Game of Thrones: Against the Band of Nine PART I

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Game of Thrones: Against the Band of Nine PART I

#41 Post by Marullus »

(We have the one spearman who is alive and tied up. I assume we're trussing him in the wagon and taking him to the authorities in Stonehelm? Will we question him there? Or should we play out the questioning here?)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by max_vale »

OOC: Sorry, I forgot to put a blurb that he passed away while Tom was fixing up the Valmont crew….he was unconscious and bleeding out and would not have been high priority for Tom while his fellow guardsman was badly wounded. I DID mean to include that fact in a previous post…sorry about that! I WILL say that perhaps he could have been revived long enough to gasp out a few last words; in which he would have told Eduard (and/or whoever) that he and his mates were hired by 'someone rich enough to have gold-cloaks (the constables/city guards of King's Landing) on his payroll protecting him' to ambush a party with the Valmont colors on this stretch of road and to leave no survivors.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Marullus »

(Storywise, Eduard asked Darren to go to the speared man. So, we could say that he saw it was a lost cause and called Eduard and Stannis over [a convenient end to their awkward conversation]. That was all PCs heard it. Does that work?)

The sun rises on a festival, the air electric. See Eduard the Crimson Knight is as dour as ever, an almost palpable wet blanket in the midst of joy. He remains astride his massive horse, staying near his naive nephew. His only smile of the morning comes when he sees Normand and Septa Alyson, two of his Crimson Riders, raising his hand to hail them.

He conferences with them in low tones, relaying to them what befell them on the way... Most especially about the patronage. Amidst this whole feast it is only his own Riders that he can trust. He asks them to put his plan into motion - the archers will rotate, ensuring overwatch of his nephew, his scouts will report back what they hear regarding officials from Kings Landing or presence of gold cloaks so far into the Stormlands. Eyes and ears dispatched, he appears more calm and sets himself to counting banners, looking for Knights both friend and foe from his past endeavors for House Valmont.

smoke warrior
Tracker
Tracker

#44 Post by smoke warrior »

Asher decides he will set out to find his family's camp and scout it out not knowing if he wants make his presence know to his family yet. He also looks for a inn with empty rooms for the Three of them. He asks his cousin if he will be staying with them and if not where the should meet back up.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by max_vale »

Keep of Stonehelm and 'tent-city' in its environs; The Stormlands, Westeros; third week of the second month of the year 259 AL

As the two Valmont parties seperately arrive for the Tournament at Stonehelm; they both soon find activities to engage in along with lodging for the night in various establishments….

Darryn Drinkwater; after helping set up a tent with the appropriate banner for House Valmont flapping in the breeze on the top; asks and recieves permission to go quench his thirst for both ale and women. He has enough money on him; thanks to the windfall from collecting from the dead well-paid bandits; to be a bit more selective than usual. He finds a nice Inn and manages to secure one of the few rooms left; thanks to a Gold Dragon; while he also manages to land the company of one of the best-looking and most expensive doxies at the tournament; a stunning brunette who went by the name; 'Rianne the Rider'. Needless to say; he had a VERY delightful night and despite a slight hang-over; the next morning STILL saw the Valmont Master of the Hunt smiling when he returned to the Valmont tent. His smile faded to a look of shock and confusion upon seeing three people there he certainly hadn't expected to see; the 'runaway' Valmont son Asher; a scholarly-looking sort who bore a resemblance to someone he knew, but he couldn't quite place it; and finally a warrior who's appearance and arms were those of the far-off Dothraki horsemen he had heard plenty of tales about…

Ser Eduard had learned much from his contacts; including the fact that much of the royal family was gathering at Summerhall; something to do with the King's belief that he could hatch dragons from several eggs he had collected from the far-ends of the world and re-introduce the powerful creatures to Westeros and the Targaryen dynasty in particular. He also ascertained that the participants in this small tournament amounted to about a dozen Houses from the Stormlands and 3 or 4 from the Reach including such Stormland houses as Estermont, Foote, Hasty, Penrose, Selmy, Trant and of course, the host; Swann. The Reach participants were mostly small houses incuding Graceford, Beesbury and Foller. Of far more interest to the 'Scarlet Knight' was the fact that the Lord of the Stormlands himself, Ormund Baratheon and the Master of Whisperers himself, Lord Layton 'Longshot' was in attendance. He could not see an immediate reason why the King's spy-master would be at a small tournament like this; but it was definitely intriguing. Eduard saw that his wounded men were looked at by some Septons/Septas who knew a bit more about healing than Tough Tom; and he was pleased that they reported to him that his men would almost certainly heal-up just fine as long as they got some rest. Eduard got a good night's rest and awoke the next morning wondering about what this day would bring. It seemed inevitable that his nephew would enter the lists for the Joust while Master of the Hunt Drinkwater would enter the Archery contest; he was wondering how to make the best usage of his time here when a most unexpected sight greeted him in the form of 3 people approaching the Valmont tent. His nephew Asher; a Dothraki warrior with a dangerous gleam in his eyes and a nasty grin and the final person who dominated his attention; his son Keyth…

Ser Gannis Valmont could barely keep his excitement in check; he practically LIVED for tournaments. He dutifully helped Darryn, Tough Tom and Young Rory with setting up the tents and accompanied his uncle Eduard in ensuring that the wounded Sour Sam and Jon, the other guard; were doing fine as reported by some helpful Septons and Septas. He then ate an agreeable meal while listening to minstrels of varying quality and retired for the night to enjoy several dreams of excelling in jousts. He awoke, quite eager to enter his name on the lists for the Joust that would start that afternoon; but was surprised by the sight of his brother Asher; a Dothraki warrior and his cousin Keyth….maybe?…..walking up to the tent….

Keyth Storm enjoyed a relaxing evening at an Inn, listening to silly, lewd, clever, heroic and some flat-out awful songs as performed by several different minstrels of various talent levels. He drank a bit more than he probably should have; but after the events of earlier; it was VERY nice to simply be somewhere where having a relaxing drink or four was an option. His new acquaintance, Alan 'Quicksilver' had very smoothly vanished into the crowd and Keyth used some of his newly acquired wealth to get a decent room in an Inn with an actual roof and a soft-bed and had the best sleep he had enjoyed in some time. The following morning; after joining his cousin Asher and the ever-present and almost always silent Voqarro; they moved to the make shift 'tent city' that had sprouted up outside the Stonehelm Keep and upon seeing the Valmont banner flapping in the breeze; they made their way over towards it; while Keyth wondered if he really wanted to see relatives he hadn't seen in a long time just then. He soon made out a party of several men including what appeared to be a grown up version of his cousin Gannis, and the unmistakable sight of his father Eduard…

Asher Valmont had spent the evening enjoying good food and drink and doing his best to ensure Voqarro didn't kill any of the numerous idiots, usually drunk, who came close to him and said insulting things to a man who could quite probably fill them full of arrows OR slice them to ribbons with his Arakh in less time than it took them to spout the same old insults and ignorant stereotypes that had led to bloodshed since time began. Normally, Asher would have been more than happy to both let Voqarro slice these idiots to pieces and even join him if necessary; but seeing as how they were here for a tournament; it wouldn't be a great idea to start it of by killing people before the tournament even began. Before long; Asher led the rapidly-growing-furious Dothraki back to some out-of-the-way sleeping quarters and spent the night cat-napping and sleeping uneasily as he feared some idiot trying to do something in the middle of the night; but thankfully nothing of the sort happened. The next morning; the final calls for joining the Jousting, Archery and Melee tournaments were being made and Asher and company spied the sight of the Valmont sigil flying over a tent. Leading his cousin and blood-brother towards it; Asher soon caught sight of his Uncle Eduard; Darryn Drinkwater the huntsman and his brother Gannis. A smile split his face as he approached his House's tent….

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Marullus »

Ser Eduard sips at a hot morning beverage by the table as he discusses the plans for the day. A young page approaches, taking the names for the melee competition. Ser Eduard squares his strong shoulders and looks at the lad fiercely. "When I draw my sword, lad, it is to kill men," he says curtly. "We won our spurs in war, not in pretend." As the lad flinches, he softens. "Begone, boy. Let the games be for the younger men." He runs his hand over his red-hair-gone-gray, or what is left of it. Brahman, one his riders, finishes a joke. "...and they all were routed instead. The only thing retreating about Ser Eduard is his hairline!" His companions let out a roar of laughter while he contents himself with a draught of his hot drink.

He dips a hunk of black bread into his flagon, chewing it thoughtfully as he sees the approaching trio. A host of emotions cross his face in a moment before settling in a stoic scowl. His eyes are fixed on Keyth, looking him over. His size. He's grown up. The curly dark hair of his mother. That is his uncle's coloring, so like his uncle. His form. Still too slender to be a warrior, and he carries no weapons. His attire. No maesters chain, no house sigils. He watches them approach, silent. What has he made of himself, then? Anything?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by Enoch »

"Well," Keyth says as he ducks into the tent and looking from one person to another, "Isn't this nice? A true family reunion. Any idea why I was summoned here? I presume the rest of you all were as well."

His voice cools as his eyes adjust to the light and he spies Eduard. "Hello, Father. I'm surprised to see you. You were eager enough to be rid of me, last I saw you." His shoulders seem tight and he looks just to the left of his father's head, refusing to make eye contact.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Marullus »

Ser Eduard quirks an eyebrow at the word 'summoned' - a moment of involuntary surprise. The entire tent grows silent, the frivolities of the Crimson Rider's breakfast coming to an abrupt end as the tension becomes palpable. Ser Eduard lets Keyth finish speaking, lets his cold words hang in the air, letting them turn to an awkward silence. After that moment he speaks, his words measured, solemn. "I sent you to make something of yourself. Have you?" He looks Keyth over pointedly from top to bottom. "What is it, then, that you have chosen to be?"

His eyes remain fixed on Keyth, it is possible he has not yet even recognized the presence of Asher, nor his Dothraki.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Upon hearing the Foller's were present, Darryn reached a measured decision. He had taken advantage of the good-Lord Foller's hospitality without invitation, but it had happened a long time ago now. And he had never been caught, so he doubted anyone had even known who they were after. It was unlikely any of this lot of Foller's would know who had done something they had only heard about years ago.

On the other hand, if he were to win the contest his name would be know for that deed, which would win him free drinks, complimentary meals and, perhaps, an evening with a woman he would not need to spend money on. Not that he would mind spending another dragon or ten on Rianne the Rider. The establishment's owner had hinted she had a friend and liked to "ride double."

The decision was made with that thought and he put his name on the list - well he told the man at the desk what to write, at any rate. He made his way back tot the Valmont encampment to check in, for he knew that, while he was no soldier, he was net entirely a freeman. He was astonished to see the trio. He approached the one he recognized, offering a hand. Asher! What brings the prodigal son back across't the sea? Surely not to enter in a tournament such's this. He looked to the other, two, pausing at the savage accompanying Asher. He had heard of the Dothraki, but mostly about their women. He wondered what this man would be like.

smoke warrior
Tracker
Tracker

#50 Post by smoke warrior »

Asher smiles at the master of hunt." I am here for 2 reasons and one being to enter the grand melee. If you watch close enough you will get to see a master swordsman at work." Asher says with a laugh.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by max_vale »

Keep of Stonehelm and 'tent-city' in its environs; The Stormlands, Westeros; third week of the second month of the year 259 AL

As the awkward reunion between various members of House Valmont is occurring; various page boys and heralds are gathering the final lists of participants in the various events of the tournament and posting the rules for said events as well. The official proclamation of the Tournament's start was to occur that night at sundown; followed by a massive outdoor feast with minstrels and dancers providing entertainment; while the various events would begin the following day, starting at noon. The tournament was to last 3 days with an award ceremony for the event champions occurring at sun-down on the third day.

By the time of the introductory speech by Lord Swann; the lists had been finalized and Ser Gannis would be one of 16 Knights competing in the Joust. He would be facing such noted tourney Knights as Ser Kallin Penrose and Ser Wylick Beesbury. The rather notorious Ser Erevan Trant was there as well; a Knight with a reputation for aiming at his opponents' helmets and/or horses; and the home-town favorite; the jovial and a little-over-the-hill-but-still-going-strong Ser Jonathor Swann. Gannis' first opponent was a relative unknown; the young Ser Bryick Hasty….

Darryn Drinkwater would be one of a dozen competitors in the Archery event; which would occur two days hence; with a few names that Darryn recognized such as Sergeant-of-the-guard Yaroly 'True-Aim' and Avell Graceford; both of whom he knew to be champions of other tournaments. He was a bit nervous about the presence of a Ser Sebastion Foller in the tournament; but he figured that it was highly doubtful he'd have any idea who Darryn was…

Asher Valmont studied the rules of the Melee event and was pleased to see that it would be composed of fifteen teams of two men each; with the rules being that any blood drawn; any knock-down or anyone dropping or being disarmed of their weapon took them out of the tournament and gave a point to the team who achieved this result. He was NOT particularly pleased by the fact that he melee would be conducted with a choice of either a wooden mace or a wooden sword; but he shrugged it off and explained the rules to his Dothraki companion; happy to know that the event started tomorrow afternoon and would continue the following day if necessary.

Keyth and Eduard maintained an uneasy close companionship while in public and both were lost in their own thoughts while the opening ceremonies occurred that night; taking in the meal and the sights with sharp senses. Both wondered about the bandit attacks and any possible connection it may have with the various participants of this tournament. During the festivities; both quietly received a message to attend a 'quiet' meeting with Lord Quintus Swann, Lord Ormund Baratheon and Master of Whisperers Layton 'Longshot' the following night; with instructions to come alone to the Keep two hours after sundown, where they would be directed to the appropriate chamber by the guards at the main Keep gate….

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

smoke warrior wrote:Asher smiles at the master of hunt." I am here for 2 reasons and one being to enter the grand melee. If you watch close enough you will get to see a master swordsman at work." Asher says with a laugh.
I will be happy to watch. As for me, I prefer to keep my sword-play private but I will confess I battled an expert last night. And I do believe I got the best of her. Darryn gave Asher a wink. What I am most interested in now is to hear tales of your travels. Who is your companion?

As the hours wore on, Darryn enjoyed getting reacquainted with Asher and joking with the rest of the Valmont men, but he gave a wide berth whenever Eduard and Keyth were near one another. When Eduard was not nearby, he did try to engage Keyth in conversation as well, eagerly listening to stories of his travels.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Marullus »

Eduard's question hung awkwardly in the air, Keyth either hesitating or unwilling to answer. The tension was broken by Matron Ellia, the bawdy, buxom middle-aged former Septa who helped raise the boy and now serves in the Crimson Riders. "Keyth! My little man!" she exclaims, rushing towards him. She embraces him, smothering his face and head with kisses. "Never mind your father... He missed you every day." She gives Eduard a reproachful look and pulls Keyth to a chair to hear his tales with Drinkwater and the others. Eduard falls into silence, listening to the tales of the others, his heavy question swept from the air.

It seems the day might pass without another word between the pair, until lunchtime, when Eduard asks Keyth and Asher both, "You said you were... Summoned?"

Return to “Game of Thrones: Against the Band of Nine”