Game of Thrones: Against the Band of Nine OOC

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Game of Thrones: Against the Band of Nine OOC

#1 Post by max_vale »

Out of Character Thread.....

Okay, so welcome aboard peoples! We've got smokewarrior, synthalus and rustytincanne; interested in playing: a veteran sellsword (with a Dothraki companion); a Knight; and possibly a maester or an archer/crossbowman/smallfolk warrior of some kind.

Smoke: I think your idea is fine; though please note that one of my houserules will be that abilities will have a starting maximum of 5......the reason why is because I want the party to be capable; but NOT well-known to Westeros at large and I think people with abilities at the 6 and 7 level would be pretty well known. The rationale for this will become clear as the game progresses; so sorry, I know you had PM'd about having a truly epic-level Swordsman....but if you have a 5 and multiple Specialty dice; he's still gonna be pretty bad-ass! :)

Synthalus: I'm cool with having a "Cavalier" type; but please note that some parts of the adventure will have some 'shady, commando-style' parts in them....so you may want to play a bit more "Barristan Selmy" than "Sir Galahad"....also, I will do by best to have some times were you can do the whole mounted-combat thing; but I'll be totally honest; I'm not a horse person (I find them to be way too much like cats.....I don't much care for high-strung animals; I like dogs...dumb and friendly! :) ); so a lot of this will be of your own making.....which I definitely encourage by the way! Just because I don't like horses; doesn't mean I'm gonna hold it against you doing some wonderful RPing on the bond between a Knight and his horse. :)

Rusty: I don't really have anything to post for you yet; other than the obvious: have you decided what kind of character you want to run?

Everybody: Okay.....do you guys want to do the whole "Roll up a House" thing (I.e. you're all a part of the same House) or you do just want each character to be from different places? I'm perfectly cool with either option.

Welcome aboard people!

smoke warrior
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Game of Thrones: Against the Band of Nine OOC

#2 Post by smoke warrior »

I like rolling up the house idea and I'll need to remodel my guy then I will pm him to you

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by max_vale »

Cool deal; no worries!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I was at a job-related conference all weekend, so between prepping, driving there, sitting in "class" 8+ hours for 2.5 days and then driving back, I just managed to purchase the rules right now. I'll get reading them over the next few days in my spare time. (Read "Extra long bathroom breaks at work with an ipod in hand.")

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by max_vale »

:)

No worries amigo; take your time!

smoke warrior
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by smoke warrior »

First thing we should decide is where we are from

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

smoke warrior wrote:First thing we should decide is where we are from
Crap. I already made a different decision though! :P

I think the pre-built scout character is a nice basis fro my character. He'd be ~40 years old. One change I would make would be to give up a point in athletics or stealth in exchange for a rating of 4 with Animal handling. If Smoke gets a dothraki and synth gets a horse, then I want to have a dog! ;)

But seriously. I want a dog.

I might also swap out the sword for an axe. Because that is more rugged and woodsman-like. Chopping wood for fires. Knives for gutting kills and digging wild onions out of the ground. Hmmm. Maybe I'll need to shave a point or two to get a wilderness cooking skill. :)

Need to come up with a name. No last name for me. Just a retainer with no notable background.

Off to bed now!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by max_vale »

Horses, Dogs....I'm SURE a Raven or two will come up at some point! :)

The beginning of the adventure (I'm thinking of a trip to a City for a tournament) will be fine for the animals; but keep in mind the shady/commando style missions that will come later MAY require the animals to stay behind. Dogs and horses aren't exactly STEALTHY.....:)

Okay; if everyone wants to do the "we're all from the same house" thing; I'll roll up the location using this quick 'roll a d8' table I put in the Recruitment thread:

1-The North
2- The Riverlands
3- The Westerlands
4- The Vale
5- The Crownlands
6 - The Reach
7- The Stormlands
8- Dorne

And the result is:

1d8 = 7

The Stormlands it is! I will divvy up the rolls for the different aspects of the House to each of you in a bit. Anybody got any ideas for a name and/or family crest? (The Crest can be randomly generated too, if desired)

Some of the Stormland Houses include: Baratheon, Swann, Selmy, Dondarrion, Connington, Cole, Penrose. (Just giving some ideas)

Much of the Stormlands is rocky, hilly, wooded, along a craggy coast or all of the above. The Kingswood and Rainwood lie withing the borders of this region; as does the "Dornish Marches"; a stretch near the borders of Dorne, the Reach and the Stormlands which has seen a LOT of fighting over the centuries. The Red Mountains of Dorne form the South/Eastern edge while grassy plains and hills covers much of the rest.

There are no major cities in the Stormlands; but some of the more famous castles/towns/holdings include: Storm's End; Harvest hall; Griffin's Roost; the Island of Tarth (the 'Sapphire Island'); Blackhaven; Crow's Nest; Fawnton; Nightsong and Rain House.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

max_vale wrote:Dogs and horses aren't exactly STEALTHY.....:)
Fine. Maybe I can do without a dog then. (I'll just take a puma instead. :P )

I really don't have much of a preference for location, town, crest, etc. Other than that I don't like the notion of flayed people or pink banners much.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by max_vale »

Awww; no Pink shield with flayed kittens? :)

No; the Dog is fine; just keep in mind when some of the war missions start; he/she may not play much of a part.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

With seven attributes, that leaves ~2 rolls for each of us. I propose we let max_vale roll for one of the attributes since he is being generous enough to narrate our story. :) Here are my rolls for the 1st and 4th resources, followed by a template that includes the modifiers for a House in the Stormlands.

Defense: [7d6] = 33
Law:[7d6] = 21

House Resources:
  • Defense 33 +5 = 38
    Influence X +0 =
    Lands X -5 =
    Law 21 +10 = 31
    Population X -5 =
    Power X +5 =
    Wealth X +0 =
I can either edit this template after all the rolls are made, or you can just copy/paste it and include your rolls.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I haven't had a chance to read through the entire book, but I have read a bunch about both character and house creation. Though it seems time consuming, I think it will be fun to go through the process with you all if you all are interested.

If it is too laborious, I am happy to have one person roll everything up and reveal the house to us as a finished product.

Smoke and Synth: Were you two going to generate your characters from the book or use Archetypes? If you are going to build yours, will you just do it, or should we all work through it together?

Any preferences on this stuff Max_Vale?

smoke warrior
Tracker
Tracker

#13 Post by smoke warrior »

I am making mine and Syns guy from scratch if you need help I have experience with this game so don't be afraid to ask.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by max_vale »

I'm happy with either method.....and as for the 'group house/character' build; either way is fine, but it might be for a longer set-up time before the game actually gets going.

Which is fine with me; but I'm not sure what everyone's patience-level is. :)

Whenever you have a character idea/stat-build (even if its just a rough-draft); feel free to PM me or post it here. We can always make changes as needed.

-Max

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

What is our campaign number?

Edit: I have completed up through Step 4 so far and am happy to get any feedback you might have. Everything is picked unless noted otherwise:
Role: Expert (hunter)/Rogue

Determine Background: 3 events that shaped his life (one for each age above youth). [2d6] = 7[2d6] = 8 and [2d6] = 5
Achieved a significant deed, kept the company of a famous individual and were kidnapped and escaped, were ransomed, or rescued.

1. Narrowly escaped being arrested for hunting in a lesser lord's woods while traveling through The Reach.
2. Earned a place as a house huntsman by winning first prize in an archery tourney and the house.
3. Guided Lord Ormund Baratheon hunting for boar as a young adult. (I am pretty sure that is the correct timeframe for our campaign.)

Goal: [2d6] = 8 Security – Wants to ensure he has continued access to the Lord’s woods, table, ale and wenches.
Motivation: Stability. As above.
Virtue: Dutiful – will do as he is asked by those of higher status to ensure good standing.
Vice: Libido – he likes the ladies and likely has a few bastard-born children.
Abilities and Specialties:
  • Agility – 3
    Animal Handling – 3
    Athletics – 3, run (1B)
    Awareness – 4, notice (1B)
    Cunning – 2
    Endurance – 4
    Fighting –3, short blades (1B)
    Marksmanship – 5, bows (1B)
    Persuasion – 3, seduce (1B)
    Stealth – 3, sneak (1B)
    Survival - 4, hunt (1B), track (1B)
    Warfare - 1 (gain 50 exp)
    Will – 3
    All Others - 2
Destiny Points: 2
Benefit(s)
  • Great Hunter - When making Fighting tests or Marksmanship tests to attack an animal, you may add a number equal to your Survival ranks to your test results. In addition, you may treat one bonus die as a test die when mak- ing Survival tests to hunt.
    Keen Senses - Each time you would test Awareness to notice something, you may re- roll a number of 1s equal to the number of bonus dice you possess for the Notice specialty. Also, increase your passive Awareness result by a number equal to your Cunning ranks.
    Blood of the Andals - Once per day, add 2 to the result of any one test you have just made. As well, choose one ability in which you have 3 or more ranks. Whenever you test this ability, you may reroll a single die. You must take the result of the second roll, even if it’s worse than the first.
Drawback(s)
  • Lascivious - Your first Persuasion test in an intrigue must use Seduce; –1D on Charm.
Personal Gear: don't know how to generate starting coin
  • Dagger – 1 lb – 20 ss
    Dirk – 1 lb – 20 ss
    Bow, hunting – 3 lbs – 100 ss vs Bow, long – 3 lbs – 900 ss and takes (1B) to use
    2x 12 arrows – 2 lbs – 20 ss
    no armour?
    Backpack – 1 ss
    Candle (pair) – 2 cp
    flint and steel – 2 cp
    Traveler’s Garb – 3 ss ???
    Belt pouch – 8 cp
    Rope – 10 cp
    Torch – 1 cp
    Waterskin – 8 cp
    Bed roll - ???
Intrigue Defense: 8
Composure: 9
Combat Defense: 9 (minus armour penalty (if taken) and parrying weapons)
Health: 12
Armor Rating: 0 (2 for soft leather; -1 penalty)
Damage:
  • dagger/dirk - 1
    long bow - 5 (takes 1B to fire)
My concept is that he was born to smallfolk somewhere in the Stormlands, learning to hunt from his uncle. He excelled with his bow and used that skill to journey in Westeros until he hunted on the lands of a petty, lesser lord in the Reach. He fled back to the Stormlands and entered a tourney. He won the archery contest (perhaps an actual hunting contest, bringing down an albino stag?) and was asked to stay on as a huntsman of the house. The third event was just a brainstorm from the chart.

I chose the Abilities and Specialties I figured an expert hunter/rogue might have, adding in a bit of persuasion/seduction due to his drive to chase women. I cannot decide if he is too specialized to spread too thin. What are your thoughts about the following things:

- Should I swap the fighting specialty to Axes (for woodsman's axe) or keep it to the Short Blades (for dagger/dirk)? I went with short blades because I can see the axe getting in the way if I am stalking enemies/prey.
- Should he have more abilities for playing with Intrigue? (This guy is built more like a murder-hobo.)
- Can I drop to Warfare (1) and Cunning (2) (gaining 60 points)? It allowed me to upgrade to Awareness (4) so I can pick up the Keen Senses benefit? (It allowed me to increase to Persuade (4) for seduction or Endurance (4) for increasing Health to 12.)
- Are there any other abilities or specialities I should think about getting due to his background? If so, what do you think should/could be sacrificed to do so?
- Is it worth going to one Destiny Point to pick up the Night Eyes or Deadly Shot benefit?
- How do I test status to determine starting coin!? I am totally stuck on this.*
- Should I get some armor? It is unlikely a huntsman would use it, but then again, I guess we are planning for combat, so maybe I would be "given" some by the Lord of the House...
- I increased Endurance to 4 so I could have 12 Health. He would have a better chance of getting lucky if I increased his Persuasion to 4 instead. Thoughts? Maybe Agility instead?

All feedback is welcome! :)

Please note that this has been edited several times since initially posting it, so feel free to reread it to see changes.

* If starting coin is just the #d6 of your status, I would have [2d6] = 9 dragons.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by max_vale »

Hey Rusty; I only have time for a quick post and I don't have my book handy at the moment so I can't answer some of the rules questions for you, sorry!

As for which options to take….having never played the game, I really don't have much to offer on that score either; but off the top of my head I think your character looks fine….I think the Knives/Short blades vs Axes choice would actually make sense either way as I can totally see a hunter type of character being skilled in either….Knives for skinning/means of defense if an animal gets in too close and Axes for wood-cutting, path-clearing, etc. So I think either is fine; go with whatever suits you best.

The lack of intrigue stuff I think is okay; given your character background type…..plus you DO have the Seduce/Persuasion which might come in handy if you need to get some intel from some serving wenches or ladies of the evening who might know something interesting. We'll leave it to the Knight and possibly the sellsword for the intrigue skills of a different nature!

I'll check the book tomorrow for info on starting coin and if you can lower multiple skills for the points, etc. All in all though; character looks great! :)

Oh yeah….and I don't have a campaign ID as I was planning on doing all the rolls myself (or you guys can); with the character sheets just put in a separate thread since the rule-set is so different from D&D games. Is that cool? If people really want to; I can create a campaign ID.

Thoughts?

Oh yeah…..Synthalus; are you still out there amigo?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by max_vale »

Hey Rusty;

Okay, so looking through my book, while it doesn't explicitly say so; I can't see any other way that makes sense for how to generate starting coins other than to just say; Roll all your status dice and add them up and this is how many gold dragons you get. So, in your case, yes....roll 2d6 and that's how many gold dragons you get....and whatever you get, you have to spend half during character creation.

I'll go ahead and be generous and say that if you roll less than 7; you start with 7; how's that? :)

As for lowering skills.....I see nothing that says you can't lower more than 1 skill to 1 and get the points; so it's perfectly cool to go to Warfare 1 and get +50 points. (Note that you're not actually lowering Cunning to 2 as ALL skills start at 2. Unless I missed something though; your character as listed completely adds up.

Hope that helps!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

max_vale wrote:(Note that you're not actually lowering Cunning to 2 as ALL skills start at 2. Unless I missed something though; your character as listed completely adds up.
Ha! I worked on him for a few hours and initially I had boosted Cunning to 3. By the time I had finished with all the edits and figuring, I had dropped Cunning back to 2. By the time I was submitting the final draft that you are reading, it hadn't occurred to me that I wasn't actually dropping the stat. Just tired.

As for starting coin, I listed a link that night, doing what you had suggested, so I'll use 9 as my starting coin.

Glad he looks good. Any input form Synth and Smoke is welcome. :) I am particularly interested in thoughts about weaponry: short blades vs axe (addressed by Max), and whether you think a hunter would forsake his hunting bow in favor of a long bow when going into battle. Thoughts?

And if no one else has time to do it, I can roll up the rest of the house stats for us too.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by max_vale »

Hey Rusty; it's starting to look more and more like synthalus is gone and I know smoke only has limited time on the boards; so go ahead and make all the rolls for the house's starting attributes.

Also; welcome aboard jdluna! Please take a look a the threads and go ahead and write up a character. I will create a character thread today at some point and post Rusty's character on it.

Smoke, whenever you get the chance, PM me or post your character concept with stats and once we get the characters statt'd up and posted on here; we'll get the House info squared away and then the adventure can get started.

-Max

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by jdluna »

What rulebook are we using?

Return to “Game of Thrones: Against the Band of Nine”