Re: OOC Discussion

#341 Post by kalstone »

Yeah. I'm ok with that.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#342 Post by bobloblah »

drpete wrote:Edit: This said, if we don't hear from him, I'm going to assume he is continuing to move toward the door and fire at available enemies. It sounds like the current plan is to keep fighting for a round, with Randolpho bringing out his quarterstaff. That about right?
I'd actually rather you didn't assume that. This is a tight spot, and I'd like to try and hear from everybody. If that's not possible, I'd like those of us who are there to shout instructions, rather than assume other PCs just go do something you choose.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by drpete »

bobloblah wrote: I'd actually rather you didn't assume that. This is a tight spot, and I'd like to try and hear from everybody. If that's not possible, I'd like those of us who are there to shout instructions, rather than assume other PCs just go do something you choose.
Well, technically, its follow through with the last instructions of the player, but I hear you. We'll give him some time to figure out what he's going to do, I just don't want this to drag on for a week. For now, assume you "instructed" him and he may or may not listen, and figure out if that impacts you *this* round. My sense is that this round is going to continue without a withdrawal, based on the developing consensus to "stay and fight"... are we just waiting to see what Steel decides, or is there something else that'll determine how people jump *this round*?
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#344 Post by bobloblah »

drpete wrote:Well, technically, its follow through with the last instructions of the player, but I hear you. We'll give him some time to figure out what he's going to do, I just don't want this to drag on for a week. For now, assume you "instructed" him and he may or may not listen, and figure out if that impacts you *this* round. My sense is that this round is going to continue without a withdrawal, based on the developing consensus to "stay and fight"... are we just waiting to see what Steel decides, or is there something else that'll determine how people jump *this round*?
It's not just that. Who has light sources? Galen can't head for the north-western entrance until there's a light source for the eastern melee. What is the Automaton doing? We need Steel to give it new instructions to match the plan (assuming that's what we're going with), and need to know if it can carry the gear and a torch. Are those who haven't posted (i.e., Dogma, Lamech, and barkman) since this discussion happened okay with the plan and their part in it? Maybe they aren't, and maybe they have a better idea. You catch my drift, hopefully.

I understand not wanting this to drag on, but at the same time I don't mind if that means that other players have input (not sure how Zorroroaster and kalstone feel, as the three of us seem to be the most active). The next couple rounds are crucial. I don't mind dying because we made bad decisions, but it's going to leave a bad taste in my mouth if we die because we were rushed.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by drpete »

Galen and Climent (and the oil fire) are the active light sources. Technically, they won't be plunged into darkness because of Galen's actions, so long as the oil fire is burning.

The automaton may (depending on how things go) be "stuck" in attack mode. In any case, the bags are full of 50ish pounds of gear (mostly food, water and torches) each, and need 2 hands to carry, so no, the automaton cannot do torch and bag. If you're about to die, though, the bag may not be that important.

The reason I don't want the planning/discussion for what you do during this round to go on indefinitely is that we are talking about 10 seconds, and if it takes 4 days to figure out what to do in 10 seconds, you're over thinking it. I'm gonna go with whatever we've got by Thursday, if there's no sense that people are good to go before that.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#346 Post by kalstone »

drpete wrote: The reason I don't want the planning/discussion for what you do during this round to go on indefinitely is that we are talking about 10 seconds, and if it takes 4 days to figure out what to do in 10 seconds, you're over thinking it. I'm gonna go with whatever we've got by Thursday, if there's no sense that people are good to go before that.
While this is true, we only have 4 characters who can damage the skeletons right now, and they all have weapons that only do half damage. I think we can afford to do a little more planning to maximize our chances as this is a really dicey situation. That said, I'm fine with going Thursday or earlier if Lamech posts.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by drpete »

But that's just it... you don't seem to be actively planning at this point, we're just sitting around. Assume that Steel is a wild card. I'm giving you a fairly large window to figure out what to do, and the planning/brainstorming seems to have run out of steam.

If Steel turns around, you want to do what this round? In this case give the automaton a torch, and withdraw? Or is everyone continuing to fight, but you want Steel to tell the automaton to grab one of the bags? Or...?

If Steel keeps going, you want to do what this round? Keeping on fighting?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Zorroroaster »

i think we'd planned as much as was possible, but let's just have a couple of contingencies in place depending on what he decides and then wait.

I agree that this is a crucial point in the campaign, I also see the merit of keeping it moving.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by drpete »

So, do I understand properly that the outline of the plan is to hit the east skeletons with all you've got and block the western corridor with protection from evil?

The timing and placement of that sounds pretty critical, so let me know how you want to proceed. There's no sign of the second group of skeletons coming down the hall, yet.

Or is the plan to follow Steel's suggestion to fall back? And to where?

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#350 Post by kalstone »

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the plan is to continue fighting the skeletons in the east as long as there is no sign of the skeletons coming from the west. Once we see the skeletons coming from the west, then we can reassess.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#351 Post by bobloblah »

The plan is this: Ranulf, Solaine, Emm, Audi, and Ajax continue battling the black skeletons to the east. The Automaton picks up a torch from Steel and sticks close enough to the eastern hallway for the melee fighters to see. Galen, Torgyr, and Steel move to the western entrance. Randolpho goes back into the western hallway, hides in shadows, and watches for the approach of the other two black skeletons. When Randolpho sees them, he runs back to the entrance and Galen will cast Protection from Evil, with Torgyr and Steel in front (better AC), Randolpho and Galen behind, as we try and block the western passage. Whatever you do, don't attack them until it's clear they can actually attack us!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by drpete »

bobloblah wrote:The plan is this: Ranulf, Solaine, Emm, Audi, and Ajax continue battling the black skeletons to the east. The Automaton picks up a torch from Steel and sticks close enough to the eastern hallway for the melee fighters to see. Galen, Torgyr, and Steel move to the western entrance. Randolpho goes back into the western hallway, hides in shadows, and watches for the approach of the other two black skeletons. When Randolpho sees them, he runs back to the entrance and Galen will cast Protection from Evil, with Torgyr and Steel in front (better AC), Randolpho and Galen behind, as we try and block the western passage. Whatever you do, don't attack them until it's clear they can actually attack us!
Some snags in this plan at the moment... Steel has no torches. All of his equipment is in a large bag in the southeast corner of the room. The fire in the south end of the room is burning like a torch, so the fighters should be able to see. Hiding in shadows requires "dim light" which you don't have 10 feet away from Galen's lantern in a bare hallway. If Galen doesn't stay in the entrance to the western hallway, Randolpho will be in darkness, unable to see the skeletons.

Steel is in the western entrance, but Randolpho is running out of it to "rally" people. Galen is moving (with lantern) to the western entrance this round?

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#353 Post by bobloblah »

Anyone else can hand Steel a torch while he instructs his Automaton. Randolpho needs to be around the corner to see north up the western hallway anyway (otherwise, how will he see the black skeletons approaching?), and there are shadows around the corner there.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by drpete »

bobloblah wrote:Anyone else can hand Steel a torch while he instructs his Automaton. Randolpho needs to be around the corner to see north up the western hallway anyway (otherwise, how will he see the black skeletons approaching?), and there are shadows around the corner there.
Absolutely true. On all points. I'm just saying that *if* Galen moves to illuminate the hallway, he will reveal Randolpho. The hallway is dark, so he can hide there, and listen for their approach (as they sort of stomp... you heard it before).

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#355 Post by bobloblah »

Are you saying Randolpho cannot hide around the corner from the lantern in the hall?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Zorroroaster »

Perhaps the two of you have a different idea of where he's standing? Where exactly is he?
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#357 Post by bobloblah »

If Galen stands in the room at the entrance to the hallway, can Randolpho not hide just around the corner in the northern leg of the hallway? It should be deeply shadowed by the corner, no?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by drpete »

Hrmm, yeah, I suppose that can work. There would be a bit of a trade off between how well he can see down the hall and whether there are shadows, but that could give him some ability to see down the hall.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#359 Post by bobloblah »

It's hide in shadows, not hide in darkness. It's supposed to be something no one else can do. Even Galen can hide in a dark hall!
;-p
Don't get me wrong... it's your world, we're just living in it.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by drpete »

Basically, as I said before, 10 feet from a lantern, if there's nothing obstructing the light, there are no shadows. You need dim light or (presumably) some kind of obstruction to hide behind. It's not invisibility powers where you can stand right next to a guy holding a lantern and nobody can see you (see p 99 for the actual rules). If Galen is in the room so that you don't shine the light down the hallway, that leaves Randolpho in dark, so he can hide, but he can't see much. There's some middle ground if you're shining the light in a little bit, but it's a tradeoff between seeing down the hall and shadowing Randolpho. If you want to see far down the hall, he'd have to go far down the hall to be hidden.

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”