Re: Action Thread 10

#61 Post by Vokarius »

"It probably summons spiders."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#62 Post by Alethan »

Till raises an eye brow at the prospect.

"As long as I could control them... it might not be a bad thing. But I was hoping for something more along the lines of a Ring of Invisibility," he says with a wink.

"Och, the things I could do with that and my boots..." he continues, wistfully.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by rredmond »

Day 15 – late morning the commanders quarters

You all see Bruard smile as he does indeed understand the writings on the scroll.

The ring is interesting in that it has several bands of color. The center is a circle of white, surrounded by a band of red, surrounded by a band of brown, surrounded by a band of black. The circle in the center is solid white, but the bands are just that, a band of color around the circle, in that order.

There doesn't seem to be anything else of use in this room.

HPs: Jeloon - 24/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 36/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 31 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (25 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-0/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-4/5, 2-4/4
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by Alethan »

Till stares at the ring for a bit, trying to figure out the meaning of the different bands of colors.

After a minute, he says,"Well... I've heard of rings that protect you from fire - normal and magical. Maybe this could be one of them? With the white in the middle symbolizing safety and the red... symbolizing fire? The brown and black are... burnt things?"

He shrugs, "It's a reach, but that's all I got. I guess one of us could just put it on and try it. In the end, we aren't going to know what it is until one of us does..."

(Per OSRIC manual, pg 346, "With the exception of a wish spell, the only way to determine the function of a magic ring is to put it on.")

"I doubt it's one of those cursed rings... why would someone keep a cursed ring in a secret compartment in a desk drawer? Wouldn't they just destroy it, instead?" He pauses. "Wait a minute... Bruard, did you understand that scroll? If so, what was it for? Maybe the scroll accompanying the ring will give us some clue as to the demeanor of the previous owner."

Till looks like he's about ready to just put the ring on his finger (opposite hand of the one he uses for his Ring of Protection +1)...

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#65 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:"Wait a minute... Bruard, did you understand that scroll? If so, what was it for? Maybe the scroll accompanying the ring will give us some clue as to the demeanor of the previous owner."

Till looks like he's about ready to just put the ring on his finger (opposite hand of the one he uses for his Ring of Protection +1)...
Bruard replies: "It looks like a scroll with snake charm, locate object, and neutralize poison" Bruard looks up at Till and smiles.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#66 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:Bruard replies: "It looks like a scroll with snake charm, locate object, and neutralize poison" Bruard looks up at Till and smiles.
"Excellent news, Bruard! It's too bad that last one is a one-shot spell, but it's better than nothing and certainly it could be handy! And the spells hardly seem sinister, so I think that improves the odds of our ring here being beneficial in nature, wouldn't you agree?"

OOC: Is the business end (er... the face?) of the ring flat? Or more like a cabochon (domed)?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote: OOC: Is the business end (er... the face?) of the ring flat? Or more like a cabochon (domed)?
Slightly domed, with the white center raised just a litte bit extra. Like a little dome on the dome.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#68 Post by Vokarius »

"Just put it on my finger. No pain, no gain."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Argennian »

Yosef continues to hold station with vigilant eyes and nocked arrow by the entrance of the building the party is currently in. He hears the others discussing something but is unsure what that is and is afraid to leave his position, especially with the amount of activity the've already encountered within the tower compound. He whispers loudly back towards the entrance of the inner (commander's) room.

"What is happening in there? Is everyone alright? What did you discover?" he asks, ears straining for reply. :)

OOC: Ron, just wanted to confirm that when Yosef went back to get a visual exchange with the hirelings and give the 'all clear' hand signal, that they returned the same 'all clear' as well?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by rredmond »

Aye. They did. They look totally unfussed.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:Yosef continues to hold station with vigilant eyes and nocked arrow by the entrance of the building the party is currently in. He hears the others discussing something but is unsure what that is and is afraid to leave his position, especially with the amount of activity the've already encountered within the tower compound. He whispers loudly back towards the entrance of the inner (commander's) room.

"What is happening in there? Is everyone alright? What did you discover?" he asks, ears straining for reply. :)
"Aye," Till replies in volume just loud enough for Yosef to hear, but not loud enough to carry throughout the complex. "We've... umm..."

Till thinks for a second about how worried his friend of many years would be if he knew Till had found a ring and was going to try it on seemingly without a care as to the consequences. In truth, he has thought the consequences through and deemed the excitement of discovery to be greater than the risk of it being cursed.

In a quieter voice, he speaks to Derek, Bruard, and Jeloon, "Look, I don't want Yosef to worry about this. He has enough on his mind as it is! So... I'm doing this for him."

Again in a louder voice to Yosef, "We've found a scroll that Bruard can read. And..."

Till puts the ring on.

"...And a ring."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by rredmond »

Day 15 – late morning the commanders quarters

Till watches as his comrades wince in anticipation. And then... nothing happens.

There are no discernible changes to the ring or Till.

HPs: Jeloon - 24/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 36/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 31 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (25 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-0/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-4/5, 2-4/4

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#73 Post by Alethan »

Till stares at the others for a second, not moving...

"Soooo... you guys can still see me?" He sighs and takes the ring off.

"Well, maybe it only works for certain people, like if you use magic or something." He turns to the other end of the room and says, "Yosef, can you come here for a minute?"

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:... He turns to the other end of the room and says, "Yosef, can you come here for a minute?"
Yosef glances over toward the commander's quarters with an anticipative and somewhat nervous look to his visage. "Jeloon, Derek... could one of you come over and cover the compound with your bow in my absense?" he queries, not wanting to have something occur while he's not watching.

Once he is relieved, he'll sling his bow and make his way over to where Till and the others are gathered.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#75 Post by migellito »

Jeloon nods and covers Yosef's position.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#76 Post by Alethan »

When Yosef makes it back to the group, Till explains what they've found. He also confesses that he's tried the ring on and nothing appeared to happen.

(Of course... this could have been because of the % chance that a halfling can try on a magical ring and it won't work; same for elves and dwarves; so maybe one of the humans should try it on? :) But... let's start with this, first...)

"So I don't know if it just didn't work for me or if it simply isn't even magical..."
He passes the ring over to Yosef.

"Maybe when we have a chance, we should see if you or Bruard can check it for magical properties? If it is magical, then maybe it only works for certain people. So you could then try it on if you wanted. Or maybe it only reveals its powers when the situation manifests it. Either way, let's get on with our search of the buildings."

Till leads the group out of the building and up to the entrance of the north building. He'll look inside for a quick peek before committing the party to entering it.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by rredmond »

Bonus too, if you tried on a Cursed ring and it didn't work, then you'd be able to remove it and know that it was cursed.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#78 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Bonus too, if you tried on a Cursed ring and it didn't work, then you'd be able to remove it and know that it was cursed.
Yep, I'd thought of that, as well. So if I do end up with a cursed ring on, I just have to put myself in the situation where the curse kicks in for as long as it takes it to NOT work, then I can yank it off and throw it away like a used tissue! Yet another reason why Till should be the party ring-trier-onner. :)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Argennian »

Yosef consciously keeps his brow from furrowing and frown from forming at the news that Till already tried on the mysterious-looking, unidentified ring. His first impulse is to respectfully chide his halfling companion for taking undo risk but instead he just smiles in relief and puts his hand on Till's shoulder. "Yes, my young and fearless friend, we will... investigate it further later on this evening. Mayhap tis not even magical after all?" Yosef takes the ring and, without further inspection, places it in his small belt pouch.

The elf then takes up his normal position in the marching order with bow and arrow to hand and nods his readiness to move out the others.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#80 Post by migellito »

Jeloon backs Till up with her bow, as before.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”