OOC Discussion

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#381 Post by Zorroroaster »

Tossing a lit torch down the hall and crossing our fingers that it doesn't go out?
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#382 Post by drpete »

Alright... Somebody lay it out. Who goes which way, is there going to be a thrown torch, or a "come at me, bro" or what?

A fight that goes through this round room presents lots of potential opportunity for things like hide in shadows, since there's going to be limited visibility due to the entrance tunnels. A light at an intersection leaves lots of the round room in "shadow".
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#383 Post by kalstone »

Well, here's my proposal. Ranulf, Solaine, Torgyr, Steel and the shield maidens go to the east end of the corridor. The shield maidens set their spears to receive charge. Galen can cast Light either from this position or from the other end. The east end would be the safest, but may not allow Ajax to get behind the skeletons in time. Rudolpho can hide in shadows either in the round room or the west end of the corridor.

Once Galen casts Light, we begin missile fire until the skeletons reach this end. Then Audi and Em make a fighting withdrawal so that Ranulf and Solaine can step in front of them. Rudolpho, Ajax and hopefully Climent attack from the rear whenever they feel it is safe enough.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#384 Post by Dogma »

works for me. Let's do it! Thundercats Ho!

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#385 Post by bobloblah »

Why not? Let's do it.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#386 Post by Zorroroaster »

Thundercats!

By the power of Greyskull!

Let's do it!
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by drpete »

To check if I understand...

Ranulf, Solaine, Torgyr, Steel (with torch), Emm and Audi go to the east end of the round room...

Galen, Ajax and Randolpho go to the south end of the western north-south corridor, so that Galen can cast light at the 4 way intersection... and Randolpho and Ajax can come north to get behind the skeletons.

Once the skeletons are lit up by the light spell, Torgyr (and Solaine? Steel is holding a torch...) will shoot and Emm and Audi will brace for a charge.

Is this the idea?

If this is right, just give me a "setup" order on the main combat team. Is it the usual 4 in the front with Torgyr and Steel (with torch) in the back? How far into the round room do you intend to go? Just Ranulf and Solaine in the 10 foot corridor, or just Steel and Torgyr in the hallway? Do you want to actually enter the round room?

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#388 Post by kalstone »

Could Galen cast the Light halfway between our position and the skeletons (roughly the other side of the circular room)? If I'm measuring the distances correctly, that should illuminate the whole corridor and remove the need for Steel to carry a torch.

Can Audi and Emm set to receive a charge from the back rank? If so, it will be the usual front four. Otherwise, they will be in front and then switch positions to the 2nd rank after melee is engaged.

I think it would be best if we don't enter the circular room. We'll come up to the western edge of it.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#389 Post by bobloblah »

I think the main danger of casting at the far side of the round room is where Galen would have to be; he'd need to be with the rest of the party to cast it there, or in the east-west corridor with the black skeletons. I think it makes more sense for him to cast it on a coin or sling bullet, and the combat group can toss it to the desired location. That also minimises the chances of him being seen down the other corridor and pursued by the black skeletons instead of the party.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#390 Post by kalstone »

Ok. Makes sense. Can Ranulf hold a torch, then hand it to Steel when melee is joined?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#391 Post by Zorroroaster »

"I love it when a plan comes together."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by drpete »

These things can work, but Ranulf can't give Steel a torch while he's fighting in the front rank and Steel is in the third rank.

Lemme know who's going to hold (and throw) the coin. I figure it'd be about as tough as hitting AC 0 with a throw to put it in the right spot. A miss and it'd be thrown out of position.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by Zorroroaster »

Probably whoever has the best Dex bonus? Torgyr has a +2.

Anyone else?

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#394 Post by kalstone »

I would say either Ranulf or one of the shield maidens so that you can be ready to fire your crossbow. The coin only has to get within 50' of them.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by Zorroroaster »

True enough! Ok, go for it.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by drpete »

Alright, I'm good to go with this. Let me know if Galen and Randolpho move from their current spots, or wait there for the combat to start...

Is Ranulf taking the torch and the coin?

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#397 Post by bobloblah »

What do you understand our current spots to be? I'd like Galen to be down the corridor to the south, just out of sight of the four-way intersection around a corner so that we are not seen if and when the black skeletons attack the party.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#398 Post by Dogma »

Once we have the coin in place we won't need the torch, right? Couldn't however is holding it just drop it when the light spell is in place? Downside is if the fight last longer thatn the spell then we are in darkness...

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#399 Post by bobloblah »

Dogma wrote:Once we have the coin in place we won't need the torch, right? Couldn't however is holding it just drop it when the light spell is in place? Downside is if the fight last longer thatn the spell then we are in darkness...
Galen is going to cast the spell on the coin in advance. It can then be hidden in a pocket or pouch (or so I believe; correct me if I'm wrong, Judge). The spell lasts for 7 Turns (70 minutes, or 420 rounds). I hope the fight doesn't go longer than that, especially on play by post, as I intend to retire at 65.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#400 Post by drpete »

If you look back at the tactical maps, Galen is the one in black, and Randolpho is in blue. Their actual locations are kind of flexible, and you can move around with no trouble. They're sort of in the middle of the north edge of the room, as I understood it. I understand you to not be wanting to shine the lantern up the hallway and possibly attract the skeletons, but wanted to know if you get "in position" to zip up the hall, or stay back a bit.

The coin's light will last an hour or so, so no worries there. Leaving the torch back in the room, then?

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”