Action Thread 10

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 10

#1 Post by rredmond »

Exploring the Gate Towers and etc.
Alethan wrote:Till lights up the lamp so he can make a more careful observation of the inside of the two gate towers before they move on to the eastern building.

He'll look for any remains or indication of where the spiders might dump the remains of their kills and search that area for anything of interest (treasure, items, etc).

When they're done thoroughly examining the guard towers, and Yosef is stationed on the top of one of them, they'll move to the eastern most building.

(What was the total spider count there, Ron? For posterity (and updating the kill thread)...)
FYI - There are two torches currently burning on the ground in the tower. And there were 12 spiders, 6 from each tower, and less of a nuisance than I thought! :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 10

#2 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Exploring the Gate Towers and etc.
Alethan wrote:Till lights up the lamp so he can make a more careful observation of the inside of the two gate towers before they move on to the eastern building.

He'll look for any remains or indication of where the spiders might dump the remains of their kills and search that area for anything of interest (treasure, items, etc).

When they're done thoroughly examining the guard towers, and Yosef is stationed on the top of one of them, they'll move to the eastern most building.

(What was the total spider count there, Ron? For posterity (and updating the kill thread)...)
FYI - There are two torches currently burning on the ground in the tower. And there were 12 spiders, 6 from each tower, and less of a nuisance than I thought! :)
Ah, ok, then obviously Till won't light the lamp if the torches are burning.

In that case, Till uses the light from a torch to more thoroughly examine the two guard towers.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard cleans the spider goo from his weapon and armor the best he can. "Good job, friends, yet we must continue with caution, for their poison felt strong to me."
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:Bruard cleans the spider goo from his weapon and armor the best he can. "Good job, friends, yet we must continue with caution, for their poison felt strong to me."
Yosef also cleans off his longsword and readjusts himself, nodding his agreement to Bruard's words.

"Aye, well done! Especially to Jeloon for thinking of lighting those torches before we moved into the towers! I am thankful we did not suffer any more severe... repercussions from those arachnoids!"

The elf will then move over to recover his shortbow and the arrow he dropped. He'll immediately turn and keeps his attention on the main tower and other edifices, especially the open windows and doorways, whilst the others search through the detrius of the two watch towers.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Day 15 – late morning

The party is able to check both towers at this point and, to Till's disgust, the parapets have only animal bones and nothing more valuable.

Both towers have an unsteady wood ladder (due to age) and the inner walkway (about 2 1/2 feet wide) goes fully around the tower, but look to be rotten and unstable as the ladders. The bottom areas of each tower, both inside and out, do not seem to hold any secret entrances, exits, or holes of any kind.

The rest of the enclosure remains quiet after the noise of the battle with the spiders.

HPs: Jeloon - 24/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 36/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 31 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (51 minutes), 40' radius; Torch (51 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-1/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-4/5, 2-4/4
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

Till checks the soundness of the ladders and platforms and says, "Not sure if it's safe to spend much time up there, Yosef. If you don't feel safe up there, then just come with us and take the rear point."

Till passes one of the lit torches to Bruard and leads the group (of 5 or 6, depending on what Argennian wants to do) to the eastern building.

Torch in left hand and drawn short sword in right, Till advances into the eastern structure, checking walls and ceiling as he goes, looking for more spiders or signs of spiders (webs, detritus, etc.). If he doesn't see any immediate threats, he'll also examine the floor of the structure for signs of regular activity (tracks, paths, disturbances).

He'll slowly make his way to the back of the room where the doorway leads to a second room in the building.

(Will wait for search/examination results before going forward.)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Till checks the soundness of the ladders and platforms and says, "Not sure if it's safe to spend much time up there, Yosef. If you don't feel safe up there, then just come with us and take the rear point."
Yosef backs up to the tower that Till is at and assesses the poor condition of the ladder and platform, nodding his head in the affirmative. "Agreed, Till. I will move forward with the group," offers the elf as he slings his bow and replaces the arrow in the quiver. He will then draw his sword and prepare to move forward at rearguard next to Bruard.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Ummm... any other players want to post anything? Or is the current plan fine?

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by migellito »

Jeloon nods and motions Till forward.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Argennian »

Yosef adjusts his gear and again dons his mostly-emotionless elven mask, nodding his readiness to Till and the others!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

That's plenty of time for people to chime in. Let's move forward.

Till is in the east building, examining ceiling and walls for signs of spiders, then examining the floor for tracks or any signs of activity. He will make his way to the back of the room and try to peer into the next room before opening the door fully.

After the door is opened, he'll again examine ceiling and walls for signs of spiders before he even enters the room.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Argennian »

Yosef decides to sheath his sword and get back out his short bow, keeping an arrow at the ready. He'll move up with the others to the doorway/entrance of each building the party inspects but will keep most of his concentration on the courtyard, the tower and other unexplored edifices in case anything presents itself.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by migellito »

Jeloon moves along about 5 feet behind Till.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by rredmond »

The eastern building is long. But about 25' back from the main door is a single door on the south wall. The walls of this building appear much more solid than elsewhere, though all the windows are smashed out.

This front area is completely empty of all furniture. The door is not locked, and actually a little open. Prying it slowly and carefully open to peer in the room Till can see that there's a bed, table, chair and desk in there from the light coming in the broken window.

Oh yeah, also there's lots of animal bones on the floor, and webs hanging from the ceiling. Looks like some animals hanging encased in webs too, both big and small animals. He shivers a bit, but yep, definitely webbing throughout the ceiling area. Nothing else appears to be inside or moving.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

Till relays the information to the rest of the group.

Does it appear to be similar webbing as what was by the front gate? Or is it different? Thicker and stronger looking?

Till holds the torch in the room so the smoke coming off it goes into the smaller room and not the larger one. He also wants to get a better look at the webs in the ceiling.

If he touches the torch to a strand of web, does it actually catch fire? Or does it do something more like shrivel up and disappear? He's trying to gauge the danger of just thrusting the torch up into the webbing to see if it quickly burns out and reveals anything within or if there is a chance it might burn heavily and cause structural damage/create a large column of smoke that would attract unwanted attention.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by migellito »

Jeloon readies her sword in case anything gets smoked out.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Argennian »

Yosef looks back worriedly into the edifice as Till relays what he sees to the party.

If the structure they're currently searching is made completely of stone, especially the roof, the elf will cry out in a lowered voice, "Burn the webs out, Till!"

If the roof is wood or thatch, he'll simply respond with, "Be careful!"

(OOC: not sure from the current description if this is a stone edifice with a wood/thatch roof or if the entire structure is stone?)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

Day 15 – late morning

Weirdly enough, there was no webbing at the gate towers. The entire structure is stone.

The webbing is thick and strong looking.

The smoke goes inward and Till does see movement in the upper areas of the ceiling. It's hard to tell from the door. To really touch the webbing he'll have to get into the room. The window is on the western wall, and the webs are concentrated in the north western corner.

HPs: Jeloon - 24/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 36/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 31 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (41 minutes), 40' radius; Torch (41 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-1/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-4/5, 2-4/4

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

"Bugger... there's something bigger in there..."

He thinks for a moment.

"I wonder why there weren't any webs by the gate towers. You think... you think maybe that was like a nursery or something, with baby spiders, and this here is the momma?" He shakes his head. "I really don't want to go in there with some big monster spider climbing about over my head... oh, hold on a second."

Making sure one of the others has a torch handy and lit, Till says, "Be right back, gents (and lady)... Step back and make a protective half circle here." He marks in the dirt about 10' from the doorway. "Keep an eye on the doorway and... kill anything that comes out, ok?"

Till quickly exits the building and moves around to the western side, sneaking up to the window he assumes belongs to the back room of the building. He'll carefully move his torch into the window, attempting to see how the web reacts to fire.

(What kind of roof does this structure have, Ron? Stone? Thatch? Assuming a thatch roof would have rotted away long ago, it's most likely stone, but confirmation would be good.)

If he can reach more of the web, and if the roof is indeed stone, then he'll move the torch into more webbing to see if he can catch it on fire.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by migellito »

Jeloon unslings her bow, nocks an arrow, and takes aim at the movement up in the rafters.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”