:

[A] Al’Zur, Elven MU/Thief
[H] Halrain, Human, Paladin
[IL] Ilhalevar, Elven, MU
[IN] Incio, Halfling, Thief
[K] Korgul, Dwarven, Fighter
[S] Son of Thunder, Human, Ranger
[W] Wulfgard, Human, Cleric
[Z] Zafalia, Halfling, Druid

5’ Wide Corridor

[IN]

[K]
[S]
[H]
[IL]
[A]
[Z]
[W]

10’ Wide Corridor

...[IN]...

[K] / [S]
[H] / [IL]
[A] / [Z]
...[W]...

Outdoors

...[S]...

[K] / [H]
[IN] / [Z]
[A] / [IL]
...[W]...

Incio takes the lead underground, with the fighters up front. The spell casters are in the middle and the cleric guards the rear.

Outdoors, the ranger takes the lead followed by the fighters. The thieves and spell casters are centered and the cleric still guards the rear.

Discuss, please.

I'd like to offer up Zafalia for the 2nd rank, especially in underground / dungeon areas. She fights with a spear so would be able to attack from the 2nd rank (behind the fighters). When outdoors, she can take whatever position works good.

As far as watch rotations, she'll offer to take late/last watch, as she's got infravision.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar is fine with sitting safely in the middle of the pack. I agree with Argennian, as far as having a spear-wielder in the second row, but... can a halfling effectively use a spear over a dwarf's or human's head?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by tkrexx »

I tend to agree, Zafalia might do better 2nd rank. If the 3 Fighter-types are all engaged her +6 sling ability may be a blessing (Especially since we have 2 sling experts), and her AC is among the lowest. If needs be she can heft that spear and stand between foes and the other spellcasters. Of course there may be some instances of the Paladin and the Druid trying to save each other's souls... ;)

Other than this I'm fine with it as is.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Ilhalevar is fine with sitting safely in the middle of the pack. I agree with Argennian, as far as having a spear-wielder in the second row, but... can a halfling effectively use a spear over a dwarf's or human's head?
Good point, Al! Zafalia certainly won't be stabbing over the top of a human's heads and even a dwarf might be tough! :)

As far as the mechanics of the rule go, however, I don't believe that to be a disallowing factor in a small size character or creature being able to do so. I'm pretty sure that's the case in 1E but I will definitely need to check the OSRIC book on that!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by rredmond »

Nah, it's the length that's the thing. I always saw it as poking between and over stuff like tkrexx says. But if you see anything in OSRIC that says otherwise let me know!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

Oh, that works for me, then! Just didn't know how the mechanics of the concept worked out in-game.
tkrexx wrote:If the 3 Fighter-types are all engaged her +6 sling ability may be a blessing (Especially since we have 2 sling experts)
Just remember, we can't range attack into a group of melee and pick a specific target, so we definitely don't want to use ranged weapons against bad guys if anyone from our side is in melee combat with them. There is an equal chance of hitting any one person/monster within the group, friend or foe.

Page 122 of the OSRIC manual:
Missile Attacks: Missile attacks are attacks with a ranged weapon such as a crossbow, sling, or thrown axe. When using missiles to attack into a melee, it is not possible to choose which particular target will receive the attack; the target should be determined randomly from among all melee participants, and the missile-firer could well hit a friend. A character’s dexterity bonus for missile attacks is added to the “to hit” roll when the character is using missile weapons. If a character has a missile weapon in hand, his or her missile bonus is also added to his or her initiative roll, allowing the character to potentially attack first even if his or her party has lost the initiative roll.
I kept the second half of the paragraph in there because it was something recently pointed out in another game on this forum. If you have your missile weapon (nocked bow, loaded crossbow, throwing hammer/axe/dagger, sling with stone/bullet) in-hand, then your DEX To Hit bonus is added to any initiative rolls, which could mean you get the upper hand in combat. This rule may have slightly impacted some combats I've been involved in with other characters, but I don't think it was a game-changer. But it might very well be in a future combat.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by tkrexx »

I just made that point about the +6 slingers 'cuz in there could be cases where the 3 Fighters will be outnumbered/overmatched and some of the opponents could be outside of the general melee or target the remaining group. A couple of well-placed pre-melee shots could make a big difference in the outcome. Also good for disrupting enemy spellcasting, if it comes to that. +6 is huge, and to be placed behind a taller Elf in the marching order would negate this advantage for one of our 2 Halflings.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by Alethan »

No, I agree. Put a sling in the hands of a high dex halfling and they become a very effective ranged attacker.

Just think of a party of halflings, all armed with slings... :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Just think of a party of halflings, all armed with slings... :)
That would be pretty funny.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Norjax »

I've placed Zafalia ahead of Ilhalevar in the underground marching orders.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by rredmond »

Just relooking at Marching Order as we move forward:

MO (10’): 1- Odo; 2- Korgul and Varkos; 3- SoT and Malak; 4- Ilhalevar and Al'Zur; 5- Zafalia and Wulfgard; 6- Rake

Did Rake state a preference that I saw?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Just relooking at Marching Order as we move forward:

MO (10’): 1- Odo; 2- Korgul and Varkos; 3- SoT and Malak; 4- Ilhalevar and Al'Zur; 5- Zafalia and Wulfgard; 6- Rake

The above works for me, but Malak will simply fit in wherever.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by saalaria »

Agreed on the MO

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Vargr1105 »

rredmond wrote:Just relooking at Marching Order as we move forward:

Nope, he will fit were folks tell him to fit. Bringing up the rear sounds nice.

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”