[Compled] Expedition - Bromric/Demon - 30 April, 1 VC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Unpronouncable/Release a Demon - 30 April,

#441 Post by Zhym »

Have we been able to figure out whether any of the coffer contents are magical, or do we need to RP that out?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#442 Post by Keehnelf »

Oh sorry--yes, everything pulled from the thrice-locked chamber is magical.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#443 Post by Zhym »

Including the gold in the chest and the interlocked rings? Hmmm.

Assuming we don't just want to sell those (a pretty good assumption, I'd guess), that's 545 gold each (rounding up by .06666... per person; I hope you can forgive me) except for Seadu, who gets 433 gold (dropping 3 sp—again, if you care, we can go decimal). Then we have to figure out what to do with the elves' gold, which would be the only magic item for which we didn't get some hint of its function.

I'll add 545 gp to Melvin's sheet for now.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#444 Post by Starbeard »

Sorry for being in and out the past few days, been a little busy.

The distribution is okay with me. Technically the second commandment for Falles is 'to respect the gifts and sacrifices of those who have gone before you, and not to benefit of their fruits without giving due honor.' I guess that means Seadu could take loot from the dead, but only in the pursuit of a cause that Falles considers ennobling, or by using the loot to give some significant recognition to the dead character in some way. In this case, he could take a split of Constance's goods and donate them to something, but he's happy enough simply to let the rest of the party have it.

So that's 2,750xp and 433 1/3gp for Seadu, plus 1/6 cut off the magic elf-coffer (416 2/3gp) if we choose to sell it.

The elf crackerjack box is intriguing, I'm guessing we'll look want to look into it a bit in town before deciding what to do.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#445 Post by Marullus »

Bromric suggests that we commit to placing the elf treasure and rings at a new Chapel to Felles for safekeeping in-trust for the group, and commission a wizard to study it's magical properties in the meantime.

I added 545gp as well - that accounts for the statue chunk and Constance stash?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#446 Post by Zhym »

Melvin would suggest taking it to the Tower of Wendall if you want to know its properties. That's the only place with decent library facilities at the moment.

Besides, the Chapel of Falles doesn't actually exist yet, does it?

Also, past experience shows that join ownership can be problematic. Just ask Orrin about those rings he made everyone promise not to sell then lost to the orcs. Or better yet, don't, if you aren't eager for grumpy brooding.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#447 Post by Marullus »

Bromric doesn't know any wizards but Melvin and Ability, but hasn't heard anything good of Wendall in the tavern. He first asks About if she'd be will to study it, as a shareholder, if the group paid for her room and board in the inn for a month. If not, then he concedes to whomever the group knows.

But yes, precisely - we commit to keeping it in the chapel of Felles, which should be built by the time study is done.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#448 Post by Zhym »

Melvin would want to cash out his share of the gold if the plan is to keep it as a church forever. Assuming he has a share of the gold. But a plan to find out what's the deal with the gold and then mumblemumble hey look over there is a bit too open-ended for Melvin.

The Wendall is a twerp, but I think he's basically honorable as an NPC under the rules of the Order of the Skull.

Then again, Melvin might want Abi working on the coins to he could use Wendall to help with Melvin's own items. :)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#449 Post by Keehnelf »

Abi notes that studying these things in an inn with no supplies will be pretty fruitless, but she's happy to do so if more permanent lodgings can be arranged: she'd be glad, for example, to do it in the Guild if someone would split her membership fee with her. She doesn't plan to go adventuring but wants to set herself up in town well, and not covering the full 75 will make her share of the treasure go that much further.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#450 Post by Marullus »

Bromric agrees to split Abi's costs in exchange for her studying the elven treasure. (She's asking we pay 37 gp between us, anyone else in?)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#451 Post by Zhym »

We're still being a little fuzzy on what we do with this thing if it turns out to be useful. And if a single second-level MU without a laboratory spends 35 weeks studying an item, she will still only have a 50% chance of identifying one property. Who knows how many of us will have died or no longer care by then? I think we should either sell the chest and take the money or allocate the interlocked rings and the gold as two separate treasure shares. Converting the chest to gold would be the easiest.

Besides, the magic might turn out to be a curse or something. ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#452 Post by Marullus »

Bromric recommends keeping it as a communal trust for whomever survives until the properties are known, at which time it can be decided what to do with it. We aren't hurting for other coin on this quest and can afford the wait. Leaving it with Abi as a non-adventuring 1/6 shareholder is fair.

If Melvin is impatient, he is asking that all others give him 83gp each to buy him out of his share, forever forbidding Melvin any say or interest in the future disposition or properties of the treasure. (2,500gp assessors value. Melvin's share is 416gp, divided over five remaining members is 83gp each).

Bromric argues strongly that the chest shouldn't be divided before it's properties are known (as it likely. Has greater value whole than the sum of its parts). He will agree to buy Melvin out and disassociate him if the others do.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#453 Post by Zhym »

Melvin would accept 416 gp for his share of the chest.

For comparison, the game started on March 1 in-game. It is now May 20. About 12 weeks have elapsed in game vs. 23 months real time. With a hiatus of about 11 months, call it 12 months of game play. So, one week in-game per month r/t. And that includes about two to three weeks by which Keehnelf advanced the game at the restart, but time passage will speed up with the new date rules, so call that a wash. If you set Abi to doing nothing but trying to research the coffer at current rates of time passage you'll have a fifty-fifty shot of knowing anything about it by somewhere around February, 2019.

Good luck. :D

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#454 Post by Keehnelf »

My hope is that the new time rules, and the resolution of some major time-sensitive stuff, will allow in-game to pass much more quickly and fluidly than it has in the past--but yes, relying on a very low-level wizard to research your magic items will be a slow process. Every level they gain is a significant advantage time-wise as well.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#455 Post by Zhym »

Yup. Get a third-level MU working in a laboratory (4% chance of success per week) and you cut the 50/50 time down to 17 weeks.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#456 Post by Starbeard »

Seadu is happy with buying into the treasure to keep it from being split up before we know at least something about it.

Now that he's a swanky priest of the third level, Seadu would like to cast Know Alignment on the goods to see if they ping as anything.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#457 Post by Keehnelf »

The Orb and Knives read as Chaotic. The armor and axe are Lawful. Everything else appears unaligned.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#458 Post by Marullus »

On coin - is everyone willing to donate 17gp each for the Bard to ensure you get 50xp? I can write up the Tale this weekend. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#459 Post by Zhym »

Sounds good to Melvin.

I'm still waiting to hear if everyone is okay buying out his share of the elven ransom before I add the gold to his sheet.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#460 Post by Keehnelf »

Abi and Mokatah are fine with it.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”