Action Thread 10

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 10

#81 Post by rredmond »

Day 15 – late morning the stables

Nothing hinders your movement to the northernmost building, passing the tower. This building is pretty obviously the stables, and is barely standing. Where most of the outpost is made of stone, the stables are predominantly wood, and the weathering and deterioration is substantial. Just the slightest of breezes seems to cause concerning creaking sounds, that seems to indicate that the whole thing is under strain.

Also there's kind of a funky smell... maybe mold, maybe the slightest tinge of rotten flesh. Either way it's unpleasant, not in any debillitating manner, but certainly unpleasant.

Quick peeks in the windows (open holes in the wall) show this definitely was a stable. Old hay scattered about except for the northeast. Poking the torch in you can see that there is a pile of hay in that stable. It's piled up to cover the floor, but the hay is blackened and looks almost wet. That's where most of the hay is, other than that stable, from what you can tell through the door and windows is the place is cleaned out and deserted.

HPs: Jeloon - 24/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 36/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (25 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-0/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-4/5, 2-4/4
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#82 Post by Alethan »

"Blech!" Till exclaims as he sticks his head in the doorway of the stables to get a better look. "That's bloody disgusting! If it weren't for the smoke it would produce, I'd say this place would benefit from a good burning. I wonder if the stable with the blackened hay is where those ghouls slept, maybe? I suppose they could have picked up something or other over time. But it might be something completely different and even more nasty... Anyone dreadfully opposed to examining the stables further?"

Till waits to hear from the majority of the party before doing anything. He remains ready, however, with sword drawn and a lit torch in his left hand.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#83 Post by migellito »

"I don't think any of us should go in there. I think we should check the other buildings, then come back and set this one ablaze. From outside."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#84 Post by Alethan »

Till nods in agreement on Jeloon's idea of not entering the structure at all.

But he raises an eyebrow at the suggestion of burning the building.

"A fire like that will draw attention to our location, either with the smoke during the day or the light of the fire at night... But you're right. I don't have a good feeling about this building. Let's check out the two smaller buildings to the west of the tower. Then we'll see what the tower holds and decide what to do about this... thing."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Argennian »

Yosef takes his roving eyes off the tower and unexplored remainder of the compound to quickly inspect the barely-standing edifice. He scowls at the rickety structure, especially the defiled pile of straw inside, turning his eyes back to their constant roving reconnoiter. "So much for a proper stable for our beasts of burden. Judging by the eminating stench, it very well could be the home of those undead that attacked our camp. I would hope there to be no more of them or... any other devilry about. I, too, would argue in favor of burning this... thing down, but for Till's points about the fire and smoke it would emanate, even at dusk or night. I wonder if the denizens of the old walled city would see the smoke from here? Regardless, let us finish our sweep of the compound and tower and then decide what should be done. Probably would not take much to just flatten the entire structure. I do, however, wonder if there might be any clues or other such items within? Let us search the rest of this place and then decide what course to take!"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by rredmond »

Besides the tower, there is the two western buildings left.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#87 Post by Alethan »

"On to the two western buildings, then..."
Till leads the way to the smaller buildings west of the main tower.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#88 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:"Blech!" I wonder if the stable with the blackened hay is where those ghouls slept, maybe? I suppose they could have picked up something or other over time. But it might be something completely different and even more nasty... Anyone dreadfully opposed to examining the stables further?"[/dialog]

Till waits to hear from the majority of the party before doing anything. He remains ready, however, with sword drawn and a lit torch in his left hand.
As they move on, Bruard says "I'm not sure ghouls even need to sleep." He pauses for a moment, then continues "I agree that this place should be burnt to the ground, but that's not the best plan of action at this time." He sniffs the air and rumples his nose at the foul stench.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#89 Post by Alethan »

"Ah, by the way, Bruard," Till says as he stops and pulls the bone scroll tube out of his pack, "You might want this for that new scroll of yours! It should keep it nice and safe until we need it."

Till hands the bone scroll tube that held the map to the giant's tomb over to Bruard.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by rredmond »

Day 15 – late morning

Walking from the stables you come to the most northernmost building. It's a squat, stone building, featuring the one door (which lies in rubble at the threshold) and two front windows, both completely gone. A single barrel can be seen next to the south wall. Without getting too close you can see that the inside is littered with ruined cots, chairs, a table and the ceiling is obscured by webs.

It's at this point, 2 or 3 yards from the door, that I assume the party stops.

WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (23 minutes), 40' radius.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#91 Post by Alethan »

Yep, the party stops.

Till shakes his head. "More damned spiders... Let's not get surprised by anything in that other building south of us, so two of us should keep an eye on that building while the rest of us make sure this one is cleared."

OOC: Till definitely has the best saving throw vs. poison (7), with Bruard coming in a close second (9), so I think he should be the advanced person for this task. Maybe Yosef can cover from one of the windows with his spear?

Till, torch in his left hand and gleaming sword in his right, slowly enters the doorway after a precursory look to make sure nothing is immediately inside the door on the floor, sides, or ceiling (that he can see, anyway). As he steps into the doorway, he'll thrust the burning torch upwards to fend off any immediate responses from spiders assumed to inhabit the structure. If nothing happens, he'll try and thrust the torch into any webs he can to burn them off and see if that generates a response. He is cautious and on guard, fully expecting spiders to be in this building.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#92 Post by migellito »

Jeloon readies her bow and covers Till as he checks the room.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Argennian »

migellito wrote:Jeloon readies her bow and covers Till as he checks the room.
Yosef takes one last quick look around at the other western building and tower and moves to a position where he can also cover Till. "I am out of magic missiles, Till. Be careful!"

Alethan wrote:...OOC: Till definitely has the best saving throw vs. poison (7), with Bruard coming in a close second (9), so I think he should be the advanced person for this task. Maybe Yosef can cover from one of the windows with his spear?...
OOC: Just an fyi - Yosef gave up the spear to Van so that he could have the magical Handy Haversack! :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#94 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:
migellito wrote:Jeloon readies her bow and covers Till as he checks the room.
Yosef takes one last quick look around at the other western building and tower and moves to a position where he can also cover Till. "I am out of magic missiles, Till. Be careful!"

Alethan wrote:...OOC: Till definitely has the best saving throw vs. poison (7), with Bruard coming in a close second (9), so I think he should be the advanced person for this task. Maybe Yosef can cover from one of the windows with his spear?...
OOC: Just an fyi - Yosef gave up the spear to Van so that he could have the magical Handy Haversack! :)
Arrows it is, then! :) And no worries on the MM. ;)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by rredmond »

Day 15 – early afternoon - Yup Spiders
Round 1

We'll assume that Yosef takes a window and Jeloon takes a window with their arrows. Both can get off an arrow without "firing into melee" because of the number of spiders. I just re-reviewed OSRIC's missile combat rules, and I like it, though I'm going to give an extra bonus of +1 to initiative. So Jeloon will get to shoot one segment before initiative, while Yosef will get to shoot two segments prior (due to his DEX). If you want to take that second shot, it'll depend on what's going on, but likely we'll have to look at that as "into melee".

As soon as Till walks in the door, he is unsurprised by 4 spiders that drop down to attack. He is dismayed though to find that they are the larger variant of the commander's quarters as opposed to the smaller of the towers.

Initiative please, and then actions from all. This is Round 1 - it would be a double attack round for Jeloon and Derek if they were using swords, but that will have to likely wait for Round 3 at this point.

The spiders, all four, head toward Till, who is ready with torch and sword.

Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (23 minutes), 40' radius.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#96 Post by Alethan »

"As soon as I get in the doorway, if someone can get some oil on those blighters, I'll light them up!" Till grunts as he backs up to the doorway, swinging at any spider what gets close enough for a blow.

Initiative [1d6] = 4

To Hit, Shortsword+1 [1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11 (Hits AC 8)

If that hits...
Damage, Shortsword+1 (Small/Medium) [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#97 Post by Vokarius »

Derek will head towards the spiders.
[1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13
and
[1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15

Damage if they hit:
[1d8+4] = 2+4 = 6
and
[1d8+4] = 2+4 = 6

"GODS I HATE SPIDERS!!!!"

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Argennian »

"Danger! Look out Till!" cries Yosef as he spots movement within the edifice, stating the obvious as he lets fly with his already nocked arrow...

Yosef's 1st arrow at top of round:
[1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12 (hits AC6)

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=3440

Arrow damage vs sm/med creatures:
[1d6] = 2

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=3441

OOC: Yosef will only shoot his 2nd arrow if he can get it off before the spiders actually engage Till. He will not take a chance firing into melee and hitting Till. If he cannot safely fire his 2nd arrow, Yosef will immediately drop the bow to the side and draw forth his last vial of lamp oil, preparing to throw it when he can.

Yosef's 2nd arrow vs spiders (only if possible!):
[1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8 (hits AC10)

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=3442

Bloody rubbish! Wont bother rolling damage for that brick. Guess I'm hoping there's no chance for this shot... :roll:

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#99 Post by migellito »

Jeloon fires at one of the spiders!

Short Bow Attack: [1d6] = 3 damage | [1d20] = 8 from thaco17 = AC9

Probably missing..

She drops her bow and draws sword and shield.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#100 Post by Alethan »

(Not sure if we can all get an attack in or not... let us know if you're waiting on something, Ron.)

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”