Posting guidelines and rules

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting guidelines and rules

#1 Post by ToniXX »

This will be an OSRIC game. Download the OSRIC rules here if you don't already have them:
http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric

I may use some info from typical 1e sources if it's not covered in OSRIC, including UA (Unearthed Arcana). This probably won't happen much, and I'll note it if I use a rule or item from these sources.

Please follow these guidelines for posting in the action threads:

Regular action in black text
Dialog spoken to each other IN CHARACTER is blue or green is okay too
OUT OF CHARACTER discussion in the action thread in red. Use the 'ooc' BBCode to make it easier.

You can use any dice roller you want, but why not use the UnseenServant roller? If you do, use campaign number 55

I'll visit the forums most everyday, and post if necessary. I'd prefer it if everyone can post at least three times a week, and weekends are free. We all have real lives (you do, right?), and if something happens and you can't post or have to go missing for a while, just let me know. I'll run your character as an NPC while you're gone. If you want to completely leave, that's okay too, just say so and we'll find someone else to run your PC.

If you go missing without notice, I'll send you a PM to see what's up, so make sure you're set to get emails when you get a new PM.

I will communicate with players via PM when there is something happening to that PC that the others can't see or know about.

When it comes to ability checks, mainly thief stuff, I'll make the rolls for you. You roll saves and most everything else.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Posting guidelines and rules

#2 Post by ToniXX »

Rules about attacks per round, weapon in hand, movement, and other combat questions, in no particular order.

You are in melee distance from an opponent if it is within half of your movement rate (or less). This means that you can move half your distance, then attack, even if you get multiple attacks per round. If you have to move longer than half your rate, all you can do it move. If you have multiple attacks per round, you cannot move between attacks.

If you have a 3/2 attack, you get one attack on odd rounds, two attacks on even rounds.

If you have a 5/2 attack, you get two attacks on odd rounds, three on even rounds.

If you plan to change weapons, you may do so without penalty after the round, provided you specify that in your post (after you’ve declared other actions). Please note that in this case, you drop your first weapon (instead of sheathing it, slinging it on your back, etc), making it hard to pick it back up during combat. If you do attempt to pick up a dropped weapon, it will take one of your attacks for that round. If you have only one for that round, that is your action.

If you enter combat with a knocked arrow (you’ve specified this BEFORE combat starts), that must be your first attack, and you get your dexterity bonus for missile to-hit subtracted from the party’s initiative. For example: Let’s say the party rolled an initiative of 3 (meaning that the opponents attack on the 3rd segment), and the opponents rolled an initiative of 5 (meaning that the party attacks on the 5th segment). You have a dexterity of 18 (which gives you +3 on missile to-hit rolls), AND you’ve stated that you have an arrow knocked and ready to fire, you then move on the 2nd segment (5-3=2). Thus, you get off your first attack, then the opponents get their attacks, then the rest of the party attacks. If you have multiple attacks per round with this weapon, your further attacks this round happen with the party.

I hope this makes sense and clears a few things up. I’m sorry I didn’t do this earlier. I didn’t think about it much because I didn’t think there’d be so many of you with multiple attacks per round.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Posting guidelines and rules

#3 Post by ToniXX »

Rules regarding recovering missile weapons.

Arrows: Roll a die that is as close to the number shot in that combat, rounding up. The number on the die is the number of arrows recovered. Let's say you fire 7 arrows in combat, roll a d8, come up with 5: you get 5 usable arrows back. The other two are lost in the brush, broken off in their target, etc.

Magic arrows can always be recovered, but if they hit, they lose their magic, but can be used again as regular arrows.

Not arrows (hammers, daggers, etc): Same as arrows but roll a die that is DOUBLE the amount that are thrown. This increases the chance of recovering all (or nearly all) thrown items.

Magical daggers, hammers, etc will always be recoverable and will retain their magic after being thrown.

I realize that these rules, at least with regard to arrows, may not be very 'realistic' but what is in D&D? ;)

** EDIT **
Okay, here's another option for arrow recovery only: for each arrow shot, whether it hits or not, there is a 50% chance of recovering it.
Please pick a method that you'll use for this game on the next encounter, and whatever method you pick must be used for the rest of this adventure.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Incursion into Newiron - OSRIC”