I. Riddleport

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

I. Riddleport

#1 Post by dmw71 »

After docking in the the 'Windward District' (#7), at the base of the inner harbor (#3), the group agrees to accompany Captain Raleigh and his crew for a feast and drinks... except for Donald and Gregory, whom elect to take leave of the rest and set off on their own.

Captain Raleigh leads those that remain past a series of warehouses and cheap grog shops where merchant and pirate crews mingle in a haze of rum-soaked debauchery and blood. Taverns and shops have grimed windows and peeling paint hinting at a prosperity that no longer exists. All around can be heard the sound of pipes, concertinas, and tambourines and bodhran’s accompanying the singing of sea shanties and forecastle songs. There are also the shouts and cursing of drunken sailors and bar wenches. The reek of offal, smoke, sweat, rum and ale is almost overpowering, though a bit mitigated by the salty tang of the fog-laden and chilly breeze that sweeps in from the gulf.

In a residential quarter of hidden alleys and comfortable row houses, where the street outside is recently paved with relatively fewer broken cobblestones, the Captain leads the group to a single story, stone-walled building with a reinforced wooden door. Above the door, an engraved sign reading The Captain's Chambers rests. The group finds the stone foundation of this establishment, a rarity considering the previous buildings you've passed, a comforting feature.

Inside, a small serpent's skull hangs over the hearth, and the Captain, evidently not a stranger to this establishment, is met quickly by Mina, a young, but overworked server, and Wynaa, an elderly but cheerful woman.
Mina.png
Mina.png (32.81 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Wynna.png
Wynna.png (25.82 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

The pair of women quickly bring four tables, constucted of dwarf-wrought iron, together in order to accomodate the party of twelve. Once the appropriate seating has been made available, Mina briefly converses with Raleigh before disappearing into the kitchen, while Wynaa surries back and forth with pitches of water for each table, promising that future beverages more worthy.

An abundance of oil-burning lanterns keeps this common room well lit despite its scarcity of windows and natural sunlight. The group also notices a half-dozen hammocks hang in this common room.

---

No menu is presented, but food is quickly brought out from the kitchen. Each guest is served a bowl of steaming vegetable stew, a plate of steaming shellfish and a side of peas. Additionally, a large platter of cured sausage and a loaf of hazelnut bread is also served at each table.

After the group has had a chance to partake in the feast, a tall, sturdy-looking man with a well-trimmed beard filled with white hairs approaches the table. He and Raleigh exchange powerful handshakes. The Captain turns and introduces Hury Parre to the rest of his group, noting that the two used to sail together.
Hury Parre.png
Hury Parre.png (35.04 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Hury regognizes the members of Raleigh's original crew and greets them warmly. "You, I don't know." he says matter-of-factly to the seven volunteers.

"So, what brings you to Riddleport?"

----

Note:
The numbers referenced above (e.g. #7) will match a corresponding number found on the appropriate map in the new, 'Local Geography' topic.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: I. Riddleport

#2 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton dabs the remnants of shellfish and stew from the corners of his mouth, then folds his napkin and sets it on the table. He leans back, full and happy after partaking in the feast. "A fine meal," he tells Hury. "Very fine indeed."
dmw71 wrote:"So, what brings you to Riddleport?"
"The Devil's Mistress!" quips Pendleton. "A poor joke, I know, but it happens to be precisely correct in this instance. The good Captain was looking to employ some ship's hands. We had no other pressing obligations, so we signed on. He brought the ship to Riddleport, and here we are!"

"I wonder if you might tell me, Hury—what is there to do in this, ah, colorful town? Are there local attractions? Historical sites, perhaps? Museums or libraries? Other places that a man of learning might find to be worthwhile diversions?"

Did Pendleton get any information from the Captain about libraries or the Cyphergate?

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by ToniXX »

Morgan laughs lightly at Pendleton's joke, then stands, and with a small curtsy and a smile, introduces herself. I, good sir, am Morgan Ironwolf, daughter of Brandus Ironwolf, a merchant of note that has made many landings here in Riddleport over the years. I thank you kindly for this excellent meal and appreciate you generous hospitality in this otherwise inhospitable town.

She pauses for a moment and sits back down. She continues: Yes it is true, Captain Raleigh and his stout caravel have brought us here, but beyond that we have no particular goal at the moment. Do you need a hearty group of sell-swords to complete some nasty task? She looks at her companions then continues with a smirk We're up to it for sure.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sasha loosens her belt one notch as she sits back in her chair while finishing her drink. She looks at Hury and smiles, knowing full well that there is more to this man than he is letting on.

She adds to Morgan's confident inquiry.

Oh ya! If we can kill multitudes of sea snakes, I'm sure we can handle any other nasty tasks sent our way. She laughs as she remembers the joke she was recently part of.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Each guest is served a bowl of steaming vegetable stew, a plate of steaming shellfish and a side of peas. Additionally, a large platter of cured sausage and a loaf of hazelnut bread is also served at each table.
Dagg ignores the stew entirely, works on the shellfish ignores the peas, downs the sausage and bread. "Ah that was good eats." the dwarf loosens his belt one notch and leans back in his chair.
Hury regognizes the members of Raleigh's original crew and greets them warmly. "You, I don't know." he says matter-of-factly to the seven volunteers. "So, what brings you to Riddleport?"
"Eh can't say as if I know you either friend. Dagg's the name any what might yours be?" wondering how everyone else just happened to know the strange bearded man's name smiling at the joke "Aye it was the good captain and his ship n crew that brough us here. But I see you know him well already. Can't say what really brought us here perhaps the change of scenery the thrill of seeing a different part of the world, and of course the fun of hunting sea snakes with the good captain that is." chuckling remembering the joke the captain and his crew pulled on them.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

"Speak for yourself, Morgan" says Pendleton with a sly grin. "Some of us may be sellswords, but I'm a rentbrain at best!"
GreyWolfVT wrote:"Eh can't say as if I know you either friend. Dagg's the name any what might yours be?" wondering how everyone else just happened to know the strange bearded man's name
dmw71 wrote:The Captain turns and introduces Hury Parre to the rest of his group, noting that the two used to sail together.
Introductions usually include names. ;)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

"Ah, yes, my good man," Raleigh says, remembering Pendleton's earlier questions. "Distracted, I was, bringin' me ship in," he admits. "Not all of Riddleport is a pirate's playground," he begins, "This section we're in -- the Windward District -- is where ye'll wanna be," he says. "The people that study the Cyphergate -- the so-called cyphermages, call this district home."

"Speakin' of the arch, I really can't tell ye much 'bout it, other than what it looks like. Ye know how tall it is, and how long, and how wide. Ye probably also noticed that its sides bear massive runes and glyphs." he begins. "Some think the arch is actually the upper portion of a great stone ring, the bottom of which lies buried beneath the harbor... I don't know 'bot any of that," he finishes with a shrug, clearly unsure of such rumors. "The good captain's right," Hury chimes in, supporting his comrade at sea. "You'll probably need to talk with some fancy learners to find out more 'bout the arch."

"I can tell you pleny more 'bout other parts of Riddleport, though," Hury continues. "There's the arena (#11), the gambling hall (#10), the pyramid (#17), the fish bowl (#18), and, of course, the burying ground (#29) and the boneyard (#30/#31)."

"Now, there be plenty of opportunities for work here in Riddleport, especially for someone skilled with the blade, but I ain't hirin'. Maybe the arena be the best shot for you," he says, unable to take his eyes off Morgan.

---

Feel free to continue to ask questions, or request additional details about any of the places Hury mentioned.

Note:
Cyphergate dimensions: 350' tall, 700' wide, 35' thick.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

"Cyphermages?" repeats Pendleton. "There is an entire order devoted to the study of that gate? Fascinating. You are right—I really must speak to them. Where is their gathering place, to which I might venture and seek them out?"

He takes a sip of wine and looks around the table. "I admit that it may not be the best idea to split ourselves up so soon after arriving in a new town, but I don't imagine that this arena is my sort of place at all."

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by LtTibbles »

Elias takes to his food like a rat to cheese, or however the old saying goes, scarfing it down like it'll be his last meal on earth. Once his plates are cleared he helps himself to Dagg's ignored stew and peas.

"Fine enough cooking here I was worried foreign food wouldn't set well with me hehe." He grins in between scoops of stew until Hury appears and makes his introduction. "Elias Whitfoot, as my other compatriots have been saying we're here on a sort of adventure you could say, or rather looking for it. Sailing the sea was quite the experience but exploring a new land? That'll be something all together."
"I can tell you pleny more 'bout other parts of Riddleport, though," Hury continues. "There's the arena (#11), the gambling hall (#10), the pyramid (#17), the fish bowl (#18), and, of course, the burying ground and the boneyard."
His ears seem to perk up at the end of Hury's speech. "The Boneyard! Now that sounds interesting, what is it exactly?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

Welby listens quietly to the conversations going on around him. He doesn't join in, though, content to just listen, for now, and eat his food. The trip may have been fast, but the food still left a bit to be desired, by halfling standards, anyway...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dagg "Help yer self there Elias I don't care much for eatin' greens or veggies. I'm a meat, bread and potatoes dwarf." listening to the others Dagg perks up when he hears the mention of an arena "Even though not everyone here is interested the arena sounds like my kind of place. I'm not too keen on searching places like a boneyard or the burying ground."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The obvious ogling of Morgan was not missed by Sasha's keen eyes. She says nothing about it but shakes her head in disgust at the obvious chauvinistic display.
Maybe I should change her name to Jan? :lol:
The fish bowl sounds interesting as well so I wouldn't mind hearing a little more about that.

I must admit that I'm not a big fan of huge cities though. What are the surrounding lands of this area like?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

"From what I hear," Raleigh interjects, responding to Pendleton's inquiry, "The Cyphermages are a private group of mages that, over the years, have arrived here in Riddleport and dedicated themselves to studying the Cyphergate after becoming obsessed with it. They're a secretive lot, and those on the outside don't know what happens on the inside, but they make their home in the Cypher Lodge (#8)."

Hury replies to Elias and his question about the Boneyard (#31). "It's a ship graveyard, and gets its name from the many old hulks and collections of ships’ ribs that protrude from the swampy ground." he explains. "The whole area is a partially flooded salt marsh that is two- to three-feet deep, with hidden patches of quicksand." he adds with a sly grin, before following-up to Dagg's question about the arena (#11). "It is what you'd expect," he starts. "The area hosts brutal contests of strength and combat prowess between slaves, criminals, professional gladiators, and captured wild beasts and monsters are held here for the public’s entertainment," he says. "Occasionally, you'll get a formal duel by members of the city’s elite who wish to settle feuds in a public spectacle."

Raleigh fields Sasha's inquiry about the Fish Bowl (#18). "Is an open to the air, bowl-shaped structure that has a saltwater pool at its center, earning it its common nickname." he explains. "The pool frequently hosts various sorts of aquatic predators," he says excitedly. "Anything caught in the bay, like barracuda, reefclaws, and even the occasional giant octopus. There's also a temple at the site, and the pool is maintained by the local priests." he adds.

Neither Hury or Raleigh know much about what exists outside the isolation of Riddleport."The nearest port isn't exactly near here," Raleigh explains.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton raises one eyebrow. "Obsessed, you say? They sound like the kind of people one should approach carefully. Then again, that word has often been used to describe students who focus on deep knowledge of a specialized field. Perhaps I should pay a visit to the Cypher Lodge, especially since it is so close to where we are now."

He gets a throughful look on his face and doesn't say anything for a few minutes. "It is unusual that the Cyphergate should support sustained study over the long term," he finally says, mostly to himself (as his more didactic digressions tend to be). "Once something is that old and that well-studied, either its secrets become known or the scholarly community runs out of fresh angles on the same old unanswered questions. Either way, truly interesting and novel scholarship on the subject tends to become scarce. Perhaps they've fallen into historical Cypher Gate revisionism and factions that repeat the same old arguments at each other over and over again. That does tend to happen. I wonder what occupies the Cypher Mages' time? I wonder if they will tell me."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sasha gravitates slightly towards the learned mage, perhaps because he is the least offensive male of the group.

You know, I was just thinking that same thing Pendleton, she says with a wink.

If you need a sword hand to accompany you, I wouldn't mind learning more about the arch. It has to be more interesting than the fighting pits!

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dagg "So no other towns, or cities by road then? Everything's by boat around here?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton offers a little bow to Sasha. "I'd welcome your company—it's always wise to have someone with a good sword hand nearby."

He laughs good-naturedly at Dagg's question. "You haven't been in Riddleport for more than a few hours, and already you want to leave?"

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dagg "Now i didn't say that just thought it strange that there aint anything around here we can take a road to get to. Everything's by sea and ship from the sounds of it."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton looks to the ceiling and raises one finger in the air, an opening gambit to what his companions recognize all too familiarly as "junior professor mode."

"Actually, that Riddleport would be isolated is only to be expected," he says in the same tone he might use to lecture before a hall full of first-year students. "As Captain Raleigh told us, although Riddleport is now a somewhat more civilized town, it was originally founded as a pirate's den. The pirates who established the town would not have seen easy accessibility to the outside world as a desirable feature in their hideout. Indeed, given pirates' usual mode of travel, it makes sense that the town would only be accessible by ship. The pirates could come and go on their vessels, relatively secure from discovery or land-based attack. Even an attacking navy would have to venture into the cove through the Cyphergate to mount an offensive.

No, Dagg, I submit that it is not strange at all that Riddleport would only be accessible by sea and ship. It would have been surprising if it were otherwise!"

He pauses only briefly for a breath. "Now, then, one might wonder about the economy of such an isolated place. Food and other commodities must be expensive, since they do not grow nearby and must be brought by ship. Does the city produce any goods to trade with the outside world, or is it entirely a consumer economy? If so, what is its source of income? Intriguing questions, all, and perhaps worthy of further exploration if we have time. I'm so glad you brought it up."

Pendleton, pleased with his little mini-lecture on the ecology and economics of pirate hideouts, takes another drink of wine, oblivious to whether anyone at the table paid any attention to his talk.

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by LtTibbles »

Elias swirls the last of his ale in his mug staring at it for a time in thought. "Hmm...ship graveyard eh? You know the old saying about pirate ships and treasure, but if no one wants to trounce around a swamp all day I guess I could understand. Dagg if you're heading to the fighting pits I'm with you we could stand to get some gold in our pockets if we hedge our bets just right or....." He finished the rest of his drink and flashed a wicked grin at the dwarf. "If you decided to fight."

Return to “Dave's BX Game”