Chapter 5 - Goblin Tracks

AleBelly
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 5 - Goblin Tracks

#341 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde circles the wolves, waving his sword and shield in the air like he's trying to signal someone far away. AAAAAAAA!! He screams as loud as he can muster, and bares his own oversized teeth threateningly at the canines.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#342 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny pulls a hammer from her belt and throws it at the injured one. She will not close to engage.

Initiative [1d6] = 1
Throwing Hammer [1d20] = 11
Throwing Hammer Damage [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2
and continues with her amazing string of low rolls.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf stays well clear of the attackers and the wolves, taunting them from a distance.

"Yeah! Not so tough now, are you? I didn't THINK so! If one of my people here hits you, it's gonna mess you up sooooo bad! So if they do, you are in trouble! If they can do it, I mean. Hit you. With something sharp. Or hard. Or hard and sharp. Hells yeah!"
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Korok drops the wolf onto the ground, not nearly as hard as Ilfrien had before since he believes Hellebore wants it for later, and hefts out a javelin. He chucks the small spear towards one of the wolves but it seems his earlier injuries caused him aim to be off, his shoulder searing in pain from an earlier bite or stab wound...

Javelin(Ranged): [1d20] = 2, Damage: S/M[1d6] = 6, L[1d4] = 3
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by AleBelly »

Arnulf, Hyde and Angus yell, taunt and otherwise distract the wolves as the others move in to attack. Ilfrien charges forward, metal clanking. With a deft slash of the sword she opens the throat of one as it slumps into the thin snow, dead. The other two wolves attack the elf at the same time! One gets its forelegs up her plate mail as the wounded wolf lunges. Its jaws clamp around the snout of the other wolf and it yelps in pain fumble!

Korok rushes forward and hurls a javelin into melee. It whizzes three inches to the left of Ilfrien's head. Hellebore charges forward. He short legs take her to within 10' of the fight good thing too, otherwise fumblerino!

Yenny's even stumpier legs take her to within 30' of melee. She doesn't get the chance to hurl a hammer.

Hyde, Angus and Arnulf see Chet approaching them, about 150' away. He's moving quickly, sack over his shoulder.

Two wolves, both wounded, remain. Actions?

Date: 27 Glowinghearth, Year 42
Time: 12:09
Conditions: 16F, clear, sharp wind from east at 13 mph
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny’s spell through 12:15, wolves entangled through 12:11, Hyde under effects of speed potion
Light bearers: sun
Injuries: Hellebore lightly wounded; Chet moderately wounded; Yenny, Korok seriously wounded; Arnulf, Hyde and Angus critically wounded

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Zhym »

Angus runs to interpose himself between the wolves and Beelzebub. Inasmuch as its possible to calm a terrified mule, Angus will try to.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien's goal is to finish off all the wolves this round, prioritizing the less wounded looking one.

PbP Forum code: Initiative [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

PbP Forum code: Longsword attack (thac0 13) [1d20] = 4, damage [1d8+7] = 8+7 = 15 or [1d12+7] = 1+7 = 8

So embarrassing...

PbP Forum code: Crit check [1d100] = 34

PbP Forum code: Longsword attack (thac0 13) [1d20] = 10, damage [1d8+7] = 8+7 = 15 or [1d12+7] = 5+7 = 12

PbP Forum code: Crit check [1d100] = 57

Well, that 10 should finish one of them anyway...and is Ilfrien still miraculously uninjured? What she lacks in practical killing power she more than makes up for in durability..

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by AleBelly »

plate mail and luck make a great combination!

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#349 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny looks on disgusted and unable to do anything useful. If the last wolf is destroyed, she starts to sort out the items that were stored on the pony and getting what she can back into her pack.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde also gets between the wolves and the surviving horses.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Keehnelf »

As she hacks at the wolves, Ilfrien is nearly screaming: "when I tell the injured to keep clear, that means every damned one of you! Don't jump into the middle of a fight I might have to drag your sodden, piss-stained corpses back out of instead of doing my job!"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by AleBelly »

enn.in.me wrote:Yenny looks on disgusted and unable to do anything useful. If the last wolf is destroyed, she starts to sort out the items that were stored on the pony and getting what she can back into her pack.
Yenny can attack this round, she just couldn't get in range the previous one.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#353 Post by enn.in.me »

I figured. But didn't want to throw into melee or enter it. If there is an unengaged target at some point, she'll throw.

Initiative [1d6] = 2
Hammer toss [1d20] = 12
Hammer damage [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by Marullus »

The warriors crowding the last two injured foes, Hellebore kneels by the massive, bound wolf and checks its health and its bindings. She eyes Beezelbub, judging if the mule could carry the beast from here.

She remains wary, eying the field behind them, prepared to recast entangle as soon as the first spell is wearing off and pursuers come again.

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#355 Post by CAI4 »

Chet continues to walk towards the group. He emits a low, guttural growl at the two battling wolves. His tone rises and falls. The ugly scar on the side of his face contracts, pulling back lips and showing crooked white teeth.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by AleBelly »

Ilfrien calls off the others as Angus and Hyde make brave (foolhardy?) attempts to protect the pack animals. The wolves, wounded but agile, easily dodge the elf's first strike. They attack, but the elf is equal to the task and the canines fail to even touch her armor.

With a roar, she skewers yet another, cleaving its skull with her muzzle. The last wolf stands its ground, defending its kill.

Chet rejoins the group as Hellebore inspects the bound, dazed wolf.

Actions?

Time: 12:10
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny’s spell through 12:15, wolves entangled through 12:11, Hyde under effects of speed potion
Light bearers: sun
Injuries: Hellebore lightly wounded; Chet moderately wounded; Yenny, Korok seriously wounded; Arnulf, Hyde and Angus critically wounded

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by Keehnelf »

"RAAAAAA!" Ilfrien screams at the last remaining wolf, a guttural roar that emanates deep in her belly and makes her sound half-animal herself. Her face is twisted in inhuman contortions to let the sound flow more easily, and as she advances on the wolf she seems almost inclined to drop to all fours. "I'm gonna eat you for dinner!"

She pauses for just a moment, perhaps giving the wolf a chance to reconsider its folly, before she closes for the kill.

PbP Forum code: Initiative [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

PbP Forum code: Longsword attack (thac0 13) [1d20] = 8, damage [1d8+7] = 2+7 = 9 or [1d12+7] = 9+7 = 16

PbP Forum code: Crit check [1d100] = 11

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Zhym »

Angus stays by Beelzebub, wondering when he and his bow Bloody Useless won't have so much in common.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by AleBelly »

In the throes of bloodlust, Ilfrien roars at the final wolf. It snarls, looking for an opening, but its tail between its legs betrays the fear in its heart. The elf finishes the final wolf with her sword and it falls next to its companions, vacant eyes set above a frozen sneer.

Applehead's carcass continues to steam from three wounds. The wolves made little progress in devouring her. Angus, Ilfrien and Arnulf eventually manage to calm their mounts. The others look to the east and realize that the entangled wolves, freed by now, do not seem intent on pursuit. Chet confirms this, telling them that the wolves threatened to make meals of all of them if they dared return to the lair. He couldn't understand what the goblins yelled at him.

The dazed wolf begins to get its bearings, but is bound fast at legs and snout. Yenny gathers her possessions from Applehead. Her bedroll needs a cleaning and will likely be stained red for the remainder of its existence.

Perhaps the more introspective reflect now. Though pushed to their limit and badly injured, the party neutralized about three dozen goblins and nearly half as many wolves.

Time: 12:14
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: Sun, which sets in 4 hours

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by Zhym »

"Awright," says Angus, "let's get back to town. I reckon that was a good start, but we should come back before they have a chance to rebuild their defenses. With a healer, if'n we can find one."

Did we actually manage to come away with any loot?

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”