Expedition - Lug/Rescue II - 28 April, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Lug/Rescue II - 28 April, 1 VC

#241 Post by Keehnelf »

I would assume that Val and Niles at the very least shared what they knew from their prior expedition.

As for pushing toward town more quickly--you pushed pretty far and fast, including marching through the night, but you had to go in a different direction because of how the flames were affecting your positioning. Now, the decision to stay and help Xavro might have been based partly on forgetting (or ignorance) that this information was out there--I can't attest to that. But I feel uncomfortable being the arbiter of what information is shared by default between party members between expeditions, thus I didn't post anything about what was or was not known. Publicly known was that there would be an attack. More than that would have been on Val and Niles to share, but it would be highly relevant to the current discussion at the very least so they'd have no reason to be coy about it at this late hour.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by Zhym »

I think the question was more whether Ulf, Galen, or Bertram would have told what they knew to Val and Niles. Nothing in-game says they did, but nothing in-game says they didn't.

And IIRC, we hustled through the forest because it was on fire. When we got out of the forest, we were in much less of a hurry.

However, if there's smoke coming from the direction of Vaul, I guess it doesn't matter how much we knew about the coming attack. It's pretty clear there's something wrong now.

But Lug still isn't going anywhere until Numen is buried. A scouting party is still probably a good idea. At the very least, we find out what we're up against before we're in the middle of it.

The bigger issue, IMO, is whether we can somehow get to a point where Lug is willing to travel with Varas, or if we'll have to split the party (even if it's Lug staying behind to bury Numen while the rest of the party moves on. Not my first choice, obviously).

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#243 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar removes his shovel that had been loaded onto Mustard. I will start digging if you want to find a spot where you think Numen would like to be buried, Lug. If elves want to be buried. He sighs. Unfortunately, this is not the first grave I have had to dig out here. The other was for a human, so we were pretty sure we knew what Olympia wanted. I don't know much about funeral rituals among the eleven kind.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by Keehnelf »

Valorei looks hesitant at first, but chimes in. "Well, the traditions of the elves can vary greatly from one folk to another. As you can see from his complexion and coloration," he indicates the fiery red hair and ember-like eyes of the fallen elf, which are wide and staring but have not lost their unearthly bright red coloration even in death. "he and I come from different backgrounds. However, since he is a flame-elf, I would expect that his people routinely burn the bodies of their fallen, probably in some kind of elaborate ritual. That is common for elves of any breeding. I can perform some of the usual rites from among my people, if you like, though I don't know if his gods will hear me when I speak in a foreign tongue." He hesitates again. "At the least, it would be the courteous thing to do."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Zhym »

"I guess we should do that, then," says Lug.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by Keehnelf »

Val steps up and shoulders his way out of his pack, the beginnings of a broad and inappropriate smile appearing on his face. "Well, I've never performed an elvish funerary rite, as such, but I know the words and songs. Mostly--I've read about them quite a bit, anyway. It's much the same, after all." He moves toward the body, but is intercepted by Wendall.

"Let me dispose of my friend Numen's belongings inside, first." Says the young wizard. "He was carrying some items of value to me, such as my spell book, and I'd prefer if they didn't perish in the fire when the rite is complete. Lug, I know we didn't meet under good circumstances but you're a friend to Numen as well, so would you be kind enough to carry the body inside for me?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Zhym »

Lug, still sitting next to his dead pal Numen, gives Valorei a puzzled and slightly annoyed look. Why would he be so chipper at a time like this?

"Sure, you can have your spell book," he tells Wendall, "He'd have two on him, right? Yours and his? We'll look at his pack here, in the open. Tell me which spell book is yours and you can have it back. Anything else he's carrying stays with him. I won't let our friend Numen's body be looted like he was a raiding goblin. I'm sure you understand."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Keehnelf »

Wendall stops dead for a moment, his eyes flitting around the yard in front of the tower from one adventurer to the next. Slowly, he stands up straight, and seems to be collecting his dignity as he says, "Ah, well. Before we get to that, there's also the matter of my armor. Since Numen was leaving for such a dangerous mission, I agreed to loan him the use of my armor for the journey. I expect to get that back before we consign his body to the flames." He bends down and tears open the front of Numen's tunic, revealing a lightweight suit of silvery mail underneath. Varas, Dorvar and Valorei immediately recognize it as the suit of elfin chain they found beneath the roots of the Carkiss, though it's spattered with fresh blood all over the front now. Wendall cocks an eyebrow before he stands once again and motions Lug to roll the body over so he can get at the elf's backpack.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Zhym »

"Enough manhandling him!" says Lug. "I'll look in his backpack. Tell me what he has of yours. If it's in there, I'll give it to you." The big man takes the backpack and opens it.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Keehnelf »

"My spellbook is what he has in his pack!" Wendall exclaims, suddenly angry. "And my armor on his body!"

Lug rolls Numen enough to get the pack, stuffed full of odds and ends, off the elf's body and begins rooting around inside. He pulls out not one, not two, but three spellbooks from the pack. One, those who have traveled with Wendall immediately recognize as belonging to him--it has a large bright-green "W" sigil engraved across the front and looks severely weather-beaten. The second, Lug recognizes as Numen's; it is unadorned, compact, and sheathed in supple suede, though a bit worn from travel and handling. The third is slightly larger than the other two, thick, and covered in slightly cracked black leather that curls slightly in various places. Emblazoned across the front is a silver circle with a gap in the upper right section. The pages within are irregular and slightly frayed, and the cracks in the cover are encrusted with grime and muck, long since dried.

Niles gives an involuntary gasp when he sees the book, but otherwise remains silent.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by AleBelly »

Varas's eyes narrow. "I KNEW something was amiss! Wendall, you prized that shirt of elfin mail. You claimed it immediately after Val, Dorvar and I stood by your side to win it. At yet you just hand it over to another? What made you surrender it? A charm of some sort? Friends, I did the right thing in killing this elf. I am sure of it. Have any of you heard of a mage willingly surrendering his spellbook to another?

Wendall and Lug, perhaps one day you'll acknowledge the favor I did you. But I won't suffer your foolishness for another minute. I'm headed back to Vaul. You two can watch the corpse rot and cry over it for all I care. Any of you that wish to join me can feel free to do so."

With that Varas retreats to his horse, keeping an eye on the two, clapping Niles on the shoulder in gratitude for supporting him. He will then ride back to Vaul with whomever wants to accompany him...but he will not help bury Numen or participate in any of the rites.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by Keehnelf »

The gnomes and mercenaries are also ready to depart at this point--though the sellswords were hired by a consortium of the adventurers for this job, Zirina is ready to be quit of the tower of misfortune and back to a place where their strength will be more meaningful.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by Zorroroaster »

Marge, who knows very little of these histories, stands back and watches with keen interest.

"Curiouser and curiouser, eh Dog? This is better than them travellin' puppet shows what we've seen afore."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Marullus »

Nihilius gasps, then displays a range of emotions in quick succcession - shock, anger, determination. His posture straightens into the stiff-necked imperious demeanor he had when he met and departed with Valorei the morning after Harrowing. "Wendall's book is obvious, and as Varas says, a further indication that something here was, and is, indeed amiss. No wizard, especially Wendall, gives up their spellbook like this no matter what he might be ensorcelled to say now." He pauses. "The third book is stolen property, as it originally belonged to me. It belongs to neither Numen nor Wendall while I live."

He pauses solemnly and speaks to Lug with deadly seriousness. "I respect your desire to set Numen to his last rights with dignity and respect, but must caution you that it is dangerous and unpredictable to attempt to burn spell books. That book, in particular, would almost certainly kill anyone watching and ensure Numen's soul came to different end than you intend should you attempt to mishandle it or cause it harm. That book must be returned to me."

"The matter of Numen's spellbook is a trickier matter. I know you'd wish to burn it with him and it is indisputably his own property, but I cannot vouch what magics and effects might be released by your attempt to do so. If I may make a suggestion?" He pauses only a breath before continuing. "As you believe Numen was faithful in service to the good of Vaul, imbue him with that legacy by this final act. Give his spellbook to Wendall for the Order of the Skull and extract from him a promise that it may be used freely and without profit by any wizard of Vaul who requests it. Wendall is notorious in his desire for profit, but I believe he would execute this faithfully if enforced by you. Let Numen be remembered this way, as an act of good. If not, I understand. I will retreat to safety with the others before you attempt to light it, just in case."

He extends a hand to Lug.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by Keehnelf »

Wendall, upon hearing Varas' statement, jumps up and down, excitedly, pointing at the thief. "You see? He admits the armor is mine! As for the black spell book, Numen shared its contents and history with me since we're friends--I inow that he uncovered it while adventuring in a locale that you most certainly never could have lost it. Just by looking at the cover, it's easy to see that this was without an owner for far longer than you've even been alive, boy."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Zhym »

Lug looks with wide eyes at Wendall. "Wow! You gave him elven armor and your spell book! He must have put a spell on you! Boy, I'm sure glad he didn't put a spell on me! I might have given him Smurfgrill or something!"

"I guess you're right about burning spell books." he tells Niles. "But you wizards really should write your names inside your books or something. That's what I'd do, if I had any books. I'd write, 'This book is property of Lug. If found, please return to Lug. Sincerely, Lug.' Wendall has a big W on his book, and everyone knows it's his, see?"

He sits up a bit and takes what he believes is a solemn and wise demeanor. "Okay, you two," he says to Niles and Wendall, "tell me more about why you both think this book is yours. And is anyone else around who knows what's going on with this thing? The Assassin was with you too, wasn't he? Fat lot of good he'll do us; probably just try to stab the book while it's sleeping. Dorvar? You were with them too, weren't you? What the heck are they talking about with this thing?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by AleBelly »

Keehnelf wrote:Wendall, upon hearing Varas' statement, jumps up and down, excitedly, pointing at the thief. "You see? He admits the armor is mine! As for the black spell book, Numen shared its contents and history with me since we're friends--I inow that he uncovered it while adventuring in a locale that you most certainly never could have lost it. Just by looking at the cover, it's easy to see that this was without an owner for far longer than you've even been alive, boy."
"It's not yours anymore, kid. A dead elf's wearing it. Like Lug said, bury him with it."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Keehnelf »

Wendall smirks at this response from Varas. "If I remember correctly, the last time we talked about this armor we found it on a dead elf. And I ended up with it that time, too." He almost looks embarrassed when he catches Valorei's unpleasant glare, but doesn't say anything. His smile fades significantly, though.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by Zhym »

"The assassin speaks!" cries Lug. He pulls the armor over Numen's head and tosses it (the armor, not Numen's head) to Wendall. "If Numen's assassin doesn't want you to have the armor, that's reason enough to give it back to you."

"Now, about that spell book..."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by Keehnelf »

In response to Lug, Wendall says, "I didn't say the black book was mine--just that my friend Numen had talked to me about it enough to know that it doesn't belong to the kid. I like his idea about having the spellbooks stay with the Order of the Skull, though, free for everyone to use. Except for some of the stuff in that black book, it's pretty dangerous. I definitely wouldn't want it getting around to just anyone. In fact, Numen didn't say anything about it, but I could tell he wanted to find a way to destroy it--at least part of it. There were things inside that made him nervous, I could tell. He wouldn't talk about them, or let me see them."

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”