Chp. 8 - Please Save the Children!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chp. 8 - Please Save the Children!

#421 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry: "I'm not a fighter, but I imagine clambering out of a hole is hardly the most strategically desirable way to enter a fray. If you insist on looking after Asherrion, I would suggest an overland route.

"But given his propensity for strange transformations, Asherrion's probably already been turned into another spidercock, or somesuch."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#422 Post by Grognardsw »

As the adventurers speculate about Asherrion, they hear a cry of "hello!" come from up the hill. They look up and see the gray elf sauntering down. He is covered in blood and muck but seems in a good spirit.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#423 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion the ashen grey elf comes down the hill, grinning from ear to ear and bright eyed.

Well, I got rid of the thingie-thingie. It was some kind of traveller that was stuck here, not a bad monster or anything. I was able to give it some information about that battle back at the caves: you know with the grey monsters that fought the orcs, the same ones that captured me and erased my memory? Anyway, he... what was his name... Nrrgzt'ststlo of Antares Six, whatever that means. Anyway, Nrrgzt'ststlo just went to see if the sky-ship the grey guys crashed in would help.

So the whole orgy thing was form some kind of wave or something that he says he gave off. Kind of like when smelling baking bread makes your mouth water? Except instead of making your mouth water, he made you want to do... um. He made you feel real good about um...
Asherrion turns a bit red, showing through his grey. The grin begins to melt as he realizes...

Well, anyway, it's all taken care of. I don't think he had anything to do with the missing children so we should probably search elsewhere.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#424 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry leaps to attention. "Spidercock went to the site of the battle? So it knows the way to the Caves of Chaos? Are they near?

"It has been two years since we were pulled from the Keep. I... I hate to think of my... enemies having enjoyed two more years of breath, and would eagerly return to rectify the situation. Let the villagers and their children twist in the wind. Who cares if the world is shy a half dozen shepherds?"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#425 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion replies, It left and is far gone, I believe. I wouldn't advise following it anyway: the ratios are wrong in this band for its influence. I like you, Porph, but not like that.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#426 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown, Conjurer

Wrenly feels he has probably never been more relieved than the moment Asherrion appeared walking down the hill. He tries to follow the exchange between the grey skinned elf and Porphyry, but gets lost in all the "cave" and "chaos" talk. Upon Porphyry's suggestion that they follow the creature he grows alarmed. At Asherion's assurance that they cannot, he relaxes again. "Look, fellows... the children. We simply must press on to their rescue if we can. Without our aid they have no chance. Let's follow the map to the standing stone and see what we find there. It's the least we can do. Think of the children." Somehow, even when sincere, he manages to come off as a second rate stage performer, which is no surprise, seeing as that's exactly what he is... "Besides, I've got this really great new incantation I'd like to try out. C'mon, it'll be fun," he says.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#427 Post by AleBelly »

"Healing" says Wulfhart, as deep in thought as he can get. "I'm hurt. And I take a lot of abuse. Do we have any healing among us? If not, we should rest before heading elsewhere to find the children."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#428 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh looks up from his whttling.

"I ssssay look for the human hatchlingssss. I have had tormentssss of the mind enough for now - let the beassst in peaccce. Are we ready to go?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#429 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal looks at his own battered body.

I'm with Wulfie! We need to heal up a bit and then get to that stone so Brownie here can bedazzle us with his new magic show. He winks at the Mage to show he is just kidding. Just in case the new spell turns thieves into a newts or some such.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#430 Post by Grognardsw »

It is only about 10:00 am in the new morning. You have only been up a few hours since the rest of last night.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#431 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown, MU
OGRE MAGE wrote:Fingal looks at his own battered body.

I'm with Wulfie! We need to heal up a bit and then get to that stone so Brownie here can bedazzle us with his new magic show. He winks at the Mage to show he is just kidding. Just in case the new spell turns thieves into a newts or some such.
"Oh, yes, you're going to love it, just love it!" replies Wrenly, excited at the prospect. "It's quite dramatic. Delightful." He completely misses the joke and the wink both. "Regarding healing: I propose we stop by the town, find a priestly type and trade him the greater healing magic on this scroll," he pats the scroll case containing the clerical scroll "...for some lesser, right now healing for the injured members of our party."

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#432 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn thinks back to their stay in the egg and braiding beards ...then comes back to reality. Good to see yur ok Ash, we was worried you were getting creamed up there!! as he gives Ash a welcoming nod...Let's check out that standing stone thingy Brownie's talking about.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#433 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion the ashen grey orgy guy elf agrees, Yes, Groyn, to the standing stone!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#434 Post by Grognardsw »

The party makes their way down the hill, reaching the bottom in about 45 minutes. As they trek through the woods they see a bear on a ridge about 300' distant. It has something caught on its rear paw - perhaps a bit of cloth.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#435 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry nods towards the bear with palpable resignation. "Goes to show. We'll... ah, we'll need to see what that bear has in its paw."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#436 Post by AleBelly »

Wulfhart looks at the item stuck to the bear's paw, but he can't be sure what it is at this distance. He has a guess, though. "Is that toilet paper?" he asks loudly. "I guess it is true what they say about what bears do in the woods!" He laughs a little too hard at his own joke.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#437 Post by saalaria »

Swil is too busy looking for a decent stream to wet his skin in, he doesn't see the bear till the others talk about it.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#438 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown, MU
Is Beatrix, Wrenly's mule, still tied up at the bottom of the hill? If so he'll collect her, then...
Wrenly will try to get out of the line of the bear's direct path, if it is indeed coming in their direction. "Do we have a means by which we can track this bear? Or approach it near enough to see what's on its paw without confronting it? Clearly dealing with this bear in some manner is in our future, but I'd hate to kill a beast, or, indeed, be killed by a beast unneccesarily," he says quietly.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#439 Post by Grognardsw »

Wrenly's mule is gone. The wizard sees tracks a little ways before he loses them in vegetation. Beatrix seems to have been led away.

The adventurers observe the large brown bear, perhaps a king grizzly, about 300' away on a ridge, moving away from the group. While there are no rangers in the company, there may be enough woodsman experience for the fellowship to track it. They realize a full sprint could catch them up to the bear, though it may judge such as hostile.
There are no rangers in LL basic rules, but we'll say the barbarian and elves are naturey enough to have some innate tracking. 10% per level, roll every turn (10 rounds).

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#440 Post by greyarea »

Wren, I think I saw our visitor of ecstasy with your mule. He seemed to enjoy it for sustenance, says Asherrion. We could attempt to follow that bear. Let's see if I can track it...

Asherrion tries tracking the beast.

tracking [1d100] = 70
I don't see any tracks,he muses.

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”