Militia House (48)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Militia House (48)

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

This large wooden building is rather plain looking and devoid of any signage indicating its purpose. The place looks kept up and the grounds are obviously tended to by someone.

There are two normal wooden doors that lead into each side of the main structure and one back door that leads to the captains private quarters in the rear of the building.

There are no guards at any of the doors and no sign of life anywhere outside of the building.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Militia House (48)

#2 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

Before heading to the Militia House, the ranger will purchase a simple black dress (assuming black is the color of one in mourning) and a handkerchief. She will head back to her room and change leaving her armor and sword behind. She will take her cloak and dagger* and head over to find the Captain.

She will attempt to well up some tears and knock on the doors (the left one if it matters).

*Pun somewhat intended.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

An extremely gruff voice answers Epi's knock on the single door in the back of the building.

Ya? What is your business?

She sees a curtain move on the only window on this side of the building, indicating that someone may have just checked her out.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"Please sir, I'm looking for the Captain."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A large, ugly, middle aged man opens the door with a scowl on his face. His expression turns to confusion when he sees your dress.

Aye! Ye found him! I'm Captain Teneel. Who are you and what is so important that you have come here so early?

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"I'm sorry to disturb you so early. I'm looking for information on my husband...He came to your town four moons ago and he never returned." She dabs at her eyes with her handkerchief trying to look forlorn, "I've heard that this has occurred with others and, was it Steve?, who was investigating but then he vanished. Please help me, I need to know what became of him."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Captain Teneel looks down at the sobbing Epi with feigned pity.

Oh? Your husband you say eh? I think I know what's going on here. He smiles a toothy grin.

Would you like to come into my office here, so I can take down your information?

The burly man winks at you a couple of times as he steps aside to let you pass by him. It is fairly obvious that he thinks you are someone else.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A look at the Captain.
image.jpg
image.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 836 times

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"My good sir, I may have been born at night, but it was not last night. I'm seeking information on my husband's disappearance not looking to temporarily replace him. Perhaps we'd best talk outside to enjoy this beautiful morning."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Captain Taneel looks a little embarrassed by his mistake.

Oh, I......I......I see. Forgive me madam, I.... I.....yes, we can talk out here.

What is your husbands name? I'm sure this whole thing will turn out to be a big misunderstanding. Where did you say you were from again? I pretty much run this town so, rest assured that you have come to the right place.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"His name is Riemann, a fur trapper from the from the Vesve Forest. He came here four moons back to sell some firs and buy some things...He has not returned...so I have followed after to find him or what became of him." Epi pauses to wipe her eyes, "I've heard tales of vanishings, please tell me you know what became of him...I mean where he is..." She breaks down, crying into her handkerchief.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Now, now. Please take it easy Miss........wife of Riemann. He gets closer and tries to comfort you by patting your head.

As I said, I am the towns constable and I will get to the bottom of this for you.

So, he was here for market day then? Selling his wares? I can't say that I remember a fur dealer being here, but that's not to say he wasn't. I just don't recall it, that's all.

What does he look like? What is his build? I have a few men under my control here and I will spread the word to see if anyone's seen anything. If there is information about him anywhere, we will be able to find it.

I can also assure you that, what you've heard about others vanishing is rumors at best. I run a pretty tight ship here and if there were something going on, I would know about it!

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"Well he was not as big as you, though taller than me. Maybe 5' 10" tall, slight build, brown hair, with beautiful blue eyes." She looks up as if thinking of him.

"You say there is nothing to these vanishings? I heard the prior constable, Steve something or other, was investigating...but then he too disappeared. What happened to him?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Steve was the last sheriff in town. I didn't know him. I think the pressure of the job got to him because he just walked away from his life and family.

Some may say that it's suspicious but, there is nothing I can do about it because we have no idea where he went off to.

Say, did your husband frequent Pitchforks tavern a lot? I've got my own suspicions about that place. I've been watching it a lot lately and there seems to be some kind of shady business going on in there. Is it possible he had some dealings with the wrong people?

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"Pitchforks Tavern? I don't know where my Riemann went...I've never been in this city before...we never discussed where he might go." Epi shakes her head.

After a pause she continues, "So this Steve just vanished? But is that not what the rumors say about people around here? I heard he was investigating before he disappeared. Did he leave any notes about what he found? I guess, he could have hidden them if they implicated someone...powerful." She whispers the last word.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The rumours about people going missing in this town are just that......rumours!

Steve is gone yes, but there is no confirmation that there was any malfeasance tied to his disappearance. As I said, he could have simply left town.

If he did keep records, I've never seen them. There were no notes or clues to his work left behind in the office anywhere.

Are you sure you wouldn't be more comfortable talking about this in my room?

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"No I have always preferred the outdoors. Not so sure what to make of this city. So crowded, noisy, and smelly. Not something that I'm used to." She pauses, "How does one become sheriff? Does someone appoint you to the position? What were you doing before taking up the post?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

What? Are you sure you are feeling ok?

This "city" as you call it is no more than a tiny backwater town in the middle of nowhere! It's far from crowded and although it is a little smelly, what town isn't? If you think this is crowded you must be from the deep country. I am from Crockport, where I served on the city guard. Now, that is a crowded and smelly city.

I was appointed to this position by the mayor herself, she is my third cousin twice removed so, she knew I was the right man for this job.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"Well I will certainly try to avoid any cities then. I doubt I could breathe in such a confined place."

"If there are no notes or logs of what happened here, how do you know that my husband was not arrested or, gods forbid, slain? I mean he was here before you arrived. Is there a holding place for those arrested or, Pelor preserve us, a place where the dead are taken and buried? Who is there to ask?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Well, I don't have notes about any missing people but, of course we keep logs on prisoners and deceased. We do have a holding cell but yer husband ain't in it. It's empty at the moment.

If you want to inquire about the dead and buried, you will have to see the priest.

Return to “Can You Help A Brother Out? (1E)”