OOC Discussion

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC Discussion

#361 Post by Dogma »

bobloblah wrote:The plan is this: Ranulf, Solaine, Emm, Audi, and Ajax continue battling the black skeletons to the east. The Automaton picks up a torch from Steel and sticks close enough to the eastern hallway for the melee fighters to see. Galen, Torgyr, and Steel move to the western entrance. Randolpho goes back into the western hallway, hides in shadows, and watches for the approach of the other two black skeletons. When Randolpho sees them, he runs back to the entrance and Galen will cast Protection from Evil, with Torgyr and Steel in front (better AC), Randolpho and Galen behind, as we try and block the western passage. Whatever you do, don't attack them until it's clear they can actually attack us!
The question of Rudolpho hiding aside...I approve this plan. Ranulf will continue to hold the line with the automaton.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#362 Post by kalstone »

What Solaine was trying to say is that if the skeletons are made out of metal, then they may be some sort of construct and technically not evil. Therefore they may not be warded by PfE.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#363 Post by bobloblah »

They don't have to be evil, it wards against enchanted creatures.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#364 Post by bobloblah »

Steel should probably pull the Automaton back (Fighting Withdrawal), with Solaine stepping back in.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#365 Post by drpete »

Yeah, I'm pausing to give Steel a chance to pull the automaton back, if he wants.

As you say, PfE really *should* work on these skeletons. It protects against anything magically constructed, summoned or undead, regardless of alignment. It might be somewhat ambiguous, but though it says "constructed", I don't think it would apply to an automaton, since it's talking about "enchanted" creatures. What do you think?
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#366 Post by bobloblah »

What powers an Automaton? From a modern perspective, it would have to magic. However, were I the Judge, I'd rule an Automaton is not enchanted. Trying to tell me something about the black skeletons?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by drpete »

Lol, no, not trying to say anything. Just contemplating the wording, and wondering if there are loopholes. These skeletons kind of remind me of Terminator, though.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#368 Post by Dogma »

I had picured automatons as being true clock-work type 'robots' and would be powered by steam or some other sort of mechanical engine.

This differentiated them from golems and undead who are powered by a magical life force imbued into non-living material.

I would say PfE wouldn't efect them as they are not evil (I would rule they have no alignment) nor are they 'magical'. But then again...I'm not the DM :)

also, wouldn't an artificer know if an automaton would be effected by PfE? Seems like in the whole history of automaton building this would have come up and would have become passed down knowledge....

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#369 Post by kalstone »

I know you've been describing these as skeletons, but what exactly do they look like? Unless they have motors, gears or something similar, wouldn't they have to be enchanted?

Edit: Since Solaine didn't take an action these last 2 rounds, can I say that she dug a torch out of her backpack and gave it to Steel?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by drpete »

If you and Steel move together, I'm fine with that. Right now, you're on opposite sides of the room.

I'll get a pic of the skeletons. The don't "look" mechanical, but they have kind of a black, metallic look, like they were made out, or coated with some black metal.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#371 Post by kalstone »

So, thoughts on the last skeleton group? We could go to the far eastern end of that corridor and fire missiles down it towards them. If we surprise them, we could get off multiple rounds of fire. As they rush towards us, they would be open to being attacked from behind by Rudolpho and possibly Ajax.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Zorroroaster »

That's a pretty good idea. Depending on their movement rate, we might be able to soften them up pretty nicely.

We might not even need to employ PfE, which would give Galen some other options.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#373 Post by bobloblah »

We're probably not going to get more than a round of missile fire, two at best. If they can run or charge, possibly only one. Still, what better option do we have?

Too bad about the Automaton. That's why I was suggesting a plan to pull it back several rounds ago. They're not actually all that tough. If you look at the costs for one that is sturdy, Steel isn't going to be making one anytime soon: they cost thousands of gold.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by drpete »

Don't disagree, Bob. The automatons can be made tough, but a free, personal automaton is going to be pretty weak. I counted the cost wrong on this one (it was 2 HD, 1 special ability), so a replacement would need to be a step down in power (1 HD, 1 special ability).

That said, Steel did want it to stay in the fight as a "shield".

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#375 Post by kalstone »

I'm assuming there are six in this last group. If they charge, then Audi and Emm can set spears to receive it. Either way, we should be able to go a long way towards taking the first rank out. A good backstab from Rudolpho and an attack from behind by Ajax should make a good dent in the back row. We may even be able to get Climent to pitch in. Then we're just left with two being attacked from both directions at once.

Things probably won't go that smoothly, but I think we've shown we can stand a few rounds of melee with them.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#376 Post by Lamech »

Sorry about the past few days. :oops: I had a short trip to the hospital. Shoulder injury. :( The hospital mostly fixed it. Now its healing nicely! :D

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by drpete »

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, Lamech. Glad to hear it's doing better. :)

Sorry about whacking the automaton. :roll:

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by Zorroroaster »

I agree, sneaking around behind them while they are busy trying to get at Climent is probably the best bet.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by drpete »

As you think about this, think about how you intend to "light them up" to enable you to shoot at them. Somebody's got to get light on them, or you cannot see them.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#380 Post by bobloblah »

Light spell is a possibility.

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”